Sedona Loop suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sedona Loop suggestions

Leading a Knolly gathering in Sedona at the end of the month and while Iím pretty familiar with the standard H trails and the Broken Arrow Chicken Point Little Horse Llama stuff, Iíd like to put together a few, fun, second rides in the Carol Canyon area (which I havenít ridden at all) and the Dry Creek Road Area which Iíve only ridden a few times. Such a maze of trails out there anymore.

Would love some sluggestions for some fun 2-3 hour loops for a group of strong upper intermediate to advanced riders in those areas.

It looks like from Trailforks a fun loop in the Carol Canyon area might include Skywalker to Old Post to Ridge then back on Herkenham or Scorpion. Or would that loop be better CCW? Or would that loop suck balls and you have a better suggestion?

For the Dry Creek Road Area there are so many options. I was thinking something like Outer Limits to Drano to Last Frontier to Western Civilization, Cockscomb, Dawa to Mescal via Canyon of Fools, then Girdner to Ledge-N-Airy.

Is that too big a ride for a second ride? Suggestions for something else in that area more in line with my goal.

Thanks in advance. Weíll be there three days and would like to do two pretty good 2-4 hr rides each day and like I said the standard Hogs, Highline, and Hangover rides are a must.

Also curious/interested in Transcept and Turkey Creek. Worth doing? And whatís the best way to fit them in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Some loops outside the H's I've done that I liked:

Chuckwagon -> Mescal -> Aerie (half) -> Cockscomb -> Aerie (western half) -> Cockscomb -> Dawa -> Anaconda. Pretty fun casual xc figure 8 loop. Could also continue on Aerie all the way 2nd time to Mescal and then Canyon of Fools to Dawa to Anaconda.

Ledge-N-Airy to Last Frontier to Girdner is also good. More difficult and techy. Recent threads say stuff has changed in this area with re-routes etc so not sure how it all links together now.

Scorpion -> Pyramind -> Ridge (bit of HAB to start) -> Sketch -> Carroll Cyn -> Old Post -> Skywalker. Starting at the bottom at Ridge might be the best ride but I don't think there is much parking access down there. Might be a few spots at bottom of Pyramid/Red Rock Loop Rd. Otherwise suck it up and part at the ampitheater or high school.

I rode Transept my last Sedona trip. Its a cool trail that is still pretty raw/narrow. Only problem is it doesn't connect well to anything. Starting from VOC you can do the normal Slim shady - Highline then Transept and pedal ~3mi pavement back to VOC. Worth doing if you've never done it before. Or go north to Baldwin/Templeton/Easy Breezy/Sleazy.

Teacup is pretty cool as well as some other trails in that area but I'm not that familiar with the area in terms of good loops, but I'm sure something could be put together there too.

Further south another loop that could be worth while is BCT / Copper Mtn loop. It's about 15mi including short lollipop on BCT from Hwy 69. Might work if people are heading south on 3rd day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Leading a Knolly gathering in Sedona at the end of the month and while Iím pretty familiar with the standard H trails and the Broken Arrow Chicken Point Little Horse Llama stuff, Iíd like to put together a few, fun, second rides in the Carol Canyon area (which I havenít ridden at all) and the Dry Creek Road Area which Iíve only ridden a few times. Such a maze of trails out there anymore.

Would love some sluggestions for some fun 2-3 hour loops for a group of strong upper intermediate to advanced riders in those areas.

It looks like from Trailforks a fun loop in the Carol Canyon area might include Skywalker to Old Post to Ridge then back on Herkenham or Scorpion. Or would that loop be better CCW? Or would that loop suck balls and you have a better suggestion?

For the Dry Creek Road Area there are so many options. I was thinking something like Outer Limits to Drano to Last Frontier to Western Civilization, Cockscomb, Dawa to Mescal via Canyon of Fools, then Girdner to Ledge-N-Airy.

Is that too big a ride for a second ride? Suggestions for something else in that area more in line with my goal.

Thanks in advance. Weíll be there three days and would like to do two pretty good 2-4 hr rides each day and like I said the standard Hogs, Highline, and Hangover rides are a must.

