mtbr member

San Tan Goldmine Climb Direction ?

Ill be riding San Tan for the first time on 12/25 (xmas)....

If anyone wants to join me, pm me, I would be glad to have some company....

Question. I noticed there are no strava segments for the climb up goldmine going north to south... but there is a segment going south to north..

Makes wonder if the climb is a lot tougher going north to south than south to north.... or does it matter ?

It looks to me the grade is less steep going north to south....

Anyone have a strava of these climbs up goldmine ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    RajunCajun44,

I don't have any strava on this. I do have a few Garmin connect rides on that from the past I could dig up. The North to South would be a bit more rocky and loose. The South to North is/has been solid, but does make you pick your lines wisely and works you. It can be done either way, but I have always preferred South to North. Then you can work your way back on DN (Dynamite) to hit the other trails. If parking in the DN parking area then can hit that first, then the other trails, and hit GM (Goldmine) last. pm me if you want to see the Garmin connect info.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Brian,
    Here's a nice route I put together, hits all the fun stuff. Personally, I'd skip Goldmine. Not my cup of tea, loose, steep, etc. Give it a whirl if you like, you can always bail back down to Dynamite or San Tan.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Brian,
    Here's a nice route I put together, hits all the fun stuff. Personally, I'd skip Goldmine. Not my cup of tea, loose, steep, etc. Give it a whirl if you like, you can always bail back down to Dynamite or San Tan.
    I think I'll do this, and add an out and back on Malpais -- leaving out the wash section.. I would like to ride that trail... too bad they dump it into a wash.. that's great for a fat bike... but tough to bring a fat bike on a long ride where only part of it is needed.

proceed with caution
    I love the Malpais out/back after a rainy week! its still pretty sandy before it drops into the wash but after the rain we've gotten its probably still pretty tight.

Have fun. Wish I could join you.

x2 what craslonghjohn says on gold mine, it gets pretty loose and steep at the top. At least if you go N/S enjoy the HAB, the backside is fun.

The route FS pointed out is pretty solid. Hits all the trails in my favorite directions.

mtbr member
    @RajunCajun, I sent you a pm. Let me know.
    26 ain't dead....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien_325 View Post
    @RajunCajun, I sent you a pm. Let me know.

I replied

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    I replied
    Got it, thanks!
    26 ain't dead....

mtbr member
    ill be bringing a high geared ss (32x17) that will discourage me from even trying the goldmine climb...

Ahhh the pain....
    I predict that the new rarely traveled collection of smaller segments will be a new longer one one named "The Dynamite that exposed the Goldmine"

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I was out there today so I thought I'd give Malpais a shot. It's a little soft and loose but pretty good trail up to the wash. It was about 1.5 mi total out and back. Definitely worth a little detour.

Enjoy the riding out there. Not everybody's favorite but it's fast and fun if you ask me. Just watch out for horses...

Low speed, High Drag
    I was just out there, Sunday. Did the Dynamite climb for the first time, and am sorry
    I haven't ridden that before. I usually just do a big loop, and try to hit every climb, at least once.

For what it is, the park isn't that bad. You've gotta understand going in, it's not gonna be a technical ride.
    I need a cool saying to put here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    I predict that the new rarely traveled collection of smaller segments will be a new longer one one named "The Dynamite that exposed the Goldmine"
    Maybe... I may refrain from creating segments... and it ain't no Kofa as you know, this place gets ridden a lot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azrider22 View Post
    I was out there today so I thought I'd give Malpais a shot. It's a little soft and loose but pretty good trail up to the wash. It was about 1.5 mi total out and back. Definitely worth a little detour.

Enjoy the riding out there. Not everybody's favorite but it's fast and fun if you ask me. Just watch out for horses...
    The out and back I am thinking about would be the north section of Malpais.... I don't know maybe we are thinking of 2 different out and backs.. .Did you do and out and back in the south section ?

mtbr member
    Hello everyone. Today was my first time riding San Tan Mountain aswell as riding in this type of terrain. I live in San Antonio, TX and compared to the trails I am used to, this one was a smoker. Definitely more cardio involved. I enjoyed not having to go trough rock gardens. I am looking forward to going back out there this weekend and riding some of the trails that were mentioned in this thread.

I was the one out there in a Trek 29" Hardtail. I'm sure some of you saw me as I rode 11 miles from my parents house to the trail then another 11 miles back home after the San Tan Trail.

Maybe I'll see some of you guys out there.
    2013 Trek 820
    2016 Trek Marlin 6

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The out and back I am thinking about would be the north section of Malpais.... I don't know maybe we are thinking of 2 different out and backs.. .Did you do and out and back in the south section ?
    I started from the north section. I believe the south entry to the trail hits wash right away. Although I could be wrong as I haven't explored Malpais too much. Either way, enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Rajun, I apologize I couldn't make it on time for the ride. I ended up getting there at 12 noon. Goldmine was a tough a climb. The terrain seemed more rough to me than South Mountain. I had to hike the bike up since the gravel was pretty loose going up.
    26 ain't dead....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azrider22 View Post
    I started from the north section. I believe the south entry to the trail hits wash right away. Although I could be wrong as I haven't explored Malpais too much. Either way, enjoy the ride...
    No you're correct the north section was sandy.. very sandy.. I didn't expect it because it doesn't look like it follows a wash..

mtbr member
    Rajun, I apologize I couldn't make it on time for the ride. I ended up getting there at 12 noon. Goldmine was a tough a climb. The terrain seemed more rough to me than South Mountain. I had to hike the bike up since the gravel was pretty loose going up.
    we may have crossed paths, my ride ended at around 2PM https://www.strava.com/activities/456243981

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidM310 View Post
    Hello everyone. Today was my first time riding San Tan Mountain aswell as riding in this type of terrain. I live in San Antonio, TX and compared to the trails I am used to, this one was a smoker. Definitely more cardio involved. I enjoyed not having to go trough rock gardens. I am looking forward to going back out there this weekend and riding some of the trails that were mentioned in this thread.

I was the one out there in a Trek 29" Hardtail. I'm sure some of you saw me as I rode 11 miles from my parents house to the trail then another 11 miles back home after the San Tan Trail.

Maybe I'll see some of you guys out there.
    couldn't miss me, I was in All black all spandexed out.. jersey had bright green trim (Cannondale)... riding a very colorful single speed...

mtbr member
    btw, Kudos for doing that climb... I chickened out ...

mtbr member
    we may have crossed paths, my ride ended at around 2PM https://www.strava.com/activities/456243981
    Possibly, I took some photos and alot of go pro videos so I'll upload those tonight in my thread. As for the climb, I got 1/4 of the way up and had to hike it. The gravel was a bit too loose to get traction and it was pretty steep to get any momentum. I rode down it as well. Pretty scary actually compared to my usual ride down Javelina. Might be from the speed along with the loose sections of trail.
    26 ain't dead....

mtbr member
    On a side note, San Tan is a nice trail system... very well built trails.. wish it had more trails to offer.. but that is being kinda greedy

The dynamite trail is really cool

mtbr member
    Definitely agree. I like the change of pace from South Mountain to San Tan. It's a more relaxing ride.
    26 ain't dead....