Saturday Ride Invitation: Hawes Pass 8:00am- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Saturday Ride Invitation: Hawes Pass 8:00am

Srexy, myself, and a few other non-mtbr riders will be at Hawes Pass this Saturday morning. We will be doing the outer loop, in addition to an out-and-back over the saddle located on the way to the Mine trail descent.

We would like to have you along if you can make it. Since most of us are limited on time Saturday, we need to be spinning our cranks by 8:00am or very shortly after.

Meet at the dirt parking lot located directly across for the Hawes Pass trailhead. The HP trailhead is on the right (east) side of Power and has two wooden posts marking it.

Directions: From Mesa, drive north on Power Rd which enter the Tonto National Forest. Continue north for just a few miles and you should see a few cars parked on the left (west) side of the road, I drive a dark grey volvo xc70 wagon. If you reach a Pay-Parking lot located on the banks of the Salt River, you have gone too far.

An RSVP would be nice so we can expect you. Otherwise, have a great ride this weekend!

Steven "AZClydesdale"

MTBR Tool
    What a spectacular day - thanks Steve.

Nice to meet all of your biking buddies too - they seem like very cool guys

kAZ
    mtbr member
    Were y'all that pack of 5 guys that my son and I encountered on Wild Horse? We parked off Usery Mtn Rd and rode it in to where I reckon Twisted Sister changes to Wild Horse, 5 miles in.

Interestingly, I'd parked at the wrong spot, just a little S of the entry point from the Rd. Where I parked, someone had broken through the fence and when we got back to the truck there was a Forest Service truck there with 3 rangers repairing the fence. I told them that I didn't do that, to which one said, "I hope not." Then I asked if it's ok to park along the road and lift our bikes over the fence and ride Wild Horse. They didn't seem to even realize that there was a trail there, but they said there was no problem with that, just don't cut the fence. So that's nice to hear from the horse's mouth. That is an outstanding trail for a kid like my 12 yr old son, but it's tough for him to get to from the Hawes side.

MTBR Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by kAZ
    Were y'all that pack of 5 guys that my son and I encountered on Wild Horse? We parked off Usery Mtn Rd and rode it in to where I reckon Twisted Sister changes to Wild Horse, 5 miles in.
    There were 5 of us - 2 on Santa Cruz, 2 on Giant NRS and 1 Trek Liquid (if you were paying attention to that). Not sure where Wild Horse is but it may have been us.

kAZ
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srexy
    There were 5 of us - 2 on Santa Cruz, 2 on Giant NRS and 1 Trek Liquid (if you were paying attention to that). Not sure where Wild Horse is but it may have been us.
    From what I understand, Twisted Sister is the trail that goes east from the saddle between Saddle Back and Mine Trail, and when that trail heads down (north) it becomes Wild Horse, which can be ridden all the way to Usery Pass Rd.

I don't think the 5 I saw were y'all. I recall 1, maybe 2 Y bikes and at least 2 of the others looked like older hardtails. It was a sweet day out there.