mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Sedona: one day which ride?

I'm going to be in Sedona in two weeks with my wife and kids. It's a quick overnight trip and I will only be able to sneak away for one early morning ride. We will be staying near Tlaquepaque. I'm looking for a 2-3 hour ride, out and back or loop, something that flows, and something I can ride on my Specialized Camber 5". So if you had one day to do one ride, which ride would it be?

Thanks for your help
    Evan

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Get ready Evan.
    You have been warned.
    2 Wheels Good

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Munds Wagon trail to Hangover. It's right out the door for you.

mtbr member
    Popcorn! Get your popcorn!

Sorry Evan, this is probably going to get interesting. There's a bunch of people that know everything about Sedona...

There's a ton of trails in Sedona, and very few of them suck. It really all depends on your skills, and what you like. I would recommend stopping in at one of the friendly bike shops and talking with them.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you値l crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Will you be riding from where you're staying? Highline or Hangover are considered two of the best rides but will be tough to do in 3 hours door to door. Your best bet would be to ride to uptown and climb Jordan Rd to the Jordan TH. You'll ride right by the Fat Tire bike shop where you can get whatever you might need. Ride Jordan east to west and hit Teacup and Soldier's Pass trails. Then make your way to the Secret trails area and descend south on Centenial or Grand Central to Crucifixion Wash. Go under hwy89 through the drainage pipes and there's a connector trail to the TTlaquepaque area. There's several bailout spots in case you run out of time. There's some popcorn for ya.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Awesome. I plan on spending more time in Sedona this spring/summer, but for now I'm just looking to get a taste of the action. I'll do some research on the trails that have been recommended.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    Awesome. I plan on spending more time in Sedona this spring/summer, but for now I'm just looking to get a taste of the action. I'll do some research on the trails that have been recommended.
    As the Self-Appointed Sedna Ambassador one of my duties is to provide all new Sedona riders the Intel for the best possible user experience for their hard earned vacation dollar.

Attached is a map you could print to ride those Secret Trails located close to your front door. If you stop by the Fat Tire Bike shop bring my map in and say Hi to Dave for me.

TD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sedona: one day which ride?-secret-trail-telq.jpg  

Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So we booked our room. We are going to stay at the Kings Ransom hotel at 771 Highway 179, Sedona, Arizona, USA, 86336. The lady on the phone said there is a trailhead right behind the hotel. Is this area worth riding? I'm going to jump on Google Earth to get my bearings. Any input is mucho appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    So we booked our room. We are going to stay at the Kings Ransom hotel at 771 Highway 179, Sedona, Arizona, USA, 86336. The lady on the phone said there is a trailhead right behind the hotel. Is this area worth riding? I'm going to jump on Google Earth to get my bearings. Any input is mucho appreciated.
    The trailhead right there is in wilderness (no bikes allowed). You've got a very short drive or ride to Broken Arrow (Morgan Rd), Munds (Schnebly Hill Rd), Jordan (Jordan Rd) Trailheads.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you値l crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Wow. Thanks for the heads up. You save me from looking like an ass. I'll check out those other trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The Broken Arrow area is a lot of fun. Hog Heaven with some Lama might work for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just stayed there! Make sure you hit Elote Cafe Just my two cents, but ride up Morgan, do Broken Arrow to Little Horse to Llama, then cross the highway and do Slim Shady to HT, then ride back to the hotel for the hot tub. But I'm no Traildoc

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I agree. Can't go wrong with Broken arrow and ride where things flow from there.

When you come across something that looks challenging, take a quick look at it before dropping down.

Enjoy!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatass View Post
    Just stayed there! Make sure you hit Elote Cafe Just my two cents, but ride up Morgan, do Broken Arrow to Little Horse to Llama, then cross the highway and do Slim Shady to HT, then ride back to the hotel for the hot tub. But I'm no Traildoc
    PA:

Great advice- TD Approved. If you get to Elote after 5 PM the wait will be more than an hour unless you go around 8:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My family and I got up to Sedona late Friday night. Any hopes of riding Saturday morning was all but gone in my eyes. I have a 3 year old boy and a 6 month old girl, who love to get lots of attention. I was sure my wife would not want me to go for a ride just as the kids were waking up. To my surprise she rolled over at 7am and said, "If you're going to go ride, you better go now." 5 minutes later I was riding down the highway looking for Morgan Hill.

