Thread: Sammie on fire.

caninus xerophilous

Sammie on fire.

Tuesday nights storm sparked a fire on the western side of Samaniego Ridge in the vacinity of the Slick Rock Lollipop trail/route (between Cherry Tank and Deer Camp). Looks like its at about 4000 ft elevation and spreading southward at the moment in the direction of Deer Camp.

Lotsa dried grass and dead brush up there. My guess is the USFS will let it burn. Deer Camp and the Cherry Tank Trail along the wash from Rattlesnake Canyon are threatened.

Louis

JJK
    AZ MTBR
    Hey Louis,

That is not good. We don't need anymore fires on our trails. Let's
    hope we have a safe summer...

Later,
    Johnny K

Drugstore Trailrider

Happy ending...

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog
    Tuesday nights storm sparked a fire on the western side of Samaniego Ridge in the vacinity of the Slick Rock Lollipop trail/route (between Cherry Tank and Deer Camp). Looks like its at about 4000 ft elevation and spreading southward at the moment in the direction of Deer Camp.

Lotsa dried grass and dead brush up there. My guess is the USFS will let it burn. Deer Camp and the Cherry Tank Trail along the wash from Rattlesnake Canyon are threatened.

Louis
    Louis, I decided to get in one more ride before heading for that mountain biking Mecca on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi. Went up the CP Trail at Golder Ranch to the Baby Jesus junction and got a good look at the fire. The USFS had a helicopter up there supporting four fire fighters working the site, and a crew of nine down at CSP as backup, but by 0900 hours it was effectively out. It was about .7 miles northeast of the Deer Camp and in the end only burned a very small area.

I snapped off my derailleur and had less than the trouble free ride I might have wanted, but it was still all good just to be out there. Check you later.

Papa John
    Body Armor--Don't Leave Home Without It!

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

No happy ending!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn
    Louis, I decided to get in one more ride before heading for that mountain biking Mecca on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi. Went up the CP Trail at Golder Ranch to the Baby Jesus junction and got a good look at the fire. The USFS had a helicopter up there supporting four fire fighters working the site, and a crew of nine down at CSP as backup, but by 0900 hours it was effectively out. It was about .7 miles northeast of the Deer Camp and in the end only burned a very small area.

Papa John
    I thought it was done, too. that spot is out, but a new spot is going a larger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! About half mile south from original spot. There is an air tanker

I'm heading up for pictures!!!!!!!

this shot was taken from my yard. About 2.5 miles MAX on a straight line
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

Saucy Size
    Oh hell.

You guys safe in there? I don't think I've ever seen a fire that low on the mountain before, not on that side.

LMK if you need anything!

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

suddenly serious

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Oh hell.

You guys safe in there? I don't think I've ever seen a fire that low on the mountain before, not on that side.

LMK if you need anything!

p.

there are tankers here, now

smoke is over middlegate.

I'm heading out in a couple minutes (put on shoes)

I'll have more in a few hours

I'm taking my cell, I can send pics with it, too.

thanks for the offer, but my place should be fine. If anything, it will blow down towards Sutherland Heights
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

Drugstore Trailrider
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.
    I thought it was done, too. that spot is out, but a new spot is going a larger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! About half mile south from original spot. There is an air tanker

I'm heading up for pictures!!!!!!!

this shot was taken from my yard. About 2.5 miles MAX on a straight line
    I stopped about 8:45am and spoke with the Ranger who was overseeing the crews where he was parked out on one of the cattle roads back toward the main cattle pens. He seemed quite satisfied that the crew of four had things under control.

I guess things can change fast, especially with the winds. Go put that fire out CJ!

John W.
    Body Armor--Don't Leave Home Without It!

caninus xerophilous

At least they are fighting it.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn
    I stopped about 8:45am and spoke with the Ranger who was overseeing the crews where he was parked out on one of the cattle roads back toward the main cattle pens. He seemed quite satisfied that the crew of four had things under control.

I guess things can change fast, especially with the winds. Go put that fire out CJ!

John W.

I had my eyes on that fire since about 10PM last night. At 5:30 AM I could see the winds fanning the flames and thought that if it reached the big bosque between Slickrock Lollipop and Deer Camp it could get dicey.

Also I noticed that after midnight it had began to burn westward as well. When I left for work at 6 AM it there were two distinct fire fronts, one burning south towards Deer Camp and one behind the ridgeline of the Rattlesnake Canyon Wash.

