Sad day Happy Day- Mtbr.com
    Occidental Tourist

Sad day Happy Day

Sad news - after 5 years the team issue diamondback frams has finally cracked.....had some good times on that bike

Happy News- the CFO approved the purchase of a Kona Explosif
    Attached Images Attached Images

Glutton for punishment
    Hey, you know the new Explosif (at least the frame only version) has replaceable and adjustable dropouts so you can experiment with the whole SS thing too if you like.

It's nice when the CFO oks new bike stuff, but at my house I have to buy some for her too while I'm at it. Oh the trials and travails of having a bike loving spouse!

Sn

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottN
    Hey, you know the new Explosif (at least the frame only version) has replaceable and adjustable dropouts so you can experiment with the whole SS thing too if you like.

It's nice when the CFO oks new bike stuff, but at my house I have to buy some for her too while I'm at it. Oh the trials and travails of having a bike loving spouse!

Sn
    I'm actually planning on takng my DB frame back to FWB in Tucson so they can ship it back to DB and I was thingking of converting what DB sends into an SS. The CFO didn't let me escape unscathed - she now gets a trip to the Windy City. Luckily she just had her first mtb ride in a few years so her bike is still nice and shiny and she is not in want of any new parts. It also helps that my bday is tomorrow.

mtbr member
    No ****? Sorry to hear that, and glad to hear that.

I am Doctor Remulak
    So Scott, did you pick up a new Kona frame yet?

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    No ****? Sorry to hear that, and glad to hear that.
    Guess it's good I didn't ride with ya last night - this coulda gone down a whole lot different. Course I GOTTA go ride tonight and test our the new ride.

mtbr member
    You got it already? Talk about a spontanous purchase. Let me know how it rides.

Was the crack more noticable after Saturday's ride?

I ran into our buddy last night: about a 3 ft long rattler just east of the t100 trail head at DD. Was biking along, minding my own biz when the thing started rattling. I pulled over to let Autumn know to stay to the left, and at the same time, a couple hikers came from the east. One was talking on her cell, and I yelled to Autumn, watch out for the snake. The hiker said, "I have to get off the phone now. I'll call you right back." Probably pretty smart :-)

It made my ride back to the parking lot fun though. "****, what was that? A snake?"

Steep Hill

Congratulations!

Sounds like your beloved bike fought the good fight, so may it RIP.

Looks like this pic is Amassa Back in Moab....Am I right?
    ** Obey gravity. It's the law. **

Occidental Tourist
    You got it already? Talk about a spontanous purchase. Let me know how it rides.

Was the crack more noticable after Saturday's ride?

I ran into our buddy last night: about a 3 ft long rattler just east of the t100 trail head at DD. Was biking along, minding my own biz when the thing started rattling. I pulled over to let Autumn know to stay to the left, and at the same time, a couple hikers came from the east. One was talking on her cell, and I yelled to Autumn, watch out for the snake. The hiker said, "I have to get off the phone now. I'll call you right back." Probably pretty smart :-)

It made my ride back to the parking lot fun though. "****, what was that? A snake?"
    I'm an instant gratificatin kinda guy and the thought of not being able to ride this week was just too much. Yea the crack was worse and I figured if I "retired" it now I could still get some mileage out of it on the canals with Tate in the Burley.
    So it Autum ever going to night ride with you again?
    I saw one of the guys we rode with last weekend (name escapes me as they usually do) he had bad pivots on his bike and was getting new bushings.
    It happens that the Pig has a wednesday night ride so if I don't like the bike I can berate them the whole ride..

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by AZClydesdale
    Sounds like your beloved bike fought the good fight, so may it RIP.

Looks like this pic is Amassa Back in Moab....Am I right?
    Amassa it is. The bike will be turned out to pasture (read: Canal time)until I can get it down to Tucson to see if I can get the frame warrantied

Gimme dat!!

Where?

Mine cracked in the linkage just behind the BB...

I kept riding it for two years after that happened and only just replaced it with an Ibis Mojo.

Menny
    Last edited by Menny; 04-14-2004 at 04:25 PM. Reason: add pic

Gimme dat!!

In addition...

...Diamondback offered to replace the frame with an Apex frame...it was a POS. Good luck getting anything out of them.

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by Menny
    Mine cracked in the linkage just behind the BB...

I kept riding it for two years after that happened and only just replaced it with an Ibis Mojo.

