DFL>DNF>DNS

RR: Ripsey & C100

Had nice back-to-back ride days this past weekend. I tweaked my Ripsey route a tad and I now have my preferred route for doing this classic AZT section as an easy day ride. CCW direction from the Kelvin TH.

RR: Ripsey & C100-img_20170116_074956_150.jpg
    Ripsey ridgeline!!

Ripsey Loop

Then on Saturday, we rolled out the delayed Curmudgeon 100. 100 miles of singletrack through McDowell Regional Park & Brown's Ranch. I opted to roll the now SS Voodoo for this one. Fun times.

RR: Ripsey & C100-img_20170115_112323_365.jpg
    Strava activity

Curmudgeon 100
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Apparently I have become enough of a curmudgeon that I got an invite to this ride. Here are my pics for the day.

This would be by far my biggest all dirt ride ever and I was interested to see how I'd do. I've ridden this area a few times and knew the trails are generally fast, so I was doing math in my head... to finish in daylight I'd need to maintain 8-10mph depending on stopped time. Which was actually pretty reasonable. Next question, would my knees and my butt hold up to 100mi? That was far less certain. But I'd have lights if I needed more time and there are plenty of bailouts if I'd had enough.

530am start. Fortunately those coming from afar were offered accommodations. Thanks Jeff & Nancy!

Stopping to pay the $2 entrance fee. $.02/mile is a bargain!

And they're off! Most of the field of 15 or so would not be seen again

First rest break around mile 30 below Tom's Thumb.

Top of the hardest climb, this one required a bit of HAB

Lots of high speed cruising

Not sure if it got humid or my lens was dirty. Either way, a cool spot near the mid point of the route

Reward for finishing 50 miles by noon

If only this could work in Socal. Being the badasses that we are, we entered the unmapped area

There are some rather large, cool cactus in the back 40

I came across a couple deer that were nice enough to pose for a shot

Soon after, I was overtaken by some dark clouds that had been hanging out on the far side of the valley all morning. Forecast had shown chance of rain in the afternoon and it hit right on schedule. And when I say hit, it was biblical. I was soaked almost instantly, so shelter would have done me no good except from the lightning. Then as quickly as it arrived, the storm and lightning moved off. With 35mi left and water everywhere I initially thought my ride was over. Being on the backside of beyond though, I would have to carry on the route a ways even to bail and as I did the skies cleared up, the trails drained and I quickly decided finishing on trail would be a lot more satisfying and less miserable than a long pavement ride back on wet, busy roads.

Sun came out, rainbows appeared and all was good in the world

Complete double rainbow

The only smell I like more than napalm in the morning is rain in the desert

Rain was on and off the rest of the way but trails were great, they just rode a little slower than before. I didn't even need glasses. And trails all to myself.

I got back to the cooler, mile 90, right at last light. One more beer to power me home.

It was mostly downhill back to Jeff's house. Dark to dark, I finished in 14 hours, a little slower than I thought I could do because of the rain delay but I was stoked to finish at all. Others finished up to 4 hours earlier, and most were done 2 hours before me.

This was not my longest ride ever, we did 113mi in Death Valley but that was 80mi of pavement. But this was much more satisfying being almost 100% sweet singletrack. Maybe next year I will be angry enough to do it on a singlespeed. If I could pull that off, I would be guaranteed a faster time!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Nice job Evan!! You also got the long distance award driving over from SoCal. Too bad we didn't get to ride together more, just too much anger flowing this year!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Good hanging out for this Evan. All the way from So Cal too!
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Nice job Evan!! You also got the long distance award driving over from SoCal. Too bad we didn't get to ride together more, just too much anger flowing this year!!
    The singlespeed definitely brought the angry out in you. Short food breaks? WTF?