It was fairly cold out, and the ground was still frozen, but I had a fun ride in a very beautiful place. Not wanting to take too much time, and not knowing the trail system at all, I took the advice on this thread and rode Broken Arrow to Little Horse to Llama to Red Rock Pathway.

The trail was well maintained and had enough elements to make it interesting and quite fun. Thank you all for your help. I look forward to spending more time in Sedona in the spring.

On our way home, we took the kids to Montezuma's Castle. As a kid I remember it being much bigger. Today it looks more like a cabin then a castle.

Uploaded with Snapbucket

Uploaded with Snapbucket

Uploaded with Snapbucket

Uploaded with Snapbucket

Uploaded with Snapbucket

Uploaded with Snapbucket

banned
    Thanks for the post, good to see you had a good experience.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey TD, do you have a favorite "area" in sedona? That is, is there a spot with the best (I know that is subjective) group of trails? Or is it best to look at things on a trail by trail basis?

banned
    Hey TD, do you have a favorite "area" in sedona? That is, is there a spot with the best (I know that is subjective) group of trails? Or is it best to look at things on a trail by trail basis?
    PA:

Great question. The best one trail in Sedona is Highline. When you hook it up with several other trails near buy it is the best ride IMHO. The second best ride is Last Frontier, again like Highline when you hook it up with other near buy trails it is the second best ride.

The area with the most difficult fun trails to ride is the Damifino, Cow Pies area. The problem is many of the trails in that area are North facing and can be unrideable in the Winter due to ice of slippery surfaces.

The third best area to ride is the Upper Red Rock Loop/Carrol Canyon area.

The overall best intermediate skilled rider area is the Dry Creek Area, OTE rental bikes are ridden there more than any other location.. Second to that is Broken Arrow/Lama, which is where B&B sends most of their bike rental business.

Hope that helps.

TD

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks TD. Where is Last Frontier? I don't remember seeing it on the maps . . . .

banned
    Thanks TD. Where is Last Frontier? I don't remember seeing it on the maps . . . .
    It is the closest trail to Cottonwood. It ends crossing Dry Creek Wash about 400 yards north of the Lower Red Rock Loop Rd and Hwy 89A. If you were coming from Cottonwood on Hwy. 89A you can just park on Lower Red Rock Loop Rd. and ride on the connector trail to hook onto the Last Frontier/Drano intersection.

I would ride left on LF from that point then ride down Drano for the end of the ride. From LF you can hook into many other trails to extend the ride or just ride LF to Girdner to Ledge'n' Airy to Drano to shorten the ride.

TD

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ok thanks TD. Will give it a go next time I'm up there . . . .

mtbr member
    Ok thanks TD. Will give it a go next time I'm up there . . . .
    Last frontier, Western Civilization, Aerie, etc has a more XC feel than the Broken Arrow, Llama, Shades loop you were talking about earlier...
    - Julie Furtado

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    Last frontier, Western Civilization, Aerie, etc has a more XC feel than the Broken Arrow, Llama, Shades loop you were talking about earlier...
    Heywoa:

How about if you throw in Christmas and New Years Wash, Check Point Charlie, Gunslinger, Mescal, Canyon of Fools, and Two Fences?

TD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    Heywoa:

How about if you throw in Christmas and New Years Wash, Check Point Charlie, Gunslinger, Mescal, Canyon of Fools, and Two Fences?

