RR: Tour Divide '19- Mtbr.com
    DFL>DNF>DNS

RR: Tour Divide '19

This is going to be a work in progress. The first post kinda sets the stage, then each subsequent post will be a daily recap that I'll add to this thread.

Divide Prelude

RR: Tour Divide '19-bikepackingdotcom.jpg
    Binary Bicycles Havok Ti 29er

RR: Tour Divide '19-td_maplabeled.jpg
    Route: North to South with Trackleaders labeled checkpoints
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Subscribed, Mr. Schilling! Reading about what it took just to get to the starting line makes your ride all the more impressive. Awed by your grit and determination.
    Veni vidi velo!

My other ride is your mom
    Seconded

DFL>DNF>DNS
    It sure seemed like the stars kept aligning to tell me not to go, but there was no way I wasn't giving it a go after all the crap my wife & I had been through. It was such a huge sense of relief when we arrived at the condo in Canmore and the bike was all put together. From there all I had to do was ride. Seemed easy.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thank you for your time, effort and posts, at 72 I take every vicarious ride I can get, enjoy all your posts, life is short and oh so sweet.
    Thanks again...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What an effort John. I wish it would have worked out for you to make it to AW, but for whatever reason... sometimes life has different plans. As always, I'm super stoked to read about everything and I hope your healing/recovery is coming along nicely. Can't wait to hear about some of this in person.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Sorry things didn't work out for you. Such a bummer.

How do you like the Lauf fork?

If anyone is interested in what racing was like on the front end of the 2018 Tour Divide, I can recommend the book "Just Ride: Racing 2,725 Miles to Mexico". I found it to be a gripping account of the race, and like schillingsworth, the author Ty Hopkins suffered terrible saddle sores--as well as other physical issues. The author is some kind of exercise scientist, and he took urine samples every day, and after the TD his team analyzed the samples. The book includes discussions of the results as well as other interesting medical tidbits throughout the book. 5/5 stars.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    Sorry things didn't work out for you. Such a bummer.

How do you like the Lauf fork?

If anyone is interested in what racing was like on the front end of the 2018 Tour Divide, I can recommend the book "Just Ride: Racing 2,725 Miles to Mexico". I found it to be a gripping account of the race, and like schillingsworth, the author Ty Hopkins suffered terrible saddle sores--as well as other physical issues. The author is some kind of exercise scientist, and he took urine samples every day, and after the TD his team analyzed the samples. The book includes discussions of the results as well as other interesting medical tidbits throughout the book. 5/5 stars.
    Thanks, man. The Lauf fork was fantastic for this route. It really helped ease the punishment from the washboard sections and there were a lot of them!! I wouldn't use it for trail riding around here, not what it's designed for. But if you like the gravel grinder series and the like, I'd highly recommend it.

As for Ty's book, I read it and used quite a few tidbits during the ride. It's a fantastic read, one of those books that's hard to put down. He has a great writing style and mixes in plenty of humorous moments, mostly at his own expense!! Ty is lining up for the Colorado Trail Race at the end of the month, stacked field BTW, so that will be a fun one to watch. 5/5 me too!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

TOP TIER LURKER
    John, let us know. Was it the ride and challenge of a lifetime?
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    I rode 20 miles of the CDT from Targhee Pass today. I am in awe of your accomplishment!

mtbr member
    Congrats, John! I was there watching live as your dot arrived at BML, and CS's dot crossed the finish line at Antelope Wells not much more than 15 minutes later. Fine day for the Arizonans! I've been watching daily from the start. Now just hoping that Hal Russell stays ahead of the 30-day flag. So sorry that you were forced to scratch in Salida. Seemed that you were fully prepared, both physically and mentally. There's just no overcoming ailments that show up out of nowhere and take you out. Josh Kato can surely speak to that. Thanks so much for all the updates and content. You got lots of daily coverage on the DotWatcher site. I look forward to all the upcoming entries to your blog. Heal well.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    As for Ty's book, I read it and used quite a few tidbits during the ride. It's a fantastic read, one of those books that's hard to put down. He has a great writing style and mixes in plenty of humorous moments, mostly at his own expense!! Ty is lining up for the Colorado Trail Race at the end of the month, stacked field BTW, so that will be a fun one to watch. 5/5 me too!!
    Well, then you knew what you were in for! Heal up quick and get back out there--we want to see pictures of what the TD spits out at Antelope Wells.

