How much further ???

Sedona tire wear question

Im definitley NOT asking what tire to use.

So I have never riden in Sedona and plan on going for a big friggin ride this weekend. My current tires have about 80% left on the front and 15% on the rear. To those who have experience riding there would you just use up the rear tire or would you recommend getting some new rubber on there?

I ask because I know there is a lot of exposed rock riding and I dont know how much of a detriment a worn rear tire really is or not.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    I'd just keep the back on. Sedona is pretty hard on tires, especially if you spend a lot of time on the slickrock. 15% tread isn't optimal, but if you still trust the tire and can corner adequately with it, just run it and replace it once you get back.

How much further ???
    That is the kind of response I was looking for. Thank you.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Oh, one more thing, slickrock is really grippy, but there's usually a good layer of dust on everything too. On steep sections of rock, you might have trouble hooking up, especially if you stand on it and really torque down.

How much further ???
    Hmm ok. I was out riding last weekend on it and the rear was drifting pretty good cornering and spinning out on a few climbs on loose over hard pack. Ive riden on slickrock in Moab a very long time ago and remember how grippy it is which is why I asked thinking they might be ok. I dont want to be a cheapsake but we all know how expensive tires are these days.

Im running Maxxis Ardent 2.4 Exo 29er tires FWIW.

mtbr member
    I think you'll be fine if you keep your expectations realistic. At 15%, it won't corner like new, or grip like new, but if you're okay with a little more than normal drift and a few more spin outs, get one more ride out of it and swap it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I look at at a situation like that and think why limit yourself by being a cheap ass?

You are headed to an area to explore world class trails that are fairly rugged and abusive and insanely fun. Why take the chance of having something like a tire failure or really poor performance limit your ride?

Unless you are flat broke, put a new tire on the back for crying out loud. Climb better, clean more stuff.corner faster and have more fun. Worry less. Tires are important.

For me, riding keeps me sane... its what i do passionately when I am not doing all the other **** I HAVE to do. Not the time to be a cheap ass when considering the rubber that meets the trail, so to speak.

Having said that... yes.. you can probably GET BY with what you are running and still have a great time.

The .05 percent
    If your tire is down to 15 percent tread, btw how do you measure?, your side walls are prob shot thus raising your chances of a pinch flat. Spend some coin, pimp your ride.
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuctionGoat View Post
    Unless you are flat broke, put a new tire on the back for crying out loud.
    Better yet, take the tire off of the front and put it on the back, and put the new tire on the front. It's much more confidence inspiring to have the better tire in the front. If you're on an Ardent with 15% tread left, you'll be hating life doing the bfl.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Captain Calico Jack
    best possible advice is.........................if you were worried enough about your tires to post about it that should be all the convincing you need to replace them. Pretty straight forward, running a worn tire can cause blow out, loss of traction, a plethora of other things can happen. My thought is lets say the tire slips you dump it break an arm/leg/ankle/wrist/insert here, is a $60 tire worth it?

mtbr member
    Douger, I live in Sedona and have run both Maxxis Mobsters and Bontrager Big Earls down to almost completely slick in the middle, and as far as I can tell, I have managed to survive doing so. 15% tread should do just fine, although by the end of your visit, it should be down below 10%...
    If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!

How much further ???
    I understand what you are staying but I dont ride a worn tire the same as a new tire either so it does bother me a whole lot. I know I will drift easier and ride accordingly.

I ended up putting the front on the rear and installing a new front that I had. It would be different I guess if I wasnt doing a 47 mile ride.

That being said I put a new Ardent 2.4 exo on the front which I purchased at the same time as the rear. Looking at it, the front Ardent appeared to be much narrower than the 80% worn Ardent 2.4 exo on the rear. Pulling out the caliper the front tire is about 1/4 inch narrower. Im assuming its because the casing is stiffer and after some miles the tire "flattens out" causing it to get slightly wider ?? Im not concerned just an observation.

Give it a crank
    I think Douger-1 has a case here, there is one place where worn tires with low or no knobs have an advantage: slick rock, and Sedona has lots of it.

Over the Hill
    Of coarse you can get away using worn tires in Sedona. Not sure I would want to ride Hangover with any thing but the best traction I could find.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That being said I put a new Ardent 2.4 exo on the front which I purchased at the same time as the rear. Looking at it, the front Ardent appeared to be much narrower than the 80% worn Ardent 2.4 exo on the rear.
    Yep, in my experience they stretch out with use. When the Ardent 2.4 exo's stretch out, they look very wide and tall--even wider than the 2.5 Minion DHF.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    I think Douger-1 has a case here, there is one place where worn tires with low or no knobs have an advantage: slick rock, and Sedona has lots of it.
    Thats where I was going with this. My 15% tread life Ardent is probaby similar to a 50% tread life Ikon in terms of what is left of the center knobs. Regardless the side knobs were worn enough that I chose to swap them out. I assume there is plenty of dirt in Sedona too so might as well be able to carve some corners.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Thats where I was going with this. My 15% tread life Ardent is probaby similar to a 50% tread life Ikon in terms of what is left of the center knobs. Regardless the side knobs were worn enough that I chose to swap them out. I assume there is plenty of dirt in Sedona too so might as well be able to carve some corners.
    If you were just staying on the slickrock, I'd recommend you leave the worn rear on. But sounds like you're in for a beating. I think swapping out the tires is the right move. Sedona has more than slickrock.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.