A Scot in Scottsdale for a few days in Sept- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

A Scot in Scottsdale for a few days in Sept

Hi all.
    I'm in Scottsdale next week for a few days and am thinking of taking a bike and getting out into the mountains... I love mountains... but I have a few questions.

1. Is it going to be too hot in Scottsdale? What about evening/morning... take my lights? Bear in mind we don't see the sun much in Scotland and anything over 21C is hot-hot-hot!

2. If I decide to stay for a few extra days would I better heading up to Flagstaff where it should be cooler. I'd like to see the Grand Canyon anyway so it would be on the way.

3. Any trail recomendations, trails not to miss? I like technical and fast (expert level ex DH and XC champ)... stuff to compare to Downieville?

4. Which bike to take? All Mountain 33lb Nicolai Helius AM beast or 26lb long forked hardtail?

5. Books or shops to visit to get information?

Thanks for any replies

Give it a crank
    Sounds like the McDowells would be your cup of tea for an early morning ride. The long climbs there provide for good downhill rewards though they're not really expert level, they're certainly not beginner descents either.

A good ride there is the Windgate-Bell Pass 10-mile loop with 2K feet of up/down. Early morning temps should be 80F or so, with the whole west side of the mountains in the shade. Hardtails do ok there, long forks might be overkill.

Books? Start with Cosmic Ray's guidebook available everywhere. I particularly like REI for books, maps, food, gear for everything outdoors, they're near Cactus & Tatum.

I can do a 6am ride there most days, PM me we can hook up along with anyone else who wants to do a 2hr ride in the McDowells.

parenting for gnarness
    do you want to ride rocky xc or do you want to ride techy AM? McDowells or South Mountain.

Flag also has some of each. Don't try to ride Flag and the GC in the same day.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Shred...it's the new drug
    early mornings are great riding now...can get 3 or 4 hours in till it gets too hot. if you want some chunky rocky stuff and would like a tour of south mountain gnar via shuttle van, PM me or look for the Wed. morning shuttle thread to pop up...you will get in the chunk!!! PMP sounds like your cup of tea too...Bring the Nicolai...

mtbr member
    Brilliant replies. Thanks for all the information, I think some early morning rides will be on my agenda. I'll be in touch... I'm getting excited.

EDR
    Uh....keep in mind the low temps in Phoenix this past week are around 86 or 88 degrees or 30C. That's at 4am.... Next week brings hope of cooler temps but still much hotter than what you are used to. For great rocky techie climbing and descent National at South mtn. is a must. I'd suggest starting at daylight though...5:45ish am. Once the sun comes out you will be toast in not time.

Flag would be a great option. Much much cooler.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Go to flagstaff.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    HI ,

I will be flying into Scottsdale the last Thurs night of Oct for a Friday meeting, and thinking of staying through Saturday. Is there riding and shops to rent a bike within 1 hr (give or take) of SD?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman012 View Post
    HI ,

I will be flying into Scottsdale the last Thurs night of Oct for a Friday meeting, and thinking of staying through Saturday. Is there riding and shops to rent a bike within 1 hr (give or take) of SD?

Thanks in advance
    What's SD?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    What's SD?
    lazy abbr for Scottsdale

Meatbomb
    What's "abbr"

Plenty of shop and riding within an hour of SD. I'm not sure which ones rent but someone will be along soon to fill you in.