mtbr member

Sedona Illegal Trail Building interview

not sure if you all saw this ?.... Im sure many of you have

mtbr member
    The guy doing the interview seems pretty knowledgeable of the issues from what I saw. Was back in 2013 though...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster View Post
    The guy doing the interview seems pretty knowledgeable of the issues from what I saw. Was back in 2013 though...
    It was mentioned that there was 50 miles of user created trails and that the FS was behind in providing new mountain biking trails for the 3,000,000 visitors coming to Sedona. I would say that the total number of mountain biker visitors is maybe around 75,000 each year, does anyone have a better estimate?

Currently th FS has adopted over 50 miles of user created mountain biking trails and 13 more miles are proposed to be adopted under the Western Gateway proposal in the next three years if $600,000 in funding is obtained.

We have heard rumors that another several miles of user created trails mountain bike trails may be adopted outside of the Western Gateway proposal. Mention has been made of Cakewalk and Transcept both of which are well thought out concepts.

Fortunately since 2013 the FS determined that the majority of the user created trails were built sustainably and NONE of them were routed on significant archeological sites.

Ironically some of the local Sedona citizenry is in an uproar about the recent Thunder Mt. reroute and decommissioning of the old unsustainable FS approved original Thunder Mt. trail. Some of the citizenry believe the new reroute is too difficult to hike for many of the locals and the old originally built fallline non-armored trail was perfectly fine. It sure is difficult to please everyone.

I like how the cryptobiodic soil was brought up in the interview, but no mention was made of the over 50 years of soil trampling that was done by thousands of grazing cattle all over the Coconino National Forest.

I can’t wait for the FS to build the seventeen miles of new Sedona mountain bike trail under the the Western Gateway proposal. Plumber Phil has got it all flagged and now someone needs to donate a bunch of money to make it happen. The free lunch days are over.

mtbr member
    Transcept is a go. It's part of the signed decision memo for the Western Gateway Project. Haven't heard boo on Catwalk but hope your right on that one. VVCC and REI are kicking down to build Western Gateway. What a country!

The .05 percent
    I was figuring we would see a blacked out screen with traildoc s identity hidden and voice all scrambled to keep his identity secret. What a disappointment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    I was figuring we would see a blacked out screen with traildoc s identity hidden and voice all scrambled to keep his identity secret. What a disappointment.
    Be cool if he was wrapped like a mummy in toilet paper...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Jon Nelson torchered, Billy Idol about building that jump trail through the insignificant archeological pieces of pottery shards. Mike O’Neal caught Billy tuning up one of the jumps on his day off.

I wouldn’t doubt that Billy would have invited some of the local Flagstaff experts down for an extreme jump session. I heard that the FS took a bulldozer in and mowed down the jumps to restore the fragile soil back to an unfragil state.

I wish they would flatten out the surrounding Sedona cliff faces to reduce the erosion potential there. Go Sedona World Class Mountain Biking!

IPA tester
    What a country

mtbr member
    Sedona Illegal Trail Building interview-untitled.jpg

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	1210906
    I feel like I just saw sasquatch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	1210906
    One has to wonder what Sedona mountain biking would be like today without the early pioneers who were passionate about our great sport?

Where would VOC Bike shops send the 5%’ers without Made in the Shade, Slim Shady, Hiline and Easy Breezy? Those riders would have to drive to West Sedona to ride the Narley Crew trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    One has to wonder what Sedona mountain biking would be like today without the early pioneers who didn't know when enough was enough and angered the powers that be?
    FIFY

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    FIFY

Tuck the creation of a World Class Mountain Bike Destination is no easy task when you have a landmanager that has other priorities. In such cases you have to invest a huge amount of effort into marketing, map making, recruiting, guiding, shuttling, free beer and volunteering.

It takes special people to pull it off and the friendships with those people is pretty special. I don’t think most people have a clue about the scrafices those special people made to put Sedona mountain biking on the world map of the places to check out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Tuck the creation of a World Class Mountain Bike Destination is no easy task when you have a landmanager that has other priorities. In such cases you have to invest a huge amount of effort into marketing, map making, recruiting, guiding, shuttling, free beer and volunteering.

It takes special people to pull it off and the friendships with those people is pretty special. I don’t think most people have a clue about the scrafices those special people made to put Sedona mountain biking on the world map of the places to check out.
    And herein lies the problem. You're stuck in the past. I didn't criticize your initial work. I criticized your inability to recognize a changing landscape and evolve with the times.

Meatbomb
    He is evolving... he'll be riding an E bike on the Bell Rock trail soon...

mtbr member
    I applaud your efforts SB2. I don't always agree with you but I also realize that Sedona wouldn't be anywhere near as awesome as it is without the work of you and those early rogue pioneers. Maybe you can make a list of all the trails you worked on back then so all your detractors can avoid them.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    And herein lies the problem. You're stuck in the past. I didn't criticize your initial work. I criticized your inability to recognize a changing landscape and evolve with the times.

