Sedona post Christmas week- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    237

    Sedona post Christmas week

    I'm coming down from Colorado Monday for a week but I see rain and snow this weekend. How will the trails be Tuesday? I'm not looking for a mud fest as I have moab as an alternate.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    387
    Moab. We've had three days of rain folloewed by snow today. Wont be rideable till the end of the week.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    237
    Thanks bud I was hoping to see new scenery but I'll wait till next fall.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,474
    Went out today and rode Mescal, conditions were awesome.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    237
    Does that mean the whole area is tacky to dry or still thawing and I'll have to pick and choose trails all week? I'm just not familiar with the soil there.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    437

    Me too

    Quote Originally Posted by INF216 View Post
    Does that mean the whole area is tacky to dry or still thawing and I'll have to pick and choose trails all week? I'm just not familiar with the soil there.
    I'm really interested too. Thought my solo time between Christmas and new years was down the drain as I had planned on riding there during this time frame.

    I'm in PV right now with snow still on the ground. Hard to imagine good conditions presently in Sedona. If no kidding, they are good...I'm there tomorrow.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    237
    I plan on making way in either direction tomorrow afternoon but starting to lean towards Moab but it's 15-20 degrees difference.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,858
    Call one of the shops for a report. There's a warming trend the rest of the week. Rain isn't typically a problem but Sedona got 3 to 5" of snow. Snow followed by freeze-thaw is what turns the trails to mush. Overnight lows should be above freezing in another day or so. My guess is conditions will be pretty good mid week and on but you might need to avoid anything north facing. Problem areas are the south end of Lllama, north end of Slim Shady, anything off Airport like Bandit and Windsurfer, the new section of Sketch on the north end closest to Ridge.

    More precip possibly on the way by new year's.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ozzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    Went out today and rode Mescal, conditions were awesome.
    We just drove into town. I guess we are going to hit Mescal first if you're report is accurate. Any other current trail reports?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,858
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzer View Post
    We just drove into town. I guess we are going to hit Mescal first if you're report is accurate. Any other current trail reports?
    Ozzer, switchblade is out riding the washes. It's kinda fun and keeps one from damaging trails but if it looks dicey do what most of the locals do and head to Deadhorse State Park https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/3611120
    or another 30 min south to Black Canyon Trail. Black Canyon Trail Coalition | Black Canyon Trail Maps

    The go to spot in Sedona is the Carrol Canyon area. It's mostly south facing and dries out first. Frankly, the best bet is to stay off the trails but kudos to you for trying to be a good steward. Sedona is now a destination and folks that are there for their week of vacation or whatever are going to ride anyway.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ozzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    199
    https://flic.kr/p/QxiAqL
    Yucky but improving at NW

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ozzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Ozzer, switchblade is out riding the washes. It's kinda fun and keeps one from damaging trails but if it looks dicey do what most of the locals do and head to Deadhorse State Park https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/3611120
    or another 30 min south to Black Canyon Trail. Black Canyon Trail Coalition | Black Canyon Trail Maps

    The go to spot in Sedona is the Carrol Canyon area. It's mostly south facing and dries out first. Frankly, the best bet is to stay off the trails but kudos to you for trying to be a good steward. Sedona is now a destination and folks that are there for their week of vacation or whatever are going to ride anyway.
    Yea, we sat out riding today. Too wet.
    https://flic.kr/p/PnrpEX
    We need to ride tomorrow though so we'll make do anywhere.

    Went hiking/trail conditions scouting instead. Sedona rocks
    https://flic.kr/p/QAWL7M

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzer View Post
    https://flic.kr/p/QxiAqL
    Yucky but improving at NW
    Link doesn't appear to work.

    I headed south and rode Cave Creek Canyon Classic route. Can't hold a candle to 90% of Sedona trails in favorable conditions. Considering conditions : Not bad. Some really fun sections, some shitty sections. A couple psi too much in the front tire or fork may have contributed to those shitty sections, in addition to all the horse shit. I must have seen >30 horses in the 25-ish mile loop I did with only 4 other mtb-ers seen. 2 of the 4 mtbers were folks out for a bagless trail ride during the tour de SW on what looked like Surly ECRs. Gets real hard to pass a group of 10 equestrians on a downhill run.

    Freeze thaw cycle has me concerned for Sedona. Lived through it when I lived in DC area. Road bike got me though those dark days - but only have my trail bike with me currently. Really want to ride there though. If things seem to improve (skeptical), I may roll out for rides there Wednesday and Thursday. Need to pick up the GF at PHX Friday AM and head west from there.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    237
    Heading to moab bright and early

Similar Threads

  1. Christmas in Sedona
    By unrooted in forum Arizona
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-22-2015, 10:52 AM
  2. Christmas Week Rides Eastern PA
    By vack in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-31-2013, 07:01 PM
  3. Sedona conditions on Christmas/New Years
    By Raja in forum Arizona
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-08-2012, 05:18 AM
  4. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-10-2011, 12:40 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 05:29 PM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.