Sat AM Pemberton, any takers?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Sat AM Pemberton, any takers?

Hi fellow MTBers!
    I'm not an MTB newbie, only to this forum, so please treat me nice... or not.

I relocated to AZ from MN late 02 and have yet to hook up a consistent group of fellow riders. Yeah, yeah, I know, it's all my fault... probably has to do with a move each year (farther east each time, now at the eastern border of Mesa), job hours/days changing, a great deal of my biking has been during peak heat times (no big deal, just ride faster...) and probably most telling of all I didn't know about this forum. Hopefully now it will help get me connected.

Currently I ride a Giant Trance 2. I had my old faithful (5000+ miles on it) Cannondale Jekyll 700 when I moved to AZ, but apparently (and unfortunately) someone felt they had more need for it than I and absconded with it. I loved the monoshock but not a fan of the Leftie so had to stray from Cannondale.

FINALLY!!... the reason for the post...
    I'll be taking a lap (maybe two) of the Pemberton Trail this Sat (10/14) AM. Not being a fan of solo riding I'm looking for others who'd like to tag along... or lead the way, don't make no never-mind to me.

I'll be at the McDowell Horse Staging Area ready to hit the trail by 7 am. I drive a white 95 Toyota 4Runner with a homebuilt rear bike rack.

Hope to see one or more of you Sat am!
    Take care and happy trails!
    Mark

pedaller

Welcome Mark!

Any 2-6er is a-ok with me!

I'll be in Flag this w/e but maybe another time - now that the weather is getting nice. I'm sure there will be folks out and about and rides will get posted up.

I'd like to see some pics of that homebuilt rear bike rack too.

Have a great ride.

"Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

im4Gsus
    mark,

which direction will you be riding, cc or ccw? also, are you a fast-paced rider?
    if you're not, i'd like to join (i'm not fast, specially on the long service road uH grind, as i prefer ccw )

Ms K
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi Ms K,
    Clockwise this time... I like breaking up the climbs then have that nice long steady downhill, so if/when I do 2nd (or even 3rd) lap I have gravity on my side at the end. (Sometimes if I'm not up for another lap and want some torture, I'll add on the scenic trail at the end, but probably not this Sat)

When riding alone I tend to be faster paced (75-80 min for Pemberton) but I have no problem slowing to whatever the general pace when there's a group.

If you're ok with CW and whatever you want the pace to be, it's ok with me.

Look forward to having you join in! (not definite yet but may have another rider as well)
    Mark

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Homemade bike rack(s)

By popular request (ok, so it was only one, but I'm sure there will be more interest) I'll post some pics of my latest contraption. I've made more than half a dozen now so they are getting simpler all the time.

Hitch_01.jpg
    As you can see I am using a Yakima locking rail on shortened tubes from a roof rack setup. I KNOW if I have a rack on the roof I'll end up forceably removing it at an inopportune time and at the expense of a bike or two, so that ain't gonna happen.

Hitch_02.jpg
    Side view. Since I tend to take my bike along when I take the 4Runner in some out-of-the way places, I had to add the extra vertical bit.

Hitch_03.jpg
    Here's what it looks with the bike on it. The front fork is locked to the rack and the rack is locked into the receiver. If I have to leave the bike on the rack unattended (VERY short periods of time), I'll add a cable lock through the rear wheel. But I'm pretty well philosophical about it all... if someone wants the bike bad enough, they'll get it... my Cannondale was INSIDE a LOCKED vehicle when it was stolen. (broad daylight in front of a grocery store no less)

Hitch_04.jpg
    And while it is a bit tight, as you can see I can still open the tailgate.

Hitch2_01.jpg
    If I need to take two bikes along, I put the rail on my previous rack and I'm ready to go. (Originally built this one for my Mazda Miata. Had to use extra brackets for front wheels because the trunk was too small for them)

BTW, the biggest expense is the Yakima locking rail and of course the Yakima tubes as they are not a regular size. With a small wire-feed welder and a hack-saw I made the last one in under 2 hours including paint drying time. Measuring everything (it's a custom rack after all) and hack-saw time took most of it. And yup, when it got down to it, running in the house and grabbing some ice for the hand when picking up the hot rack took the least amount of time. Duh! Funny how well ice works when you are FAST with it.

If you have an interest in building one for yourself, let me know, I've done it wrong enough to know how to do it right, ice notwithstanding.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm always up for some company. I usually do Pemberton ccw - I like the being able to maintain a fairly constant pace up the service road and then ripping the single track, but I'm up for a change. I'm just getting back on the bike after taking most of the summer off, so I can't make any guarantees on my pace. I drive a silver subaru with a roof rack, so keep an eye out for me.