Also curious/interested in Transcept and Turkey Creek. Worth doing? And whatís the best way to fit them in?

First you need to update your Trailforks database. This should be a fun loop for your group in the Dry Creek area:

Two Fences to Girdner to Outer Limits to Cockscomb (left) to Aerie to Deadmans to Mescal to To Long Canyon to Chuckwagon to Lower Lizardhead.

Carroll Canyon area:

Schuerman to Scorpion to Pyramid to Chavez Rd. to Old Post to Ramshead to Ridge (right) to Secret Slickrock to Chavez Rd. (left) to Ridge (right) to Sketch to Ridge (left) to Old Post to Skywalker to Herkenham to Old Post (right) to Chavez Rd. to Scorpion to Schuerman (right)

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I rode Transept my last Sedona trip. Its a cool trail that is still pretty raw/narrow. Only problem is it doesn't connect well to anything. Starting from VOC you can do the normal Slim shady - Highline then Transept and pedal ~3mi pavement back to VOC. Worth doing if you've never done it before. Or go north to Baldwin/Templeton/Easy Breezy/Sleazy.
    KRob ride the Turkey Creek stuff after riding Transcept north to south. After dropping down the sweet DH at the end go north on Verde Valley School Rd about .8 of a mile and where the road bends look to your left and you'll see a trail. Take that to Turkey Creek for some old school Sedona tech. I can send you a track if you like. Thankfully not everything is on trailforks.

From VoC and coming back around on Baldwin>Templeton>Breezys that's a 15 mile/3 hour loop.

Another way to do Transcept is as a Figure 8 with HiLine doing the climb part twice. At that point most mortals will be happy to finish on the road back to VOC.

The other recommendations are good. I'll add that Dry Creek trails are very tame with little tech. The exception being Mescal if you take the high line or if you bomb COF as fast as you can and ride the walls. But you have to pedal your guts out to really make it spicy.

mtbr member
    Some loops outside the H's I've done that I liked:

Chuckwagon -> Mescal -> Aerie (half) -> Cockscomb -> Aerie (western half) -> Cockscomb -> Dawa -> Anaconda. Pretty fun casual xc figure 8 loop. Could also continue on Aerie all the way 2nd time to Mescal and then Canyon of Fools to Dawa to Anaconda.

Ledge-N-Airy to Last Frontier to Girdner is also good. More difficult and techy. Recent threads say stuff has changed in this area with re-routes etc so not sure how it all links together now.

Scorpion -> Pyramind -> Ridge (bit of HAB to start) -> Sketch -> Carroll Cyn -> Old Post -> Skywalker. Starting at the bottom at Ridge might be the best ride but I don't think there is much parking access down there. Might be a few spots at bottom of Pyramid/Red Rock Loop Rd. Otherwise suck it up and part at the ampitheater or high school.

Teacup is pretty cool as well as some other trails in that area but I'm not that familiar with the area in terms of good loops, but I'm sure something could be put together there too.

Further south another loop that could be worth while is BCT / Copper Mtn loop. It's about 15mi including short lollipop on BCT from Hwy 69. Might work if people are heading south on 3rd day.

Good suggestions. Thanks. Any idea how long those loop suggestions in the Dry Creek area are? On the Transcept route you suggested, you would miss the second half of Highline, right? Is it practical/doable to just do an OAB on Transcept as part of our normal Highline loop? Doesn't look too bad. Only 1000' of climbing over 3 miles coming back up it.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    KRob ride the Turkey Creek stuff after riding Transcept north to south. After dropping down the sweet DH at the end go north on Verde Valley School Rd about .8 of a mile and where the road bends look to your left and you'll see a trail. Take that to Turkey Creek for some old school Sedona tech. I can send you a track if you like. Thankfully not everything is on trailforks.
    So how do you return from Turkey Creek? Trailforks makes it look like it just kind of dead ends out there at the South (West) end. Are these the tracks you're talking about?

Another way to do Transcept is as a Figure 8 with HiLine doing the climb part twice. At that point most mortals will be happy to finish on the road back to VOC.
    Would doing the Hiline climb twice be preferable to just doing Transcept as an OAB in the middle of the Hiline loop?

