Sedona Llama help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Sedona Llama help

My wife and I were out on Llama trail(I think) and came to a wire fence on the trail. Is this the wilderness line one cannot cross, or is it safe to ride beyond the fence? We are heading up this weekend and just love the trail. Would like to go futher.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ssebranek View Post
    My wife and I were out on Llama trail(I think) and came to a wire fence on the trail. Is this the wilderness line one cannot cross, or is it safe to ride beyond the fence? We are heading up this weekend and just love the trail. Would like to go futher.
    Where was the fence? This map is of the legal trail. The Courthouse wilderness section is not shown.

TD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sedona Llama help-lama.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

My guess is you got onto Courthouse loop that goes

thru the wilderness . You took a turn and got off Llama.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    We were heading north trying to get to chicken point and beyond via little horse. It seamed like the trail went thru' the fence and continued on. I didn't think we were high enough to be in the wilderness zone, but didn't want to risk a fine. When we stopped at the fence it was almost like being in a forest. Most trees we seen on the ride. To top it off, on the return we saw a " bike patrol" person. In 20 yrs. Biking I have never seen a person like that.

Not too good with maps, but I don't think we made it to submarine yet. Are there signs when you get to the wilderness sections to warn you not to go on bike?

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Heading up Little Horse, you will cross thru a fence line. If this is the fence, you are nearly up to Chicken Point. Hopefully you make it up there, it is a nice view and break spot.

Also, Little Horse to Chicken Point would not include the Llama trail. All are good trails as is Submarine Rock.

So far as I know, the Bike Patrol is a good thing. Bike friendly rangers are good ... I guess?
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ssebranek View Post

1. To top it off, on the return we saw a " bike patrol" person. In 20 yrs. Biking I have never seen a person like that.

2. Not too good with maps, but I don't think we made it to submarine yet.

3. Are there signs when you get to the wilderness sections to warn you not to go on bike?
    1. Can you describe what kind of a person you saw?

2. Maybe you need to get better with maps because there is a lot of barbed wire out there and if you don't know where you were looking at the map I posted how are we going to know?

3. Usually, but not all trails are marked so there are non-system trails that go into the wilderness that may not be signed with a trail name or an information piece that you are entering the wilderness.

Around Sedona you usually will know when you are in the wilderness because the experience will be much different than when you are not in the wilderness. It's a similar feeling you get when you enter a Sedona vortex.

BE ADVISED since I have ZERO REP POWER not everything I say may be EXACTLY CORRECT.

TD

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    That sounds right, we started at bell rock area and llamed it until little horse (I think) and headed toward Chicke point. Never been back there from way we went. Just so jealous of you Red Rockers having such a nice place to bike. Always looking for a new good ride before I get too old to ride. We will try to cross the fence and see where in Oz we end up at!

Maybe it was a vortex that got me turned around. I think they make me fall too. Wife has the same problem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zul View Post
    Heading up Little Horse, you will cross thru a fence line. If this is the fence, you are nearly up to Chicken Point. Hopefully you make it up there, it is a nice view and break spot.

Also, Little Horse to Chicken Point would not include the Llama trail. All are good trails as is Submarine Rock.

So far as I know, the Bike Patrol is a good thing. Bike friendly rangers are good ... I guess?
    Bike patrol? That sounds kind of lame. So what if a couple riders are enjoying some devils salad out there and a "patrol" comes riding up? Are they cops or just helpers? I kind of like going into our forests to get away from it all and now we have patrols? I guess I'm stoked to be up here in Flag where a good 4 hour ride means running into virtually no one.

mtbr member
    Sounds odd. If you were close to a gate on the north end then yes that's the last bit to Chicken Point. But if you were on the south end and took a bit of slickrock left or the the southeast you could hit barb wire before the slight climb up to the 100 yd sliver of wilderness between Bell Rock and Mund's Mountain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zul View Post

It sounds like he was heading into the wilderness. Llama is pretty well marked, if you're paying attention to the signs you shouldn't get off course.

Llama will take you to Little Horse to go to chicken point if you want. It's a nice way to avoid bell rock highway...er pathway.

Bike Patrol is a good natured bunch of people. They're volunteers who provide directions, maps, first aid, water, etc. to whoever is out there. Don't be afraid of them, especially if you need directions.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Huffy Rider
    Bike Patrol: White shirts, big red cross = first aid trained, map toting, water/food carrying, direction giving, smiling, friendly people. I ride with many of them are they all really cool guys, very helpful and not lame at all.

Brenda

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    Bike Patrol: White shirts, big red cross = first aid trained, map toting, water/food carrying, direction giving, smiling, friendly people. I ride with many of them are they all really cool guys, very helpful and not lame at all.

Brenda
    They're red shirts w/ white crosses :P It cracks me up to see how people react to ski/bike/beach patrol people. They're usually good people that are just passionate about whatever their "patrolling". They're too often accused of being cops, or some sort of authoritarian group or just lame...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Huffy Rider
    Ya, I shouldn't post while under the influence! DUh!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    Ya, I shouldn't post while under the influence! DUh!
    Awww common...everybody does it!
    - Julie Furtado