Sedona first timer...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sedona first timer...

Planning to fly down to AZ on Sunday. Sedona looks like a cool place to ride. I'm looking for some "insider" information.

Is there enough there (trails and activities) to keep busy for 4 or 5 days?

Can I get around the town on a bike? I avoid renting a car on vacation when feasible.

I'd rather not ride by myself the entire time. Are there regular group rides? Are any of the tour companies worth hooking up with?

Any groovy blues, jazz and/or nu rock clubs?

Any preferred places to rent a bike?

Thanks!

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by boudy
    Planning to fly down to AZ on Sunday. Sedona looks like a cool place to ride. I'm looking for some "insider" information.

Is there enough there (trails and activities) to keep busy for 4 or 5 days?

Can I get around the town on a bike? I avoid renting a car on vacation when feasible.

I'd rather not ride by myself the entire time. Are there regular group rides? Are any of the tour companies worth hooking up with?

Any groovy blues, jazz and/or nu rock clubs?

Any preferred places to rent a bike?

Thanks!
    Go to Bike and Bean for a map and the local beta. They are super nice and on the outside of town. You might want to make a trip to Prescott to keep you busy and switch up the singletrack. I will PM you a map of Sedona.

Tucson, AZ
    Bike&Bean in Sedona @ 6020 Highway 179 Sedona, AZ 86351
    (928-284-0210, http://www.bike-bean.com/links.htm)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    You're going to need a car.. There is a lot of separation between points of interest (sights, food, accommodations, and trail heads) in Sedona proper. Also the roads in and around Sedona don't have any shoulder to speak of and lots of tourist traffic. Very scary to ride on!

Not to mention the drive up Oak creek Canyon is really nice! Take it all the way into Flagstaff for a ride there too. Plenty of riding to span a hardcore week and never any boredom!

Pivotal figure
    I believe Bike & Bean and Mtn Bike Heaven both do group rides. If you go to Mtn Bike Heaven you can also take a short ride over to Oak Creek Brewing, highly recommended.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Wait, what!?
    Absolute Bikes, right accross from B&B might do group rides too I think their store in Flag does, so I would imagine they do as well.

As for the music venues, I cant speak of any in Sedona.

Another Broken Spoke
    Honestly, I think if you were in a very central location as far as hotel goes, you could just ride out each day from there...but it would be critical to be in a central spot. If 30+ mile epic rides are your thing, then you can have a great deal of fun in Sedona for at least 3 riding days.

Getting to Sedona, without a rental car, would be the thing, since its 90 miles or so from the airport.

Old Fart at Play

Old Fart at Play
    Red Canyon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Old Fart at Play
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbelt
    Getting to Sedona, without a rental car, would be the thing, since its 90 miles or so from the airport.
    There are shuttles from Sky Harbor (Phoenix airport) to Sedona. Getting around by bike should be no problem.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of the info.

It looks like there is plenty of riding to be had in that area, I just don't want to be bored out of my skull when I'm off the bike...

Members who have read this thread: 0