Thread: schillingsworth

mtbr member
    May 2008

schillingsworth

Good luck!

Hmmm...one spot *above* Josh Kato:

https://bikepacking.com/bikes/tour-divide-rigs-2019/

Make it happen!

Route conditions and some rider profiles: https://www.dotwatcher.cc/race/tour-divide-2019

Meatbomb
    Crazy people

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'll be watching and cheering on Schilling and all the other riders. What an adventure!!!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    I may not be very fast...but I sure am slow!!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yep watching him and a few other people too. Can't wait to hear/read about his adventure.

yup, going to be some great stories coming out of this.

Go Jdawg!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Day 1: 101 miles so far! The leaders are at 160-ish.

Hopefully schillingsworth got up Koko Claims without straining his achilles or injuring his feet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e74czjWWQU

He's in Elkford, which I think is right after that section. Nope, Koko Claims is after Elkford.

Wow! Josh Kato is still at it, he rode past Fernie and is at 173 miles and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    Day 1: 101 miles so far! The leaders are at 160-ish.

Hopefully schillingsworth got up Koko Claims without straining his achilles or injuring his feet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e74czjWWQU

He's in Elkford, which I think is right after that section. Nope, Koko Claims is after Elkford.

Wow! Josh Kato is still at it, he rode past Fernie and is at 173 miles and counting.

Actually John logged 117 the first day - counting the ride to the start. Says weather was awesome.

It is interesting how the field is still very clumped. Not exactly lonely out there. I'm sure that will change over the next couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    From last night:
    So by 3am 6 riders have made it the 200 mi to Butts Cabin, Steve H first in and Kai Edel about 1.5 hrs later... Josh Kato might be in there too. Looks like Sofiane is pushing for an all nighter??
    ITT[=Individual Time Trial] Nobo[=Northbound] Michael Grosso is reporting tough conditions due to snow in New Mexico! Pulled this from the facebook page: "PSA - what those guys said about Brazo Ridge was right. Terrible conditions of thick mud and lots of snow from NM border to lagunitas. A very hard hard day. I am completely wrecked. Maybe it will be better for SoBo riders but the NoBo should prepare for some serious shit. Itís awful and unrelenting. We are all used to tough trails but this is next level. Nothing is rideable and you will get covered in mud. Very slow going."

mtbr member
    May 2008
    183 miles! Go, go, go!

And the leaders are doing back to back double centuries! On dirt!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Giv'er John;
    Hope you enjoyed canada---you sure left in a hurry!
    Safe ridin.
    TS

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Another Arizona rider, Chris Seistrup, decided to put on an impromptu show for the Blackfoot Angler web cam in Ovando. He was either in the top ten or very close to it at this point in time. So cool to have this attitude and energy after so much output.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00002287895517

As of this post Schilling was at mile 372 in Whitefish. Rockin' it. :-)

MEGALOMANIAC
    If I am reading the stats correctly, the leader has maintained 200 miles traveled each day so far?
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

IPA tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    If I am reading the stats correctly, the leader has maintained 200 miles traveled each day so far?
    I just checked that myself and I think it was 220 per day.
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    And, if you read the reports on the right hand side of the dotwatcher website, Sofiane started the race, then rode for 63 hours straight before stopping for some sleep. He was ahead of Mike Hall's course record at some point, but he's slightly behind the last time I checked. The route is 2,745 miles long with almost 200,000 feet of climbing and Mike Hall did it in just under 13 days and 23 hours.

It's early days though, and anything could happen. From the reports I read, Colorado could slow the riders down: the high passes are still covered in snow.

Lael Wilcox is super impressive. The rider profile on her said that the last time she rode the Tour Divide, she rode from Alaska to the start, then rode home from the finish at the Mexican border.

Some riders do a yo-yo: when they finish they turn around and ride the route in the opposite direction. Apparently, some people run out of racing room on a 2,745 mile course!

MEGALOMANIAC
    And, if you read the reports on the right hand side of the dotwatcher website, Sofiane started the race, then rode for 63 hours straight before stopping for some sleep. He was ahead of Mike Hall's course record at some point, but he's slightly behind the last time I checked. The route is 2,745 miles long with almost 200,000 feet of climbing and Mike Hall did it in just under 13 days and 23 hours.