The other recommendations are good. I'll add that Dry Creek trails are very tame with little tech. The exception being Mescal if you take the high line or if you bomb COF as fast as you can and ride the walls. But you have to pedal your guts out to really make it spicy.
    Right (with the exception of Ledge-N-Airy, right?).Some fun swoopy desert singletrack spinning is OK occasionally. Especially as a second ride.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

These are good rides - more XC, less enduro, to my tastes.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    First you need to update your Trailforks database.
    Not sure how to do that. Do I just go to Apps and get Trailforks updates or is it something I do in Trailforks?

This should be a fun loop for your group in the Dry Creek area:

Two Fences to Girdner to Outer Limits to Cockscomb (left) to Aerie to Deadmans to Mescal to To Long Canyon to Chuckwagon to Lower Lizardhead.
    Sounds fun. Any idea on the length of that loop? So from your other post about the rerouting/renaming of Final Frontier I assume Outer Limits is the new FF?

Carroll Canyon area:

Schuerman to Scorpion to Pyramid to Chavez Rd. to Old Post to Ramshead to Ridge (right) to Secret Slickrock to Chavez Rd. (left) to Ridge (right) to Sketch to Ridge (left) to Old Post to Skywalker to Herkenham to Old Post (right) to Chavez Rd. to Scorpion to Schuerman (right)
    That sounds like a nice tour of the area. I like that it includes some of the more techy stuff like Pyramid, Ramshead, Sketch, and Secret Slickrock. Thanks for connecting those dots. Any idea on length? Looks like probably and good 3 hour ride?

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    So how do you return from Turkey Creek? Trailforks makes it look like it just kind of dead ends out there at the South (West) end. Are these the tracks you're talking about?.
    No, that would be the climb (or DH) to the top of House Mountain. If you want a backcountry ride with lots of rocky doubletrack you could do the old classic house mountain ride and throw in Hot Loop. The trail I mentioned basically rides E-W and then you get up on a ridge and go around a butte with a fun, chunky descent down to what is called Turkey Creek alternate on Trailforks. It adds 30 min with some HAB but is very scenic and has that old school raw vibe. You would like it.

Would doing the Hiline climb twice be preferable to just doing Transcept as an OAB in the middle of the Hiline loop?
    That wouldn't be my choice but I'm a loop guy. On the other hand, the climb even with more ascending, would be easier that the short but punch climbs north to south. N>S there will be some HAB except for the strongest of riders. That said, I still ride the 3 miles in under 25 min even with the HAB. And the HiLine climb is quite nice. It's getting harder with more embedded rocks poking out but for those that like to climb with a few challenges it is arguably the best in Sedona. The climb up to HO kinda sucks in my opinion.

Right (with the exception of Ledge-N-Airy, right?).Some fun swoopy desert singletrack spinning is OK occasionally. Especially as a second ride.
    You can't really you can't go wrong in Dry Creek from a pedally, xc perspective. All the trails ride good in either direction. With the Western Gateway project L-n-A has been shortened and rerouted. I'm not sure if they are going to eventually incorporate the rest of it or if it has been naturalized. I would call it techy with some of it kinda awkward and slow. It's a contouring trail with tech moves. Personally, I don't go out of my way to ride it.

I also wouldn't go anywhere near Chuckwagon or Gunslinger in March. The hikers are crawling all over the place like locusts. Even mid-week.

mtbr member
    That sounds like a nice tour of the area. I like that it includes some of the more techy stuff like Pyramid, Ramshead, Sketch, and Secret Slickrock. Thanks for connecting those dots. Any idea on length? Looks like probably and good 3 hour ride?
    I'd do switchblade's loop suggestion as your 2nd ride. That basic CCW loop will take 2 hours and is about 9 miles. If you want to make it a bit longer with two sustained climbs but maximizing the best descents the consider parking at the Recycling Center. Climb and then drop Ridge which is chunky but dang good fun. Left on Chavez Ranch Rd and then a right on Secret Slickrock. Take that ALL the way to Red Rock Crossing Rd. With Ridge that makes for one of the longer descents in Sedona (500'+). Climb the road and keep climbing up Herkenham. Drop Scorpion but do Pyramid for sure. Climb Old Post and then finish with a downhill to the Recycling Center. That adds another 2 miles for a total of 11 with more climbing.

mtbr member
    I ride this route often, so I can offer some info. I don't often add in the Herkenham-Old Post-Scorpion loop at the end, though. Minus that, it's just a squish over 10 miles with about 1,200 feet of elevation gain. Takes me about 1.5 hours.

