Thread: Scottsdale AZ

mtbr member

Scottsdale AZ

I am flying out to Scottsdale Fri, Sat, Sun and am looking to ride most likely on Saturday. Where should I rent a bike? What should I ride? My level would be considered intermediate/expert from New England.

I would love to join a local group ride if I could!

Thanks
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    South Mountain is the benchmark, go up National or Mormon to National and depending on time turn around at the Buena Vista parking lot or keep going to Telegraph Pass and then come back up via the road to the Buena Vista parking lot and back down national!

mtbr member
    Are you aware of Meetup dot com? See on there that there is a PHX group of riders that call themselves 'AZ Mountain Biking' that will be having a group ride at Brown's Ranch on Saturday at 7:30 am. It's not South Mountain by a long shot but since it will all be new to you, it could be FUN and it will be close by rather than driving 30+ minutes.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    That would be cool - I think South Mountain is too far to be honest.

How do I contact them>?

Where should I rent a hardtail from (SS if I could)

Thanks
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Well, you can sign up for a free account at www.meetup.com and then search for mountain bike groups in PHX....or maybe just show up at the Brown's Ranch TH off Alma Road at 7:15 am and ask for the "Meet-Up" group. The ride is being set up by somebody named Paula and there are 5 riders signed up so far.

I have no clue about rental bikes but this came up on a Google search https://aoa-adventures.com/performan...n-bike-rental/
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Call Airpark Bike in north Scottsdale.
    They have many rentals and are close to the Brown ranch trail system.
    480-596-6633
    20875 N Pima Road 85255

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I am going on the ride at Browns with Amy and the AZ Mt Biking group if you would like to PM me for more info. And looks to be nicer weather, as we just hit 100!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Are you aware of Meetup dot com? See on there that there is a PHX group of riders that call themselves 'AZ Mountain Biking' that will be having a group ride at Brown's Ranch on Saturday at 7:30 am. It's not South Mountain by a long shot but since it will all be new to you, it could be FUN and it will be close by rather than driving 30+ minutes.
    Hmm Browns vs National/Mormon. Those about as different a Mtb ride as there is. Both are fun, but in completly different ways. Browns is all about turns and smooth ground. Not easy at speed since turns are so loose with ball bearing gravel over hardpack. Fun, but not easy. National is where you bring big travel. Dropper posts and body armor. Fun, but in a different way. There is also all manner of trails in between.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    That would be cool - I think South Mountain is too far to be honest.

How do I contact them>?

Where should I rent a hardtail from (SS if I could)

Thanks
    BTW... I love my SS HT at Browns. But there is also the West side of the McDowells. From Gateway TH off of Thompson Peak and Bell Road. Tough on SS due to constant rocks, but fun and rewarding.

South Mtn is about 35 minute drive from North Scottsdale and Desert Classic is great on a SS. National on a SS is frustration as best.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

banned
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    I am flying out to Scottsdale Fri, Sat, Sun and am looking to ride most likely on Saturday. Where should I rent a bike? What should I ride? My level would be considered intermediate/expert from New England.

I would love to join a local group ride if I could!

Thanks
    Paul,

Brown's Ranch is a great place for you to ride. I was out there today. I got a call from Carole at Scottsdale Mountain Biking (Meet-Up) group last night and she asked me to host Jean, from Montreal on an afternoon ride today. I figured he'd be slow since he was coming from Canada and this was his first ride of the year. Turns out he use to race and came ready. Normally, the Scottsdale Meet-Up attracts intermediates and beginners, with the occasional expert. AZ Mountain Biking Meet-Up groups are generally more intermediates with the occasional beginners and some experts. Amy runs the Meet-Up and she is a former pro rider and former world record holder, I believe. I think she once rode something like 284 miles on a mountain bike in 24 hours. She rides a belt drive single speed.

Two Saturdays ago I led one of Amy's rides at Brown's Ranch. It attracted 35 riders. I explained it was going to be an intermediate ride on intermediate trails for intermediate and expert riders. I joked that some of the group rides are a bit like climbing Mount Everest because you often come back with less people than you started with. We stopped fairly often to regroup, and it became clear to me that some less than intermediate riders were struggling early on. As expected, they dropped back so far they missed a turn and we lost them...twice. The second time was a disaster as they got lost in the black hole parcel of land known as the State Land Trust. One rider got so frustrated, he picked up his bike and bushwhacked his way through the desert to find his way back onto familiar trails.

My point is that group rides are fun and the social part is great. The waiting around for the beginners who were told the ride is for intermediates and above is not so great. Amy is sweet, but she may have me on double secret probation for dropping nine riders, otherwise I'd join you and the group. I'll probably be out there about the same time. I'll say hello to everyone if I run into you. Expect a full house on Saturday.

Combining Old and Bold
    No one has mentioned Cave Creek Regional Park yet, and it is near Scottsdale. It is scenic, not too technical (not as butter smooth as Brown's Ranch, but smoother than W McDowells. It has more climbing and descending than Brown's Ranch which IMO makes it a funnier ride. You can access it from trails right out of Cave Creek, and if you want a longer (23-25 mile) ride you can start in Spur Cross and make your way through CCRP on the way back to town. Rentals through Spur Cross Cyclery (never been there), and the town of Cave Creek has plenty of coffee shops, cafes, and bars. See Trailforks for trail info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    A bit of a hijack, but is it just me or has there been a significant increase in horse traffic in CCRP (at least on the lower trails at the bottom of Go John)?

I'm not a horse hater in general, but the last time I rode through there it was caravan after caravan of *commercial* trail rides I had to deal with. And by deal with I mean trails that were trashed from the heavy beasts, inch deep dust from the heavy beasts, and substantial dung and piss everywhere.

I've never had a problem with the occasional recreational horse rider I come across, I normally dismount and walk past them and everything, but I was a little pissed that a commercial enterprise is allowed to trash the area like that. I assume they have to pay for access to use the park for their business, but that doesn't excuse the state they're leaving the trails in. It feels like Grand Canyon Bright Angel circa 2000.

mtbr member
    Nothing wrong with Phoenix Mountain Preserve while you're at it. Dreamy Draw's right off the 51, so pretty easily accessed from Scottsdale via surface streets or the 101.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharp-End View Post
    A bit of a hijack, but is it just me or has there been a significant increase in horse traffic in CCRP (at least on the lower trails at the bottom of Go John)?

I'm not a horse hater in general, but the last time I rode through there it was caravan after caravan of *commercial* trail rides I had to deal with. And by deal with I mean trails that were trashed from the heavy beasts, inch deep dust from the heavy beasts, and substantial dung and piss everywhere.

I've never had a problem with the occasional recreational horse rider I come across, I normally dismount and walk past them and everything, but I was a little pissed that a commercial enterprise is allowed to trash the area like that. I assume they have to pay for access to use the park for their business, but that doesn't excuse the state they're leaving the trails in. It feels like Grand Canyon Bright Angel circa 2000.
    I quit going anywhere near the proper Cave Creek trails for this reason, especially the part of Slate, GoJohn and Overton that you're referring to. Anymore, I park at AW, ride Brawling Badger/Cliff Walk in to Flume (one of my favorite trails in all of PHX), then hang a right on Slate down to Military, up to Flat Rock, down Quartz and out on Flume again....Or I climb Quartz, and take GoJohn over the top to get into Spur Cross.

Hell, last time I rode C4, I chose to go right at the SC/CC gate, and over the top side of GoJohn and then sneak in down Flat Rock to Military and exit out on Slate to finish the loop to Local Johnny's.
    Don’t modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    GoJohn's a beast ride.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish