Sedona recommendations- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    127

    Sedona recommendations

    I am going to be in Sedona for one day next week and I am bringing my bike. I've ridden in Sedona before, but it has been years. I have all day to ride so I will end up doing multiple trails. Any trail recommendations? Thanks.

  2. #2
    suvlako
    Reputation: suvlako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    514
    Templeton is a must.

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by surfhb
    I am going to be in Sedona for one day next week and I am bringing my bike. I've ridden in Sedona before, but it has been years. I have all day to ride so I will end up doing multiple trails. Any trail recommendations? Thanks.
    Take Thunder Mountain to Chimney Rock to Color Cove to Plumber's Crack to Easy Rider to Girdner to Bike Path to Under the Radar to Under Under the Radar to Carrol Canyon Wash to Red Rock Crossing to Templeton to Bell Rock Pathway to Lama to Chicken Point to Broken Arrow to High on the Hog to Hog Heaven to Hog Wash to Broken Arrow to Hwy. 179 to Cusifiction Wash to Grand Central to Roller Coaster to Ant Hill to Jordon to Soldiers Pass to Tea Cup to Andante to Thunder Mountain.

    Have fun wish I could do it with you,

    Doc

  4. #4
    Over the Hill
    Reputation: dstepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,763
    Traildoc nice route but you lost me after Broken Arrow to 179. I know where Jordan is not familiar with Cusifiction Wash to Grand Central to Roller Coaster to Ant Hill. We normally use Huckaby to get over to Jordan.

    Dean

  5. #5
    Dave
    Reputation: liteandfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    Take Thunder Mountain to Chimney Rock to Color Cove to Plumber's Crack to Easy Rider to Girdner to Bike Path to Under the Radar to Under Under the Radar to Carrol Canyon Wash to Red Rock Crossing to Templeton to Bell Rock Pathway to Lama to Chicken Point to Broken Arrow to High on the Hog to Hog Heaven to Hog Wash to Broken Arrow to Hwy. 179 to Cusifiction Wash to Grand Central to Roller Coaster to Ant Hill to Jordon to Soldiers Pass to Tea Cup to Andante to Thunder Mountain.

    Have fun wish I could do it with you,

    Doc
    Sounds like a Dr. Suess ride. Is this a real ride, if so, about how long, miles and time?
    I need to ride more and work less.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    Take Thunder Mountain to Chimney Rock to Color Cove to Plumber's Crack to Easy Rider to Girdner to Bike Path to Under the Radar to Under Under the Radar to Carrol Canyon Wash to Red Rock Crossing to Templeton to Bell Rock Pathway to Lama to Chicken Point to Broken Arrow to High on the Hog to Hog Heaven to Hog Wash to Broken Arrow to Hwy. 179 to Cusifiction Wash to Grand Central to Roller Coaster to Ant Hill to Jordon to Soldiers Pass to Tea Cup to Andante to Thunder Mountain.

    Have fun wish I could do it with you,

    Doc
    Whoa! My mind is spinning. Are there any good websites with ride descriptions/maps?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirthead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    566
    My favorite is Bell Rock pathway to Templeton, which leads you around Cathedral Rock. Then drop down the Cathedral Rock trail to the street and ride up to the church. From the back of the church you can get on the trail system and take Little Horse to Chicken Point, then backtrack to Llama. Take Llama to Bell Rock Pathway and back to start.

    This ride starts in Oak Creek Village. You can go to Absolute Bikes in the village to get a map and directions. You can even park there and start your ride, since they are only about a half mile from the trailhead. Templeton is my favorite trail in Sedona!

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    Traildoc nice route but you lost me after Broken Arrow to 179. I know where Jordan is not familiar with Cusifiction Wash to Grand Central to Roller Coaster to Ant Hill. We normally use Huckaby to get over to Jordan.

    Dean
    dstepper:

    If you are really interested here is how you get from 179 to Crucifixion. You ride 179 to 89A. At 89A you turn left (west) and ride about 200 yards. You look right and you will see a big culvert that goes under 89A. that is Crucifixion Wash. At this point you drop down to the wash where you will see the trail.

    You ride up the trail going west for about 150 yards where you will come to an intersection. The trail to the left is Second Coming and takes you to 89A and Airport Road. Don't go left, stay straight and you will be on a trail that takes you up the Grand Central Wash. The trail crosses/parallels the wash numerous times for about 1/4 mile before reaching the 9 way intersection.

    At the 9 way you need to continue going up at your 11 o'clock position, this is the Roller Coaster Trail (see picture). If you were to go to the 9 o'clock position that would be Lost and Found, if you were to go to your 7:30 position that would be Johnnies Trail. Directly behind you is Grand Central. At your 5:30 position is the New Plumber's and two others that I don’t know the name of. At your 3:30 is another trail that I don't know the name of. At 2:30 is the Power Station Plunge trail.

    Anyway head up Roller Coaster for about 1/8 mile and the trail will flatten out. Look to the right and you will see a trail that is still Roller Coaster. Continue up Roller Coaster for about 400 yards until you are at the bottom of Ant Hill. At the bottom of Ant Hill you can either go right or left to Jordan. The Ant Hill trail circles the Ant Hill (it isn't on the map as ant Hill, but it looks like an ant hill so that is why the trail is called ant hill). Ant Hill is a fun trail and those people who ride Jordan can improve their riding experience by doing the Jordan trail and putting in Ant Hill as a ride improvement.

    Now that you are on Jordan I assume you know you go left to get to Soldiers Pass. I believe this route is far superior to going to Huckabee. It is unfortunate that Marge’s Draw is wilderness, otherwise it would be cool to ride Marge's draw to Huckabee from Broken Arrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Over the Hill
    Reputation: dstepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,763
    Thanks doc I had a feeling that was what you where talking about but you left out the Highway 89 part, I had no idea what the names where of those trails, but I have been on them. Hopefully when all the construction is done it will be safer to out there on the pavement.

    Marge's draw being off limits is a complete bummer.

    Dean

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,821
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    You ride up the trail going west for about 150 yards where you will come to an intersection. The trail to the left is Second Coming and takes you to 89A and Airport Road. Don't go left, stay straight and you will be on a trail that takes you up the Grand Central Wash. The trail crosses/parallels the wash numerous times for about 1/4 mile before reaching the 9 way intersection.

    At the 9 way you need to continue going up at your 11 o'clock position, this is the Roller Coaster Trail (see picture). If you were to go to the 9 o'clock position that would be Lost and Found, if you were to go to your 7:30 position that would be Johnnies Trail. Directly behind you is Grand Central. At your 5:30 position is the New Plumber's and two others that I donít know the name of. At your 3:30 is another trail that I don't know the name of. At 2:30 is the Power Station Plunge trail.

    Anyway head up Roller Coaster for about 1/8 mile and the trail will flatten out. Look to the right and you will see a trail that is still Roller Coaster. Continue up Roller Coaster for about 400 yards until you are at the bottom of Ant Hill. At the bottom of Ant Hill you can either go right or left to Jordan. The Ant Hill trail circles the Ant Hill (it isn't on the map as ant Hill, but it looks like an ant hill so that is why the trail is called ant hill). Ant Hill is a fun trail and those people who ride Jordan can improve their riding experience by doing the Jordan trail and putting in Ant Hill as a ride improvement.
    Isn't this myriad of trail nonsense collectively known as "secret trails". The last time I was wandering around in there it seemed like concerned locals (hikers?) had logged/brushed a bunch of it, but that was a year or two ago.

  11. #11
    Black and Sticky
    Reputation: Bituman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    711
    SURF,
    The ride described by Dirthead is highly recommended. I've only rode Sedona area couple times, but Dirthead's route is pretty much what I did. Anything that incorporates Templeton and Cathedral is a good deal. The other part involving Little Horse and Chicken Head is great also. But like the others, I really like Templeton. Absolute Bikes or Bike and Bean are both near the Bell Rock trailhead and can fix you up with maps. Bell Rock trailhead is a good jumping off point for lots of nice riding. Have fun.

    Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Bituman
    SURF,
    The ride described by Dirthead is highly recommended. I've only rode Sedona area couple times, but Dirthead's route is pretty much what I did. Anything that incorporates Templeton and Cathedral is a good deal. The other part involving Little Horse and Chicken Head is great also. But like the others, I really like Templeton. Absolute Bikes or Bike and Bean are both near the Bell Rock trailhead and can fix you up with maps. Bell Rock trailhead is a good jumping off point for lots of nice riding. Have fun.

    Bob
    Bituman:

    That route is pretty good, BUT there is an improvement to the loop if you want to pass on the Bell Rock Pathway. The new route takes you on two really super special trails called Made in the Shade and Slim Shady they hook up to Templeton from Absolute.

    Recently Tom Richie and Thomas Frischknecht stopped off in Sedona after Inter Bike and rode the special trails with the NOD. You may have been reading about their experience on the net, it was truly a world class uphill experience. Nothing like an old guy riding with some the best in the WORLD to put a BIG SMILE on your face. Makes you want to hurry up an get old to see what all the fun is about.

    Enjoy

  13. #13
    Black and Sticky
    Reputation: Bituman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    711

    You being the local...

    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    Bituman:

    That route is pretty good, BUT there is an improvement to the loop if you want to pass on the Bell Rock Pathway. The new route takes you on two really super special trails called Made in the Shade and Slim Shady they hook up to Templeton from Absolute.

    Recently Tom Richie and Thomas Frischknecht stopped off in Sedona after Inter Bike and rode the special trails with the NOD. You may have been reading about their experience on the net, it was truly a world class uphill experience. Nothing like an old guy riding with some the best in the WORLD to put a BIG SMILE on your face. Makes you want to hurry up an get old to see what all the fun is about.

    Enjoy
    ...I defer to your local knowledge. Sounds like a good route.

    To SURF, here is a great map for Sedona trails:

    http://www.emmittbarks.com/maps.htm#...20Trails%20Map

    I picked one up at Landis Cyclery in Phoenix. But it can probably be gotten elsewhere.

    Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.