It's early days though, and anything could happen. From the reports I read, Colorado could slow the riders down: the high passes are still covered in snow.

Lael Wilcox is super impressive. The rider profile on her said that the last time she rode the Tour Divide, she rode from Alaska to the start, then rode home from the finish at the Mexican border.

Some riders do a yo-yo: when they finish they turn around and ride the route in the opposite direction. Apparently, some people run out of racing room on a 2,745 mile course!
    Yes, riding for days on end is really the only way to accomplish so many miles in a given period.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

mtbr member
    May 2008
    And, the race among the leaders just blew up! Apparently, Sofiane got lost in a blizzard at 1am on top of a high pass in -5C (23 F) temps when his gps malfunctioned. He tried to navigate with his cell phone, but he just couldn't find the route, so he had to retreat back down the pass to find shelter in a hotel. He messaged that he was okay, but that he didn't have the gear to survive a night out in that weather.

It looks like all the leaders have taken cover for the day (or they are slogging through mud): at 200m/day x 9 days they should be at 1,800 miles, but they are currently at 1,600+. Sofiane is now 100 miles back of the leader Chris Streisup from Prescott, AZ!

Go shillingsworth! Hang in there! It looks like he had a rough day too: he did not make 100 miles.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Sofiane scratched.

Here's the report from dotwatchers on his ordeal:

Soifiane was pushing (literally) through the night, snow and mud over the Pass to Steamboat Springs after a quick stop at Brush Mountain Lodge (BML) when it all went wrong for him. Sofi lost the track in the snow and the dark. He spent 2 hours trying to rest at temps of -5C, and then made the decision at around 04:30 to turn back down the mountain and return to BML, which took him 3.5 hours to go 15 miles. On the way he passed Josh Kato who was likley sleeping, and Chris Seistrup who was just starting up for the day having wisely rested at BML through the night for a solid 8.5 hours.
    It looks like the other 3(?) leaders made it over the pass, but now the chasers are stuck at Brush Mountain Lodge due to horrendous weather conditions, snow, and mud.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    It sounds like Josh Kato is a scratch. He sure sounded whipped after he went through a similar ordeal as Sofiane, but he said he would keep racing. Then he crashed, and he thought he broke his collarbone. He made it to a hospital, and they said it wasn't broken, so he rested for 12 hours, then got back at it. Then he woke up vomiting and feeling awful so he navigated to another hospital, and he is being transported somewhere, so it sounds serious.

The racers who were holed up at Brush Mountain Lodge because the pass they needed to ride over was impassable due to snow and mud suffered the indignation of the arrival of a NOBO rider who was touring the course (presumably their bike was loaded down with more gear).

schillingsworth:

Route distance per day 95.0 m
    Go, go, go! I wonder what his strategy is going to be for the high passes in CO? Will he ride at night when the mud is frozen/firmer?

Sofiane said his ordeal in the blizzard frightened him, and no race is worth dying for. Big congratulations to him for self rescuing in a dire situation.

Lael Wilcox (with film crew) also scratched. But that's not the end of the story. I think she is still riding the route to completion. Her girlfriend was in the film crew, and there is a rule that you cannot get in person emotional support from loved ones, family, friends, etc. while racing. Because the record time Lael was after (she holds the women's record at 15:10:59) was out of reach due to the weather conditions in CO (she was one of the racers stranded at Brush Mountain Lodge), instead of continuing to race in strict segregation from her girlfriend, she decided to enjoy the riding and visit with her girlfriend when she takes breaks. That's against the rules, so she scratched.

The best image of the racers I've seen so far is of a woman single speeder, Alexandera Houchin, passing male riders up the notorious Koko Claims hike a bike, wearing work boots--with her bike hoisted on her back!

Meatbomb
    The best image of the racers I've seen so far is of a women single speeder passing male riders up the notorious Koko Claims hike a bike, wearing work boots--with her bike hoisted on her back!
    Can you post a link to that picture ....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Here it is:

Alexandera Houchin on Koko Claims

She's well ahead of the women's single speed record.

mtbr member
    There are some great reports/photos by Spencer Harding and Rugile Kaladyte. Links below. Guessing Part 4 might be posted up in the next day or two:

https://theradavist.com/2019/06/2019...e-race-part-1/

https://theradavist.com/2019/06/2019...e-race-part-2/

https://theradavist.com/2019/06/2019...e-race-part-3/

As I write this, Schillingsworth is cranking along about 80 miles from Boulder, WY averaging 95 miles per day. Awesome!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    It's been fun to watch Schilling's progress. Such an incredible ride. His FB posts have been cool too with some really awesome pics.
    Oh and by the way Arizona's Chris Seistrup is still in the lead. Thirty five miles outside of Cuba, NM and then on to Pie Town. Massive effort!!!

