Schultz Fire optimism- Mtbr.com
    long live long rides

Schultz Fire optimism

I wanted to start a thread of a different tone about the Schultz Fire in Flag. Of course the fire is still spreading and parts of the Inner Basin might be in trouble. It's also on pace to be the largest wildfire in the Flagstaff area in recorded history.

But there is a bright side, at least as far as trails are concerned. It looks like Little Bear is definitely charred, but not necessarily gone. Reports have indicated that the fire wasn't so intense over the trail. Casual spins up Waterline in the fall to ogle the aspens won't be the same for some time, and Weatherford might next in line, but other than that most of our favorites are intact and likely to remain so. We should consider ourselves lucky that the fire wasn't started by a camper lower down on Schultz Pass Road (like the campsites near the cattle guard). And by we I mean ALL users of the trail system.

Even the Daily Sun has an optimistic headline this morning: "New dawn, new hope." With an absolutely beautiful photo, I might add. The view from town is looking better every day, the winds are staying low, and the fire is spreading into relatively moist fuel areas. Most importantly, no lives or property have been lost.

I don't want to understate the damage done or the work that remains for the fire crews - who, by the way, are doing a bang up job - but I just wanted to provide an update of a different perspective. Let's just hope that forest management policies will change as a result of this mess. And once the forest opens on July 22nd, we can all go for a ride again in the peaks we love, and maybe even find some beauty in the landscape despite the lack of green.

I guess I woke up in a good mood this morning, but I'm still pissed at the individual responsible. It does look like the worst is behind us though. Let's hope so, anyway.
    Last edited by esf_mtb; 06-23-2010 at 12:05 PM.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    yes. lots to take positive. I for one am hopeful that the fire did burn as hot as the initial reports made it out. a really hot fire like the one in Los Alamos, NM a few years back would be truly tragic.
    b

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    yes. lots to take positive. I for one am hopeful that the fire did burn as hot as the initial reports made it out. a really hot fire like the one in Los Alamos, NM a few years back would be truly tragic.
    I posted this link in the other thread but it has an intensity layer for the 22nd.
    http://www.grail.nau.edu/flag_rec/

Also, pretty easy to see what trails have been affected so far. He might not know it but I believe Epicrider's maps are the source for the non-system trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    I posted this link in the other thread but it has an intensity layer for the 22nd.

Also, pretty easy to see what trails have been affected so far. He might not know it but I believe Epicrider's maps are the source for the non-system trails.

intensity layer? I only see a daily parameter map. but then again I didn't look that deeply into the map features. and no base intensity level of the hotness of the C. Grande Fire in L.A. NM.

At least we know that Dale is once again proven to be *the* most despicable person on earth.
    b

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    intensity layer? I only see a daily parameter map. but then again I didn't look that deeply into the map features. and no base intensity level of the hotness of the C. Grande Fire in L.A. NM.

At least we know that Dale is once again proven to be *the* most despicable person on earth.
    I'm not sure what you mean there but thanks for making me look harder. I see that they used his old map before he got the names right

You can view the intensity layer at the top of the "View other layers" through the folder on the right (you can also adjust transparency).

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    thanks for posting that, it makes me feel better.

It ain't easy being Green
    Slightly OT, but I have a question about this map:

Is there any way to tell which trails are bike-legal? For instance, I was looking for trails at the top of Snow Bowl last week and I noticed that both Humphreys and Kachina are clearly marked "No Bikes"; the closest legal trail I could find was Viet Springs.

Thnx.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcadbiker
    Slightly OT, but I have a question about this map:

Is there any way to tell which trails are bike-legal? For instance, I was looking for trails at the top of Snow Bowl last week and I noticed that both Humphreys and Kachina are clearly marked "No Bikes"; the closest legal trail I could find was Viet Springs.

Thnx.
    There are several layers you can turn on or off as you like buy no indicaton of whether they are bike legal or not. Not legal in the Peaks wilderness of course but riding an established non-system trail is legal.

-system trails
    -nonsystem trails
    -Arizona trail
    -Flagstaff loop trail
    -Flagstaff urban trails

They're looking for input at GRAIL and encouraged me to post the link so if you have other suggestions keep them coming. Sorry about derailing the optimism tone of the OP but I feel that way as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0