parenting for gnarness

Scottsdale Public Hearing for trail in Granite Mountain area

this is from a city press release, regarding the trails around Alma School and Dynamite road.

Scottsdale seeks input regarding trails in the Granite Mountain area

Scottsdale is applying for a land use permit that would put more than 10,000 acres of state trust land north of Dynamite Boulevard under city oversight. Scottsdale plans eventually to acquire the land as part of the McDowell Sonoran Preserve and this move is intended to limit damage to the land while continuing to allow public access to some or all of the property.

Public comment is invited during a joint meeting of the Parks and Recreation Commission and the McDowell Sonoran Preserve Commission, which will take place at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, May 5, at the Granite Reef Senior Center, Room 1 (1700 N. Granite Reef Road; just north of McDowell Road).

The commissions will hear a staff report and discuss the types of uses that the city might restrict on the land, which surrounds the northern Scottsdale landmark of Granite Mountain.

Under a special land use permit from the State of Arizona, Scottsdale would take on a more specific set of responsibilities for operating and maintaining a trails system in the area, which might include additional restrictions on access to trails.

The State Land Department has allowed non-motorized uses, such as hiking, rock climbing, mountain biking and horse riding on the property with the proper permits. These uses would likely continue to be permitted in the Granite Mountain area.

Motorized recreational vehicles are not currently authorized in the area, and that restriction would continue under Scottsdale oversight. The State Land Department does allow off-road vehicle tours on designated trails with the appropriate permits, and the city is planning a transition period during which off-road tour providers could continue to operate.

Unless preserve rules change, however, off-road tours (like other off-highway vehicles) eventually would be prohibited in the area as Scottsdale purchases more land.

For more information about Scottsdale’s McDowell Sonoran Preserve visit www.scottsdaleaz.gov/preserve.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Meatbomb
    I think Scottsdale will do a fine job of managing the land.

mtbr member
    Nice! They make public meetings for these issues on weekdays when most people are working or on their way home. That way no one is there to voice their opinion. Way to go Scottsdale. You have acheived a new high of ******-baggery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by berzerker
    Nice! They make public meetings for these issues on weekdays when most people are working or on their way home. That way no one is there to voice their opinion. Way to go Scottsdale. You have acheived a new high of ******-baggery.
    Come on man. 5:30 is pretty reasonable. Now, if you go there and they don't have sparkling water and free valet service then you have something to complain about.

parenting for gnarness
    that time frame is pretty consistent with most public meetings held by most cities, the idea that they still want people to be able to get home to their families etc before 10pm, otherwise no one would come to voice their opinion.

Shovel Ready
    You're looking at this from the wrong angle. Knowing your position, I would suggest you inquire about being a LBS representative at said meeting. I'm sure your boss would allow you to represent being the best Bike shop in town. Oh wait my parts are still not in, never mind.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i have yet to visit scottsdale,, is it really all 90210ish?
    for the record here, about half of my t-shirts have the sleeves hacked off...

Meatbomb

'most' people are not working at 5:30.

don't hate

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Is today "get mad at the most innocuous s**t day"? I'm pretty upset I wasn't notified....

mtbr member
    Not only am I still working at 5:30, but I'm working in Canada, so I can't make the meeting. What I would like to know, if anyone here can ask when they attend, is if the recent closure to off-highway vehicles has reduced the air quality issues that they "intended" to improve? Taking into consideration, of course and eliminating wind, precipitation, agriculture, and construction fluctuations.
    a real Dirkbag!

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by DonRastafari
    Not only am I still working at 5:30, but I'm working in Canada, so I can't make the meeting. What I would like to know, if anyone here can ask when they attend, is if the recent closure to off-highway vehicles has reduced the air quality issues that they "intended" to improve? Taking into consideration, of course and eliminating wind, precipitation, agriculture, and construction fluctuations.
    there are email contacts on the City site, and will be further meetings in June.

mtbr member
    Wait and get mad later, when you notice that the city of Scottsdale has taken your input and chucked it into the nearest trash can. They only hold these meetings so they can say they got public input. They've already decided what they're going to do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem
    Is today "get mad at the most innocuous s**t day"? I'm pretty upset I wasn't notified....
    So, they take away an area that has been used by OHVers for the last 50+ years because a few wealthy residents decided to move in and they don't like dust. Then they tell the rest of the users, mtb's-hikers-equestrians, that they have to pay to access the area. Now they want to take public land and make it private. I don't see how this is innocuous in any way.
    This is the same ridiculous mentality as those who move next to an Air Force base and complain about noise.
    I'm feeling like stirring up some dust....BBBRRRRAAAAAAPPP

Shovel Ready
    On a loaner?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64
    On a loaner?
    You don't gotta hate jus' 'cause you turned in your man-card.

Shovel Ready
    You don't gotta hate jus' 'cause you turned in your man-card.
    Have fun out there bud!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    i have yet to visit scottsdale,, is it really all 90210ish?
    for the record here, about half of my t-shirts have the sleeves hacked off...
    I always struggle to answer that one. Yes and No. coming from someone who moved here (Scottsdale) pretty recently from your neighbor state of IN, funny you mention that. I have the same "problem" with my shirts too.