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2008
    300 miles to go with 40 miles separating the two leaders. I figure that's about a 3 hour gap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Go john go!
    Ts

mtbr member
    May 2008
    With 250 miles to go, Chris Streisup has increased his lead to 65 miles. Backstory: he's got hemophilia, and in 2018 just before the Tour Divide he crashed in training, which for someone without hemophilia would have caused just a bruise, but he had to be hospitalized with internal bleeding, and he missed the Tour.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Senior View Post
    Go john go!
    Ts
    He passed the halfway mark today! Hopefully that snow/mud fest in CO, which lies ahead, has cleared up.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    From the women's leader, last year's winner, workboot wearing, bike hoisted on back when necessary, single speeder, riding in cutoff jeans shorts, Alexandera Houchin's blog:

My bicycle stirs Weakness to rise to the surface. I am forced to look him square in the eye. I feel like the worst version of myself when it all starts; my legs are weak, I weigh too much, I should train harder, my gear isnít as nice as the others. I push until I find Nausea. We hold hands while he tells me to quit. I look to my left; Nausea is gone. A ghost I deduce, one of those tricky delusions, a mirage with mass. One of the many forms Weakness has assumed as we court each other. The runnerís high kicks in, I flutter in the saddle; weightless. Itís strange, I think. Weakness never goes away, but he leaves my mind and settles in my body instead. Itís translated into a language I comprehend; itís there where his words remind me I am exhausted. My brain has shed that insecurity though. Weakness, once a foe, becomes a friend turned lover. He wraps around my legs like a snake seeking hearth. He embraces me when everything else has left my body. I resist the intimacy; I canít. I just canít. What happens when I need you and you arenít there? Heís rubbed raw a tiny patch of my heart; another ****ing lesson. He said, healing is a cycle; we canít heal if something isnít broken. Betrothed from birth, our reluctance to submit to each other was natural. My anarchist heart and his suffocating venom seemed no match; how could the giziis affiance us so? Snippets of wisdom continue to climb my spine; from seat to cerebrum my affinity for him stretches deeper than before. Weíve developed a mycorrhizal relationship; heís invaded my roots only to help me nourish myself. And now, I carry him with me in everything I do. Iím okay when he isnít there, but hell if Iím not the strongest version of myself when heís lodged in my throat reminding me of my mortality.
    She is on track to shatter the women's single speed record, win the women's category outright, and be the first back to back women's TD winner.

mtbr member
    Chris Seistrup has crossed the finish line in Antelope Wells for the win, and John Schilling has arrived at the comforts of Brush Mountain Lodge - almost simultaneously. Happy day for the Arizonans!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    So awesome! Congratulations Chris Seistrup! From what I read, he beat a super stacked field of top ultra racers.

It must be strange finishing a race that thousands of people are following, yet you arrive at a finish line at a desolate border crossing and no one is there. And, he's probably not going to wait around for 5 hours until the second place finisher arrives. If the second place rider is close behind, then you at least have someone to celebrate with. Hopefully, Chris has some family and friends picking him up at the border.

Good luck in CO schillingsworth! Keep pedalling!

mtbr member
    I think that makes CS's time 15 days, 11 hours, 24 minutes, and 13 seconds. Met his goal. Congrats, Chris!

Unreal performance.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    So awesome! Congratulations Chris Seistrup! From what I read, he beat a super stacked field of top ultra racers.

It must be strange finishing a race that thousands of people are following, yet you arrive at a finish line at a desolate border crossing and no one is there. And, he's probably not going to wait around for 5 hours until the second place finisher arrives. If the second place rider is close behind, then you at least have someone to celebrate with. Hopefully, Chris has some family and friends picking him up at the border.

Good luck in CO schillingsworth! Keep pedalling!
    Happy, I think Jalene from Binary Bikes and some other folks were there to cheer him on. Such an incredible accomplishment. Super happy for Chris.

John is still rockin' it. In Colorado now and rolling right along. Go John go!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    @DustyChap, Good to hear!

It looks like Steve Halligan, who was in second place, is having a tough time getting to the finish line. I read that he is having knee issues. He is currently in 4th place and he's got Tony Lesueur breathing down his neck with less than 200 miles to go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    @DustyChap, Good to hear!

It looks like Steve Halligan, who was in second place, is having a tough time getting to the finish line. I read that he is having knee issues. He is currently in 4th place and he's got Tony Lesueur breathing down his neck with less than 200 miles to go.
    Yeah, I read the same thing about his knee...sounded like it locked up...but it looks like he's still pushing on...so close...rooting for him and everyone else to make it the finish!!!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    There's a description of what happened to Steve Halligan on the right side of the page under the heading "Tour Divide Day 17" here:

https://www.dotwatcher.cc/race/tour-divide-2019

What do you do when you've raced 2,300 miles, then one of your legs quits working (never happened to him before)? I bet Weakness was hissing in his ear.

It took Steve Halligan 6 hours to complete the next 70 miles to Pie Town, where he ended up having to stop for 14 hours, which is an eternity when the leaders are only sleeping 4 hrs(?) per night. He eventually gutted it out to the finish line in 4th place--1 hour behind 3rd place finisher Peter Sandholt, and 6:40 behind 2nd place finisher Nate Ginzton. Pretty amazing effort. Not the finish that you hoped for, but hats off to you Steve Halligan!

And there's more:

Steve Halligan posted: Finished this morning after riding through the night , 16 days 3 hrs. One final curveball in the final 200 km from Silver city: Just after the first climb , my chain stopped turning, further investigation showed the small jockey wheel in rear mech was jammed. I took off wheel, and had to bend back the inner plate that had obviously taken a hit, also the ball bearings were about to explode out of jockey wheel. What the F##k???? I had to stop about 9 times in the next 1.5 hrs to adjust the wheel so as to keep it turning and for chain to stay on. Super annoying!! I had passed Peter, then he passed me ..... in the end I limped to the border with knee and jockey wheel near implosion. Initial feeling were disappointment at how the last days unfolded with injury/mechanical. Of course overall Iím proud to have finished another Divide. This was the toughest and best race I ve been involved in. It was a roller coaster ride, for many I'm sure. A Tour Divide to remember! Thank you all for amazing support, I felt it throughout!!! #vibrantlivingretreat #tourdivide2019 #salsabikes
    ---
    Nate Ginzton rode 243 miles through the Gila and NM desert for 26 hours straight through the night to close out second place for the 2019 Tour Divide.
    I can't imagine that kind of effort after racing 2,500 miles. He finished in 15:20:47, (which was 9 hours, 25 minutes behind Chris Seistrup). Congratulations Nate Ginzton!

Code:
    15:11:22  Chris Seistrup
    15:20:47  Nate Ginzton
    16:02:27  Peter Sandholt
    16:03:27  Steve Halligan
    Go schillingsworth!
    Last edited by happyriding; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:56 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    John Schilling: TD '19: Day 17 It's been said that's it's tough leaving the Brush Mountain Lodge. TRUE!! Kirsten Henricksen runs a top notch, feel at home vibe. Thank you!! My butt also appreciates it!! Best it's felt since day 3!! Saw all the footprints & tire marks of despair from the deathmud last week. Looked horrendous. Rolled into Clark, CO and checked out the store, really cool place & good food. Easy spin down to Steamboat Springs where I ran into Bonnie Gagnon & Grant Larvick at Orange Peel Bikes. They were headed out while I was swapping brake pads & replacing the chain. All else was good. Walked around town loading up on burritos for the ride. On my way out the bikepath was under waist deep water!! Went through anyway. Showers on/off most of the afternoon. I wanted to get up & over Lynx Pass, but I just didn't have it. Camped roadside about 4 miles from the top around midnight. Tough day & only 85 miles, ugh. Body is really feeling the accumulation.