Hey, Josh Kato is a nurse and he carries a special kit for saddle sores. He said it's the same stuff that hospitals use for bed sores.

“Butt Kit” – A&D ointment, clotrimazole antifungal cream, benzoyl peroxide ointment, alcohol hand sanitizer, wet-wipes (this care-kit often resided in my seatbag)
    It was in his gear list when he won the TD. He describes how he used the ointments in the comments. Maybe it will be useful for Round 2??!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Day 1 recap is up.

Canmore to Round Prairie

RR: Tour Divide '19-day01.jpg
    Blackshale Creek suspension bridge.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Great read, John. Kudos to you for putting in the effort something like the Tour Divide demands. Bummer you were derailed, but still amazing!
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The Canadian Rockies really blew away my expectations.
    My god! Stunning images.

Blackshale Creek suspension bridge.
    So awesome.

My camp spot for the night at Round Prairie.
    Beautiful.

This would be the only night I slightly regretted not pushing later into the night.
    Hike-a-bike up Koko Claims. In the dark(or is it light until midnight up there?). In bear country. Eeeeek!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    My god! Stunning images.

So awesome.

Beautiful.

Hike-a-bike up Koko Claims. In the dark(or is it light until midnight up there?). In bear country. Eeeeek!
    Thanks!! Sunset up on the far northern part of the route was around 9:50p, didn't need lights until after 10:30p!! Took a few days to get used to that. As you'll find out in later posts, I did my share of solo night riding in Grizzly country. Two notorious passes in particular.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I did my share of solo night riding in Grizzly country. Two notorious passes in particular.
    I read about a TD rider who contacted a bear expert to get advice about riding in bear country. The expert advised, "1) Carry bear spray; 2) Don't ride by yourself in bear country; 3) Don't ride at night in bear country. The TD rider replied, "How about 1 out of 3??!"

mtbr member
    I read about a TD rider who contacted a bear expert to get advice about riding in bear country. The expert advised, "1) Carry bear spray; 2) Don't ride by yourself in bear country; 3) Don't ride at night in bear country. The TD rider replied, "How about 1 out of 3??!"
    I carry bear spray and ride solo in bear country every summer. Never at night though. Guess bears don't hunker down at night? They don't see too good and depend on their sense of smell. But I would imagine schillingsworth was pretty ripe

DFL>DNF>DNS
    TD '19: Day 2 recap

Round Prairie to Harvey Pass

RR: Tour Divide '19-day02.jpg
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    TD '19: Day 2 recap
    Awesomeness! Keep 'em coming. Wildly interesting for us dotwatchers who have been riveted to the event over the last 30 days. Fantastic photos and commentary!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Day 3 recap:

Harvey Pass to Grave Creek CG

RR: Tour Divide '19-day03.jpg
    USA!! USA!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Nice writeups. I like the punch card concept. There has to be few dozen of them on a ride like this?

I am Walt
    I can’t get over the pics...unreal scenery, and that phone takes amazing pictures!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    TD '19: Day 4

Grave Creek CG to Ferndale

RR: Tour Divide '19-day04.jpg
    Red Meadow Lake
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Subscribed.

Indeed - the pictures are amazing. What camera or phone?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by connolm View Post
    Subscribed.

Indeed - the pictures are amazing. What camera or phone?
    Thanks!! All pics were taken on my phone: Google Pixel 3A
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Day 5 recap:

Ferndale to Seeley Lake

RR: Tour Divide '19-day05.jpg
    Holland Lake
    My Two Schillingsworth

Meatbomb
    Impressive!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    So good...

mtbr member
    Old Lady in the Shoe house, awesome. I can relate - once had a grid of painted road surface lines morph into a shopping cart in the middle of the road when driving home from a long alpine climb (I slammed on the brakes, eliciting a groggy WTF from my sleeping climbing partner). I was about 2.5 hours from the closest grocery store.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharp-End View Post
    Old Lady in the Shoe house, awesome. I can relate - once had a grid of painted road surface lines morph into a shopping cart in the middle of the road when driving home from a long alpine climb (I slammed on the brakes, eliciting a groggy WTF from my sleeping climbing partner). I was about 2.5 hours from the closest grocery store.
    Oh man, that's crazy. Glad I've never had that experience while driving.

BTW, your avatar looks familiar...
    RR: Tour Divide '19-img_20190612_120419.jpg
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Day 6 recap:

Seeley Lake to Llama Farm

RR: Tour Divide '19-day06.jpg
    Backside of Stemple Pass
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    John,

Thank you for providing the day to day blog of this journey. I always enjoy your trip reports and blogs. Bummed that you had to drop out but it sounds like you went to superhuman limits before making that decision...such an incredible journey you took!!! Enjoyed following your dot!!!!

I've got kind of a goofy question for you. I see in your blog (and other riders blogs) where you've taken pictures of your rig at some of the places you stopped. During a race like this when you make longer stops at places like restaurants in a little bit bigger towns (thinking of the Taphouse in Whitefish or the Wheel In in Lincoln pics you posted) what do you do with your bike. Do you leave it outside and have a lock, bring it in or leave it outside unlocked?

As you know, you can't leave anything here in Phoenix unattended even for a minute otherwise it'll be gone. I know that a lot of the smaller towns I've visited seem to have a more trusting vib but I just can't help but think someone's gonna try to nab my rig.

Pretty sure I'd be fine leaving it outside in Ovando though. :-)

Thx again for sharing your journey with us!!!

DC
    I may not be very fast...but I sure am slow!!!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    DC,
    You pretty much nailed it. Coming from the Phoenix area, I don't trust anyone when it comes to my unattended bike. I had a small lock, an old one I used for skiing. Looks like Kryptonite makes a new similar model. I just needed something to prevent the casual walk-by theft. You were also correct on your guesses, I locked it in Whitefish & Lincoln & didn't worry one bit in Ovando!! Heck, it was on the webcam!!

Thanks for following along. I'm already getting excited to finish what I started next year.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Cool...thx for the confirmation/info.

I'm sure you'll knock the rest of that journey out of the park!!!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

DFL>DNF>DNS
    If anyone is interested in hearing more about the ride, asking questions and seeing more pics, I'll be giving a Tour Divide (Salida version) Q&A presentation this coming Friday, August 2nd at Freeride Bike Co. from 6:30p - 8:30p Please RSVP here as the fine folks at Freeride will be providing pizza, just bring your beverage of choice. I'll have my loaded rig so you can see my setup.

Freeride Bike Co. - Old Town Higley, 3143 E Williams Field Rd, Gilbert, AZ 85295

Hope to see a few of you there.

I'm also working on another presentation in Cave Creek at Flat Tire Bike Shop, time/date TBD.
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Day 7 recap:

Llama farm to Basin

RR: Tour Divide '19-day07.jpg
    Silver Saddle bar in Basin, MT.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Nice bike camping! I was road touring one time, and it was around 6pm, and I was out of food, but I was within an hour of a town where I could resupply. The ACA maps routed me off the main road, along a route that would take me longer to get to town, and I debated whether to stay on the main road, which was good riding, but I decided to follow the less direct route into town because the ACA side routes always had great scenery and secluded riding.

After a few miles, the ACA route changed from pavement to soft dirt/gravel, and I was lamenting my decision to take the longer route into town. As I struggled up a hill on the soft gravel road, I looked to my left and there was a little sign sitting on the ground beside the road that said: Bike Hostel. I would usually ride until 10pm at least, so I rode past the sign, but then I reconsidered. I decided I should check out the bike hostel so that I could report on it to provide information for other riders passing through the area. So, I turned around, and at the Bike Hostel sign I turned down a dirt driveway, and I rode about 100 yards to a house. I walked up to the front door and I knocked. No answer. I knocked again. No answer.

I walked around the outside of the house looking for someone, but I couldn't see anyone. I went back to the front door, and I knocked again. No answer. I tried the door knob, and it was open. I timidly cracked open the door, and I called out "Hello?". No answer. I could see a paper sign taped to the wall just inside the door, so I opened the door and I walked in. The paper taped to the wall said, "Welcome to the Bike Hostel! There's no charge. There are cleaning supplies in the closet. Please leave the hostel as clean as you found it!"

I walked down the entrance hallway, and there were 2 bedroom doors on either side of the hallway. Three of the rooms had beds with bare mattresses, and one room had a bunch of clothing and personal items in it, so it appeared to be occupied--but no one was around. The two bathrooms with showers were spotless and gleaming white. I walked to the end of the entrance hallway, and it opened up into a living room with a kitchen on the right. The living room had a nice deck off the back, and another sign said to feel free to use the TV and watch any of the DVDs, and if there was fruit in the basket in the kitchen to help myself.

I decided I had to stay for the night. I took stock of my food, and I had a little rice and three power bars. The fruit basket in the kitchen was empty. Not much to eat, but it would have to do. I unloaded my bike and I locked it to a railing near the front door. Then I moved my panniers into one of the rooms. I went into the kitchen, and I munched on my power bars while I cooked the rice. After eating, I took a nice hot shower in a sparkling clean bathroom. At some point, the other occupant showed up, and I asked him what the deal was with the Bike Hostel. He said his parents owned the house, but they moved into another house about 100 yards down the dirt driveway, and they turned this house into a bike hostel. I was incredulous. I asked him if his parents did a lot of touring. He said they had never done any touring!

When you've been on the road for a few weeks, a bed, a hot shower, and a clean bathroom is the most amazing luxury!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Day 8 recap: Basin to Wise River

RR: Tour Divide '19-day08.jpg
    Into the storm
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Day 9 recap: Wise River to Montana High Country Lodge

RR: Tour Divide '19-day09.jpg
    Can't miss this place!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS
    My Two Schillingsworth

Meatbomb
    Sounds like day 10 was a good day.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Sounds like day 10 was a good day.
    It sure was. Amazing what you can do when you're well rested, the conditions are prime and you really don't have a care in the world at the moment. Things would change in a hurry however...
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Day 11: Lima Reservoir to Warm River CG

RR: Tour Divide '19-day11.jpg
    Adios Montana!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ha! Good to see that the GWT offers disappointment in multiple states.

You definitely got your fill of scenery on this trip. Love the pics. If this were on trails instead of roads I would have to ride it. Just can't get into the whole gravel grinding thing though.

mtbr member
    Funny, a now-retired co-worker was trying to tell me about this "Great Western Trail" I should check out as a bike ride. I told him I'd been on parts of it in a few places, and being a dirt road that I had no desire to go ride more of it. "No, it's a trail." Yeah, OK. For reference, he rides an ATV.

I'm with you Jeff. I'll ride the TD when I'm retired and have all kinds of free time. These days there's no way I could bring myself to resist detours onto tasty singletrack nearby. Day 11 goes tantalizingly close to the CDT Centennial mountains and the bike-endangered Lionhead. See days 2, 3, 4 from last fall's TR https://forums.mtbr.com/idaho-montan...n-1089749.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Funny, a now-retired co-worker was trying to tell me about this "Great Western Trail" I should check out as a bike ride. I told him I'd been on parts of it in a few places, and being a dirt road that I had no desire to go ride more of it. "No, it's a trail." Yeah, OK. For reference, he rides an ATV.