Tuck what makes you think I am “stuck in the past”. I am a cheerleader for the FS in getting the 17 miles of new trail adoptions and the 17 miles of new trail constructed.

My hope is that they can get the public and businesses to pony up the $600,000 estimated to get the job done in the next three years. Until then I will continue to ride: Drano, Last Frontier, Western Civ and Ledge’n’Airy along with all the other great adopted user created trails like: Chuckwagon, Anaconda, Snake, Mescal, To Mescal, To Long Canyon, Special Ed, Pyramid, Bike Path, Sketch and Ramshead.

I am just happy those pioneers came up with those great concepts and they are part of the World Class Trail system, I get to ride everyday. What is amazing is that the FS also takes credit for those trails everyday.

Isn’t there some kind of new FS program to develop National Forests into key recreational areas and doesn’t Sedona fit right into that new program? One doesn’t have to be a rocket scientist to see why Sedona was picked to be part of that program.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Tuck what makes you think I am “stuck in the past”.
    I don't know John? Could it be that because every time someone criticizes rogue building you bring up the past?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I don't know John? Could it be that because every time someone criticizes rogue building you bring up the past?

Tuck the obvious reason for talking about the positive results of the popular Sedona user created trail system is that it put Sedona on the map as a World Class destination. The PROCESS history is different than other National Forests because of the relationship of Plumber Phil and the second in charge of the FS.

Due to that relationship many of PP’s user created trails were fast reacted in the adoption process due to the use of the Categorical Exclusion (CE). Most National Forests need to due a full blown NEPA which takes a lot of time and money to complete. Phil’s girlfriend figured how to get around the usual bureaucracy and moved the PROCESS forward at a break neck speed. 45 miles of trails were adopted in just a few years. Without the effort of the volunteer trail builders that would have NEVER happened.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I applaud your efforts SB2. I don't always agree with you but I also realize that Sedona wouldn't be anywhere near as awesome as it is without the work of you and those early rogue pioneers. Maybe you can make a list of all the trails you worked on back then so all your detractors can avoid them.
    Agreed!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Agreed!
    k2 and fiveo if we could get all the detractors to agree to not ride all the trails I have worked on I would gladly agree with that proposal. Since I built the majority of Aerie that could be the first one to start with. I also did a majority of the volunteer work on Chuckwagon and Mescal, so those two could be included.

I did major improvements to the Templeton trail along Oak Creek to allow riders to ride that section. For five years that section of trail was a hike-a-bike. I also did improvements to the Tea Cup trail to make that trail totally rideable. I was told to close the original alignment by the FS and I forgot to do that, so the 2%’ers could continue to ride the original alignment. As far as I can tell no one is riding the original line. So if you want to include those two trails, I think that is reasonable.

I wonder who will stop riding those trails?

Life's a ride, enjoy it! Moderator

I wonder who will stop riding those trails?

Everyone that has abandoned Sedona as an overcrowded, douchebag filled touron destination.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Everyone that has abandoned Sedona as an overcrowded, douchebag filled touron destination.
    lbb what is your go to place these days? I have to admit Sedona is becoming very busy with visitors the last two years. I assume it might have a negative affect on certain individuals who don’t know how to navigate the popular trails.

I live in West Sedona, so I am not affected by massive traffic issues on Hwy. 179. I usually ride in the Dry Creek area due to its massive trail system.

When I drive out Dry Creek road I can easily determine if I should ride Chuckwagon. I normally ride down Girdner or Two Fences if visitors are parking all over Dry Creek Rd.

From those two trails I have about twelve different loops I can access to have an excellent day of riding. If I see more than five other riders while doing those loops that would be uncommon.

It is too bad that everyone can’t enjoy riding Sedona like I do, but those days are over. I now live in a different reality which doesn’t include sharing with the masses.

mtbr member
    Whenever I visit Sedona, before I allow my tires to touch the sacred red dust, I scatter a bit of chainlube and tire sealant to the Four Directions. Then I say a prayer of thanks to the Kachina of the Trails (and Pit Toilets), Tra-IL Dac. Some say he will return on a bike powered by bolts of lightning. Others say he never left.
    Last edited by veloborealis; 08-06-2018 at 07:55 PM.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    I now live in a different reality...
    Been telling you that for years, Switch.
    Veni vidi velo!

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    +1.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Whenever I visit Sedona, before I allow my tires to touch the sacred red dust, I scatter a bit of chainlube and tire sealant to the Four Directions. Then I say a prayer of thanks to the Kachina of the Trails (and Pit Toilets), Tra-IL Dac. Some say he will return on a bike powered by bolts of lightening. Others say he never left.
    V that is the nicest thing you have ever said about the legendary TD. Whoever rides in Sedona will probably ride on tread that he has in someway had a positive affect on.