The Herkenham-Old Post descent will probably take you not much more than eight minutes or so. The climb back up Scorpion is around two miles with roughly 400 feet of climbing. Doesn't sound like much, but I promise you it's a gut buster of a climb. Takes me around 20 minutes.

Adding in some time to play around at Secret Slickrock and enjoying the views, the whole shebang will probably work out to around 2.5-3 hours. It's a great way to connect the Carroll Canyon area trails. Ending on the Scorpion climb isn't ideal, but as long as you're in the mindset for it, all is good. Have fun!
    Last edited by JimN; 1 Week Ago at 11:50 AM. Reason: Subtracting distance from home.

mtbr member
    Mescal and Chuckwagon have the most technical (if you want to call it that) sections of the trails in the Dry Creek area... so be sure not to skip those..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    Mescal and Chuckwagon have the most technical (if you want to call it that) sections of the trails in the Dry Creek area... so be sure not to skip those..
    Not sure I'd call Chuckwagon technical at all. It does get better if you have a penchant for riding in the wilderness and add in Earls.

The best descent in the Dry Creek area is Anaconda to Snake. Work that into the mix somehow.

This is a sweet vid of the DH down Secret Slickrock. After Pyramid and combined with either Sketch or Ridge it's the best tech in the Carrol Canyon area. https://www.facebook.com/AbsoluteBik...0056608105788/

mtbr member
    Not sure I'd call Chuckwagon technical at all. It does get better if you have a penchant for riding in the wilderness and add in Earls.

The best descent in the Dry Creek area is Anaconda to Snake. Work that into the mix somehow.

This is a sweet vid of the DH down Secret Slickrock. After Pyramid and combined with either Sketch or Ridge it's the best tech in the Carrol Canyon area. https://www.facebook.com/AbsoluteBik...0056608105788/
    im using the word technical for lack of a better term.. I too, don't think its "technical"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    im using the word technical for lack of a better term.. I too, don't think its "technical"
    Righto, sorry I misread that. On the other hand, CW or pretty much most of the trails in the Dry Creek area plenty technical for an intermediate rider. It's an exponential scale.

mtbr member
    Righto, sorry I misread that. On the other hand, CW or pretty much most of the trails in the Dry Creek area plenty technical for an intermediate rider. It's an exponential scale.
    you may find this interesting...
    gravel riders have adopted the term technical to describe any dirt road that is rough... or at least that is what I have read on the az gravel rides facebook page... to make things even more complicated...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimN View Post
    I ride this route often, so I can offer some info. I don't often add in the Herkenham-Old Post-Scorpion loop at the end, though. Minus that, it's just a squish over 10 miles with about 1,200 feet of elevation gain. Takes me about 1.5 hours.

The Herkenham-Old Post descent will probably take you not much more than eight minutes or so. The climb back up Scorpion is around two miles with roughly 400 feet of climbing. Doesn't sound like much, but I promise you it's a gut buster of a climb. Takes me around 20 minutes.

Adding in some time to play around at Secret Slickrock and enjoying the views, the whole shebang will probably work out to around 2.5-3 hours. It's a great way to connect the Carroll Canyon area trails. Ending on the Scorpion climb isn't ideal, but as long as you're in the mindset for it, all is good. Have fun!
    Awesome! That kind of on-the-ground intel is super helpful. Much appreciated. We'll see how everyone's legs are doing before tackling the climb out on Scorpion (two miles and 546' according to TF).

