Sat 10/13 SoMo ride- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Too many Sedonuts...
    Reputation: CactusJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,512

    Sat 10/13 SoMo ride

    North ramada, 7am, FIP 730am

    I'm thinking a something different this time..maybe up National then down Holbert, canal back?

    Or maybe Corona Loma?
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chongoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,944
    once again I'm out. Michelle and I are hiking in the sups saturday. I'll probably be riding somewhere on Sunday not sure where though.

  3. #3
    i like cheese.
    Reputation: bike=good's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    546
    conflicted.

    want to ride in the morning. want to drink at the TDF. wanted to do a short loop in the morning and ride to the TDF. haven't done holbert, want to do holbert.

    however, the longer and harder i ride in the morning the less i pay to get me inebriated.

    damn. now i know how it feels to make a really important decision... like choosing to save 10 people at the cost of one person's life.

  4. #4
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,243
    sorry JB, Tour de Snottsdale on Sunday -- only 2 more training rides then no more skinny-bike for awhile whew!

    but when we do it next i really really want to do one of the black diamond runs.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  5. #5
    wrecking crew
    Reputation: su.ling~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,392
    Wow CJ, this Sat SoMo ride has evolved into a regularly scheduled weekly event since you came back from your injury! Very cool...We'll have to hit your ride sometime. I actually like going up National way more than Mormon. And a huge thumbs up for Holbert or Corona Loma. Both primo trail. You should do an Alta ride again as well.


    Have fun chollaball! The TdeS should be fun! We pre-rode the course a few weekends ago and had a blast on it. Headwinds and all. I did notice last weekend doing the PC loop that they are in the process of building bike lanes along McDowell Mtn Rd stretching from Fountain Hills to Rio Verde. Both sides...So the lanes get narrow with significant drop-offs on the shoulder. Just watch out for yourself and have fun!
    ~~~

  6. #6
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,179
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe
    North ramada, 7am, FIP 730am

    I'm thinking a something different this time..maybe up National then down Holbert, canal back?

    Or maybe Corona Loma?
    I'm in town this weekend! How about up National, down Holbert or Geronimo, up road, down National? The canal is soooo boring but does offer a quick way back if time is short. Or I'm always up for a National/CoronaLoma/DC loop. I'll be rolling from my Ahwatukee shack and will meet you at the ramada at 730. Thanks for posting!

  7. #7
    Too many Sedonuts...
    Reputation: CactusJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,512
    Mike I too am conflicted. I thought about throwing a TdF loop in at the end of the ride.

    However.

    Today is day 7 of the move to the new house and I will likely need to be back around noonish at the latest to continue cleaning/moving/etc. You could always just bail early and save some for TdF.

    Kathleen, see you there.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

  8. #8
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,179
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe
    Mike I too am conflicted. I thought about throwing a TdF loop in at the end of the ride.

    However.

    Today is day 7 of the move to the new house and I will likely need to be back around noonish at the latest to continue cleaning/moving/etc. You could always just bail early and save some for TdF.

    Kathleen, see you there.
    I will likely have another rider with me starting from my house. We are both a bit pressed for time so plan to do just the National/CoronaLoma/DC loop. But I might have time to meet for a post-ride burrito - the afternoon chores need to be fueled with good food!

  9. #9
    i like cheese.
    Reputation: bike=good's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    546
    I'd like to do the National/Holbert option... then I may bail through the park to the canal. Time to bust out the elbow pads and the italian helmet...

  10. #10
    I $uck, but MY BIKE Rules
    Reputation: SparkyAlumni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    170

    So......

    What's the consensus? What's the route plan... Up National and down ????

    I and PoiBoi may join up (depending on the route back).

  11. #11
    Too many Sedonuts...
    Reputation: CactusJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,512
    I think we'll just decide the route at the ramada once everyone gets there.

