DHMTBR.com

Sedona - End of May?

My wife and I will be in Sedona at the end of May for a week and I am looking for a place to stay, trails to MTB and routes for Cross.

We will be poking around the Phoenix area as well.

She's good for 5-600 ft of climbing in 10 miles and I'm good for 2k in 20+

We are from Colorado and used to rocky granite types of trails, flowy or technical - all good. Not looking for free riding or jumps, no ski park types - been there done that.

We are there to vacation, but also looking around the Phoenix area to possibly move there in 2017.

Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino

Yup, follow me on Google+
    https://plus.google.com/+ChrisSgaraglino
    Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino

Visit me at:
    My Life on Two Wheels

mtbr member
    Sedona is mostly what I call "in your face" riding, which is the kind of riding I like. You'll find yourself pointed up steep for short bursts, followed by pointed down steep for short drops, most often with tech features throughout. (E.g. Made in the Shade, Slim Shady, Broken Arrow, High on the Hog, etc) I don't know how aggressive you can get on a cross bike, but I can't imagine that many of the trails would be suitable for a cross bike. I show up with gobs of suspension, many gears, some armor, and a large can of whoop ass.

mtbr member
    I would not recommend a cross bike in Sedona. You can do a lot on good HT, but even then it can beat you up depending on your tolerance. I have ridden stuff there (all trails listed by Evil Patrick) on my 26" HT with no armor, but cross bike is a bridge too far. Also be warned Sedona at the end of May can get warm. It could be upper 80's for highs to high 90's. So rides are best done early AM and then sit by the pool in the afternoon when it gets warm.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

DHMTBR.com
    Sorry guys, I'll be more clear. While we will be in Sedona, I was thinking that the CX would be better suited down the hill near Mesa & Scottsdale.

Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino

Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino

Visit me at:
    My Life on Two Wheels

mtbr member
    Personally I don't see many cross bikes in the Phoenix. Road bikes, yes, Mtn bikes yes (HT or FS etc). Very few cross bikes. I have a road bike and a HT mountain bike. I see no need for cross bike unless I want commute on mix of paved roads and dirt canal paths. I can see getting a Rigid SS mountain bike, but not really a cross bike.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by csgaraglino View Post
    My wife and I will be in Sedona at the end of May for a week and I am looking for a place to stay, trails to MTB and routes for Cross.

We will be poking around the Phoenix area as well.

She's good for 5-600 ft of climbing in 10 miles and I'm good for 2k in 20+

We are from Colorado and used to rocky granite types of trails, flowy or technical - all good. Not looking for free riding or jumps, no ski park types - been there done that.

We are there to vacation, but also looking around the Phoenix area to possibly move there in 2017.

Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino

I've stayed at the Days Inn in Sedona a bunch of times and recently rented a small condo at Villas de Poco Diablo. Both were great. There are tons of accommodation in town. Go to your travel site of choice [I use kayak.com] and search.

There is riding in all parts of Sedona and the whole town is small for easy traversing to a trailhead of choice so where you stay is not super important.

Once you get to town head to The Fat Tire Bike Shop and chat with Dave. He'll give you the 411 on what trails to ride and he has maps. You can also use Trailforks on your phone to find your way around.

All of the system trails are well marked and easy to use.

For your lady you could start with Broken Arrow to Little Horse to Llama. If she's feeling tired head from there to the Bike and Bean for a coffee and you can go collect the car while she chills. If she's felling strong ride back up Bell Rock Pathway and Mystic to the trails head.

Chuckwagon would also be a good ride for her out in west sedona.

May will be warm so start early. Locals will point out good trails for shade at various parts of the day.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Check out VRBO dot com for lodging if you'd prefer a condo or private home over a hotel. The Red Agave Sedona Resort Red Agave is VERY popular with mountain bikers as it has *immediate* access to some great trails right from your patio. Sedona is generally pricier for lodging than most of the other places I ride so be prepared. I use VRBO for my lodging needs and found a decent deal on our last trip.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    PM sent

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I second the Red Agave. You should check out Two-Wheel Jones bike shop in Mesa. They host weekly 'cross rides and the owner Travis is very knowledgeable about cross riding around the Phoenix area.

DHMTBR.com
    Excellent information guys, thanks for the info!

Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino

Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino

Visit me at:
    My Life on Two Wheels