TD
    You're really digging deep there. Check Point is what, a whole 1/4 mile? Maybe a half mile but no more, if you threw in Middle Finger you've got 1 1/2 miles. Christmas and New Years would definitely add some technicality to the ride, but getting to and from there is mostly XC trails.
    - Julie Furtado

banned
    You're really digging deep there. Check Point is what, a whole 1/4 mile? Maybe a half mile but no more, if you threw in Middle Finger you've got 1 1/2 miles. Christmas and New Years would definitely add some technicality to the ride, but getting to and from there is mostly XC trails.
    OK Woa:

What about this one. Cultural Center to Ledge'n'Airy to Girdner to Easy Rider to Plumber's Crack to Tim's Wash to Girdner to Last Frontier to Check Point Charlie to Middle Finger to Drano to the Cultural Center to Special Ed to Pyramid to Witch Doctor to Pyramid to Cat Walk to Lime Kiln to Stay High to S Trail to Scherman to the Cultural Center.

TD

mtbr member
    OK Woa:

What about this one. Cultural Center to Ledge'n'Airy to Girdner to Easy Rider to Plumber's Crack to Tim's Wash to Girdner to Last Frontier to Check Point Charlie to Middle Finger to Drano to the Cultural Center to Special Ed to Pyramid to Witch Doctor to Pyramid to Cat Walk to Lime Kiln to Stay High to S Trail to Scherman to the Cultural Center.

TD
    That sounds like an intriguing loop You catch Cat Walk off of Pyramid before the techy downhill and then loop around the west side of Scheurman Mtn?

mtbr member
    OK Woa:

TD
    It still doesn't change Last Frontier, Western Civ, Cockscomb or Aerie from being xc trails, which is my original statement. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with some good fitness riding, but to say Frontier has a similar feel as Made in the Shade, Slim Shady, Highline or Broken Arrow is one of the funniest things I've ever heard. Before spouting off every trail in an area, sit back and think about what you are trying to argue.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    It still doesn't change Last Frontier, Western Civ, Cockscomb or Aerie from being xc trails, which is my original statement. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with some good fitness riding, but to say Frontier has a similar feel as Made in the Shade, Slim Shady, Highline or Broken Arrow is one of the funniest things I've ever heard. Before spouting off every trail in an area, sit back and think about what you are trying to argue.
    I'd argue that the 2nd half of Last Frontier very much has a feel like Highline or upper Made in the Shade. And Slim Shady is an xc trail for the most part. There's not much tech or chunk other than weaving through the wash in places.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I'd argue that the 2nd half of Last Frontier very much has a feel like Highline or upper Made in the Shade. And Slim Shady is an xc trail for the most part. There's not much tech or chunk other than weaving through the wash in places.
    Even if you rode Upper Shades to Slim, there's be a little bit of climbing with a pay-off. You don't get that on Frontier. You just get to climb and pedal. Every decent is molested by erratically placed corners to allow people to climb the trail in both directions. There's not really any features that stand out in my mind as being any bit of challenging or fun.

If you descend lower shade or slim you can do it with minimal braking required and/or at speed. There's a few optional lines on slim if you want to make things a little more interesting.

I'll agree that the short section of Frontier is similar to the climb on highline, but again, without any pay off. At least with highline, you get a fun downhill from the pedestal to Baldwin with several rolls and some more optional lines if you look for them.

All in all, when I ride Frontier I am envious of my friends rigid 29er. I never have those sort of feelings anywhere on Highline or Shades.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    So how much do you think it would cost to put signs up for each of those trails?

mtbr member
    Even if you rode Upper Shades to Slim, there's be a little bit of climbing with a pay-off. You don't get that on Frontier. You just get to climb and pedal. Every decent is molested by erratically placed corners to allow people to climb the trail in both directions. There's not really any features that stand out in my mind as being any bit of challenging or fun.

If you descend lower shade or slim you can do it with minimal braking required and/or at speed. There's a few optional lines on slim if you want to make things a little more interesting.

I'll agree that the short section of Frontier is similar to the climb on highline, but again, without any pay off. At least with highline, you get a fun downhill from the pedestal to Baldwin with several rolls and some more optional lines if you look for them.

