Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    8

    Sedona advice needed

    Hi all,

    Long time lurker here, looking for some advice on how to hit two separate loops in Sedona. I'd like to do two short loops this coming saturday- Slim Shady/Hiline/Baldwin/Templeton followed by some iteration of Chuckwagon/Mescal/etc. I am good for 30-35 miles of riding, but my only question is around parking- does it make sense to start near oak creek trail heads for Hiline loop and then drive to the chuckwagon TH, or should I attempt to connect them on the bike somehow? I know parking at the trailheads can be a PITA after 8am so I'm wondering if there is a better way to do this.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    slower than you
    Reputation: rockychrysler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,164
    It's geographically simple to connect these two loops, but technically and physically rather challenging. From Baldwin, wade the creek at the Crossing. Ride up Old Post to Herkenham. Cross the Highway near the high school. Take Girdner to Chuckwagon.

    Parking for this long ride, as you have mentioned, will be a sh!tshow no matter where and no matter when you choose to start your ride. Traffic and trailheads in and near Sedona are quite insane these days, year round, seven days a week.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    It's geographically simple to connect these two loops, but technically and physically rather challenging. From Baldwin, wade the creek at the Crossing. Ride up Old Post to Herkenham. Cross the Highway near the high school. Take Girdner to Chuckwagon.

    Parking for this long ride, as you have mentioned, we be a sh!tshow no matter where and no matter when you choose to start your ride. Traffic and trailheads in and near Sedona are quite insane these days, year round, seven days a week.
    Thanks- I had a feeling that was the case. I have only hiked up there, but I recall seeing some parking on the street near where mescal and chuckwagon hit the pavement.... am I imagining things? Seems like it would be easier to attempt to park up there around 10/11am if you can pull off to the side of the highway rather than waiting for someone to leave the TH.

  4. #4
    slower than you
    Reputation: rockychrysler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,164
    Quote Originally Posted by jl84 View Post
    Thanks- I had a feeling that was the case. I have only hiked up there, but I recall seeing some parking on the street near where mescal and chuckwagon hit the pavement.... am I imagining things? Seems like it would be easier to attempt to park up there around 10/11am if you can pull off to the side of the highway rather than waiting for someone to leave the TH.
    Your best bet, if you just want to get a parking spot at a trailhead, is to hit the one at the south end of Aerie at Cockscomb off Boynton Pass Rd. It's remote enough that it's still always half-empty most days. Puts you quite a ways off your selected loops, tho.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    Your best bet, if you just want to get a parking spot at a trailhead, is to hit the one at the south end of Aerie at Cockscomb off Boynton Pass Rd. It's remote enough that it's still always half-empty most days. Puts you quite a ways off your selected loops, tho.
    Thank you, very much appreciated. I'm thinking it might be better to just leave one of these loops for another day.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RajunCajun44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,900
    it may be too late but the AZ cypress trailhead has the best parking in the Mescal trail area...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,267
    If I were going to do those two loops, I would park my car at Cresent Moon Park at Red Rock Crossing and cross Oak Creek to Templeton. I have an annual $40 pass which allows me to park at all the popular local trailheads for one year. If you wanted to save the $10 one day parking fee you can park south of the Old Post trailhead (about 100 yards) on Chavez Rd. and ride to Red Rock Crossing. There is also a secret parking spot just on the north side of the mobile home park which is located next to the end of Red Rock Crossing Rd.. If you park there make sure you park off the dirt road so people can pass your parked vehicle.

    After finishing Hiline I would cross Oak Creek and ride to my vehicle on Chavez Rd. and from there drive to Dry Creek Rd. and the Chuck Wagon/Girdner intersection for the start of the second ride. I would ride Chuckwagon to the northeast end and head from there to the Long Canyon trailhead. From there I would take To Mescal to Mescal to Upper Mescal to Canyon of Fools to Dawa to OK to Az Cypress to Snake to your car.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    172
    Hey; why not just ask SB2 for a favour? Ride with you.
    Cheers
    TS

  9. #9
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Senior View Post
    Hey; why not just ask SB2 for a favour?
    The happy ending in the hot tub is too much for most people.

Similar Threads

  1. Flag to Sedona: a little help needed.
    By 'size in forum Arizona
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-01-2014, 04:33 PM
  2. Partner(s) Needed - Sedona Area 4/9 - 4/14
    By Maine_Rider in forum Arizona
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2014, 10:28 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2014, 05:00 PM
  4. Sedona Bike Park Support Needed
    By freak-a-zoid in forum Arizona
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2013, 10:55 AM
  5. 2012 Sedona Fat Tire Festival (input needed)
    By Chalkpaw in forum Arizona
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 05:03 PM

Members who have read this thread: 8

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.