Tom

Too many Sedonuts...
    I'll be there. I'll even bring some beer if you tell me more about how to build one of those racks. I have a couple of Thule big-mouth upright carriers that I'd love to attach to a hitch.

-JB

PS - Kaboose - this time I'll remember my shoes!

Tdub

Trance 2

Quote Originally Posted by KidAtHeartBiker
    Hi fellow MTBers!

Currently I ride a Giant Trance 2.

Take care and happy trails!
    Mark
    I certainly like your taste in bikes....how have you enjoyed the Trance 2? I've been riding mine for just over a year now and love it. Looking into the 29r market, but would never sell/retire my beloved.

Tdub
    "What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"-Vincent Van Gogh

im4Gsus
    Hi Ms K,
    Clockwise this time...
    Mark
    RATS!!! i think i'm going to pass because of the direction. last tuesday i rode 22 miles on the greenbelt with my 29er - at a very constant, "fast" (for me) pace and it messed up my knees. i cancelled my usual thursday ride and need to take it easy tomorrow. so, going ccw, up the service road will be less stressful for the knees.

now...since you're thinking of doing more than one loop, might you and cactus joe consider starting ccw??? (women!)

if not, that's cool too. i'll be there at 7am. i drive a red element.

cactusJoe: besides the shoes, don't forget your camelbak and bike!
    K

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

ok, ok, ccw it is

Well, it seems ccw is the heavy favorite so we can do first loop that direction. Just remembered the main reason I grew to favor cw... due to a combination of factors my forearms lose feeling on long rides so I tend to ride hands-off the bars whenever possible, and cw there is more chance of being able to do so when the need is greatest.

BTW, I just swore off the Greenbelt as being more dangerous than any of the off-road trails. Over last couple months I've ridden anywhere from 22 to 30 miles on Sat am's with my sister who just moved to AZ. She is used to long paved trail rides back in MN, our "home" state so she wanted to try something like it. But after last Saturday's experience, frankly the non-riders on/near the Greenbelt as well as bikers we have experienced seem to emulate the drivers around here as well... they are awful, care only about themselves and are practically ready to pull a gun at any reasonable request. Trail etiquette is non-existent. It seems whether jogging, riding a bike, walking a dog, or playing frisbee golf that stopping in the middle of the trail or dropping your pack on the trail is the norm. Asking a group of Frisbee golfers VERY NICELY to move their multiple packs off the trail in respect of path users, I was almost assaulted. Felt it best to drop down a few gears and rocket off. According to the vociferous group the trail is NOT FOR BIKES. It must be my fault I didn't see the sign "place your frisbee golf pack here" anywhere on the pavement, but I guess I was riding blind.

Oh yeah, on the first Saturday I had my first road-rash fall in many years when a sprinkler that was watering the path (and very well, thank-you) kicked around and hit me full blast in the face. Between knobby tires, slick pavement and the unconscious duck to avoid the blast, I was down before I knew what hit me. Once the fall happened, good thing the pavement was wet so the rash was just barely larger than a quarter and was gone within a week.

(One plus out of this, I might get my sister to give mtb'ing a try. I've only come across a very few mtb'ers who weren't courteous enough to stop without blocking the trail, and I do have an extra Diamond-Back just her size)

I know, I know, I should give this a rest... I'll be off the soapbox in a moment... it just seems to re-affirm what many non-Minnesotans say about "Minnesota nice" and I do miss it. And yes, I miss the 10-12 foot wide paved trails out in the wilds which I used to 'blade weekly (ok, whenever no snow). Since AZ doesn't have anything very conducive to blading, mtb'ing has become my #1 activity with hiking a close #2.

See ya Sat!

im4Gsus
    Well, it seems ccw is the heavy favorite so we can do first loop that direction.
    See ya Sat!
    YIPEEEE! i'll be there! 7am, right? (i drive a red element.)
    EDIT: read your original post; i'll be RTR by 7am!

Re the greenbelt: i haven't ridden it on saturday morning in a very long time. i usually hit it after work, ~4pm, so many of the rude people are not out yet!

i too rollerblade and have been thinking of going there one of these (weekday) afternoons. might you wanna givitt a try? if we see bags on the paths we can kick'em to the dirt and scram! (oh, i'm b-b-b-baaad!)
    Last edited by kaboose; 10-13-2006 at 12:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Trance vs my old Jekyll

Once I realized my stolen Jekyll was no longer replaceable with a new one (with center monoshock... the Prophet with the Leftie just doesn't work for me... see other post about riding hands-off) I set out to find something in the same price range... thankfully I had replacement insurance coverage at that time. Unfortunately I had to trade in my road bike (Cannondale R100) in to cover deductible.

