Sedona campsites- Mtbr.com
    Roy
    mtbr member

Sedona campsites

I'm in the preliminary planning stages of a Sedona road trip (from the Midwest) in late March/April. I wanted to tent camp and was wondering if anyone might have some recommendations based on location, hot water, and price?

viva la v-brakes!

I know everything about camping in Sedona

Since I've done camping trips in Sedona seven out of the past eight years I'm probably the worlds leading expert on camping in Sedona, other then say, everyone who works for the forest service down there.

First off, good choice. Most excellent place to ride, perfect time of year to ride there.

How big will your group size be? If you have a larger group (8 or more) then Chavez Crossing is friggen perfect. It's right on Oak Creek in the middle of everything, you can easily ride to all the trails. I think it's $35 a night for the whole group, not to shabby.

Another option for a smaller group might be Manzanita. It's about, oh 4 or 5 miles north of town on highway 89A so mostly still ridable distance to the trails, just get back to camp before dark, it's a busy highway. I think it's only $7 a night for a single camp site, 2 tents per site.

Here's the Forest service web site to learn more:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/rec..._redrock.shtml

Note that there isn't any hot water at these sites. We mostly bathed in the mostly clean, and totally friggen cold, Oak Creek.

If you NEED warm showers there is a privately owned RV park/campground in Uptown Sedona. I drive by it a couple times a week but I don't know what it's called. Not sure how much it costs but I think it's $20 to $25 a night to sleep amongst the motorhomes, not nearly as cool as the other sites. If you're interested in this place give me a shout back and I can check it out sometime next week when I'm down there riding.

Often when we were in need of warm showers my crew would sneek into this campground's shower facilities. You used to be able to pay them $2.50 for a shower, but I think they stopped doing that, so we just sneek in a couple times a week when we can't stand the ice cold Oak Creek any longer.

Just a little further west on 89A (6-8 miles from downtown) you can camp for free on the national forest. This isn't too bad an option really, I did it for five or six trips at various sites, the only problem is you don't have access to water, so you need to head to the Circle-K or something to fill up jugs of water, but hey, it's free. Ask at the ranger station where camping is allowed, they have restrictions in the immediate are around Sedona.

One last note. These places fill up fast on the weekends of if you can make reservations or get thier early.

Where are you from in the midwest? I started visiting Sedona as part of spring break when I was at U of I (Illinois).
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

Roy
    mtbr member

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the feedback. I sent you a PM with info so take a look. If you could find out more about the private campsite with showers (name/number) that would be great. Also, any trail "musts" for South Mountain/Sedona/Flagstaff would be great as well (I'll create a new thread to get everyone else's input as well).
    Looks like we'll be down there from 4/2-4/7 so if you (or anyone else) are available for riding, I'd love to hook up and have some experienced tour guides to ride with.

viva la v-brakes!

Hawk Eye

The RV park in question in Uptown Sedona is called Hawk Eye RV Park. They were closed today, but from what I gathered from the outside of the building I can tell you they do have tent camping for $18.88 per night. The phone number there is 928-282-2222.

This places isn't the nicest, not as ugly as a KOA, but much shabbier. It does have the advantage of being very close to the trails though. The National Forest campground, Manzanita, is a couple miles up 89A, but is much much nicer. If it was up to me I'd camp there and suck up and ride the 5 or so road miles from camp to down. I don't know if Hawk Eye will still let you pay for a shower, but if they won't sneeking in is not hard, just wait for dark and park up near the street and walk on down.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

viva la v-brakes!

null

disregard
    Last edited by FishMan473; 03-01-2004 at 11:30 PM. Reason: deleting, wrong place

recovering roadie

rides in sedona / flag

If you just want the quick and dirty, pick up Cosmic Ray's guide "Fat Tire Tales and Trails" - there are at least a couple of the best rides for each of those areas in there. For more detail, get Paul Beakley's guidebook - something like Mountain Bike America: Arizona. He's a frequent contributor here, so he may chime in.

Anyway, faves in Sedona are Sub Rock/ Chicken Point / Cathedral Rock / Llama Trail loops, Flagstaff, check out the Little Bear Loop with Schultz, Upper Brookbank and Elden Springs trails as highlights. I never get tired of that one.