I am sure TD appreciates your kind words. He is actually on an extended vacation learning how to kiteboard in Aruba. If you have ever kiteboarded in Aruba you know it is not an easy place to learn
    kiteboarding.

If you get a chance say a prayer for him to help him learn how to go upwind to the place he launched at.

mtbr member
    V that is the nicest thing you have ever said about the legendary TD. Whoever rides in Sedona will probably ride on tread that he has in someway had a positive affect on.

I am sure TD appreciates your kind words. He is actually on an extended vacation learning how to kiteboard in Aruba. If you have ever kiteboarded in Aruba you know it is not an easy place to learn
    kiteboarding.

If you get a chance say a prayer for him to help him learn how to go upwind to the place he launched at.
    It is written, Tra-IL Dac controls the winds. Or maybe, he is longwinded. Depends on the translation.
    Veni vidi velo!

Meatbomb

kiteboarding.

Truly a legend in your own mind.

Life's a ride, enjoy it! Moderator

kiteboarding.

Here's legacy for you;

https://www.redrocknews.com/news/888...rom-the-forest

And posting about yourself in third person is just sick.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    More lies by the Red Rock News and the USFS. I was cited for doing a 15 minute trail improvement on the Tea Cup trail. Secondly I was out of the forest for six months, so I packed up my motor home and went on a six month mountain biking vacation. I also worked in the Rainbow Rim trail to extend it another two miles. I think when Jon six shooter Nelson found out about that project he did several back flips. What a Country!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    More lies by the Red Rock News and the USFS. I was cited for doing a 15 minute trail improvement on the Tea Cup trail. Secondly I was out of the forest for six months, so I packed up my motor home and went on a six months mountain biking vacation. What a Country!
    And Al Capone was convicted of income tax evasion. Sometimes one's actions make them a target for whatever will stick.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    More lies by the Red Rock News and the USFS. I was cited for doing a 15 minute trail improvement on the Tea Cup trail. Secondly I was out of the forest for six months, so I packed up my motor home and went on a six month mountain biking vacation. I also worked in the Rainbow Rim trail to extend it another two miles. I think when Jon six shooter Nelson found out about that project he did several back flips. What a Country!
    What are the lies by the Red Rock News and the USFS?

Meatbomb
    Time to learn how to kite surf in Aruba....

The .05 percent

kiteboarding.

Something about this stinks. I heard TD found his way to an assisted living facility in Cornville, something about discovering his love for creamed corn. I think I may have seen him on one of those segway tours checking out the local vortex tours and making stair step sections of the red rock bypass segway friendly. What a country!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Something about this stinks. I heard TD found his way to an assisted living facility in Cornville, something about discovering his love for creamed corn. I think I may have seen him on one of those segway tours checking out the local vortex tours and making stair step sections of the red rock bypass segway friendly. What a country!
    Sin I understand TD is getting close to checking into an assisted living facility. Today he was kitesurfing in Aruba in offshore wind conditions with a 10M sail in 25 + mph winds.

He was feeling way over powered, but it’s kind of like mountain biking on the edge of your skill level. Sometimes you just have to trust your body and brain to bring you through the experience without a terrible result.

Anyway he does like corn but mainly microwaved one minute with a wet wraped layer of paper towel around it. I am sure as his teeth fall out creamed corn will supplement for the microwaved version.

Go Sinatorj!

IPA tester
    3rd person writing is just plain creepy.
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Those user-created trails are impacting the environment. What is worse?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sedona Illegal Trail Building interview-2165b0b7-fde9-4af7-8eb9-f5be6ee30616.jpg  

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    3rd person writing is just plain creepy.
    But expected from some people.

banned
    Mar 2018
    Has anyone ever smoked DMT in a vortex?

Asking for a friend..

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Comeatmebro View Post
    Has anyone ever smoked DMT in a vortex?

Asking for a friend..
    I think you have to smoke DMT to find a vortex.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    OK TD asked me to check in and find out how much new trail has been built in Arizona the last two weeks that he has been down in Aruba honing his kiteboarding skills. You never know when you might need to leave Sedona for an extended period of time and do something different than mountain biking. As many of you probably know kiteboarding is as exciting as mountain biking. On TD’s trip he met a BUNCH of new friends during his two week hiatus. One of his favorite new friends is Armando. He owns one of the kiteboarding businesses in Aruba. He is a total capitalist, excellent salesman and great dad. What a Country!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sedona Illegal Trail Building interview-f229c590-47ca-4761-8f96-2d9802755adc.jpg  

Meatbomb
    You are a strange individual.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    You are a strange individual.
    He's a banned individual...

mtbr member
    #MAGA

Make Aruba Great Again