Sedona first timer Q for the locals....which bike to take?- Mtbr.com
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Sedona first timer Q for the locals....which bike to take?

going to be down for a week of riding, and i'm still debating on what bike to take. Most of the group going has been, and are telling me to bring the larger bike. sounds like most of the climbing is not a problem if i take the big bike; true? (it climbs well, just slower) just don't want to be wishing i'd brought "the other bike" halfway through the trip.

beefy steel freerid-ey hardtail with a 140mm fork, and room for up to 2.7" tires front and rear, plenty of seatpost to drop waaaay down when needed?

or

7" x 7" full squish, again with plenty of fat tire and seat drop ability. but about 12# more weight to lug around all week long. fork is a boxxer ride, able to be dropped down to a bit over 5" for climbing.

leaning towards the big bike, with some medium tires. i'm at the mercy of the group for what we'll ride, as it'll all be new to me; they've been down there a few times, and have some good local beta as i understand it.

thanks for any input.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

I am Doctor Remulak
    Both bikes would work pretty well in Sedona, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. I've ridden there on a SS and a XC bike and had a great time regardless of the bike.

Elitest thrill junkie
    There are no real downhills in sedona, so the longest you'll ever really be going downhill is about a minute to 30 seconds. There's only 400' of vertical or so before the wilderness area starts above the town. This means there's lots of ups and downs, but no big ups and downs. This kills you on a "big" bike. There's a couple places to go session drops, but that's not really rding from one place to another.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004

Big travel unnecessary

Unless you want to play on Submarine rock or out on Cathedrel... a cross country bike/ 4-5" travel with 2.35" tires will suffice.

EDR
    I agree a big hit bike is way overkill. I've only used my 4inch xc bike, it's plenty but my new 575 would be perfect. But i'm sure you can ride any bike you want and be ok, if your used to moving all that weight around, up and down, up and down all week long.

Saucy Size
    A freeride hardtail sounds darned near perfect, unless you like taking tall dropoffs to flat and your hardtail skillz are a little rusty.

Sedona is what you make of it. I've ridden a rigid SS, a hardtail, an XC FS, an all-mountain and a freeride-y bike up there and had great, but very different, experiences with all of them.

Bring a camera!

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

caninus xerophilous
    As had been said, just about any bike can serve up a fabulous time in Sedona, just depneds on what a fabulous time is for you and your riding group. Maybe you should check with the folks your riding with.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDog
    . Maybe you should check with the folks your riding with.
    oh, i already have. they are the ones that have me nearly convinced to bring the big bike. it's not really a big hit/downhill bike. bullit single pivot clone, 6-7" rear, 7" front that can be dialed down to 5" for climbing. it comes in at 37 pounds, so isn't too bad.

decisions, decisions. i ride the hardtail 2/3 of the time. it's appealing to take the big bike just because of that, for a change. and, it'll only make me stronger, right?

thanks everyone, for the suggestions.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Members who have read this thread: 0