The Sedona Munds Trail IMPROVEMENT is DONE- Mtbr.com
    banned

The Sedona Munds Trail IMPROVEMENT is DONE

Well today was the big day. I tried to go to bed early last night and ended up not sleeping due to the extreme STRESS I have been under recently over the proposed Munds Wagon TRAIL IMPROVEMENT, that I have been transparent about over the last week.

The Forest Service has been getting calls regularly from you know who, and just two days ago my jackhammer request was RECINDED. I felt the easiest way to complete the project was the use of a jackhammer. One or several individuals thought differently and they harassed the Forest Service until they gave in and said "sorry dude but NO JACKHAMMER!

When I heard that my world was turned upside down. How was an old guy like me going to get the project done easily without the use of a jackhammer? Fortunately for me and the mountain biking MASSES the Forest Service allowed two of their BEST trail improvers to come out and review the project I proposed.

Upon review of the crux point it was agreed that the top step should be modified into a ramp rather than it's current BIG STEP profile one bike length after a lower angled step.

Once the agreement was made one of the Forest Service employees RESPECTIVELY SAID something like, traildoc you got us out here so get your butt in gear and start modifying the big step into a ramp that mountain bikers will be able to clean.

Wow! Talk about the hot seat it was time to put up or shut up. Fortunately I had my new friend Mr. Blast along to help me with the fix. I met Mr. Blast on MTBR a while back and I offered him $500 to help me out on this project. Mr. Blast is a trail improvement guru in the Lake Tahoe area and his specialty is BLASTING and rock modification.

Well long story short, Blast, Justin, Laurent and I tackled this important project and did the fix in record time. After the new ramp was completed I tested it out and cleaned the climb on the third try.

I guess the moral of the story is don't give up even in the face of people telling you DON"T DO IT. The mountain biking masses will certainly be rewarded by a much better biking experience on this short section of trail.

Now the long term traildoc goal will be to complete other needed trail improvements on this recently improved trail. If you would like to help with this exciting project speak out.

This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIU-uEx75f8 ) filmed, thanks to Melinda, should give viewers the Intel they need make make up their minds whether the improvement was a SUCCESS or a FAILURE?

TD
    Last edited by traildoc; 04-21-2011 at 11:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Reminds me of Cool Hand Luke, where the prisoners are doing hard labor. But then Luke makes a game of the bad working conditions. Nice to see that the section y'all fixed is ridable uphill.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Looks good! I'll try it this morning before work. Thx TD

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by camjam
    Looks good! I'll try it this morning before work. Thx TD
    cam:

Give a report back if you get a chance.

TD

sprocket
    can't we just use the road instead and multiply the amount of people that can ride at the same time in that area? Seems like a waste to use the trail when there is a road right next to it.

AZ
    banned
    Thanks for the video.

banned
    Hopefully we can get some feedback, videos or pictures of others cleaning the section of Munds that recently got the new trail improvement otherwise, I may have to go out and make it a total ADA climb. That is a project I am not looking forward to.

TD

banned
    MTBR is an amazing forum that brings mountain bikers who share the same passion together from all over the world. Not only does it bring people together to ride it also brings like minded folks together to do trail improvements.

Such was the case when I hooked up with Blaster Ron. As stated in a prior post Blaster Ron and I did the Munds trail improvement together with the Forest Service approval and help of Justin and Laurant.

Ron just forwared me a picture of one of his projects with a bunch of like minded volunteers, after they had blasted a stubborn rock out of the proposed trail alignment they were working on.

With Blaster's help we hope to use some of his techniques to experdite the improvement of the Sedona trail system. We don't plan on doing a lot of blasting, but it sure might come in handy when hand labor would take too long.

TD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Sedona Munds Trail IMPROVEMENT is DONE-blast.jpg  

Tucson, AZ
    Saw this and thought of you TD:

I kind of enjoyed riding down that section you just changed. That said, I am not a local and it is not really my say. That said, thank you for all you do, just make sure to leave a few technical trails just that, technical trails.

mtbr member
    Here come the hormones, but damn who the hell made you guys in charge of the earth? I'm not a techy person, so I hike-a-bike around the stuff Mother Nature put there that's too difficult for me. I don't go around wishing people would come blasting their free will to destroy what has been for decades, that just sucks and I think it sucks even more that your proud of it. Maybe I'm ignorant as to what it has taken to make the trails I ride on, but being down here in Phoenix you ride what your given, and then you give thanks.

mtbr member
    Personally I would rather get off and push up just to have the challenge/pleasure of riding back down the way it used to be. Just my .02. Come to think of it, If we made all the trails rideable up, there would be no more technical descents of any kind. Sad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    ...just make sure to leave a few technical trails just that, technical trails.
    It is not TD's intention is to make every trail "non technical". To put things i perspective he took us on a ride with 10 people and took us down a steep tech slickrock section that he considered easy, but only half the group rode it. Does that put it in perspective a bit better?