I'm with you Jeff. I'll ride the TD when I'm retired and have all kinds of free time. These days there's no way I could bring myself to resist detours onto tasty singletrack nearby. Day 11 goes tantalizingly close to the CDT Centennial mountains and the bike-endangered Lionhead. See days 2, 3, 4 from last fall's TR https://forums.mtbr.com/idaho-montan...n-1089749.html
    hmmm, I'm eye-balling the Centennials but shuttling up Keg Springs Rd and then CDT up and over the peak you mentioned in your post and then down Taylor Creek. One of these days but might be back up to ride some more in the Lionhead later in August.

Meatbomb
    Living in the valley, how do you train/acclimate to riding at such high altitudes?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Living in the valley, how do you train/acclimate to riding at such high altitudes?
    For the Divide, the route doesn't really start all that high, 4300'. You gradually gain elevation along the way and get acclimated during the ride. Most of the time you're just going over a pass and dropping right back down. It's not like the Colorado Trail Race where you spend 20+ continuous miles above 12k. With that said, Mt. Ord is a great training ride and close to the Valley. Another good one is the Crown King Rd. climb. Prescott has ideal conditions for Divide training. I just didn't have time to get up there.
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Day 12 recap: Warm River CG to Togwotee Pass

RR: Tour Divide '19-day12.jpg
    The magnificent Grand Tetons
    My Two Schillingsworth

Meatbomb
    RIP Thebes.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Day 13 recap: Togwotee Pass to Cora

RR: Tour Divide '19-day13.jpg
    Pinnacle Buttes from Brooks Lake Rd.
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Day 14 recap: Cora to Atlantic City

RR: Tour Divide '19-day14.jpg
    Lander Cutoff Rd.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Meatbomb
    A whole lot of nuthin' in that part of the country.... Nice report.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Day 15: Atlantic City to Wamsutter

RR: Tour Divide '19-day15.jpg
    The Great Basin
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Really enjoying your adventure, John
    you're lucky enough.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Thanks azjonboy, here's another:

TD '19: Day 16 - Wamsutter to Brush Mountain Lodge

RR: Tour Divide '19-day16.jpg
    Bikepacker Heaven
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Only 75 miles??? Weaksauce!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Only 75 miles??? Weaksauce!
    I know, right? I seriously felt like that any time I fell short of 100. All that hike-a-bike I did really affected my mileage goals. Freakin' saddle sores.
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS
    TD '19: Day 17 - Brush Mountain Lodge to Lynx Pass

RR: Tour Divide '19-day17.jpg
    Light vs Dark
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS
    TD '19: Day 18 - Lynx Pass to Silverthorne

RR: Tour Divide '19-day18.jpg
    Somewhere near the Colorado River crossing.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Each section is like waiting for a new book release !
    you're lucky enough.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    Each section is like waiting for a new book release !
    Haha!! Thanks, really glad you're enjoying the posts, so here's another one:

TD '19: Day 19 - Silverthorne to Hartsel

RR: Tour Divide '19-day19.jpg
    The Havok poses in front of the Ten Mile Range in Breckenridge, CO.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member

For the Divide, the route doesn't really start all that high, 4300'. You gradually gain elevation along the way and get acclimated during the ride. Most of the time you're just going over a pass and dropping right back down. It's not like the Colorado Trail Race where you spend 20+ continuous miles above 12k. With that said, Mt. Ord is a great training ride and close to the Valley. Another good one is the Crown King Rd. climb. Prescott has ideal conditions for Divide training. I just didn't have time to get up there.
    John is correct. I failed at my TD attempt in 2014. I live in the NW Valley and used the Bradshaw Mountains as my training grounds. The Crown King ride John mentions, was the perfect training that really duplicated conditions. A double CK ride is about what a day on the Divide was like for me. Same relative distance and close on vertical. From Gloriana Trail-head to CK and back was 54 miles and about 6000' vertical.
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

Haha!! Thanks, really glad you're enjoying the posts, so here's another one:

TD '19: Day 19 - Silverthorne to
    The Havok poses in front of the Ten Mile Range in Breckenridge, CO.
    Nice that you got to ride some of the fun part of gold dust.

