School me on Prescott- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

School me on Prescott

Been living and riding here is AZ now for just over 10 years In the summer I typically escape the heat by heading up to Elden.

Iíd like to start spending more time in Prescott. Iím in the NW valley and Prescott is almost an hour closer. I have ridden Groom Creek and Granite Basin. But Id like to check out some other stuff. Im interested in Thumb Butte area. Can anyone suggest a 20 mile ish loop?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    Been living and riding here is AZ now for just over 10 years In the summer I typically escape the heat by heading up to Elden.

Iíd like to start spending more time in Prescott. Iím in the NW valley and Prescott is almost an hour closer. I have ridden Groom Creek and Granite Basin. But Id like to check out some other stuff. Im interested in Thumb Butte area. Can anyone suggest a 20 mile ish loop?
    im surprised nobody has responded to you... Every time I ride prescott is pretty much doing the circle trail, so I only know that loop... Here is a good map of the trails... explore... you may want to download the pdf because its very slow accessing via the internet..

http://www.prescott-az.gov/wp-conten...Front-Side.pdf

mtbr member
    looks like there are a lot of looping opportunities between iron springs road and thumb butte road..

mtbr member
    I highly suggest you look into the Prescott Mountain Bike Alliance (PMBA) on Facebook if you have an account. They are super active on social media and have "organized" rides a few days per week. A Thursday Night Guys Ride (TNGR) and an "8-80" group ride on Sundays. They split up into different level, ride for 90 minutes and then meet back for beverages & some sort of grub. I go out there twice a year but I'm not well versed enough to give you the advice you're after....I park at the Thumb Butte TH and take off up the hill to the North. Keep working your way NW too the Emmanuel Pines area and you can definitely get in 20 miles.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Prescott looks rad indeed. We need some of this in Flag. Does anyone know if the trails in this vid are machine built?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Prescott looks rad indeed. We need some of this in Flag. Does anyone know if the trails in this vid are machine built?
    Looks like Ranch-Badger Connector and Badger Mountain trails, both of which are parts of the Prescott Circle Trail. Ranch-Badger was machine built in the last couple of years. Ran into Chris, the city trails guy, on an excavator just before it opened. Not sure about Badger, as it's older.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post

Those were all machine built by a mini excavator and maybe a Sutter as I recall. Very well done and some of my favorite trails here. Chris has done an awesome job here between those and all the new stuff in the Dells.

DOOM
    Thumb Butte goodness can be had via a couple of different methods:

https://www.trailforks.com/region/prescott/

and

Prescott Circle Trail ‚Äď City of Prescott

contains some background info...

Iron Springs TH
    metric crap load of new trails south of the Iron Springs and 332 trail head (rehabbed social trails, new stuff, stuff being built now) in the Emmanuel Pines/Highland Pines area

You can loop these suckers in all sorts of combos and end up in the Thumb Butte area proper which has more trails that loop around south toward the Aspen Creek area

From this trail head (Iron Springs/332) you can also head north in to the Granite Basin area as well which has a number of loops/routes/options.

White Rock Trailhead
    think of this as an intermediate trail head located just west of Thumb Butte itself (like the half-way point of the Iron Springs TH heading south).

This is a good gateway to head south up to the Prieta Overlook which has several additional options

Prieta Overlook gets you around the area where the Whiskey Off-Road course goes.

I have been riding out in this general area quite a bit this summer and you can mix it up really well depending on what you are after and your mood.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    https://youtu.be/dMbOLVW5Xz0

Is this P Mountain? I canít find it on TF or MTB project

5-0
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Yes, the trail is listed as Badger Mountain in TF.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    5-0? Like Five0?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    5-0? As in Five0?

5-0
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Yes sir, just the northern AZ version.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    https://youtu.be/dMbOLVW5Xz0

Is this P Mountain? I canít find it on TF or MTB project
    Yep, Badger Mt., but I haven't seen it buffed out like that in the last two years. It's not chunky by any means, but Mother Nature has made it much more interesting than it looks in that video.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I deleted the term buff single track from my vocabulary when I moved to AZ.

Pivotal figure
    Keep in mind that Badger and Ranch trails can become a quagmire if it rains too much. They're superb if conditions are tacky
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Finally got a chance to get up to P Town today. Road up Ranch. On the way back down jumped on Badger. Good stuff! Thanks for all the info. Next time Iíll hit up the stuff at Thumb Butte.

Side note. Got to ride with a guy that was at the TH when I started. Dude is an amazing guy Edgar. Keep up the good work brother.

EJC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    From bottom of Badger, best way to get back to Ranch Trailhead?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    I guess you'd get on the highway and ride down to Walker Rd. This should provide all the info you need:Prescott Arizona Trail Maps The dark green lines are more established/normal trails. The thinner stuff/broken lines are old routes that may not be passable.

That trail doesn't really lend itself to making a loop, unless you are doing the entire circle trail or you take the cutoff near the top. Logistically, what you are doing on Badger trail is exiting the Bradshaws and proceeding North into town, unless you want to do more of the circle trail and Sundog. You can do things like start at White Spar and ride up to the crest of Spruce Mtn and do that trail with some of 299, mess around with some of the fun trails in the woods between White Spar and Senator, etc. Lots of good ways to do it. If you really want to do Badger, make sure you start there or at Sundog so you can ride up and do a lollypop, then head back down what you climbed.

With the new trails, an idea would be to head up Sundog or Sundog/Badger, then keep riding to Spruce Mtn Road, ride up to the trail 297 turnoff, take 297 down to 305, 305 to 62/Ranch Trail, then head back to Badger. That'd be a nice ride with some great trails.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Pivotal figure
    Yeah, just go under the highway (thru the tunnel) and continue up the trail until it intersects a 2 track dirt road. Head right towards the car dealerships, right on Prescott Lakes Parkway and head out towards highway 69, left and back to Walker Road. It's a quick and easy return route
    Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Yeah, just go under the highway (thru the tunnel) and continue up the trail until it intersects a 2 track dirt road. Head right towards the car dealerships, right on Prescott Lakes Parkway and head out towards highway 69, left and back to Walker Road. It's a quick and easy return route
    This. You can avoid some of the traffic around Costco by turning right at the Trader Joe's strip mall and cutting behind the businesses. Cross N. Lee Blvd., left on Ranch, and right on Walker Rd. The loop is about 12 miles. Should you desire, there are many options for food and rehydration at the establishments near TJs where you can keep an eye on your bike.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    That connection (ranch TH, walker Rd, 69, to dodge dealership) can also be used as a pit stop to the AM/PM for anyone doing the circle trail.... just a suggestion..