I checked out pricing first, then scouted out the contenders in person. Unfortunately few shops provided all the keys:
    1. The model I wanted to check out in stock
    2. The right size
    3. Allowed a check ride more than 100 feet

Mike's Bike Chalet in Mesa stepped up to the plate... They gave me a Trance 1 demo to ride for a day. It was pretty much the same as a Trance 2 with a few lighter (read: more expensive) components, so I put my order in immediately. The guys at Mike's were fantastic, as it took a number of rides followed by bar and stem changes to get the bars where I needed them. (All due to an old neck injury which results in forearm numbness after riding some distance.)

All in all, I LIKE the Trance 2 very well (lighter, dual piston calipers) compared to my old Jekyll, but frankly I don't LOVE it like my old Jekyll. I still have thoughts of locating an old one on eBay. Mine had 5000+ miles on it, never did any front or rear shock maintenance (most of those miles back in MN where mud was the norm on my daily ride) and yet would hold air throughout the SEASON. I got a bad shock with my Trance, losing air within a 30 minute ride. After second attempt sent to factory I believe it was replaced with another. It's a lot better but still have to mess with it more than I'd like. Oh yeah, the front fork flex was unheard of on my Jekyll so have had to get used to that a bit.

But if only ONE thing was different, I'm sure I could fall in love with the Trance 2... ride height. Pedal to ground clearance is 2 full inches lower than my Jekyll, and even now 18 months with the Trance I STILL find myself hitting rocks with a pedal (or chainwheel) where I never had to worry on my Jekyll. A Black Spire bash guard was my first addition... well 2nd, after replacing a badly bent pedal on first ride. (That smarts on the foot as well, don'cha know!)

So if/when I can afford another bike, I'll look into the Reign series, which has the ground clearance. If another $1K was in the budget when I got the Trance I would have done it then. Oh well, such is life.

Can't resist getting a jab in on the "fair weather" mtbers that seem to abound down here... My Jekyll was on the rack (and off daily for a ride) on the back of my car 11 months of the year back in MN. Whether it was below freezing and riding in snow or 95-100 and high humidity, I rode all the time. Since more than half the year is 100+ here, I figured if I was going to ride as much here, I had to get used to it. I guess I must have done it pretty well, as I will ride midday at 110+ if that's the only time I have available. I live close to Usery which has lots of hiking and horseback riding traffic, so I love the summer and even the heat of the day because nobody is on the trail. That must either make me dumb or smart? Whatever... it works for me. Oh yeah, when it's hot I don't have to worry about layers of clothing to remove and wonder where to put them.

So, let's hear it... are there any other hot weather mtb loonies out there like me? Gimme a thumbs up if you're among that group.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Greenbelt & blading

When I lived but a mile from the Greenbelt late '02-03, I would bike EARLY Sat am while the obnoxious were still in bed or maybe still passed out? Oops, did I really say that?

I never dared to blade that early due to sprinkling the paths more than the grass (re: earlier post) which is definitely not conducive to blading. For a while I bladed with a club in Scottsdale Wednesday evenings but it more like a quick race to get done instead of socialize... wasn't like anything back home. One evening here I was part of a "record" of 25 who showed up. In MN the club Mon & Fri evening skates were 25-30+ (including ages 6 to 76) and the Friday Night (9-10:30 pm) skates thru downtown we had 50 to 200+ depending on weather. Of course the MN Skate Club was/is one of the most active in the nation. Even had some folks from LA fly in just to participate in a Friday Night skate with us.

I do miss blading... as much as I biked back in MN, I skated more, easily 60-100 miles a week in the summers. 62 miles on one skate out in the wilds of Northern MN was my longest in one afternoon. Sights included woodlands along with the associated wildlife including deer, rabbit, fox, a black bear and even an elusive gray wolf. The Paul Bunyan Trail as well as the Heartland Trail skirt by many lakes, one place within a couple dozen feet of a loon nesting area.

I might just take you up on a skate sometime... I'll have to see if the wheels still turn on my skates... it's probably been well over a year since I last used them. Will talk about it on our ride, that is if CactusJoe and TroyWW don't mind.

