Sedona Hiline and Slim Shady Trail **New Video** mtbnomad.com- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sedona Hiline and Slim Shady Trail **New Video** mtbnomad.com

mtbnomad-MTB Trail Videos for the southwest US

Link above has the video for our June 2015 Sedona trip, video includes footage of Slim Shady and my new favorite trail...Hiline Trail. Enjoy!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Nice vid. Thanks.

I was thinking "this guy is fast," until I noticed it was sped up video.

mtbr member
    It's not sped up but it looks faster to me on video always than it feels riding... I do not speed up any of the videos that I put on the website. At least not on purpose , haha. I do occasionally slow it down and certain scenes for a effect but that's about all I do .

mtbr member
    Very nice,.... love those trails We do an October run! Thanks for the posting!

mtbr member
    Thx Ram-On!!

dirt visionary
    glad you enjoyed ! Highline is a definitely a fun trail . But IMO your video is very hard to watch . Are you using a gopro? If so what are you doing in the editing ? Very reminiscent of the old 520 bullet cams
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Lol. Not sure what a bullet cam video looks like, but it doesn't sound good. Yes GoPro. Editing, I don't a thing to the actual riding scenes but change the start and stop points of each clip, and the transitions, blending clips together . I always use 1080p 48fps wide angle. All my videos are done in these settings, a personal preference. This was my first video done with this new software. Maybe it appears different on different devices. Idk. I will investigate. Thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPivot429 View Post
    Lol. Not sure what a bullet cam video looks like, but it doesn't sound good. Yes GoPro. Editing, I don't a thing to the actual riding scenes but change the start and stop points of each clip, and the transitions, blending clips together . I always use 1080p 48fps wide angle. All my videos are done in these settings, a personal preference. This was my first video done with this new software. Maybe it appears different on different devices. Idk. I will investigate. Thanks for the heads up.
    It's the handlebar mount. I've run into that problem too. Using a helmet mount will make it easier to watch, you keep your head much more still than your handlebars are.

Meatbomb
    I find the chest mount to be the best as far as the angle of the video and the movement of the camera.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CridgeMTBT View Post
    It's the handlebar mount. I've run into that problem too. Using a helmet mount will make it easier to watch, you keep your head much more still than your handlebars are.
    I guess it depends on the mount. I have a helmet mounted Contour and could barely watch the movies. Their mounts aren't as available as the GoPro ones. I needed a motion sickness pill to watch my videos just from the shaking. Had my helmet so tight, thought I'd lose circulation to my scalp.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

mtbr member
    I personally found the helmet cam annoying while riding. I dont know, maybe my helmet was a bit loose or something, it sure seemed distracting to me. The reason I favor the handlebar mount is because I just a button and go, forgetting its even on. But I hear you, the video can be annoying to watch. I found its a little better at the higher FPS settings.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I like seeing the video of the trails too but would also like to add the input that the scissoring transitions were very distracting. Keep up the good work, I'll be looking forward to seeing the next one.

mtbr member
    aggrochooks, thanks for the input. Trail 100 video is next up, I will definitely keep that in mind!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Nice! I'll be looking for it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I find the chest mount to be the best as far as the angle of the video and the movement of the camera.
    I have too but the angle can be difficult. If the trail you are filming has steeps I have used an extension on the chest mount to get the camera out a little more so it can be tilted back farther. On slower terrain where your back is more upright tho it works great. I like how you also see the handlebars and both arms, it make you feel like you are really riding when watching the footage. It's the only mount I will use for skiing, everything else just hasn't worked for me.

Always in the wrong gear
    Great stoke. Never go wrong watching someone shred the red rocks! HiLine is an awesome trail. definitely in my top 3 rides in Sedona.
    A mix of good and not-so-good for me. First: The clarity is good. really dig that. So many videos get compressed and grainy. I didn't actually mind the transitions, but some of them were a little close together and got distracting.
    For me the 2 big things were the slightly fish-eye wide angle ( I can get over that) and the handlebar mount.
    I don't film my rides so I'm not truly qualified to dole out advice, but I found myself getting ever so slightly motion sick, particularly when I saw the line I take coming, and you did something different. My brain expected a lean, or whatever, and it maybe didn't happen.

Still still a good watch.

mtbr member
    Thanks again I love the input!! This is how you get better...

mtbr member
    Arandombike, it was my first time there, looking back through all the video I found myself saying the same thing about some of my lines...

Captain Calico Jack
    I will say, I agree on this one, the scissor transition is distracting, fade in fade out is always the smoothest also I like taking go pro footage on the chesty mount or the helmet. I have found with shooting go pro you need something static in the picture preferably the foreground to make it look the best. Whether this be the brim of a visor on the helmet mount or your top tube and bars on the chesty mount. Go pro footage always looks better with something in the fore ground.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    A suggestion for the handlebar mount is to tilt it down until you just get the top of your front tire in the frame. You will get more of the "feel" of the trail that way but less views. It is a subtle difference but give it a try.

Bobo

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Just don't use a selfie stick while descending technical terrain... That could be messy!

