Salsa Fargo- Mtbr.com

Thread: Salsa Fargo

Tucson, AZ

Salsa Fargo

I saw this the other day while at work...among the amenities are 6 water bottle cages. Looks sweet.

Both frame and fork offers gobs of tire clearance. Run pavement friendly 700c x 35mm rubber, or throw on some big 29 x 2.4" meat.

mtbr member
    Nerd Bike!

mtbr member
    Whoah! I Typed My Last Post In All Caps Cause I Was Shouting, As Clearly Indicated By My Exclamation Mark! I Am Being Censored! Noooooooo!

Tucson, AZ
    Think commuting in style (for those that cannot afford the moots version of the commuter for $8k)...now is the time to commute in case you have not read the paper....we are in crisis so now is the time to commute.

That said, I am a nerd and I bet I can beat you down Millie on one of these (that was in all caps too when I wrote it).

Elitest thrill junkie
    Holy crap, that's perfect! Then I can throw the bottles away into the street as I finish them! What will they think of next? You know what would be cool..some sort of way to carry water on your person, then you could drink while you ride without having to have your hands around a great big bottle or get mud and grime on it. I'll keep wishing away for the day when that comes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Tucson, AZ
    Mud...where do you live? This is the AZ forum.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    I saw this the other day while at work...among the amenities are 6 water bottle cages. Looks sweet.

Both frame and fork offers gobs of tire clearance. Run pavement friendly 700c x 35mm rubber, or throw on some big 29 x 2.4" meat.
    forget the pansies in this thread. This bike kick ass, it harkens to a day when mountain biking was all about epic. Load up your gear in your backpack, throw as much h2o as possible on your bike and hit the trails and roads. Adventure with no time frame.

So much about mountain biking is time limited now. You get in a 2 hour ride, throw in a 4 hour epic, go on a 7 hour death march, race a 24 hr race. With this bike there is no time limit.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    forget the pansies in this thread. This bike kick ass, it harkens to a day when mountain biking was all about epic. Load up your gear in your backpack, throw as much h2o as possible on your bike and hit the trails and roads. Adventure with no time frame.

So much about mountain biking is time limited now. You get in a 2 hour ride, throw in a 4 hour epic, go on a 7 hour death march, race a 24 hr race. With this bike there is no time limit.

It is on my short list!

Plus size jersey model
    Think commuting in style (for those that cannot afford the moots version of the commuter for $8k)...now is the time to commute in case you have not read the paper....we are in crisis so now is the time to commute.

That said, I am a nerd and I bet I can beat you down Millie on one of these (that was in all caps too when I wrote it).
    Nerds are not aloud on Millie there only aloud on Greenie.

Scott in Tucson
    Cross bike? Where do you live? This is the AZ forum... ever heard of rocks?

Looks like a great commuter and dirt road bike (Over the Lemmon anyone?). But,
    I'll take your challenge on Millie any day.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Krein
    Cross bike? Where do you live? This is the AZ forum... ever heard of rocks?

Looks like a great commuter and dirt road bike (Over the Lemmon anyone?). But,
    I'll take your challenge on Millie any day.

cross bike? Where do you get that? This is an epic all day 29er with 2.3 WTB exiwolfs plus that that super 29er advantage. This thing is the do everything Uni-Mog of the bike world.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member

Chad, are you familiar with the Great Divide Race (https://www.greatdividerace.com/)? Really neat article about it in Outside Mag a couple months, complete with pics. Most of the riders had some form of this type of bike (most were jerry rigged). This race looks like it would be right up your alley.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    cross bike? Where do you get that? This is an epic all day 29er with 2.3 WTB exiwolfs plus that that super 29er advantage. This thing is the do everything Uni-Mog of the bike world.
    Rigid fork, drop bars. Looks like a cross bike to me.

Hats off to people that ride rigid bikes down here in AZ. Call me a pansy (you wouldn't be the first), but it's not for me.

Racks are great for commuting, but for bikepacking I much prefer the rackless approach.

This will all be settled soon enough when Chad and I race down millie. Behemoth vs. Fargo.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by sikwoodbiker
    Nerds are not aloud on Millie there only aloud on Greenie.
    Actually, I hear that nerds go up both Greenie and Millie rather than the conventional down.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Krein
    This will all be settled soon enough when Chad and I race down millie. Behemoth vs. Fargo.
    Oh, did I say down? I meant race up millie.....and it's on!

Scott in Tucson
    Oh, did I say down? I meant race up millie.....and it's on!
    Challenge accepted.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have no idea how anyone can look at that and think it's a commuter or a cyclocross bike. Does your commute take you across Mongolia? Does you cyclocross course do laps around the Gobi and run-ups over the Rockies?

I dig this bike. I saw it at Interbike and really thought it was well thought out. The guy working the booth said, "those who get it, get it. Those who don't never will." I'd say that sums it up. It's like the love child between a Karate Monkey and a Long Haul Trucker. Awesome.

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverbiker
    I have no idea how anyone can look at that and think it's a commuter or a cyclocross bike. Does your commute take you across Mongolia? Does you cyclocross course do laps around the Gobi and run-ups over the Rockies?

I dig this bike. I saw it at Interbike and really thought it was well thought out. The guy working the booth said, "those who get it, get it. Those who don't never will." I'd say that sums it up. It's like the love child between a Karate Monkey and a Long Haul Trucker. Awesome.

I'm mostly just ribbing Chad. Because, well, he deserves it.

That said, I've done a few long rides in my day and this bike is emphatically not what I would want for any of them. Not even the Great Divide MTB route (toured it in '04, raced in '05), and that was the most tame of all of them.

Everyone's different, though. For some this might be the perfect bike to get out on some long adventures. Awesome, I say.

Master Gardener
    What's the supposed advantage of drop bars over mountain bars? I just wouldn't want to ride drop bars through singletrack, particularly descending.

Interesting bike.

Professional Amateur
    I like it. I don't know as though I would want to carry 6 bottles over a few bottles and a bladder, but maybe I need to have that option before I can decide. Looks like it is ~$1800 built or ~$600 for frame and fork. I was thinking of building up a do-it-all commuter/touring bike, looks like this is a candidate although too rich for my blood (champagne taste on a beer budget)

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    What's the supposed advantage of drop bars over mountain bars? I just wouldn't want to ride drop bars through singletrack, particularly descending.
    Some are able to slay techy trail with drop bars (Rudi comes to mind). But they aren't for everyone, including me.

Advantages? Aerodynamics on roads... (I'll pass on that)? Having multiple hand positions is a good thing for long rides. Bar ends work too, though...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverbiker
    I
    The guy working the booth said, "those who get it, get it. Those who don't never will."
    Well...we don't "get it" because we have jobs and can't ride for like 3 months at a time.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

In the rear with the beer
    I guess you must have finished the TOWM before 3pm on saturday...I learned the hard way that AZ has plenty of mud...and its still falling of my bike (and car) today....
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Master Gardener
    When AZ has mud, it's the worst kinda mud, IME.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Well...we don't "get it" because we have jobs and can't ride for like 3 months at a time.
    That would explain your tan.

mtbr member
    Yo Dave!

Members who have read this thread: 0