All in all, when I ride Frontier I am envious of my friends rigid 29er. I never have those sort of feelings anywhere on Highline or Shades.
    True dat, if tech and chunk is the payoff but otherwise I don't see the difference in payoff on upper Made in the Shade. A fast couple of switchbacks before you drop to Slim? Last Frontier has two fast downhill sections, the first to Checkpoint Charlie and then pretty much the rest all the way to Drano. Sure, there's no fun, backside descent like Highline but the combo of the L. Frontier-like climb followed by the techy backside is why HE is one of the best if not the best trail in Sedona. It's got a little of everything. I guess the pt I was trying to make is that there are sections of L. Frontier have very much the same feel as HE as it contours along the edge of Dry Creek canyon. And on a geological note it's the only trail besides Sketch, Under the Radar, and Huckabee that is in the Supai Formation. It really is the Last Frontier as it is situated on the southernmost edge of the Mogollon Rim. After that there are no more exposures of flat lying Paleozoic rocks and just manky exposures of Verde Valley Formation limestone. Much more recent in age and a poor surface for trail building. Been following the the Thumper Loop thread? Sorry, I digress but I guess there's other reasons I think it's a stellar trail besides it being more xc in nature.

One thing is for sure, Slim Shady has perhaps the best flow and fun layout of just about any trail in Sedona. In a south to north direction especially.
    Last edited by rockman; 12-15-2011 at 10:38 PM.

banned
    So how much do you think it would cost to put signs up for each of those trails?
    Last Frontier, Western Civ, Checkpoint Charlie and Middle Finger are all signed.

I agree with Rockman about Slim Shady, the gal that routed that trail and her girl friend who restored the trail from destruction should be given a lot of credit for keeping the Village of Oak Creek in a capacity to offer some of the best mountain biking in Sedona.

Without their efforts there would be no Taint, no Highline, no Easy Breezy, no Easy Sleezy, no Cathedral Vista to Slim Shady Connector. If those trails had not existed the VOC crowd would be mainly riding out the BRP to Templeton to ride the Baldwin loop as an out and back. They would still be walking the Buddha Beach section thinking to themselves we are having a great time.The other option would have been to ride BRP to Lama and Broken Arrow and Chicken Pointit or lastly they would be riding Rabbit Ears.

It's time for Woahey to get on his hands and knees and be very thankful to those that risked their freedom for his benefit. God only knows creating a world class trail system takes a lot of hard work and dedication while he contributes very little if any hard work. He says maybe he will volunteer to help with trail projects, but we all know what the reality of maybe is.

What a country!!!!

TD

mtbr member
    It's time for Woahey to get on his hands and knees and be very thankful to those that risked their freedom for his benefit. God only knows creating a world class trail system takes a lot of hard work and dedication while he contributes very little if any hard work. He says maybe he will volunteer to help with trail projects, but we all know what the reality of maybe is.

What a country!!!!

TD
    I didn't feel like bringing out the calculator, but I figure I have somewhere around 65 hours of volunteer work logged with the Red Rock Ranger District since June. Thats on top of working a full time job (except 2 months) and being out of town for 3 weeks. That's a lot of time I could have spent hiking with my wife and dogs. You should get your facts straight before you go running your mouth.

I hope you realize that many people are beginning not to agree with the TD ways. I know soon you will.
    - Julie Furtado

banned
    I hope you realize that many people are beginning not to agree with the TD ways. I know soon you will.
    Woahey:

You and I have not agreed on a lot of my trying to improve the mountain biking user experience in Sedona. I am certainly curious what you have actually accomplished during your 65 hours of volunteer work. Please provide an accounting of what you did for those 65 hours so I can get a better idea of how you have actually improved the experience of mountain bikers in Sedona.

I would love to see what you have done so I can apologize for wrongly judging you. Honestly, I have thought of you as just a complainer rather than a doer. If I have judged you incorrectly now is the time to show me you have been totally misjudged by me. Please provide the detailed accounting of the actual work for the 65 hours you have put in from June until now.