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Awesome! That kind of on-the-ground intel is super helpful. Much appreciated. We'll see how everyone's legs are doing before tackling the climb out on Scorpion (two miles and 546' according to TF).
    I've posted enough in this thread already but because I'm a know-it-all I will suggest not descending Herkenham or Old Post. Maybe as something different when you've ridden everything else but YOU DO want to descend Scorpion and then do Pyramid (aka Witch Doctor). Sketch is a better climb as well. Not that Scorpion isn't a good climb but it's much better ridden in a downhill direction. Don't climb Pyramid either. That will be a lengthy HAB. IMO opinion but I think even Traildoc would concur.

mtbr member
    I also wouldn't go anywhere near Chuckwagon or Gunslinger in March. The hikers are crawling all over the place like locusts. Even mid-week.
    I was going to add that to my post, but forgot. Yeah the hikers are everywhere now. Tons of them on Hiline sometimes, too.

KRob, I think any of those loops I mentioned would take 2-3 hours depending on pace, number of stops, etc. Transept could definitely be out-n-backed from top of Hiline. Just turn around near the top of the final descent - it's pretty obvious when you're there, there's a fun rock ramp to roll down. The rest of the descent is fun but was also crawling with hikers last time I did it.

mtbr member
    No, that would be the climb (or DH) to the top of House Mountain. If you want a backcountry ride with lots of rocky doubletrack you could do the old classic house mountain ride and throw in Hot Loop. The trail I mentioned basically rides E-W and then you get up on a ridge and go around a butte with a fun, chunky descent down to what is called Turkey Creek alternate on Trailforks. It adds 30 min with some HAB but is very scenic and has that old school raw vibe. You would like it.
    Sounds like it would be worth it. Go ahead and send me some tracks..... or come out and guide us

That wouldn't be my choice but I'm a loop guy. On the other hand, the climb even with more ascending, would be easier that the short but punch climbs north to south. N>S there will be some HAB except for the strongest of riders. That said, I still ride the 3 miles in under 25 min even with the HAB. And the HiLine climb is quite nice. It's getting harder with more embedded rocks poking out but for those that like to climb with a few challenges it is arguably the best in Sedona. The climb up to HO kinda sucks in my opinion.
    I don't mind OAB especially if it avoids a 3 mile road ride to complete the loop, ha ha.... although I'm not opposed to that either. We'll see everyone is doing then decide. Good point about the Hiline climb. It's just about the right combination of steep and tech without being too steep or too tech. It's well routed. So when you get to the south end of Transcept you'd turn left on Verde Valley then skirt through the neighborhood back to B&B?

You can't really you can't go wrong in Dry Creek from a pedally, xc perspective. All the trails ride good in either direction. With the Western Gateway project L-n-A has been shortened and rerouted. I'm not sure if they are going to eventually incorporate the rest of it or if it has been naturalized. I would call it techy with some of it kinda awkward and slow. It's a contouring trail with tech moves. Personally, I don't go out of my way to ride it.

L-N-A is still there though, right? evdog (?) said there'd been some reroutes in the area and wondered if it was going to be adopted or reclaimed.
    Good point about Chuckwagon and hikers. I'd heard that side was getting super crowded.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    I've posted enough in this thread already but because I'm a know-it-all I will suggest not descending Herkenham or Old Post. Maybe as something different when you've ridden everything else but YOU DO want to descend Scorpion and then do Pyramid (aka Witch Doctor). Sketch is a better climb as well. Not that Scorpion isn't a good climb but it's much better ridden in a downhill direction. Don't climb Pyramid either. That will be a lengthy HAB. IMO opinion but I think even Traildoc would concur.
    In case there was any misunderstanding, I was concurring with Switch's suggestion to start down Scorpion to Pyramid - Old Post - Ramshead - Ridge - Secret Slickrock - Ridge - Sketch - Ridge - Old Post - Skywalker. He also suggested finishing the ride with a loop down Herkenham & Old Post, and back up Scorpion -- I was trying to give fair warning that you need to be in the right mindset if you choose to finish the ride that way.

Your suggestion for the spicier alternative route is great too, as I know KRob likes the chunk. Plus, it ends with some icing on the cake rather than a slog of a climb on tired legs.

mtbr member
    Sounds like it would be worth it. Go ahead and send me some tracks..... or come out and guide us .
    I sent you some links via PM. Let me know if it works. As for House Mtn I'll pass but there's other off the grid stuff that is worthy. I'll be in BC at the end of the month but will be back those last couple of days and might be able to get out.

