safe road commute from SoMo to AZ Mills area- Mtbr.com
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004

safe road commute from SoMo to AZ Mills area

I'm going to be in town next week for a class and my roadie will be my transportation.

I'm staying with a friend on the SW corner of SoMo and need to ride about 15miles NE to the AZ Mills area. Can anyone recommend a relatively safe route?

I've seen ton's of roadies Chandler and Pecos on previous trips, but Pecos seems a little sketchy to me because of the high speeds. What makes things worse is that I'll likely be riding right at sunrise and sunset so I'm guessing that an East-West road, especially considering my direction of travel and time, isn't the safest option. No offence to you guys on the board, but drivers around Phoenix are some of the most erratic and dangerous drivers I've seen anywhere in the country.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

mtbr member
    May 2004

Kathleen in AZ
    From western Ahwatukee/Foothills area, head east on Chandler and turn left onto Ray at the Chandler/Ray loop. Turn left at the stoplight at W Ranch Circle and then take another left onto 36th St. Go thru one 4-way stop, then turn right at the next stop sign onto Equestrian. Take a left at the stoplight onto Elliot then turn left onto 48th St. Stay on 48th St, slide thru the round-about and 3 stop signs then turn right on Baseline - stay on the sidewalk!! Go under the freeway and AZ Mills is on your left. The short section on Baseline will be the most hazardous... just about everywhere else that I described (except some of 48th st) has a bike lane. Where the bike lanes are lacking, I just ride on the sidewalk.

If you bring your mountain bike instead of your skinny tires, you can have even more fun by taking trails almost the whole way!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    With respect to durtgurl her route is good up until the round abouts then I'd change it because baseline is SKETCHY when there's traffic and you can get there without it. Basically get on 48th as she's described (thats the best way), but turn right onto Guadalupe. This takes you over I-10. Once over I-10 you can either turn left at the first light or go a block down and turn left on Hardy. It has a bike lane and is a laid back street. I use it to ride to Tempe everyday. Then take a left on Cornel, it turns into Beck, this will drop you off right in front of az mills.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by jtotheosh
    With respect to durtgurl her route is good up until the round abouts then I'd change it because baseline is SKETCHY when there's traffic and you can get there without it. Basically get on 48th as she's described (thats the best way), but turn right onto Guadalupe. This takes you over I-10. Once over I-10 you can either turn left at the first light or go a block down and turn left on Hardy. It has a bike lane and is a laid back street. I use it to ride to Tempe everyday. Then take a left on Cornel, it turns into Beck, this will drop you off right in front of az mills.
    Yea.. that route is probably better I like turning at the light once over I-10 and riding thru downtown Guadalupe - it's colorful, cultural and traffic is never faster than 25. I would classify it as much less hazardous than the short stretch on Baseline between 48th and Priest!

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    I think baseline between 36th street and priest is the scariest road in the metro area. I've almost been hit several times near that damn MTX factory.

My other least favorite street is Northern between 7th st. and 19th ave. I took that once instead of hte canal path and thought I was gonna die.

Members who have read this thread: 0