mtbr member

Sedona trail conditions?

Looking for current trail conditions starting from Midgley bridge and going south. Plan is to connect to the West Side trails for a longer ride. Or, just bypass and hit the West Side?? I'm open to recommendations. Heard that there was snow on the ground Friday. Thanks a bunch!

mtbr member
    Muddy. Very muddy.
    AKA: G-wat

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The Village of Oak Creek is still quite muddy, I would not ride it.

The dry creek area is hit and miss. Mostly miss. The Aerie/Deadman's/Mescal area is horrible. Do not ride.

Based on past experience, the Jordan area and anything at or above that elevation would be very muddy and should not be ridden.

The only area that I have found to be absolutely good to go is the carroll canyon area.

In fact, there are two new trails open there. They realigned most of an old social trail called "sketch" and re opened it. Mostly fast/flow with a short section of very mild exposure and very mild tech. This is off of Ridge, and is well signed. I rode it from north to south. I bet it rides about the same from south to north.

There is a "new" trail off the top of Herkenham called Skywalker. It connects with old post. Again, fast/flow and nothing terribly interesting or difficult. It is well signed.

This was as of Friday before the snow/rain hit. That storm was short lived, but kind of packed a bit of a punch... so I doubt things have improved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuctionGoat View Post
    The Village of Oak Creek is still quite muddy, I would not ride it.

The dry creek area is hit and miss. Mostly miss. The Aerie/Deadman's/Mescal area is horrible. Do not ride.

Based on past experience, the Jordan area and anything at or above that elevation would be very muddy and should not be ridden.

The only area that I have found to be absolutely good to go is the carroll canyon area.

In fact, there are two new trails open there. They realigned most of an old social trail called "sketch" and re opened it. Mostly fast/flow with a short section of very mild exposure and very mild tech. This is off of Ridge, and is well signed. I rode it from north to south. I bet it rides about the same from south to north.

There is a "new" trail off the top of Herkenham called Skywalker. It connects with old post. Again, fast/flow and nothing terribly interesting or difficult. It is well signed.

This was as of Friday before the snow/rain hit. That storm was short lived, but kind of packed a bit of a punch... so I doubt things have improved.
    Rode there yesterday and it was a mess. We hit it while Ridge and the new reroute on Sketch was still mostly frozen. Herkenham was fine but there are sections on Skywalker that are taking a beating. Just a quagmire. Really sad for new trail. But 60F today and likely not below freezing tonight so it should dry out quick.

Long range forecasts and models are now indicating it may not snow or rain again until the end of the month so conditions will improve rapidly. I know folks on vacation are going to ride anyway so hit the wash trails. And don't ride around stuff. Ride through it if you must.

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Long range forecasts and models are now indicating it may not snow or rain again until the end of the month so conditions will improve rapidly. I know folks on vacation are going to ride anyway so hit the wash trails. And don't ride around stuff. Ride through it if you must.
    Say it ain't so Joe....say it ain't so.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Say it ain't so Joe....say it ain't so.....
    Well who knows, not even the meteorologists (which Lee Born is not) and I'm just a hobbyist but it doesn't look good for the next 10-14 days. El Nino is taking a time out. The southern split is still there but weakened and all the energy directed at the Pacific NW. It would be a good time to hit Whistler!

The models just did a total flip-flop in the last two days. Maybe it will flop the other way for us snow enthusiasts but warming trend ahead.

Sedona trail conditions?-610prcp_new.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The Aerie/Deadman's/Mescal area is horrible. Do not ride.
    We did a trail run on Cockscomb-Aerie yesterday morning. We tried to hit it early enough so that the mud along the Cockscomb utility alignment would still be frozen -- and it was. Otherwise it would have been unpleasant.

While running on Aerie we watched as a cyclist slid sideways on the snow/ice and went over the downhill side. No injuries, no damage, but still a scary moment to witness.

Also did a run a few days ago on Mescal/Deadmans and there was so much mud I could have downhilled it on rock skis!

Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    ^^This!

-db-

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies and great details about trail conditions. Not worth the drive down from Flag just to further mess up the trails, it sounds. Ugh! I have cabin fever!

I have not ridden Ridge, Skywalker or Sketch yet but it is now on my list.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmchitty View Post
    Thanks for all the replies and great details about trail conditions. Not worth the drive down from Flag just to further mess up the trails, it sounds. Ugh! I have cabin fever!

I have not ridden Ridge, Skywalker or Sketch yet but it is now on my list.

Thanks again!
    Black Canyon Trail isn't a whole lot farther. Or, Deadhorse in Cottonwood.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dmchitty View Post
    Thanks for all the replies and great details about trail conditions. Not worth the drive down from Flag just to further mess up the trails, it sounds. Ugh! I have cabin fever!:
    I resorted to Lake Mary road on the sscx yesterday...it was surprisingly pleasant but still a road ride.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestion, rockman!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    I resorted to Lake Mary road on the sscx yesterday...it was surprisingly pleasant but still a road ride.
    I was considering doing Lake Mary Road on the road bike. How are the cinders in the shoulders?

-db-

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dbflg View Post
    I was considering doing Lake Mary Road on the road bike. How are the cinders in the shoulders?

-db-
    Pretty bad until you get out past the Canyon Vista cg and pretty clear once you pass the store. I have a feeling I'll be spending a fair bit of time cruising lake mary given the snowy winter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23;12427747
    Pretty bad until you get out past the Canyon Vista cg and pretty clear once you pass the store. I have a feeling I'll be spending a fair bit of time cruising lake mary given the snowy winter.
    It looks like the changeover in conditions corresponds well to City vs County road maintenance.

Thanks for the info.

-db-

mtbr member
    Are things drying out over there? Looks like it's been warm and sunny for the last few days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    We did a trail run yesterday using Old Post, Herkenham, and the new Skywalker (nice trail, BTW!). It's in good condition with damp but not wet tread. I'm not sure how well this translates to other trails because this has good sun exposure all day long. But the dry, sunny, and breezy conditions are improving things quickly.

Given how well the trails are drying out, we will probably bring our bikes instead of running shoes to Sedona on our next trip.

-db-

mtbr member
    Rode a DoubleH yesterday. HiLine, Breezys, etc are velcro. Still a little bit wet on the Hogs but not bad. Get out and get some!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Anyone have an update on Sedona conditions for Sat and Sun (28th 29th). Got a trip planned and really hate to re-schedule. Saw the snow from last night. Any chance trails will be good by Saturday?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmooth32 View Post
    Anyone have an update on Sedona conditions for Sat and Sun (28th 29th). Got a trip planned and really hate to re-schedule. Saw the snow from last night. Any chance trails will be good by Saturday?
    ds I personally have been riding everyday on the West Sedona trails in the Dry Creek area. Since I have local knowledge about each individual trail I have been experiencing good to excellent conditions. West Civ and Last Frontier are bomb proof. Special Ed and Pyramid are in great shape. Ramshead and Secret Slickrock are in perfect shape. Sketch is awesome after rainy periods. The new Andante realignment rides nicely. The new Oak trail is riding great. Longcanyon, Deadman's, Mescal loop counterclockwise is sweet. Hope that works.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Switchblade2 HUGE help, thanks so much for the detailed response, really appreciate the local knowledge, looking forward to sharing your trails!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Had a hard freeze last night, the pudding is coming out to play.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Switchblade2 HUGE help, thanks so much for the detailed response, really appreciate the local knowledge, looking forward to sharing your trails!
    ds due us a favor and let us know how your ride turns out. If your ride crosses Dry Creek be prepared to get your feet wet. I have been covering my socks with bread bags to keep my socks dry.

We shuttled Special Ed and Pyramid today at the end of our main ride. There was no pudding on the trail surface. There were some short sections of melting snow on the north side, but the trail tread was solid and no mud was sticking to the tires.