Menny
    WOW- that is the first time I've ever seen anyone else with the same fram e- mine cracked in the same spot - it was the upper and lower linkages in the middle of the machined part. I actually got that frame from them when I broke one of their WCFs. Hopefully my old shop can fight with them for me

Gimme dat!!
    the funny thing is that after that happened i tried to get something done with the bike and the company was giving me a crap story and the frame that was going to replace it was garbage...i held onto the DBR and tried not to ride it but it just kept getting put back into service, first because my other frame was out of commission and then cause my backup bike got stolen...at that point it became my backup bike full time and then got moved to fulltime when i ovalized a head tube.

the bottom line is that i was amazed at what that bike went through...especially after it broke. that above pic is on porqupine rim and i used to live in phoenix and spent many hours on south mountain (that is where the break occurred) but the frame held out. just before retirement, that was my only ride and it was built up as a singlespeed with an ENO hub on it. everyone who rode that bike just raved about it and even now, as it sits in my garage people are trying to get it out of my hands but i will not part with that frame because i can't help but think that i will need it again someday.

Occidental Tourist
    Hmm will if you still rode it for 2 years I may just keep it as my city bike and not deal with DB. Did DB let you keep the old frame and sent you a replacement? I was thinking and I actually did see this frame once before out at an MBAA race at White tanks some 4-5 years ago. Any chance that was you?

mtbr member
    Will you quit talking about your old bike, and let us know what you think of the new one :-)

Occidental Tourist
    Will you quit talking about your old bike, and let us know what you think of the new one :-)
    Its pretty sweet - I need to get a different stem so I'm lower and out more but going from alum to steel is quite different. And as a new bike it just feels less loose. It was kinda strange taking the inagural ride at night but i love it. I went on the Pig's weekly night ride and was schooled by part time roadies....and ate a few moths

Gimme dat!!

Not me...

...the only racing I did in my time in AZ was a triathlon at Rocky Point. I spent less than a year there working before moving to Vegas for law school.

I never did end up dealing with Diamondback on account that they wanted to keep the frame and give me a new Apex frame. This was a couple of years ago and I don't even know what they have now as far as models but that one was a POS. I do recall that they were not very inclined to work with me and were pushing the LBS to say that I was being disingenuous. I was not pleased with Diamondback but I loved that bike. It was a very stiff ride and worked great as a singlespeed. I did have to run a thudbuster with it so I could do big rides back to back.

BTW, I have never seen another DBR out there other than one that the LBS owner used where I got mine. Also, triathlons are gay.

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    I'm actually planning on takng my DB frame back to FWB in Tucson so they can ship it back to DB and I was thingking of converting what DB sends into an SS. The CFO didn't let me escape unscathed - she now gets a trip to the Windy City. Luckily she just had her first mtb ride in a few years so her bike is still nice and shiny and she is not in want of any new parts. It also helps that my bday is tomorrow.
    Well it only took me 6 months to take my old broken DB in. The good news is that DB is going to warranty the frame and give me this......Not sure what I think yet and it's no Ibis Mojo but it beats a cracked frame and since this is actually the third frame I've gotten from them I'll just deal.. I'll bump this thread up again in another 6 months when I finally convert it to an SS...

Ouch, I am hot!
    Sad news - after 5 years the team issue diamondback frams has finally cracked.....had some good times on that bike

Happy News- the CFO approved the purchase of a Kona Explosif
    Dude, repeat after me - Full Suspension. Its 2004. All kidding aside, dude, can you say full suspension. No, just kidding. Who am I to talk. Nice bike.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Dude, repeat after me - Full Suspension. Its 2004. All kidding aside, dude, can you say full suspension. No, just kidding. Who am I to talk. Nice bike.
    Fffuull Sussusu - dammit I can't! Must be slack-jaw gubberment employee syndrome. The news ain't the Kona it's the Topanga that will be morphed into an SS until the frame cracks...

Ouch, I am hot!
    Fffuull Sussusu - dammit I can't! Must be slack-jaw gubberment employee syndrome. The news ain't the Kona it's the Topanga that will be morphed into an SS until the frame cracks...
    Dude, can you say G-E-A-R-S. Just what we need. More hardtailing single speeding hooligans using mad bike skills instead of technology. My god man, I think I need to move to Greenland or something to get away from all this. The horror. If Bush wins on top of this news, this will truly be a sad day for me.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    When my Mongoose SS finally cracked, I looked into getting it warrantied...

However, when I saw what they wanted to use for a replacement frame, I decided it had more value as a garage wall ornament/conversational piece, than the POS frame they offered to exchange it for.