We need to make up for the aborted Damifino/Brewpub ride. Well, I made it but I think you got stuck behind a jackknifed semi on 89

I don't mind OAB especially if it avoids a 3 mile road ride to complete the loop, ha ha.... although I'm not opposed to that either. We'll see everyone is doing then decide. Good point about the Hiline climb. It's just about the right combination of steep and tech without being too steep or too tech. It's well routed. So when you get to the south end of Transcept you'd turn left on Verde Valley then skirt through the neighborhood back to B&B?.
    It's more like 2 miles and not 3. Depending on where you parked in VoC take a left at the stop sign on Bell Rock Blvd. That will climb past the golf course and bring you out on 179 near the Bean.

L-N-A is still there though, right? evdog (?) said there'd been some reroutes in the area and wondered if it was going to be adopted or reclaimed.
    Good point about Chuckwagon and hikers. I'd heard that side was getting super crowded.
    Maybe Switchblade can add more on this but 1/3 of L-n-A has been adopted. The rest is either being naturalized or being worked on and brought up to standard for adoption. My guess is you could still ride it. It's been over a year since I rode it last so not sure on the status.

Expect HiLine and Hogs to also be hiker infested if you ride them on a weekend.

mtbr member
    Good to know. I think I've decided to either do SB's loop suggestion or this second option you suggested starting from the Recycling Center.

"If you want to make it a bit longer with two sustained climbs but maximizing the best descents the consider parking at the Recycling Center. Climb and then drop Ridge which is chunky but dang good fun. Left on Chavez Ranch Rd and then a right on Secret Slickrock. Take that ALL the way to Red Rock Crossing Rd. With Ridge that makes for one of the longer descents in Sedona (500'+). Climb the road and keep climbing up Herkenham. Drop Scorpion but do Pyramid for sure. Climb Old Post and then finish with a downhill to the Recycling Center."

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Good to know. I think I've decided to either do SB's loop suggestion or this second option you suggested starting from the Recycling Center.
    You could also start at the H.S. or Cultural Park and simply ride Skywalker over to Ridge. Or start with Scorpion instead of Ridge. It's a great area and first to dry out. I was just suggesting a double climb to work Ridge-Secret Slickrock into the mix. Going down Sketch is good as well. There's not much parking at the Recycling Center. But less driving if your coming from the VOC direction. If your staying in VoC all this stuff could be tacked onto a HiLine loop by crossing Oak Creek for a 4 or 5 hour ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Krob whatever loop you do in Dry Creek or Carroll Canyon areas please let us know what it was, so I can post it in the Trailforks Loop suggestions. Hopefully I can use your name to market the ride (e.g. Krobís Preferred Dry Creek Loop).

I have all kinds of improvements of cool options I could add to make either of my suggestions more fun, but we will have to wait another fifteen years before those segments will be incorporated into a system status. If some of your crew were really hardcore you could send the 5%íers on Ledge-n-Airy (if your riding from west to east) when you top out on Outer Limits. Lede-n-Airy parallels Outer Limits and is a very technical trail. For me it sucks riding it west to east.

mtbr member
    You could also start at the H.S. or Cultural Park and simply ride Skywalker over to Ridge.
    Ah good idea. Weíre staying at an Airbnb just off Dry Creek Rd so we could probably just ride over.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Krob whatever loop you do in Dry Creek or Carroll Canyon areas please let us know what it was, so I can post it in the Trailforks Loop suggestions. Hopefully I can use your name to market the ride (e.g. Krobís Preferred Dry Creek Loop).

I have all kinds of improvements of cool options I could add to make either of my suggestions more fun, but we will have to wait another fifteen years before those segments will be incorporated into a system status. If some of your crew were really hardcore you could send the 5%íers on Ledge-n-Airy (if your riding from west to east) when you top out on Outer Limits. Lede-n-Airy parallels Outer Limits and is a very technical trail. For me it sucks riding it west to east.
    Will do! Not that my name carries any weight around here let alone on PB/Trail Forks, ha ha.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and Iíll be sure and check back in (hopefully not) 15 years for all the new stuff youíre working on.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Will do! Not that my name carries any weight around here let alone on PB/Trail Forks, ha ha.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and Iíll be sure and check back in (hopefully not) 15 years for all the new stuff youíre working on.