So bring it on home...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Day 20 recap: Hartsel to Salida

RR: Tour Divide '19-day20.jpg
    High desert sage.
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS
    TD '19: Days 21/22 - Salida DNF

RR: Tour Divide '19-day21.jpg
    Wasn't supposed to end this way.
    My Two Schillingsworth

TD '19: Days 21/22 - Salida DNF

Wasn't supposed to end this way.
    Damn J. I already knew how this ended, but that was still rough.

Respect for getting as far as you did. I know you don't quit unless there is no alternative. You did the right thing there.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    Damn J. I already knew how this ended, but that was still rough.

Respect for getting as far as you did. I know you don't quit unless there is no alternative. You did the right thing there.
    Thanks Jeffro. In the end, it was a good thing it happened where it did. Anything beyond Salida and you're out in the sticks...for days. Also, I ended up breaking one of those pedals here in AZ on my second ride back, that would've most likely happened on the climb up Marshal Pass. Now I have a reason to go back to Salida next June. Wanna come along?
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    You had already ridden/experienced more than likely 90% of the people on here before you even did the GDMBR- so wherever it ended, congratulations are absolutely in order.

Thanks for all you have contributed over the years- hope for many more!!
    2018 Specialized Diverge Expert
    2018 Giant Anthem Pro 29 1
    2018 Salsa Fargo 27.5+

Meatbomb
    Well said NDT....

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Thanks NDT. I'm bummed I don't have any more daily TD reports to rehash. I have one final post on the experience coming shortly, gear list included.
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I'm bummed, two months of blog posts about the Tour Divide has now come to an end. I wish I still had another week to blab about. I guess that can wait until next year.

TD '19: Gear List & Final Thoughts

Name:  Day00.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  53.5 KB
    Rolling out of Canmore, AB to the start of the Divide on June 14th.
    My Two Schillingsworth

highly recommend going with the ghetto method for fork mounted bottle cages next time. Hose clamps, with a tube used to protect the fork, work excellent. Cheap, strong, and easy to find replacements (any auto parts store). Attach a couple extra to the fork - just in case.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RR: Tour Divide '19-20170127_150207.jpg  

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    highly recommend going with the ghetto method for fork mounted bottle cages next time. Hose clamps, with a tube used to protect the fork, work excellent. Cheap, strong, and easy to find replacements (any auto parts store). Attach a couple extra to the fork - just in case.
    I'd do that or replicate what I did in the field, that worked great.

I forgot to add my hike-a-bike total: 75 miles!! Used a threshold of 3.0mph, yes, I looked on many occasions, I often HAB'd at 2.8, but didn't ride slower than 3.4. There was plenty of time to do the study.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Wholly schlitz...75 miles of hab? I'm gonna bet that many of us on here haven't pushed our bike that far, collectively, in our riding lives. (I'm pointing at myself. :-) ).

Again, thank you for sharing your journey with us!!!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyChap View Post
    Wholly schlitz...75 miles of hab? I'm gonna bet that many of us on here haven't pushed our bike that far, collectively, in our riding lives. (I'm pointing at myself. :-) ).
    Well, gotta be good at something!! But 75 miles of HAB on the Divide is ridiculous, it should've been around 5. Add in another 75 HAB miles during the Colorado Trail Race and 60 more from the AZTR750 and that's why I ride in hiking shoes!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Meatbomb
    Crazy stuff !!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well, gotta be good at something!! But 75 miles of HAB on the Divide is ridiculous, it should've been around 5. Add in another 75 HAB miles during the Colorado Trail Race and 60 more from the AZTR750 and that's why I ride in hiking shoes!!
    Hope you know that I meant that post in nothing but the most respectful manner. After re-reading it could be interpreted in a pretty bad way. lol!!!

Wow!!! 210 miles of hike a bike. That's really quite an achievement. And by finishing the CTR and AZTR750 as well as making a huge push into the Divide I'm pretty sure you're good at way more than just HAB. ;-)