I am pretty familier with the topography in that area as it was one of my favorite places to ride. I can say that those fire fighters are earning their money dealing with the heat and topography in addition to the fire and the shifty winds.

That side of Sammie is a tinderbox and was due to burn soon, and dare I say needed it. Hopefully the resulting erosion won't be too bad. The sad thing is this could ultimately close off that part of the NF for a while.

Hope CJ gets some good pictures.

I am also considering aborting my Milagrosa Dusk Run for Golder Ranch Hellfire ride.

Louis

caninus xerophilous

Lol!

thanks for the offer, but my place should be fine. If anything, it will blow down towards Sutherland Heights
    If the fire gets down into the N-S washes it could spread anywhere, even Catalina Valley or whatever it is those wanna be home owners association tyrants are trying to dub your neck of the woods.

I wish I could have taken the day off to watch the fire, it will have wait until tonight.

Post up the fire recon pics ASAP!

caninus xerophilous

This just in from the fire front!

The fire worm is running amok.

Just got off the phone with CJ. He's was just up Rattlesnake Canyon Wash way watching the fire fighters do their thing on the western fire line, unfortunately Nature is winning. Like I said if the fire hits Sutherland Wash and Rattlesnake Canyon Wash and goes through Dynamite Canyon or down onto the High 50 and Deer Camp Loop it could get real whacky.

He just called me and said he relocated to the connector trail that goes to the Deer Camp Trail, and that southern fire line was continuing it's relentless advance towards Deer Camp Trail.

Guess I'll definately be doing some more fire watching tonight.

Another call at 2 PM: Major wind shiftage, winds reversing direction and blowing back into the fire. Thanks be to the afternoon windshifts! This phenomena also helped quell the advance of the Aspen fire two years ago. Hopefully it will help this time as well.

Also more hot shot's air assaulted onto the Slick Rock Lollipop. CJ sez he has some awsome photos.
    Last edited by SunDog; 06-22-2005 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Update!

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDog
    The fire worm is running amok.

Just got off the phone with CJ. He's was just up Rattlesnake Canyon Wash way watching the fire fighters do their thing on the western fire line, unfortunately Nature is winning. Like I said if the fire hits Sutherland Wash and Rattlesnake Canyon Wash and goes through Dynamite Canyon or down onto the High 50 and Deer Camp Loop it could get real whacky.

He just called me and said he relocated to the connector trail that goes to the Deer Camp Trail, and that southern fire line was continuing it's relentless advance towards Deer Camp Trail.

Guess I'll definately be doing some more fire watching tonight.

Another call at 2 PM: Major wind shiftage, winds reversing direction and blowing back into the fire. Thanks be to the afternoon windshifts! This phenomena also helped quell the advance of the Aspen fire two years ago. Hopefully it will help this time as well.

Also more hot shot's air assaulted onto the Slick Rock Lollipop. CJ sez he has some awsome photos.
    just rode in, literally

I'll post pics soon
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

picture

just rode in, literally

I'll post pics soon

first picture
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

Fire Retardant

twin engine "dc-3" size

note the hotshot crew member on the slickrock, left
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

couple more pics

twin engine "dc-3" size

note the hotshot crew member on the slickrock, left

a few more
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

caninus xerophilous

Damage not too bad.

Nice pics, looks like you were pretty darn close.

Last night I rode parts of Deer Camp, CP, the Deer Camp connector, Rattlesnake Canyon wash, and Deer Camp Loop.

The Deer Camp Loop, the CP Trail, and the Rattle Snake Canyon Wash (trail to Cherry Tank) are all intact and should remain unscathed. The fire petered out about 75 feet from the RSC-DC connector trail sparing it as well. Things should remain the same unless we loose our cooler weather today and the winds don't get squirrely again.

Looks like the upper portion of Deer Camp Trail was buned as well as all of SlickRock Lollipop. The fire had not quite reached Deer Camp proper by my estimation, but it will likely do so today. From what I saw it was pretty much a healthy low intensity burn.

So all in all not too bad thanks to the fire fighters.

Saucy Size
    Awesome pix, CJ. Really amazing stuff. Wish I could have seen them on my phone! :-)

Glad to hear the trails aren't too badly damaged.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.