I am not working on anything. The concepts are already being enjoyed now, itís just a matter of people like yourself not getting to enjoy them because of the PROCESS.

You could always make the adopted Ledge-n-Airy section a loop an add on to my original suggestion. If you do, donít ride down the section of Ledge-n-Airy (that use to be Drano) that drops down to Outer Limits near the Dry Creek Crossing. If you want to incorporate that section into your ride I included the map, if you find my previous instructions confusing. Did you update your smartphone Trailforks app by going into Settings and Download Regions then Arizona and press on the arrrow circle?

[/QUOTE]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sedona Loop suggestions-191b7421-b5d5-4e88-bc1b-bc6a45310535.jpg  

Sedona Loop suggestions-17e845ed-5799-4b7b-a5f6-bd20afe496a2.jpg  

Sedona Loop suggestions-ee741d05-bb71-47c5-880c-d2b9024c5f55.jpg  

Sedona Loop suggestions-c3f39e4d-9ceb-40de-9b90-2a4ef50aa62b.jpg  

Last edited by Switchblade2; 1 Week Ago at 11:55 PM.

mtbr member

Sedona Loop suggestions

You could always make the adopted Ledge-n-Airy section a loop an add on to my original suggestion.
    I considered that. Weíll see how everyoneís feeling and make the call when we get there. Might split up then and let the 5% ers tackle that one.

Did you update your smartphone Trailforks app by going into Settings and Download Regions then Arizona and press on the arrrow circle?
    I did, thanks. I couldnít tell what changed though. Iíll see if mine has the updated Ledge-N-Airy and Outer Limits stuff shown on the map you posted now.

Last edited by KRob; 5 Days Ago at 10:45 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I considered that. Weíll see how everyoneís feeling and make the call when we get there. Might split up then and let the 5% ers tackle that one.

I did, thanks. I couldnít tell what changed though. Iíll see if mine has the updated Ledge-N-Airy and Outer Link stuff you showed on the map you posted now.

It would be cool if you could split the group and the advanced riders could ride Ledge-n-Airy west to east, the east to west direction sucks. I think it could be the hightlite of the ride. Itís very uniquely challenging and would take about 33 extra minutes to ride.

If the Technically advanced group is faster than the other group they could ride ahead of the slow group who might take a ten minute break at the end of the Girdner Reroute and the fast group rides ahead to do Ledge-n-Airy.

mtbr member
    It would be cool if you could split the group and the advanced riders could ride Ledge-n-Airy west to east, the east to west direction sucks. I think it could be the hightlite of the ride. Itís very uniquely challenging and would take about 33 extra minutes to ride.

If the Technically advanced group is faster than the other group they could ride ahead of the slow group who might take a ten minute break at the end of the Girdner Reroute and the fast group rides ahead to do Ledge-n-Airy.
    That sounds great. So how are you suggesting getting to the west end of LNA for a west to east route? Just have the ďAĒ Group ride ahead on Outer Limits then Loop back on LNA to meet the group?

I might need another trail by trail, turn by turn description of the whole route including this option. Thanks. You can send a pm if you want.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    That sounds great. So how are you suggesting getting to the west end of LNA for a west to east route? Just have the ďAĒ Group ride ahead on Outer Limits then Loop back on LNA to meet the group?

I might need another trail by trail, turn by turn description of the whole route including this option. Thanks. You can send a pm if you want.

Ok here is a suggestion for the:

Fast group. They ride on Outer Limits to the west end of Ledge-n-Airy (black trail because itís real techie) and head initially north to east back to the Outer Limts they just rode. They turn right and head west on Outer Limits again. They continue to follow Outer Limits past their starting point on Lege-n-Airy. They continue on Outer Limits to the Slow Group which may or may not want to ride up to the fast group. .