Speakin' of you CactusJoe... just so ya know, Extremo Mango Gatorade will loosen my tongue more about hitch-rack makin' than beer will...

im4Gsus
    60, 70 miles rollerblading, eh? oh, boy, i see... perhaps-maybe-possibly you're way out of my league! i hope you're not disappointed tomorrow when i cannot keep up to a fast pace!

your MN blading trail descriptions sound like purdy stuff. i came to az from west palm beach, fla, and in the island of palm beach there was (is) a very nice paved (no ka-thunk, ka-thunk sidewalk) path along the intercoastal waters that i used to blade often. no such paths here, they're all the ka-thunk type.

we'll talk maņana!

K

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    quote: the Prophet with the Leftie just doesn't work for me... see other post about riding hands-off)

Just FYI, I ride no-handed alot (to or from the trailhead) with a Lefty Max 140 -- it doesn't seem any harder than a conventional fork. In fact, the lack of flex and dual-crown makes it seem easier in some regards (such as making small corrections or going around sweeping turns).

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Woulda been nice...

...to have feedback like that 18 mo ago when I had to replace the stolen Jekyll.

Unfortunately, the Cannondale dealers I checked with didn't feel any compunction to allow me to try riding a Prophet more than around the block on regular pavement. In that short time, I could not consistently keep it going where I wanted so moved on to look at other bikes. If any of the Cannondale dealers here were anything like the one I bought my Jekyll back home, I'd probably be riding a Cannondale still.

Mike's Bike Chalet in Mesa is the type of bike shop I'd recommend to anyone and everyone, they just didn't sell Cannondales, at least not new.

I understand the idea of the Leftie to get more suspension travel, but I simply didn't need any more travel than the Jekyll.

Hey VO2, thanks for the feedback though! It's nice to get a variety of feedback as that's what it takes to help everyone get the bike that's right for them. Almost every bike shop I had my Jekyll in told me it was sized too big for me, but it WORKED for me. It was through a lot of testing different bikes before settling on the Jekyll in the first place, and sizing meant nothing to me, it was the feel.

Take care!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Biking and blading, miles don't equate

Heck, blading 60 miles on nice smooth paved trails is less effort than twice around Pemberton. (besides, that was almost 5 years ago)
    But once in a rythm, with a nice tight drafting group and with the lush shade on many trails it was a breeze.
    After a quick scan on my PC I located a few pics...
    CannonValley00.JPG
    This was a cool late fall day on the Cannon Valley Trail
    CannonValley02.JPG
    Same trail 2 years later and early in the year
    JayCooke01.JPG
    Yup, we bladed across the bridge on this trail

Unfortunately the best pics of any blading trail are on a CD that seems to have lost it's strata of data... i.e. will no longer read

im4Gsus
    wow, mark, what a beautiful path.
    that second pic, with all the green, is beeeeeeutiful!

the only pic i have of one bike path is the one in front of my t/h. i'm glad i'm out of florida!!
    Last edited by kaboose; 12-08-2006 at 06:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Good thing scattered showers means just that...

While light showers may be in Mesa, being scattered I'm trusting they will give us a dry ride @ McDowell... or not... whatever, the ride's on either way.
    Now for some breakfast...
    Later...

It rains here. :(
    While light showers may be in Mesa, being scattered I'm trusting they will give us a dry ride @ McDowell... or not... whatever, the ride's on either way.
    Now for some breakfast...
    Later...

Hopefully your ride isn't on a saturated Pemberton, it's like riding in quick sand. Kaboose knows what I'm talking about.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Conditions were great! Almost too good...

Conditions were good, a drop or two here and there, only problem was not being used to ccw, which allowed me to have the worst crash & burn of my mtb'ing career. Dang if it weren't for my pedals being so low to the ground... sure gave me a lift when I hit the immovable rock. (Actually I did break it loose so it no longer is a threat to humanity)

I'm writing this left handed as my right wing is not the best, well actually all of my right side... knee, thigh, upper arm and shoulder, right cheekbone.
    Now that I'm home, swelling has had a chance to get in full swing and after a full assessment of damage, even without health coverage, as visit to Urgent Care is a must. If it weren't for the definitely weird angle of the pinkie, I'd tape it up and get on with life, but having broken as many fingers (and quite a few other assorted bones) as I have, this appears to be bad enough to need professional care or typing with all 9 digits may not happen for some time. (9 because I already have a left pinkie that doesn't cooperate when typing)

Looks like my fall-back for a while will be hiking. Oh well, a nice shower and get a meal in me and off to Urgent Care. (Can't look all dirty and bloody coming into Urgent Care now can I? And if the wait is long I don't want a growling stomache either.

Still, as a true mtb'er, I had a great time with Kaboose & majmun... Cactus Joe and TroyWW must have bailed under threat of bad weather. Hopefully can cath a ride with them when I'm back in the saddle again.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    how was the ride for you Kaboose?

