Sedona GPS Trail Info- Mtbr.com
    banned

Sedona GPS Trail Info

I am in the process of trying to develope a Sedona map for mountain bikers to use while trying to fiqure out the Sedona trail system.

Since so many of better mountain biking trails are non-system trails getting accurite trail intel is difficult. My self and other riders have been providing GPS tracks on Everytrail.com so I have been able to access that intel to try and develop my own map to share with others.

Other riders have provided maps, but I don't think they are willing to share the GPS files that they obtained from their own rides to help develop a more complete map and share the files with other riders.

At this point I have intel on over twenty trails, but need more to complete the project. At this point I need: Chuck Wagon, Secret Trails including Ant Hill and Jordan, Jim Thompson, Huckaby, Bike Path, Caroll Canyon, Baldwin, Turkey Creek, Two Fences, etc.

If you know a source to obtain this trail intel I would appreciate it.

Thanks in Advance,

TD

banned
    Ok, thanks to everyone who contributed to my GPS project of making a more complete map of all Sedona mountain biking trails. I will say whoever put the Trailfu.com website together provided 90% of the system trail beta I needed. I don't know who the person was that did all the Sedona intel, but it was definitely the key to getting my project to its current state. It is amazing as to the amount of time the person has put into that wedsite with so little response from the public. I have spent at least 25 hours importing and modifying each file, so I can appreciate the process when you don't have much of a clue as to what you ar doing.

I have about 108 trails incorporated in the Google Earth Map, so it's short about 15 of the other trails I want to include (Chuck Wagon, Easy Rider, Christmas Wash, Made in the Shade, Slim Shady, Rabbit Ears, Ant Hill, Missing in Action, Cedar Ridge, High Homie, Bike Path, Herkenham, Pot Farm, etc.

The picture is of the Google Earth shot of the trails and if anyone wants the gpx file let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sedona GPS Trail Info-sedona-trail-map-1-26-11.jpg  

Got a suspension fork
    awesome tip on www.TrailFu.com thanks!
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    If we could only connect broken arrow to schnebly without riding Hwy 179, we'd have the circle complete. Marg's is off limits. Anything else come to mind?

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Doc - Could you provide 2 Google Earth snap shots?

1. Trails avail 5 years ago.
    2. Then add on the newer trails avail now.

It's amazing any local riders are still speaking to you. This is bold project.
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexit
    If we could only connect broken arrow to schnebly without riding Hwy 179, we'd have the circle complete. Marg's is off limits. Anything else come to mind?
    pexit:

Apexit:

My idea is to make Marges Draw the wilderness boundary then just build a new trail to the west of it by 10'. I have only been on the trail once and that was about 10 years ago so I don't know if that would work.

TD

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zul
    Doc - Could you provide 2 Google Earth snap shots?

1. Trails avail 5 years ago.
    2. Then add on the newer trails avail now.

It's amazing any local riders are still speaking to you. This is bold project.
    zul:

I went out for my longest ride of the New Year today. Now that I weigh 20+ lbs. less I decided to check out an old trail I built around 1998. Sorry I don't have any old Google Earth maps to compare the recent one with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sedona GPS Trail Info-first-big-ride.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images     

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Wow. That's impressive. They'll write songs about you when your dead. In the mean time, we're expecting at least 30 miles of new single track before you kick off.

Good to see you on the bike so soon.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zul
    Wow. That's impressive. They'll write songs about you when your dead. In the mean time, we're expecting at least 30 miles of new single track before you kick off.

Good to see you on the bike so soon.
    zul:

When you get older the goals change somewhat. Fortunately in Sedona we have a wonderful trail system, which hopefully will be adopted before people start writing any songs. If I can help with that project that would be nice. Also I think spending time on those trail improvements is a worthwhile cause.

TD

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    zul:

When you get older the goals change somewhat. Fortunately in Sedona we have a wonderful trail system, which hopefully will be adopted before people start writing any songs. If I can help with that project that would be nice. Also I think spending time on those trail improvements is a worthwhile cause.

TD
    Budda Beach yesterday, I ran into some riders from CA talking about the hike-a-bike section and they commented about how great it was that they could ride it now.

Rewarding and worthwhile.

PS - I still hate that f*u#@ing root.

mtbr member
    pexit:

Apexit:

My idea is to make Marges Draw the wilderness boundary then just build a new trail to the west of it by 10'. I have only been on the trail once and that was about 10 years ago so I don't know if that would work.

TD
    Thats my kind of thinking. Better yet, make the wilderness boundary in the middle of Margs and we can ride on the West 12"-16" of the trail, that way you won't have to build another trail for us.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexit
    Thats my kind of thinking. Better yet, make the wilderness boundary in the middle of Margs and we can ride on the West 12"-16" of the trail, that way you won't have to build another trail for us.
    Apexit:

I agree with your idea, but the eco nutsies would never agree with you. Getting a new trail to the west side would be a worthy miracle, and I would be happy to help make it happen.

TD

mtbr member
    Apexit:

I agree with your idea, but the eco nutsies would never agree with you. Getting a new trail to the west side would be a worthy miracle, and I would be happy to help make it happen.

TD
    Worthy indeed. Marg's Draw is the lamest bit of trail that has wilderness designation anywhere. I suspect the FS agrees with that opinion but any attempt to change the boundary there or say over the saddle between Lllama and Big Loop would be met with immediate lawsuits by the Sierra Club and others.

There might be some room between Marg's Draw and the residential area. The boundary is about in the middle. Of course, then the residents will file a lawsuit or injunction because they won't want a trail in their backyard.
    Last edited by rockman; 01-27-2011 at 03:51 PM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    Worthy indeed. Marg's Draw is the lamest bit of trail that has wilderness designation anywhere. I suspect the FS agrees with that assessement but any attempt to change the boundary there or say over the saddle between Lllama and Big Loop would be met with immediate lawsuits by the Sierra Club and others.

There might be some room between Marg's Draw and the residential area. The boundary is about in the middle. Of course, then the residents will file a lawsuit or injunction because they won't want a trail in their backyard.
    Rock:

Randy Boy seems to be on track with us and maybe he could help with getting this project started. It would be a great way of him helping the mountain biking commuity obtain a badly needed connector. He seems to know what he is talking about, but honestly I could be wrong, but I think he is a bigger talker rather than actually a person who can get a trail built.

TD

mtbr member
    TD: I'd love to have that gpx if you wouldn't mind sharing your compilation

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Good ol Marg's Draw,...

Marg's is obviously a terrific connector to Broken Arrow. Fun and fast going to BA area. So little traffic during the week--I never cruise it on the wkends.
    How about a MTB trail on the east side of it all the way to the N.E. side Submarine Rock? Maybe catch a wash for a good bit of it.? (Is the Wilderness Boundary too close)? I'll do a little recon next time I'm out that way.
    Glad you're up and at 'em TD. See you on the trails.
    MK

mtbr member
    TD, How can I get that GPX file you have compiled. I am planning a few trips to Sedona in this spring and would love to ride some new intermediate trails.
    Thanks.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by daniyarm
    TD, How can I get that GPX file you have compiled. I am planning a few trips to Sedona in this spring and would love to ride some new intermediate trails.
    Thanks.
    For intermediate trails ride Aerie/Mescal and Lama. Since my file has Color Cove in it I am holding back on giving out anymore info until the Red Rock News article is done.

Keep tuned to Everytrail.com and search Sedona, traildoc.

TD

Members who have read this thread: 0