Did I miss something in the original post or didn't is say motorized vehicles aren't allowed in this particular area in question currently and that won't check when Scottsdale takes over. What's the problem? Or are people talking about a different area that was taken over at some other time?

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by tonebone2000
    I always struggle to answer that one. Yes and No. coming from someone who moved here (Scottsdale) pretty recently from your neighbor state of IN, funny you mention that. I have the same "problem" with my shirts too.
    lol, +1

Did I miss something in the original post or didn't is say motorized vehicles aren't allowed in this particular area in question currently and that won't check when Scottsdale takes over. What's the problem? Or are people talking about a different area that was taken over at some other time?
    they are wanting to revisit Roe v. Wade.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Saturday @ 8.
    C'mon out!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleGerl
    Saturday @ 8.
    C'mon out!
    Nice! You make public posting about some MX riding on weekends when most people are sleeping or watching cartoons. That way no one is there to join in the fun. Way to go TurtleGerl. You have acheived a new high of ******-baggery.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Nice! You make public posting about some MX riding on weekends when most people are sleeping or watching cartoons. That way no one is there to join in the fun. Way to go TurtleGerl. You have acheived a new high of ******-baggery.
    I know. I'm sorry, but we won't make any dust. Really ... I promise.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That land has kind of taken care of itself, no?

mtbr member
    Sorry, I didn't clarify what I was rambling about. A while back, Scottsdale decided to close Granite Mountain Area to motorized use, under the clean air blanket excuse. Claiming too much dust. Even though I doubt a few squids doing doughnuts in the parking lot and the rest of us riding as normal people do causes anywhere near as much dust as agriculture and construction. As it was pointed out up the page some, it was more likely because the Richie Rich's moved in all around an esablished riding area then complained that it was too noisy and ruining the pristine desert...blah blah, bs.
    a real Dirkbag!

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleGerl
    I know. I'm sorry, but we won't make any dust. Really ... I promise.
    horse poop and dressing like Western Barbie, however, are ok!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Don't necessarily follow the logic of the 90210 reference, but that area of Scottsdale is about as far from "glamour" as you can get. There will be probably 15-20 transients standing by both the AM/PM and the 7-11 on the corners. And right across Granite Reef you'll find our lovely day labor center and the illustrious Playa Bar, which opens at 7 a.m. for all your drinking needs. Enjoy

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Don't necessarily follow the logic of the 90210 reference, but that area of Scottsdale is about as far from "glamour" as you can get. There will be probably 15-20 transients standing by both the AM/PM and the 7-11 on the corners. And right across Granite Reef you'll find our lovely day labor center and the illustrious Playa Bar, which opens at 7 a.m. for all your drinking needs. Enjoy
    Lived is Scottsdale all my life. Sure there are some nice homes in certain sections. Just as there are in PV, Fountain Hills and the Foothills area. Phoenix has some pricey homes also. People like to stereo type for their on reasons!

mtbr member
    There's a Playa Bar in Snottsdale? There is one of the street from me. I didn't know it was a chain.

mtbr member
    Lived is Scottsdale all my life. Sure there are some nice homes in certain sections. Just as there are in PV, Fountain Hills and the Foothills area. Phoenix has some pricey homes also. People like to stereo type for their on reasons!
    Which one are you: Brandon or the dude with curly hair and the weird last name?

Meatbomb

Thats down by Granit Reef and McDowell... the land being discussed is in north scottsdale past dynamite.

Shovel Ready
    Which one are you: Brandon or the dude with curly hair and the weird last name?
    I can tell who I'm not. I'm not the Birkenstock wearing, long hair, Pruis driving hippie with an Obama sticker pastured all over the rear window.

sprocket
    I can tell who I'm not. I'm not the Birkenstock wearing, long hair, Pruis driving hippie with an Obama sticker pastured all over the rear window.
    I wear birks.
    I have an Obama picture in my place of business - like every good American should, because you know, you don't slight the Presidency.
    I drive a Subaru though.

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    I wear birks.
    I have an Obama picture in my place of business - like every good American should, because you know, you don't slight the Presidency.
    I drive a Subaru though.
    Subaru. Thank you for supporting America.

mtbr member
    Confused. Buying Toyota is not supporting America?

Shovel Ready
    Confused. Buying Toyota is not supporting America?
    Stop thinking everything is about you. I was trashing Yeti's Subaru.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    Thats down by Granit Reef and McDowell... the land being discussed is in north scottsdale past dynamite.
    I understand. I was discussing the area where the public meeting is scheduled.

sprocket
    Stop thinking everything is about you. I was trashing Yeti's Subaru.
    It is hard to trash. I have been doing a good job of it but it keeps working.

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    It is hard to trash. I have been doing a good job of it but it keeps working.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    +1

Chiva

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone....i needed a good laugh!

Meatbomb
    I understand. I was discussing the area where the public meeting is scheduled.
    Ahh.. I see...

I managed a Neighborhood Improvement Project that was subsidized by the city a few years back and our meetings were held at that senior center... not a bad place actually.

and you can get meth in the parking lot

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Well, the employees at the Subaru plant in Lafayette, IN probably thank him.....

I'm just suprised that there are people outside of Boulder, CO who drive Subes.....

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    let me go on record stating that despit my name i am zero percent hippie,, its all 80s metal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Damn, missed that one. Let us know how it goes.

Members who have read this thread: 0