Hang in there schillingsworth! Just ride.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Alexandera Houchin is within 100 miles of the finish line. She's leading Zoe Chauderlot by 240 miles, so it looks like Alexandera is going to be the first back to back women's winner in Tour Divide history. Check out her blog and her story--pretty incredible. She rides in cutoff jeans and hiking boots!
    Last edited by happyriding; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:45 PM.

Hang in there schillingsworth! Just ride.
    oh, he will.
    John is one determined mofo. He ainít the fastest rider out there, but like the Terminator, heíll just keep going.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Alexandera Houchin crossed the finish line. The only record that was in doubt was whether she would post the fastest women's time ever from a Grand Depart--she did. These are the records she established in the 2019 Tour Divide:

1. First female back to back winner.
    2. Fastest women's single speed time ever.
    3. Fastest time ever posted by a women leaving with the Grand Depart.

You can do an ITT (Individual Time Trial) at any time during the year, and Lael Wilcox holds the record for fastest women's ITT. However, I don't think that you can compare Grand Depart times to ITT times because weather is such an important factor.

oh, he will.
    John is one determined mofo.
    Good to hear! Go schillingsworth!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    From https://www.dotwatcher.cc/race/tour-divide-2019:

Hal Russell is still on track to get the over 70 record as he passed through Salida in 18:23:27, as compared to Rick Ashton's 2017 time of 19:15:49. He'll be hoping for the monsoon season in New Mexico to hold off a little linger to get through without mud delays. The saying is "try to be off finished before 4th July to avoid the monsoons", but with the start date this year right at the end of the start window this is easier said than done.

Brenda Wiard met Hal in Salida: The famous Hal Russell rolled into Salida bright and early this morning in perfect weather. He looked chipper and was pleased to be back in Salida, and was going to see his favorite bike mechanic and probably stop at Little Red Hen Bakery. Hal is 70 and this is his last Tour Divide - I could see that he was sad about that.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Oh, no!

John Schilling: TD '19: Day 20. What can I say? This morning's update told you how my night went. Yet, early on I felt good. Beautiful area, but so much washboarding. A couple left digits are numb, half of my right hand is numb. A few hours into the day, there's a 1000' 6.7 mile climb before ripping 12 downhill miles into Salida. That's where the wheels came off today. The first couple miles of climbing were relatively mellow. Right about then the energy tank read 0 & I was in Bonk mode. Got passed by 3 riders as I mostly pushed my bike the final 4. I tried everything, fluids, food, even taking a short nap, but nada. By the time I crested I could barely lift my feet. Even the descent was difficult as I struggled to keep my eyes open.

I went straight to Conoco for a large chocolate milk & when I went to pay was told the milk cooler was malfunctioning!! Soul crushing!! I had been thinking about that for hours. Plan B: Head over to the fine folks at Oveja Negra. I grabbed a shower while Lane mended my blown out riding shorts.

Grabbed lunch at Sweeties & booked a room for the night. Now off to the Safeway pharmacy to see if anything could be done with my insect bite. There's no urgent care here, closest one is in Buena Vista. Tried phoning one in from home, but they wouldn't do it. Hot compress time!!

Sorry for the long post, but if I can't get my knee & saddle sores under control quickly, this may be it. As it stands, I can barely walk around the hotel room. Hoping for a very long, restful & healing sleep tonight. I want to finish this thing, but not if I'm in agony for the next 900+ miles.

Two things are certain out here on the Divide: There are NO easy days and the scenery is stunning. Thanks again for all the well wishes.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I read something that indicated schillingsworth scratched. Still listed as Active on dotwatchers, though.

Edit: schillingsworth called into mtbcast, and he said he had to scratch. He spent two days in Salida trying to get healthy. While there, he went to the ER to have his knee drained because of an infection from an insect bite on his knee, but today he was still having trouble even walking due to pain in his knee.

What can you do? Bad luck. Tough break. Get well soon schillingsworth!

Another hard luck tale:

made_of_salt:
    "Wild." I've kept repeating this to myself for the past 20 days. The people, the places, the depth of experiences I've packed into such a short time have filled my heart for a long time to come. While my body was a vessel to carry myself through 2552 of 2731 miles across the #tourdivide2019 route, I put a crater in my knee coming off a descent thru the Gila National Forest where my ride ended. You might be thinking "shucks" or "bummer" but I loved every minute and I'll be here again.
    schillingsworth,

Hopefully, you will feel the same way at some point when you reflect back on your ride.

