Sedona Loop - How Does This Sound?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Sedona Loop - How Does This Sound?

Been reading tons of posts and studying the maps....I think I have a good plan But like all plans on paper, they may suck when practiced.

Let's begin with the end, Oak Creek Brewery, 336 State Route 179.

How does this sound:
    Huckaby Parking Lot to Munds Wagon Trail to Cow Pies to Damifino Saddle to Hangover to Munds Wagon Wheel to Huckaby Parking Lot

Then ride south to Pine Court to Mystic to Hogalicious to Hog Wash to Hog Heaven to Mystic to Chaplel Road to Chapel Trail to Little Horse to Chicken Point to Broken Arrow to High on the Hog to Hog Heaven to Hog Wash to Cemetery to Pine Court.

Then, back on 179 and head north to the beer/car.

How many hours would you expect this ride to take for an average shape guy?

I am targeting 5-6 hours.

Thanks for the assistance.
    You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding - KRob

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsoul
    Been reading tons of posts and studying the maps....I think I have a good plan But like all plans on paper, they may suck when practiced.

Let's begin with the end, Oak Creek Brewery, S336 State Route 179.

How does this sound:
    Huckaby Parking Lot to Munds Wagon Trail to Cow Pies to Damifino Saddle to Hangover to Munds Wagon Wheel to Huckaby Parking L
    Then ride south to Pine Court to Mystic to Hogalicious to Hog Wash to Hog Heaven to Mystic to Chaplel Road to Chapel Trail to Little Horse to Chicken Point to Broken Arrow to High on the Hog to Hog Heaven to Hog Wash to Cemetery to Pine Court.

Then, back on 179 and head north to the beer/car.

How many hours would you expect this ride to take for an average shape guy?

I am targeting 5-6 hours.

Thanks for the assistance.
    May the force be with you
    Good Luck

mtbr member
    That's a minimum of 4 or 5 hours, especially if you haven't ridden any of those trails and you either end up walking some of it, or poking around looking for trails.

Hogalicious is a bit hard to find and faded now that Pigtail is the trail of choice. I would climb pigtail and then jump on Hogalicous if you want to hit the bit of Hog Wash before connecting with Hog Heaven. Or just save yourself the time and go up Mystic and get your beat down on Chapel.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    That's a minimum of 4 or 5 hours, especially if you haven't ridden any of those trails and you either end up walking some of it, or poking around looking for trails.

Hogalicious is a bit hard to find and faded now that Pigtail is the trail of choice. I would climb pigtail and then jump on Hogalicous if you want to hit the bit of Hog Wash before connecting with Hog Heaven. Or just save yourself the time and go up Mystic and get your beat down on Chapel.
    Rockman, might this loop approach the seldom attainable 20 mile red rock epic?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elrancho66
    Rockman, might this loop approach the seldom attainable 20 mile red rock epic?
    Ahh so, starting and ending at the brewery. Now that TD is touching trail in another state perhaps Zul as the Ambassador in Waiting could speak up, but with the additional road riding that's going to be 20+ miles and 6-8 hours for most mortals.

If you still want my opinion as a red rock wannabe I would skip Mund's Wagon trail. That will save 30-60 min on the climb. You can also cut behind the Burger King instead of going up to the 2nd roundabout. That will save 5 min.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good plan to park in the Tlaquepaque parking lot next to the Brewery and conduct the ride from there. Save some energy and time if you ride up the road to cowpies. Going up Munds Wagon trail is fun but is a workout. That loop takes about 2 hours. The hogs,mystic, chapel, broken arrow loop takes about an hour thirty. Riding on 179 takes about quarter hour each direction. Throw in a couple of ten minute breaks and you have your ride.
    Personally I like riding the Hogs loop like a figure 8. Ride up broken arrow to high on the hog to hog heaven, to the top of pigtail. Ride down pigtail and back up mystic to chapel to little horse to broken arrow and onto high on the hog and then take the right onto hog wash, working back over to broken arrow and back onto morgan road to the brewpub. Have fun out there!
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member
    Ah, I had the wrong brewery. The original has more soul.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Biting off more than I can chew....quite possibly

The best part of this designed ride is that if I can only handle the north loop, the beer is still right there near the trailhead.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Using the road to climb is a huge plus - thanks Chalkpaw.

TrailDoc is ot of state? eek: I was hoping he would make the ride so he could push me up tuff climbs, carry extra water and have a flask for the post ride....but alas...just kiddin TD

"Seldom attainable" tells me this may be a 2 day affair.....which is just fine. I have a handful of days to explore the area.

From Mt Bike Heaven, what is the best map that travels well in a pack and covers West and East Sedona?

mtbr member
    Since you have more than one day you might want to savor HO rather than blasting it out in 2 hours. It is perhaps the most scenic ride in Sedona and can't be beat in the late afternoon/early evening light this time of year.