If in fact I have misjudged you, I apologize in advance and will apologize further when you provide your list of meaningful projects,

TD

banned
    Woahey:

You and I have not agreed on a lot of my trying to improve the mountain biking user experience in Sedona. I am certainly curious what you have actually accomplished during your 65 hours of volunteer work. Please provide an accounting of what you did for those 65 hours so I can get a better idea of how you have actually improved the experience of mountain bikers in Sedona.

I would love to see what you have done so I can apologize for wrongly judging you. Honestly, I have thought of you as just a complainer rather than a doer. If I have judged you incorrectly now is the time to show me you have been totally misjudged by me. Please provide the detailed accounting of the actual work for the 65 hours you have put in from June until now.

If in fact I have misjudged you, I apologize in advance and will apologize further when you provide your list of meaningful projects,

TD
    I was going to turn out the lights and get some sleep and I wondered to myself what volunteer work you could be doing to prove to me you are a doer rather than just a talker. I have heard there is a new project being worked on down in the Village of Oak Creek area. I am just curious if you and the locals down there have been working on that new connector my hiking buddies have been telling me I should go and check out.

I still look forward to your list, if you actually were working as a FS volunteer. If you are working on that new project you obviously can't provide a list. If in fact you have spent 65 hours on that project you definitely deserve my sincere apology.

TD

mtbr member
    Woahey:

You and I have not agreed on a lot of my trying to improve my mountain biking experience in Sedona. You have actually improved the experience of mountain bikers in Sedona.

I would love to apologize for wrongly judging you. Honestly, I have thought of you as just a complainer rather than a doer. You have been totally misjudged by me.

I have misjudged you, I apologize

TD
    Your original didn't sound too sincere. Fixed it for ya.

Edit: The best thing is all I had to do was delete the elitist jabber!
    - Julie Furtado

banned
    Your original didn't sound too sincere. Fixed it for ya.

Edit: The best thing is all I had to do was delete the elitist jabber!
    Woahey:

Great job on the edit-Thanks. Now just get me the list of what you have done, so I can do the apology myself. Thanks again for you help in improving the mountain biking user experience in Sedona.

TD

banned
    Hey Woa:

Since you seem to not want to supply the list of volunteer work you have done to improve the Sedona mountain biking experience, do you mind if I call Angie and get the info directlly from her? I made a few inquiries with the FS and at this point they wanted to know if you were going under some other name then Joey. They asked me if you were an old guy that worked as a greeter at the information center. I told them I didn't think that was you. You would have been out doing some heavy lifting projects, right?

TD

Human
    Munds Wagon to Hangover.

mtbr member
    Hey Woa:

Since you seem to not want to supply the list of volunteer work you have done to improve the Sedona mountain biking experience, do you mind if I call Angie and get the info directlly from her? I made a few inquiries with the FS and at this point they wanted to know if you were going under some other name then Joey. They asked me if you were an old guy that worked as a greeter at the information center. I told them I didn't think that was you. You would have been out doing some heavy lifting projects, right?

TD
    Why do you keep going on and on about everybody proving they have done maintenance?

You name the balcony. I'll bring the beer. One of us will piss further than the other. The other will video tape their attempt, post it on youtube and vimeo and declare themselves the winner regardless of outcome.
    - Julie Furtado

banned
    Why do you keep going on and on about everybody proving they have done maintenance?

You name the balcony. I'll bring the beer. One of us will piss further than the other. The other will video tape their attempt, post it on youtube and vimeo and declare themselves the winner regardless of outcome.

Woahey:

There is something VERY fishy about your reluctance to share the 60+ volunteer hours you indicate you have done for the Red Rock Ranger District to help out the Sedona mountain biking user experience. If in fact the volunteer hours had something to do with you riding around on some other mode of transportation that had nothing to do with Sedona mountain biking I think you owe me the apology.

I went out today and did some GPSing on the new trail sections recently added by last weekend's FS volunteer work day. If you were out there MAYBE helping out, thanks for your help. Soon I will incorporate the changes into my maps to give users a better chance to navigate our comprehensive world class trail system.

Trail conditions were a little sloppy today on the more sandy sections of different trails in the Dry Creek Area.

TD