Meatbomb
    Awesome effort all the way. Nothing to be ashamed of. Very disappointing I am sure though.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    John:
    Get well quick! And now you know what yer in for; so 2020 is just around the corner.
    Maybe come and do the Merritt Crown before it; to tune!
    Cheers, and WELL DINE!!!
    TS

My other ride is your mom
    Really bummed for the choice John had to make....was forced to make. I know that scratching is an emotional decision, but watching him turn into a first class endurance rider the last decade has been a joy to see. What an accomplishment just to step up and attempt this race.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    2nd place women's finisher Zoe Chauderlot:

TOUR DIVIDE DONE! I finished yesterday night after 20 days, 14 hours and a few minutes. Tied with Nic at 21st place, and am 2nd woman after Alexandera (who's 10 times the rider I am!). I couldn't wait to remove my shoes and took a nap on the warm concrete in front of the border fence. Thank you everyone for being supportive...It's a hard and cruel race, 50% cycling and 50% dealing with the shit that the mountains keep throwing at you. I made a lot of mistakes and I know I could have done better, so I'll be back for more. Aha and that finish line is so anticlimatic

mtbr member
    May 2008

Ride lots...
    Alexandera Houchin crossed the finish line. The only record that was in doubt was whether she would post the fastest women's time ever from a Grand Depart--she did. These are the records she established in the 2019 Tour Divide:

1. First female back to back winner.
    2. Fastest women's single speed time ever.
    3. Fastest time ever posted by a women leaving with the Grand Depart.

You can do an ITT (Individual Time Trial) at any time during the year, and Lael Wilcox holds the record for fastest women's ITT. However, I don't think that you can compare Grand Depart times to ITT times because weather is such an important factor.
    Do you know her personally or something?
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsully575 View Post
    Do you know her personally or something?
    Does that matter? Alexandera has one of the most inspiring stories in this or any year's Tour Divide. Her performance this year was nothing short of amazing.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I was looking for the like button, most of the time there is nothing else to add.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Hey all,
    First time checking in, in like a month or so!! Didn't know this thread had been started. Wow. Thank you so much for all the kind words and support. The Divide is one tough hombre, he won this go-round. I still can't believe I was taken out by an infection above my right knee. Not even sure anything bit me, could've been as simple as an infected hair follicle. All I know is, it's been 6 days since I've been on the bike and today was the first day I could sort of move around normally. Still wouldn't be able to ride as my saddle sores reached legendary status beginning back on Day 4. My knee is getting better, yet still constantly oozing, it's pretty nasty. Doctor wasn't too concerned at today's follow-up. It was one helluva adventure that's for sure. I probably won't be back for a redemption ride, the logistics in something like this are a complete nightmare, from time off work to finances. One this is certain, I'll be heading back to Salida at some point soon to finish the deal.

I met so many incredible people out there, from the famous TD stops like Ovando, MT, The Montana High Country Lodge, Kirsten at Brush Mountain Lodge, etc. to some of the Divide's legendary riders like Josh Kato, Lael Wilcox, Bonnie Gagnon and of course Hal Russell. Hal's route experience is second to none, he knew exactly where to go every mile of the route and kept to his plan. Man, if I can do anything remotely close to what Hal is doing at age 70, sign me up. What a genuine guy. This will be his 6th finish. Think about that.

I have over 1200 pics from the journey and started putting things together today. Look for blog posts for each day to help break things up. I'll try to get it posted in a timely fashion while it's all still fresh. Thanks again, the support online was felt way out in the middle of God's country and there was a lot of it!! BTW, no bear sightings.

And a huge Congrats to fellow Binary Bicycles Ambassador Chris Seistrup for laying down a perfect run in not-so perfect conditions. He had a plan, prepared and executed it flawlessly while other top riders stood by and tried to figure out what to do next. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

-John
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm glad you're back in relatively one piece. Saddle sores are the worst. I can't imagine having to push through that pain multiple days in a row in the middle of nowhere! I'll be checking out some trails near the route in a couple of weeks (Bitterroot Range, Swan Range, Teton Pass, etc.).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Best Antelope Wells border shot I've seen:

https://images.ctfassets.net/6hyijb9...jpg?w=600&q=60

Members who have read this thread: 171