Slow Group rides west on Outer Limits to the Outer Limits/Ledge-n-Airy intersection. They stay right at the split on the Ledge-n-Airy (blue trail because itís easy) and head west downhill. When they reach Outer Limits at the bottom they turn left and ride uphill back to the fast group which is heading downhill to meet them. Then you all turn and ride downhill on Outer Limits to the Dry Creek wash crossing. If the slow group doesnít want to ride up Outer Limits and do the turn around they can just head to Dry Creek Wash.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sedona Loop suggestions-94e6569a-0eec-4886-917c-6709e826cdf0.jpg  

Sedona Loop suggestions-f4fb1d67-d9df-420f-9126-b39437b4af56.jpg  

Sedona Loop suggestions-26a177c1-7785-46b3-8dbf-bf1399d4d11e.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    We are going to be out on the West side of Sedona next week. Is Dry Creek dry, or is it running? Got major rain in the Valley and New River is running. I read there were changes in trails on the west side and remember Girdner (I think) crossed the creek a few time. Has always been dry except once. Excited to see the changes. Been a while since we rode out from the Cultural Center. Taking wife and she is getting over a crash that put a plate in her wrist, so I don't want to freak her out. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I liked the ďWest Sedona TourĒ from the Mountain Bike Project - no confusion about where to go - just download the trail and ride it. Itís an easy cruise but if it leaves your group wanting more go ride Mescal when youíre done or take a few of the trails you missed on the loop.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by azflats View Post
    We are going to be out on the West side of Sedona next week. Is Dry Creek dry, or is it running? Got major rain in the Valley and New River is running. I read there were changes in trails on the west side and remember Girdner (I think) crossed the creek a few time. Has always been dry except once. Excited to see the changes. Been a while since we rode out from the Cultural Center. Taking wife and she is getting over a crash that put a plate in her wrist, so I don't want to freak her out. Thanks.
    Az in the last two months there have been significant changes to the trail system in the Dry Creek West Sedona area. Due to a very wet March Dry Creek Wash has been flowing pretty significantly. It seems like the flow of Dry Creek is starting to deminish to the point that it is crossable to get your feet significantly soaked.

The only mapping tool of Sedona trails that is up to date is Trailforks.

IPA tester
    Chuckwagon -> Mescal -> Aerie (half) -> Cockscomb -> Aerie (western half) -> Cockscomb -> Dawa -> Anaconda. Pretty fun casual xc figure 8 loop.
    evdog and others- I did that loop with a little bit of extra credit tossed in and ended by Climbing up Anaconda. That climb was late in the very hot ride and it kicked my fat old butt. Is that the best/easier way back to the TH?
    Loved Mescal for sure
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    evdog and others- I did that loop with a little bit of extra credit tossed in and ended by Climbing up Anaconda. That climb was late in the very hot ride and it kicked my fat old butt. Is that the best/easier way back to the TH?
    Loved Mescal for sure
    Snake is the fastest and easiest climb up. With Dry Creek running there would be two creek crossings if you were at the bottom of Anaconda at the AZ Cypress intersection.

IPA tester
    Thanks! I kinda figured that but was hoping there was another route. Thinking back on that ride I feel it wasn't so much of a hard climb, just the fact I was spent before I started it and out of water. That beer at the end of the ride didn't have a chance

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    Thanks! I kinda figured that but was hoping there was another route. Thinking back on that ride I feel it wasn't so much of a hard climb, just the fact I was spent before I started it and out of water. That beer at the end of the ride didn't have a chance
    The rumor is that trail was constructed for lesser skilled riders who visit Sedona from California. On the east side it provides a nice initial warm up climb to a 360 view of the Dry Creek area. On the west side it provides a gentle climb with four short steep spots that suck when you have had a long day of riding.

You can see all the various landmarks from the high point: Lizardhead, Chimney Rock, Bell Rock, Schuerman, The High School, Mingus, Cockscomb, Bear Mt., Doe Mt,, Boynton Canyon, Secret Canyon, Thunder Mt. If you become familiar with all those landmarks it is impossible for a mountain biker to get lost in Sedona for more than an hour.