Conditions should be getting better each day with predicted full sun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    ds due us a favor and let us know how your ride turns out. If your ride crosses Dry Creek be prepared to get your feet wet. I have been covering my socks with bread bags to keep my socks dry.

We shuttled Special Ed and Pyramid today at the end of our main ride. There was no pudding on the trail surface. There were some short sections of melting snow on the north side, but the trail tread was solid and no mud was sticking to the tires.

Conditions should be getting better each day with predicted full sun.
    ds I got a trail condition update tonight from friends who rode Old Post and Skywalker. They said those trails sucked. I rode Last Frontier and West Civ which were in good shape.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    My friend from Flag says he is reluctant to come down and do a ride in Sedona due to reports of mushy trails. Well my old wife and I went out for a ride today in the Dry Creek area with our younger friends that we ride with regularly.

The first trail we rode was the newly constructed masterpiece called Oak. We parked close to Oak, so we rode very little pavement. From Oak we rode up Mescal to To Longcanyon to Longcanyon to Deadman's to Mescal to Upper Mescal to Yucca. Up to that point conditions we excellent with several short wet spots.

After Yucca we ended up on Canyon of Fool which we rode to a fun social trail that parrellels COF and took us to Dawa. We rode Dawa to Christmas Wash which was in great shape due to all the recent rain that totally changed the trail surface. Along the way there were ice covered ponds that we rode past on some cool newly formed sandy sections. We continued to New Years and rode that to Girdner where we hit Rupp and rode that up to Cockscomb and back to Dawa to OK to the AZ Alternate to the gun range and back to our starting point at the Dry Creek bridge.

Conditions overall were great except for a few short wet spots. I have heard the Soldiers Wash area has lots of trails like Adobe Jack which are a total mudfest. So I would avoid that area.
    Last edited by Switchblade2; 01-29-2017 at 09:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Just got back from the trip, Sorry I didn't update sooner. We managed a really great trip with some not-so great and some "all-time" conditions. We ended up getting out in the early mornings, when the trails were still frosty and the conditions were great (the early morning frosty dirt was like the perfect tacky surface). We road the dry creek area Saturday, and in the afternoon things were getting sloppy (especially on Chuck Wagon). Avoid trails near dry creek at all costs until the creek stops flowing, we got stuck on Girdner from Rupp to Last Frontier, and it was not fun. Some wet cold feet. I have no idea when the creek stops flowing?

Sunday we did Hiline-Baldwin-Easy Breezy, and then the Hogs loop. I think both of those trails are past the nasty stage, Hogs had some Ice in spots on the shady slick rock overhang sections, but I bet it is mostly gone now after another day of great weather. Hiline was fantastic, we hit it early (8:00am)but by 9-10 it was really warm, so I think we saw most of the wet spots that were going to show, and they were not bad.

After finishing our ride Sunday we saw some riders coming over from Dry creek and they said it was very muddy, maybe due to the warmer night, but perhaps things will actually dry out now rather than freezing and thawing.

Hope this helps, thanks for the reports, we are very glad we went, great town, fantastic trail work, and great people. Thanks to Over The Edge for mapping out our second day for us, very helpful guys.

mtbr member
    , we got stuck on Girdner from Rupp to Last Frontier, and it was not fun. Some wet cold feet. I have no idea when the creek stops flowing?

Why on earth were you riding that section of Gridner ? did someone actually recommend that section of trail ? That section sucks wet or dry...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    Why on earth were you riding that section of Gridner ? did someone actually recommend that section of trail ? That section sucks wet or dry...
    Nobody recommended it, just a wrong turn and then getting in to deep to go back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    ds did anyone recommend Chuckwagon or was that a trail you also decided to check out on your own?

mtbr member
    Nobody recommended it, just a wrong turn and then getting in to deep to go back.
    Were you on cockscomb and then accidentally ended up on Western Civilization ? This happens a lot..

