Sedona Trail Conditions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sedona Trail Conditions

Its been a frozen and cold couple of weeks here in Sedona. Most trails are finally in riding shape, but several have been hammered by all trail users. Its interesting to see what area dries out first which is typically the area west of the airport and east of the high school. And what dries out later than expected, such as the Jordan, Teacup, thundermountain area. Finally, what seems to even still hold a little snow and a surprising amount of muck is all of Dry Creek Road. VOC and things like bell rock to Broken Arrow is or was a muckfest up until recently. 90% of that is finally ridable. All due to warmer temps at night to allow the snow and ice to melt.
    This winter snow and ice event is not the typical wet weather recovery effort. Typically trails dry out with a couple of days but this winter so far has complicated getting your riding stoke. Base rule of thumb is to ride while things are still frozen in the morning. But that can lead to ice on the trail in places where you do not want to fall. Case in point. The Hogs. But wait too long and mud and trail damage soon follows. Later on I hope to write up a PSA for responsible riding in the Red Rocks, which trails are quick to dry and which to avoid, keeping the trails in good shape, etc. Just now days, even us old farts learn a thing or two. But now we are in a drying trend, but who knows what will happen during the next storm. Geeze, I sound like a weatherman.
    Oh, and Hangover is now free of ice and snow. Get on it! I was out hiking today and its nice and in the 60's. No smog either!

So what have you seen out there in Sedona? Mud, ice, snow?
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The dirt was gooood out in the BA zone.

mtbr member
    I concur with your trail assessments. The Carrol Canyon area is the first to dry out with all that southern exposure, with the caveat that Bandit/Airport/Winsurfer are too be avoided because of the high clay content in the soil (the mesa is capped by basalt). I was surprised as well by how wet the Dry Creek area was the last time I rode there (Jan 9). There was stil quite a bit of snow left and it was deeper than what I observed the day before in the VOC area. Usually that area is stellar after a hard rain but I think the terrain is so hilly/hummocky and shady that the pockets of muck didn't dry out for a long time. The only rideable tread on that day was where there's lots of river gravel/cobbles from presumably an ancestral Dry Creek that cover the tops of the mesas like on Gunslinger, Touron, CW, or Anaconda.
    Last edited by rockman; 01-19-2011 at 08:30 PM.

banned
    Mar 2010
    How are the trail conditions in Sedona overall now?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail-Shredder
    How are the trail conditions in Sedona overall now?
    On a scale of 1 to 1,000 I would say they are at 923. Hope that helps.

TD

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    On a scale of 1 to 1,000 I would say they are at 923. Hope that helps.

TD

I disagree....I'd say it's a 9.23 on a scale of 1 to 10

Huffy Rider
    There is still a patch of ice on Hog Wash, just bring your skates for that section!

Brenda

banned
    I met up with a couple from Denver today at the Mescal trailhead. They were sure happy to be in Sedona rather than back in Denver. They were concerned about temps tomorrow.

Looks like it will be warmer this weekend.

TD

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I met up with a couple from Denver today at the Mescal trailhead. They were sure happy to be in Sedona rather than back in Denver. They were concerned about temps tomorrow.

Looks like it will be warmer this weekend.

TD
    You rode today TD? That's some serious dedication, I'm hiding out indoors and waiting for the weekend.

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick
    There is still a patch of ice on Hog Wash, just bring your skates for that section!

Brenda
    just part of the fun. Beverhead is in perfect shape.

mtbr member

It's fine.

Hmmm... I logged 141 trail miles in Sedona in January. Over 70 in the last two weeks. Only one ride was really muddy, but even that one we cleaned fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollin'in'Zona
    Hmmm... I logged 141 trail miles in Sedona in January. Over 70 in the last two weeks. Only one ride was really muddy, but even that one we cleaned fine.
    Wow, You are so rad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm kidding, good for you. This January was incredible for biking, skiing..........not so much. February so far looks to be good as well, at least after this wicked cold blast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona
    Wow, You are so rad.
    Just sayin the trails are fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona
    I'm kidding, good for you. This January was incredible for biking, skiing..........not so much. February so far looks to be good as well, at least after this wicked cold blast.

Yeah, yesterdays ride hurt it was so cold. I think tomorrow will be a SoMo day.

banned
    In Sedona my thermometer has gone from 24 degrees to 31 in the last hour. The high is supposed to be 41 at this rate it might even hopefully get to 43. Wher did this weather come from anyway?

TD

mtbr member
    In Sedona my thermometer has gone from 24 degrees to 31 in the last hour. The high is supposed to be 41 at this rate it might even hopefully get to 43. Wher did this weather come from anyway?

TD
    ohhhhh, Canada. You must live in the banana belt. Says 19F at the airport.
    http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...&FcstType=text

Either way, it doesn't really sound like the type of day to be up high on the buttes. Maybe something sheltered from the wind but also sun exposed like CW.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    Either way, it doesn't really sound like the type of day to be up high on the buttes. Maybe something sheltered from the wind but also sun exposed like CW.
    Wrong! It was a goreous day to be out in Sedona. The temps where in the low to upper thirties during my ride but there was no wind and the sun was shining. I base layer under my normal shorts and jersey and polypro glove liners and I was really comfy. Rode Broken Arrow to Hogs to Chicken Point to Little Horse to BRP to Mystic.

Good ride...... sad I missed Damifino again though. (All my normal guides ended up having conflicts)

Special thanks to the Sedona Trail Ambassador extra-ordinaire who got up ahead of us this week to rebuild the bridge. Now that is above and beyond the call of duty, Traildoc.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Wrong! It was a goreous day to be out in Sedona. The temps where in the low to upper thirties during my ride but there was no wind and the sun was shining. I base layer under my normal shorts and jersey and polypro glove liners and I was really comfy. Rode Broken Arrow to Hogs to Chicken Point to Little Horse to BRP to Mystic.

Good ride...... sad I missed Damifino again though. (All my normal guides ended up having conflicts)

Special thanks to the Sedona Trail Ambassador extra-ordinaire who got up ahead of us this week to rebuild the bridge. Now that is above and beyond the call of duty, Traildoc.
    Sweet, I'm glad you got out. I felt bad bailing on you. Next time.

Members who have read this thread: 0