Quote Originally Posted by loveaz
    I don't go around wishing people would come blasting their free will to destroy what has been for decades, that just sucks and I think it sucks even more that your proud of it.
    At that rate, why even build any trails at all?

Go ride with TD for a couple days, if you can clean all the "improvements" that he is responsible for I'll paypal you $20

Quote Originally Posted by supermoto
    If we made all the trails rideable up, there would be no more technical descents of any kind. Sad.
    And you think thats his intention? To make "all the trails rideable up"? LOL Thats why many of the trails in Sedona are supposed to be ridden one direction, gradual climb that few people can clean to a downhill thats so steep most people can't clean it either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If anyone is interested in future volunteer events and wants to be on our notification list, please pm me your contact information(email). With an adequate numbers of volunteers we can easily make multiple lines.
    Professional Trail Builder and Guvmint Employee

EDR
    if you can clean all the "improvements" that he is responsible for I'll paypal you $20
    Now I am absolutely positive you are just one of TD's alter ego's

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Now I am absolutely positive you are just one of TD's alter ego's
    edr:

Once again you think you know what you are talking about, BUT you don't have a clue. Jackbombay had a much different impression of TD a week or so ago then he does now for one simple reason, he went on several rides with me and I pointed out about 20 trail improvements that I had done while on the rides we did I also paid him $500 to say something nice about me, but that is besides the point. From what I showed him and the rides we did he came to his own conclusion.

I feel very good about the fact that the FS is wanting to work with the mountain biking community in making trail improvements on our trail system and let me tell you things are a 1,000 times better than they were several years ago.

The Sedona mountian bike haters will probably always hate mountain bikers and mountain biking trails, but it is my hope that they will be out numbered by those who understand mountain biking is a wonderful sport and the communities who support the sport are better for it.

TD

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by loveaz
    Here come the hormones, but damn who the hell made you guys in charge of the earth? I'm not a techy person, so I hike-a-bike around the stuff Mother Nature put there that's too difficult for me. I don't go around wishing people would come blasting their free will to destroy what has been for decades, that just sucks and I think it sucks even more that your proud of it. Maybe I'm ignorant as to what it has taken to make the trails I ride on, but being down here in Phoenix you ride what your given, and then you give thanks.
    If you want to ride what Mother Nature has provided, or what has been there for decades, then try NOT using the trail.

Trails, by definition, are a sanitization of what was already there.

The world is not black and white (neither are trails).....there's plenty of grey to go around......

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem
    If you want to ride what Mother Nature has provided, or what has been there for decades, then try NOT using the trail.

Trails, by definition, are a sanitization of what was already there.

The world is not black and white (neither are trails).....there's plenty of grey to go around......
    PC:

You are keeeerect, as I have stated in the past Sedona is one of the best places in the whole world to ride off trail. I don't recommend it, but if one can't find any trails in Sedona that put a on their face they can just ride off trail about ten feet and follow your buddies.

When we take the dogs out they like to run off trail next to the group, if they can do it I am sure others can. I would recommend using about 16 oz. of Slime or 8 oz of Stan's in each tire. If you want to keep from getting flats .

ramajon posts a lot of his rides on Everytrail and alot of them go out into the bush. Others might try a couple out. Those that go out please provide some video.

TD

Occidental Tourist
    we had a rousing discussion of this last weekend as we sipped tasty san tan brewery beverages and rode bikes. the consensus among a diverse group of riders was, keep up the good work. if folks are going to focus on small things and not the overall system (and plenty of techie trails you have added), not much can be done about that.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    we had a rousing discussion of this last weekend as we sipped tasty san tan brewery beverages and rode bikes. the consensus among a diverse group of riders was, keep up the good work. if folks are going to focus on small things and not the overall system (and plenty of techie trails you have added), not much can be done about that.
    YB:

Thanks for the encouragement it is a tuff battle, but I will keep trying even though I get awful depressed at times .

The picture is of an improvement I did about four year ago. Whenever I ride Damifino I ride this line and continue to the Grasshopper Park parking lot. If others want to take the optional line to the right of me I won't complain that they are trying to make me look bad.