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    Were you on cockscomb and then accidentally ended up on Western Civilization ? This happens a lot..
    No, were attempting to do something similar to the West Sedona Tour, and went down Rupp instead of continuing on Cockscomb to Dawa, at the end of Rupp, we saw the creek crossing to the left on Girdner, but to the right it looked clear. Went right and very quickly came to the first creek crossing and decided we might as well cross, since there was a crossing in either direction. And, well, it was all down hill (stream) from there!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    ds did anyone recommend Chuckwagon or was that a trail you also decided to check out on your own?
    On our own

mtbr member
    Thinking of hitting Hangover this afternoon. Any beta?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    ds thanks for that update, I had recommended that you ride Special Ed, Pyramid, Ramshead, Sketch, Mescal, Western Civilization and Last Frontier did you ride any of those trails and if so were they in good condition? Many of us try to give good Intel on riding conditions in the hope visitors have a good riding experience.

In Sedona during extreme wet periods visitors usually have to have local knowledge to piece a mudless ride together.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chainslap- View Post
    Thinking of hitting Hangover this afternoon. Any beta?
    Back side is all snow still, the rest is good to go. Would wait to ride it honestly.
    16 Stumpy Elite 650B

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Sure would be nice if the VVCC would go up and shovel the snow off the trail. I have heard that they now have a Volunteer Agreement with the USFS to do trail maintenance. This would be a great way for them to represent the MTB community.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I rode cockscomb, western civ, last frontier, ledge 'n airy, girdner, scorpion( special Ed), pyramid and some other stuff in Carroll canyon area. Conditions were fantastic. Riders coming from north of the aerie parking lot had more red on their tires for sure, but I did not see any mud caked bikes or anything like that. Crossing dry creek is cold as balls, though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sure would be nice if the VVCC would go up and shovel the snow off the trail. I have heard that they now have a Volunteer Agreement with the USFS to do trail maintenance. This would be a great way for them to represent the MTB community.
    John, I would tell you to go up and shovel it yourself, but since you have been banned from doing any work in the national forest, I guess people will just have to wait for it to thaw.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I rode cockscomb, western civ, last frontier, ledge 'n airy, girdner, scorpion( special Ed), pyramid and some other stuff in Carroll canyon area. Conditions were fantastic. Riders coming from north of the aerie parking lot had more red on their tires for sure, but I did not see any mud caked bikes or anything like that. Crossing dry creek is cold as balls, though.
    SG thanks for that update. I haven't ridden Ledge'n'Airy for over a year. I know the trail holds up will during extreme wet periods, but how is the technical factor changing due to a lack of maintenance. Were you able to clean the whole trail?

I use to clean every section riding south to north, but the last time I rode it I walked the real skinny chunky exposed sections. That trail is included in the Western Gateway Trail Proposal, so at some point it may become a system trail. I am curious if it is adopted whether it will be brought back to its original more rideable condition.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    When I use to ride in Downieville a lot there were vyears that there was a heavy snowpack at the top of Packer Saddle. Greg at Yuba Expedition would invite a bunch a of mountain bikers to clear the trail so he could get his shuttle business going. It was fun to help out and for me personally I got a since of accomplishment helping others ride the trail to Butcher Ranch. In Sedona it's a totally different attitude about volunteer trail maintenance. Very little seems to be the expected norm.

mtbr member
    Rode HiLine yesterday. The top of the front side climb is still a tad greasy. Otherwise, 95% dry. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Had dinner tonight with a trail runner that ran Hangover yesterday. She said it looked like there was one bike track on Hangover's north side. She said it didn't look like good riding conditions. It would be nice to get a report from a mountain biker.

mtbr member
    Had dinner tonight with a trail runner that ran Hangover yesterday. She said it looked like there was one bike track on Hangover's north side. She said it didn't look like good riding conditions. It would be nice to get a report from a mountain biker.
    Was probably me (albeit 4 days ago) and I can't imagine all the snow and ice is gone from the north face yet. It was almost all HAB back there.

https://www.strava.com/activities/85...S&v=1485905575
    16 Stumpy Elite 650B