    I too am pressed for time now, I have to be at a funeral at 11, which means I got to be done by 10. (friend of the family, head on collision on hwy 89 between flag and page. be careful on the roads out there folks. no drugs or alcohol involved, just a moment of in-attention was all it took...)
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

  12. #12
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,179
    Good turnout for CactusJoe's ride this AM - Lynnette and I rolled in to meet CactusJoe, Bike=Good, Poi Boy, SparkyAlumni, and AZDesertRat at the north Ramada. No sissy Mormon climbing for this bunch, so up National we went. We lost CJ at the waterfall due to his time constraints, then said good-bye to Bike=Good who was bound and determined to ride Geronimo today. Poi Boy, SparkyAlumni, and AZDesertRat were led by us girls for their first ever taste of Corona Loma. I think the trails pushed new rider Jim (the desert rat) to his present limits but he ended with a smile so I'm guessing he'll be back. The other guys seemed to like it too. I know I was smiling...

    Great way to start the weekend!!!

    p.s. Notice Lynnette's good form of looking ahead down the switchback. Riding with talented riders is a sure way to improve one's skills!! Now if I could just keep up with her on the DHs...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    lurker extraordinaire
    Reputation: AZDesertRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Good turnout for CactusJoe's ride this AM - Lynnette and I rolled in to meet CactusJoe, Bike=Good, Poi Boy, SparkyAlumni, and AZDesertRat at the north Ramada. No sissy Mormon climbing for this bunch, so up National we went. We lost CJ at the waterfall due to his time constraints, then said good-bye to Bike=Good who was bound and determined to ride Geronimo today. Poi Boy, SparkyAlumni, and AZDesertRat were led by us girls for their first ever taste of Corona Loma. I think the trails pushed new rider Jim (the desert rat) to his present limits but he ended with a smile so I'm guessing he'll be back. The other guys seemed to like it too. I know I was smiling...

    Great way to start the weekend!!!

    p.s. Notice Lynnette's good form of looking ahead down the switchback. Riding with talented riders is a sure way to improve one's skills!! Now if I could just keep up with her on the DHs...
    Yeah, that was more than my feeble skills can currently handle, but I'm working on it and I'll definitely be back (perhaps next weekend?). I also want to thank all of you for being totally cool and being okay with me fumbling my way up and down the trails. You all are a great bunch to ride with and I hope I get the chance to ride with you again soon.

    Now that I have been up further than I've gone before (when I go in that direction, I usually head up Mormon and come back where it meets National), I think I'll start making Mormon/National part of my every day rides. It's pretty tough for me now but I don't think I'm going to get any better by not riding the trails that are tough for me.

    The funny thing is that, before today, I felt like I had improved quite a bit recently. Today's ride just showed me how much more I have to go.

    Thanks again!

  14. #14
    Maui Grown
    Reputation: Poi Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    722
    Kathleen - Good riding with you today. Thanks for showing us Corona Loma. We'll have to do it again sometime. Good times for sure.

  15. #15
    I $uck, but MY BIKE Rules
    Reputation: SparkyAlumni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    170

    Thanx!!!

    Thanx to all for a great time... it was the most fun I've had on SoMo in a long time (no offense PoiBoi ) Although I wasn't looking for to the trek back to the parking lot on DC, I'm definitely glad I did it... and will probably do it again very soon.

    p.s. Kathleen, thanx for not posting the pick of me going down the shute w/one foot out, and looking like a doofus!

  16. #16
    i like cheese.
    Reputation: bike=good's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    546
    bound and determined to get to the frothy beverages... guilty as charged.

    ended up just about running over a boy scout 'trail crew'... 'cleaning' the trail of small pesky rocks and cutting a new rock lined entry to the trail. didn't see any major changes other than the new entry...

  17. #17
    lurker extraordinaire
    Reputation: AZDesertRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by bike=good
    bound and determined to get to the frothy beverages... guilty as charged.

    ended up just about running over a boy scout 'trail crew'... 'cleaning' the trail of small pesky rocks and cutting a new rock lined entry to the trail. didn't see any major changes other than the new entry...
    I wonder if they are the ones who blocked off one of the popular jumps on the way down the fire road (it's the one that someone took video of a couple weeks ago after one of CactusJoe's posted rides). I just figured it was some disgruntled hikers since there were no signs posted.

  18. #18
    Too many Sedonuts...
    Reputation: CactusJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,512
    hey folks. Sorry I had to bail early, but had fun anyway. (gotta do corona loma one of these weekends...)

    I'll post up the same ride next saturday. I'm starting to dig that climb up National. Kicks my arse but not as bad as it used to.

    Kathleen have fun in Sedona.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.