This is the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-9di7NEZuk) of the ride. The rock roll is at the end of the video.

TD
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by traildoc; 04-25-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Mtb Bum

Keep up the good work

Thanks for keeping Ron busy out there Traildoc. Nice to see him up to something useful for a change.

There's always a critic or two. Of course, ya hardly ever see them out on volunteer days adding their input and effort where it really counts.

A lot of the work we do in the Sierra is on multi-use trails and we have to take ALL user groups into consideration. Sure, it would be fun to make trails that are all solely technical challenges for advanced mtn bikers, but we have hikers of all ages and equestrians to think about...and in some cases, motorcycles as well.

Let's see the critics spend a few days working out in the field (let alone a few months like we do) getting various types of feedback from all the trail users that come by...as well as the land manager's goals, vision and requirements. They may begin to understand why things are done the way they are and what we go through trying to balance all the different stakeholder needs and preferences.

What keeps me going are the big smiles I see on 99% of the people out there enjoying trails we toil over.
    Support Lakes Basin and Downieville Trails:

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik
    Thanks for keeping Ron busy out there Traildoc. Nice to see him up to something useful for a change.

There's always a critic or two. Of course, ya hardly ever see them out on volunteer days adding their input and effort where it really counts.

A lot of the work we do in the Sierra is on multi-use trails and we have to take ALL user groups into consideration. Sure, it would be fun to make trails that are all solely technical challenges for advanced mtn bikers, but we have hikers of all ages and equestrians to think about...and in some cases, motorcycles as well.

Let's see the critics spend a few days working out in the field (let alone a few months like we do) getting various types of feedback from all the trail users that come by...as well as the land manager's goals, vision and requirements. They may begin to understand why things are done the way they are and what we go through trying to balance all the different stakeholder needs and preferences.

What keeps me going are the big smiles I see on 99% of the people out there enjoying trails we toil over.
    Erik:

Thanks for the support, it was great meeting, working and riding with Ron and Melinda. They said they had a good time riding all the trail improved trails, so I felt good about that.

TD

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    TD,

Great job on the improvement. Took me 2 tries to get it. That trail has come together very nicely. Ramp at the top of the climb..........brilliant!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by camjam
    TD,

Great job on the improvement. Took me 2 tries to get it. That trail has come together very nicely. Ramp at the top of the climb..........brilliant!

CJ:

Thanks for the report back. I know you are a good rider and don't think that climb will even be made by the masses. I think the trail should get more use in the uphill direction now.

TD

EDR
    Once again you think you know what you are talking about, BUT you don't have a clue.
    TD: Once again you are taking me waaay too seriously. I guess my net-persona-dry-humor-sarcastic nature is lost in translation on the interweb

Anyway, my buddy and I are planning a Sedona overnight trip in 2 to 5 weeks depending on shedules.....you are going to have to show us around if available. I promise not to be as sarcastic in person And no, we do not wish to perform trail duties, just ride them.

banned
    TD: Once again you are taking me waaay too seriously. I guess my net-persona-dry-humor-sarcastic nature is lost in translation on the interweb

Anyway, my buddy and I are planning a Sedona overnight trip in 2 to 5 weeks depending on shedules.....you are going to have to show us around if available. I promise not to be as sarcastic in person And no, we do not wish to perform trail duties, just ride them.
    edr:

I don't think I am taking you seriously at all I am just pretending that I am taking you seriously, so you can come back with your "your are taking me waaay to seriously response" response. Pretending to take you seriously is a good way of getting you to come back with your standard "you are taking me waaay too seriously" comment. It kind of gives you a more credible perception by most viewers.

TD

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    edr:

I don't think I am taking you seriously at all I am just pretending that I am taking you seriously, so you can come back with your "your are taking me waaay to seriously response" response. Pretending to take you seriously is a good way of getting you to come back with your standard "you are taking me waaay too seriously" comment. It kind of gives you a more credible perception by most viewers.

TD
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    edr:

TD
    That's odd. I knew he wasn't being serious the second I read it. We didn't need any kind of explanation from him.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1
    Ha ha! I agree. Way to get'm TD! Congrats on the positive responses. I'll be up sometime. Then I'll know for reals....
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

EDR
    edr:

TD
    I don't know what you just said but I do enjoy interesting people. You sir, are the current reigning champion of mtbr interesting people. Can't wait to meet you

banned
    I don't know what you just said but I do enjoy interesting people. You sir, are the current reigning champion of mtbr interesting people. Can't wait to meet you

Members who have read this thread: 0