Sammie Ridge final work event 12/11/10- Mtbr.com
    caninus xerophilous

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Sammie Ridge final work event 12/11/10

Howdy folks,

As some may know, we Tucson MTB'ers have been working hard through the USFS to re-open this epic trail. Well, we are nearly done, all that remains is a hundred yards or so of some brush and tread work to complete the re-establishment of Samaniego Ridge Trail on Mt. Lemmon. So we will be planning to do work for an hour or two and then enjoy the fruits of our labor of love. We'll shred some super sweet single track, play on the rocks, and rapel off the cliff (optional) as well as zip-line our bikes down, and then we'll shred even more super flowy single track and munch on some DH'ing to round it all out.

Event Date: 12/11/10
    POC: Louis @ 5twoOH-7thirty-fitty62
    Link to work event on Tucson MTB: http://tucsonmtb.com/modules.php?nam...ewtopic&t=4180

Hopefully some of our 480 brethren can come on down for some tasty trailwork and good times. If not be sure to put it on your to do list for next year, its a gonga of a ride.

Louis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sammie Ridge final work event 12/11/10-sammie1a.jpg  

Sammie Ridge final work event 12/11/10-sammie4.jpg  

Sammie Ridge final work event 12/11/10-sammie2b.jpg  

Sammie Ridge final work event 12/11/10-sammie3.jpg  

Sammie Ridge final work event 12/11/10-sammie5.jpg  

Just another half mile...
    If I didn't already have plans to work up here on the BCT, I would have made this trip. Looks like you guys installed some anchors on top of the cliff. Have you thought of using of chain extensions (may need longer chains with quick connects) instead of the webbing to form the single point to loop a double rope through? This way one does not need to leave behind any gear as they pull the rope from the bottom. Also, how much rope is needed to rap off the top? Big thanks for all the Tucsonans your hard work! Looking forward to getting back up on Sammie sometime next year after the snow melts off.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog
    Howdy folks,

As some may know, we Tucson MTB'ers have been working hard through the USFS to re-open this epic trail. Well, we are nearly done, all that remains is a hundred yards or so of some brush and tread work to complete the re-establishment of Samaniego Ridge Trail on Mt. Lemmon. So we will be planning to do work for an hour or two and then enjoy the fruits of our labor of love. We'll shred some super sweet single track, play on the rocks, and rapel off the cliff (optional) as well as zip-line our bikes down, and then we'll shred even more super flowy single track and munch on some DH'ing to round it all out.

Event Date: 12/11/10
    POC: Louis @ 5twoOH-7thirty-fitty62
    Link to work event on Tucson MTB: http://tucsonmtb.com/modules.php?nam...ewtopic&t=4180

Hopefully some of our 480 brethren can come on down for some tasty trailwork and good times. If not be sure to put it on your to do list for next year, its a gonga of a ride.

Louis

Tucson, AZ
    Rolling and working would be hard with one hand, but I would love to help with some shuttles to the top of the mountain! Let me know if you need me.

mtbr member
    Sorry Louis, got a crew doing greenie to millie that day. Maybe you'll flip us off on the way to your work site . I'll have a stash of brew sitting at the usual spot if you need some.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    If I didn't already have plans to work up here on the BCT, I would have made this trip. Looks like you guys installed some anchors on top of the cliff. Have you thought of using of chain extensions (may need longer chains with quick connects) instead of the webbing to form the single point to loop a double rope through? This way one does not need to leave behind any gear as they pull the rope from the bottom. Also, how much rope is needed to rap off the top? Big thanks for all the Tucsonans your hard work! Looking forward to getting back up on Sammie sometime next year after the snow melts off.
    Chains or webbing you have to leave something behind. The rope we used was 115 feet and we had plenty for the zip almost enough for the rap without a second pull line. I think 75 feet would work with a separate line for pulling it down. I could see adding chains and maybe one more bolt at some point in the future.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

Just another half mile...
    Cool...

Maybe we can develop this section of Sammi as a Via Ferrata route with a steel cable and steel steeps similar to the Via Ferrata's in the Alps.

Or we could build a cantilevered bridge around the base o fthe cliff to avoid the corkscrew....

Quote Originally Posted by AZTtripper
    Chains or webbing you have to leave something behind. The rope we used was 115 feet and we had plenty for the zip almost enough for the rap without a second pull line. I think 75 feet would work with a separate line for pulling it down. I could see adding chains and maybe one more bolt at some point in the future.
    Last edited by Epicrider; 12-07-2010 at 05:59 PM.

caninus xerophilous
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Sorry Louis, got a crew doing greenie to millie that day. Maybe you'll flip us off on the way to your work site . I'll have a stash of brew sitting at the usual spot if you need some.
    Well enjoy and think about adding Sammie to your crews list of Tucson rides. Takes about 5 hours and there is more variety and descending with just about the same amount or less of HAB.

caninus xerophilous

Some pics fromthe event.

We worked on opening up some lines in a promising free rock playground at Walnut Springs.

Newly exploited terrain feature.

DeepVI testing out said feature.

Playing follow the leader on a developing free ride line at Walnut Spring. The area is teeming with handsomely sized and shaped boulders.

Loads of fun moves out that way.

D14 kicking a booter, but something is seriuosly amiss.

We found the dangerous damage later. Can you see what is wrong?

Later we surmounted the Cork Screw Of Death by means of rope.

This is how we operate.

MadMAx gets it on.

jimmiydean012 pondering some rappeling.

Down below D14 hoists a celebratory beverage.

jimmydean012 goes for it.

jimmydean012 getting the hang of it.

DeepVI hamming it up.

Overall it was a great end to a fun series of epic rides to re-open Samaniego Ridge. Many, many thanks to all the good folks that helped out with this project.
    Last edited by SunDog; 12-12-2010 at 02:49 PM.

"No Clue Crew"
    GREAT PHOTOS and GREAT WORK!!!!...........Drew

Scott in Tucson
    It's been quite a series of events/runs for your Louis. Without you this trail would still be totally forgotten and in neglect.

Well done.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Another great day on Sammie. Thanks to Louis,Scott and Steve for forging through the briers and brambles to mark the trail. And thanks to those who have bled from those devil bushes to clear the way. Definitely an epic adventure every time. Having too much fun and only snapped a few pics. Got to the Upper 50 just as the sun dipped below the horizon and ripped down to the "Chutes" in the rapidly waning twilight.

Members who have read this thread: 0