Great video by the way...

mtbr member
    WJ, what are you doing in an AZ thread? haha. You should be out running another 150 miles then jumping on the bike for cool down 50 miler...

mtbr member
    I needed a motion sickness pill to watch my videos just from the shaking. Had my helmet so tight, thought I'd lose circulation to my scalp.
    funny stuff. You AZ guys are great at giving input btw. I have spent the last 15 years in San Diego, but am moving back to AZ, Tempe area! Pretty pumped about the trails out there in AZ. Any of you on Strava, if so shoot me your ID if you don't mind. I would like to start seeing some of your rides out there, prep a little before I get back out there for good. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    funny stuff. You AZ guys are great at giving input btw. I have spent the last 15 years in San Diego, but am moving back to AZ, Tempe area! Pretty pumped about the trails out there in AZ. Any of you on Strava, if so shoot me your ID if you don't mind. I would like to start seeing some of your rides out there, prep a little before I get back out there for good. Thanks.
    Not on Strava, sorry, happy with my d!ck.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Not sure what that means, but glad to hear it!

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    I have too but the angle can be difficult. If the trail you are filming has steeps I have used an extension on the chest mount to get the camera out a little more so it can be tilted back farther. On slower terrain where your back is more upright tho it works great. I like how you also see the handlebars and both arms, it make you feel like you are really riding when watching the footage. It's the only mount I will use for skiing, everything else just hasn't worked for me.
    The best way I've gotten the "chesty" to work is to set it to film upside down and mount it upside down. I've found that this really helps clean up the angle issues.
    Cholla cactus=nature's guard rail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dawg Catcher View Post
    I will say, I agree on this one, the scissor transition is distracting, fade in fade out is always the smoothest also I like taking go pro footage on the chesty mount or the helmet. I have found with shooting go pro you need something static in the picture preferably the foreground to make it look the best. Whether this be the brim of a visor on the helmet mount or your top tube and bars on the chesty mount. Go pro footage always looks better with something in the fore ground.
    Dawg, I agree with you, and never really thought about the static frame of reference. I am going to buy a chesty mount now and give that a try. Thanks bro.

Captain Calico Jack
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardluckhero View Post
    The best way I've gotten the "chesty" to work is to set it to film upside down and mount it upside down. I've found that this really helps clean up the angle issues.
    Yes this is a must.

mtbr member
    Not sure what that means, but glad to hear it!
    Don't worry about that troll (Whlr), he consistently has nothing to add to every thread

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    glad you enjoyed ! Highline is a definitely a fun trail . But IMO your video is very hard to watch . Are you using a gopro? If so what are you doing in the editing ? Very reminiscent of the old 520 bullet cams
    This was my first video done with this new software. Maybe it appears different on different devices. Idk. I will investigate. Thanks for the heads up.
    What I see that's distracting is a kind of ghosting of the image at times. Is this new software Sony Vegas Movie Studio? If so, you need to right click on your video on the timeline, select Switches, and Disable Resample. It defaults to Smart Resample which causes that ghosting.

Quote Originally Posted by CridgeMTBT View Post
    It's the handlebar mount...
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    A suggestion for the handlebar mount ...
    The problem with the handlebar and helmet mounts is that they don't show you WHAT's going on. For me, in order to get a feel for what's happening I need to see the bars and everything happening. Otherwise, it all just looks like buff single track. Third person is the best but it's a lot of work so it's usually the Chesty mount for me.

The only person that has the helmet mount down so that it's watchable is clockwork. His is on a full face helmet and gives a very similar view to the chesty.

bigmike on Strava. I'm slow as sh|t but I like riding the chunk. No boring, flat, 50 mile trails for me Check out my vimeo link below. I've got video of just about every trail I've ridden although I don't tape much any more due to lack of time to edit.

MEGALOMANIAC
    GoPro=chesty mount. There is no there way to do it. Best height, best angle, smooth recording.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    This is funny to me. Just the other day I was thinking that your repeatedly angry posts are telling us of a different story.

mtbr member
    This is funny to me. Just the other day I was thinking that your repeatedly angry posts are telling us of a different story.
    LOL. I thought it was funny as well. I asked about Strava because here in San Diego I have found about 60% of the trails I ride through Strava, following others I am able to discover new trails. But I am glad that guy is definitely pleased with his pen!s.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    LOL. I thought it was funny as well. I asked about Strava because here in San Diego I have found about 60% of the trails I ride through Strava, following others I am able to discover new trails. But I am glad that guy is definitely pleased with his pen!s.
    I refer to it as d!ck, c0ck, or it. Penis is too clinical and reeks of some underlying shame; that's language reserved for strava people.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

No Clue Crew
    I asked about Strava because here in San Diego I have found about 60% of the trails I ride through Strava, following others I am able to discover new trails.
    That's one of the ways I use it. I follow people more so that I can see WHERE they are riding and HOW they are riding the trails. It's easy to say go ride trail #XX. I almost always will ride any unknown trail the HARD way the first time and seeing a route helps immensely.

I'll never be as quick as 95% of those on Strava but it's good to keep track of my own progress as well. Even though there rarely is any. Not if pedaling is involved, that is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    What are you editing with? I'm using the 2009 Imovie and I'm not sure how to flip the footage on there.

No Clue Crew
    What are you editing with? I'm using the 2009 Imovie and I'm not sure how to flip the footage on there.
    You set the GoPro up to record upside down. This way when you download the video it's right side up. No need to flip. Unless you forget like I do once in a while...

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    You set the GoPro up to record upside down. This way when you download the video it's right side up. No need to flip. Unless you forget like I do once in a while...
    ^ What Mike Said.
    Yep, as cool as flying inverted may be, there won't be a staggering draw to watch video that way. The setting is easy to find, although I have about 25 miles of BCT inverted. I use Movie Maker and it allows to you to flip the video as well but its easier to adjust the GoPro setting.
    Cholla cactus=nature's guard rail.