You can always poach Marg's Draw which is about the most senseless bit of wilderness trail in the entire US, but rather than spending the time on 179, I would swap Highline with HO and do a figure 8 type of ride. That's 3.5-5 hours depending on pace and you never have to touch pavement except for Chapel Rd or if you shortcut through the neighborhood.

Or you could start from the VOC and ride Lllama first to the Hogs and finish with HE and the Shadies. That's ~20 miles and again very little if any pavement. Lllama was closed for trail maintenance but might be open now.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The best part of this designed ride is that if I can only handle the north loop, the beer is still right there near the trailhead.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Using the road to climb is a huge plus - thanks Chalkpaw.

TrailDoc is ot of state? eek: I was hoping he would make the ride so he could push me up tuff climbs, carry extra water and have a flask for the post ride....but alas...just kiddin TD
    O
    "Seldom attainable" tells me this may be a 2 day affair.....which is just fine. I have a handful of days to explore the area.

From Mt Bike Heaven, what is the best map that travels well in a pack and covers West and East Sedona?
    I'm heading down to ride later this morning,attempting to string together a Lighthouse Special that Rockman will be proud of.If I can get the beta on the best tires and grips for today's conditions. Cosmic Ray sells a waterproof 2 sided map of the VOC/Sedona area but the trails you plan to ride are not on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elrancho66
    I'm heading down to ride later this morning,attempting to string together a Lighthouse Special that Rockman will be proud of.If I can get the beta on the best tires and grips for today's conditions. Cosmic Ray sells a waterproof 2 sided map of the VOC/Sedona area but the trails you plan to ride are not on it.
    Every man must stand alone, for I am a lighthouse---K. Grua. RIP.

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    More suggestions plus great weather: Start with Hangover and finish with a gut check. Some fit riders can do the Hangover loop in 90 minutes. Using the jeep road (Schnebly Hill Rd) saves time and energy which is a big plus. This should give you a chance to boost into another trail like the Hogs. YOU CAN DO IT!!

Best of luck, trails are in good shape right now.

I plan to ride at some point this weekend, either Sat and/or Sun with a definate all day Monday ride at 10am.

WHO IS IN FOR MONDAY?? Post up and we'll plan to do some photos ...
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I should have stated my ride schedule up front, sorry.

I will be in Flagstaff from 12/19-12/30. I will make day trips to Sedona, weather permitting. The week after XMas, I plan to hit Sedona 3 times at least.

I will focus on the east stuff as it seems to be the most popular. This is my first time to Sedona and plan to have my ass handed to me - and looking forward to it.

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I should have stated my ride schedule up front, sorry.

I will be in Flagstaff from 12/19-12/30. I will make day trips to Sedona, weather permitting. The week after XMas, I plan to hit Sedona 3 times at least.

I will focus on the east stuff as it seems to be the most popular. This is my first time to Sedona and plan to have my ass handed to me - and looking forward to it.

Cheers
    soul, did u arrive? have you been riding? conditions are sweet,red velcro the last few days

banned
    Looking forward to the ride report. Many of us ambassadors try our hardest to give new riders good intel. In return it is nice to get a ride report to either support our trail choices or let us know we don't know what we are talking about.

Has anyone tried the new Pete's trail yet? Gmooker is going to love that one.

TD

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    Has anyone tried the new Pete's trail yet?

TD
    Nope but will be out there X-Mas day for a week...PM me directions and I will give it a go!

TD, 8 of us will be at the Red Agave for the week if you are around I have a beer with your name on it if you stop by.

Dean

mtbr member
    Good to hear the conditions are still great in Sedona!
    I'll be making my first trip from NorCal from Dec 30th thru Jan 6th.
    I've been going over the sticky post as a guide, but wasn't sure if the best trails would be under snow. This ride sounds fun (especially the brewery at the end!)
    I'll be checking back on this forum looking for group rides.
    Rollin' rocks will never die...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    Looking forward to the ride report. Many of us ambassadors try our hardest to give new riders good intel. In return it is nice to get a ride report to either support our trail choices or let us know we don't know what we are talking about.

Has anyone tried the new Pete's trail yet? Gmooker is going to love that one.

TD
    Welcome back TD. I'm here for the week, so tell me more about Pete's? Wife loved Aerie/cockcomb/mescal loop over thanksgiving. Thanks again for all your hard work, even if you did dumb it all down for Gmooker.

mtbr member

how are the trails?

We'll be at the Red Agave this coming weekend, New Years. Will the trails be rideable with all the snow and such they are talking about? Appreciate any thoughts on this.
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

no sno

As of today, there is no snow, only sweet tacky trails

Members who have read this thread: 0