Just read the above its an interesting read

It rains here. :(
    Conditions were good, a drop or two here and there, only problem was not being used to ccw, which allowed me to have the worst crash & burn of my mtb'ing career. Dang if it weren't for my pedals being so low to the ground... sure gave me a lift when I hit the immovable rock. (Actually I did break it loose so it no longer is a threat to humanity)

I'm writing this left handed as my right wing is not the best, well actually all of my right side... knee, thigh, upper arm and shoulder, right cheekbone.
    Now that I'm home, swelling has had a chance to get in full swing and after a full assessment of damage, even without health coverage, as visit to Urgent Care is a must. If it weren't for the definitely weird angle of the pinkie, I'd tape it up and get on with life, but having broken as many fingers (and quite a few other assorted bones) as I have, this appears to be bad enough to need professional care or typing with all 9 digits may not happen for some time. (9 because I already have a left pinkie that doesn't cooperate when typing)

Looks like my fall-back for a while will be hiking. Oh well, a nice shower and get a meal in me and off to Urgent Care. (Can't look all dirty and bloody coming into Urgent Care now can I? And if the wait is long I don't want a growling stomache either.

Still, as a true mtb'er, I had a great time with Kaboose & majmun... Cactus Joe and TroyWW must have bailed under threat of bad weather. Hopefully can cath a ride with them when I'm back in the saddle again.

Comparing your ride and a washed out day of rain, I would have taken the rain.
    Sympathetic pains go out to you, I hate to crash, it's so distracting when I'm trying to have fun.

Tdub

Pemberton Ride

Cactus Joe and TroyWW must have bailed under threat of bad weather. Hopefully can cath a ride with them when I'm back in the saddle again.
    Sorry all, I didn't mean to indicate I'd be out for the ride. Did Lost Dog Ringtail yesterday and had to stay a little closer to home. On my way to the "Green" (or cold) midwest today, headed up to Milwaukee. I was just commenting on another Trance 2 rider so I jumped in. There were some beautiful colors that came out of the rain and cloud cover yesterday...sure you all enjoyed it like I did my ride. Talk soon

Tdub
    "What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"-Vincent Van Gogh

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

mea culpa

Hey Tdub,
    Sorry, I wrote that note grabbing from a weakening memory (or maybe the pain was fogging it) and your handle came to mind as one who had a thought of joining in.

Probably better you weren't there anyway... one less person to witness my crash & burn. Just wish majmun had a video camera to catch the moment in realtime... he had a commanding view I hear.

In reality I experienced it and remember each detail in slo-mo, including the crunching compression of the helmet between my head and the rock as my cheekbone hit same. While visually things look much worse today, I have no pain from anywhere except when bumping an affected area against something else or trying to type withright hand. (Well, stop doing that!!)

Gotta say my bike handled it pretty well... a very slight tweak in rear rim and a few new scratches. Brakes work, shifts great and bars are straight so no worries there.
    Will have to do some pavement riding in next few weeks to keep the bike from getting cobwebs til the broken pinkie heals. (Or not... since when have I ever waited to heal before inflicting new punishment?)

Be sure to enjoy the cold-country while you're there!
    Take care (not like I did),
    Mark

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I did have a pretty good view I just happened to look back in time to hear a yell and see Mark mid-flight. He flew a good 10 feet or so after hitting that poor defensless rock. Despite the broken finger, Mark is a good example of why helmets are so important. It would have been pretty bad if he wasn't wearing his.

I had a great time. Thanks!

BTW, for those of you who have not met kaboose, she's totally fun to ride with - great sense of humor.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Cactus Joe and TroyWW must have bailed under threat of bad weather. Hopefully can cath a ride with them when I'm back in the saddle again.
    Exactly. Bailed when I saw the rain coming down...didn't want a repeat of last year's TWM. Maybe next time. Post up, I'll be there. Got a good ride in at SoMo this morning though...

im4Gsus
    kaboose stayed true to her username by riding solo most of the time. however, mark and tom were great, as they waited for me every few miles and we would chat a while. not like some other folk i've ridden with that see me coming and take off even before i get there. i appreciated them for being patient!

on the rocky mesa where the crash occured, mark had already punished the guilty rock by kicking it to the side. from there on to the car i was able to ride with them. the clouds made for some nice pics which i still have to uL. we even saw and photographed a BIG tarantula on the trail.

mark, i'm glad you went to urgent care, that pinky and hand didn't look too good. hope you recover soon.

K

Members who have read this thread: 0