Tucson, AZ

RR Casner Mountain Dirty Century

100 miles to connect Flagstaff to Sedona in one big loop.

Just gonna let the pictures do the talking...

The crew having just descended Casner Mountain (in background)

The theme for the 5-mile connector

Scnebly

Nearing Flagstaf

We had a great group, 13 in all. Although I did have a few route failures (super sandy Dry Creek and the 5 Miles of Death March), things seemed to run smoothly. Those that did the 60 miles to the Oak Creek Brewery, great job. Everyone had a great pace, despite a few setbacks with mechanicals. A near seamless ride!

Quotes of the day:

This is the worst 5 miles of trail I have ever ridden.
    It is a Chad-thing, we have become to expect as much.
    12 more switchbacks to go!

Kudos to Rhino for doing the most singletrack in Sedona. Guipago, way to stay with it. I really enjoyed this type of endurance ride with a strong group of people. Thank you for everyone that came out. This was not an easy route, 60 or 100 miles. I hope to do more group rides like this on new terrain.

More pictures on the blog later today. Gotta go ride a bit!
    Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 05-16-2010 at 09:46 AM.

Dave
    I'm feeling fine after yesterday's ride. I'm up and editing the pics into a movie will post up in awhile. Chad thanks for a tour on Casner Mtn enroute to Sedona. The last 10 mi into Sedona was hard. The sandy wash we ended up in had a pool of water that if I had the time I would have slept there under the tree, but no must push on. 7:16 hrs later we were drinking beer and eating hotdogs. They were excellent by the way.
    I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    This was my first MTBR or AES ride and I have to say it was awesome. Great riding, incredible scenery, awesome people. Great times. I am looking forward to the next one. I will post some pictures later.

Dave

video at vimeo dot com

oooh, shiny...
    Thanks for the ride! I have to say that was the hardest ride I've ever done.

More here.

Flight Junkie
    Great time. I was hoping for some better routes after Casner into Sedona. Those that have never ridden there e-mail me in the future and I'll take you on some epic beautiful rides there. I had a good time doing the 60 into Sedona. Hiro Sushi was excellent by the way. Glad to meet you all. Thanks ibikeaz@hotmail.com
    ROTOR HEAD

My other ride is your mom
    Great time folks! Here are some of my pics:

More on my blog, here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RR Casner Mountain Dirty Century-10_switch1.jpg  

RR Casner Mountain Dirty Century-14_pano2.jpg  

RR Casner Mountain Dirty Century-15_pano3.jpg  

RR Casner Mountain Dirty Century-18_shade.jpg  

RR Casner Mountain Dirty Century-2_pano.jpg  

Cripes, y’all are way ahead of me on the pics. I actually had to dump a bunch to get down to 62 pictures. Anyhow, they are posted here: http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2...01986607vnrLbo

This ride was definitely different from the other AES races/rides/events Nancy and I have done in the last 6 months. Instead of being off the back, all by ourselves, we got to spend the day riding with the entire group. Chad slacked off enough to finish with us (along with Hobie and Phillip). Also, the 90% dirt road was definitely different from Chad’s other events. It was nice to meet a bunch of really great folks and ride in new (to us) areas of AZ with some stunning scenery – the pictures just don’t capture how beautiful it was.

Like any good ride, there was the usual drama. A broken seat post, that was swapped out with another rider who didn’t need a super tall post. BTW, a seatpost from the 90’s does have a good chance of failing soon. J Also, Hobie (who came all the way from L.A. with his wife) had a broken pedal. Fortunately Meghan was driving the support car and was able to remedy that issue. Then he had knee issue at the start of the climb up Shnebly, which Phillip gave him a solution to (move cleats back).

Phillip, Hobie, Chad, Nancy, and I ended up doing the grind out of Sedona and the ride back to Flagstaff together – after a calorie stop at Burger King. Despite the fact that I have been riding more than my wife lately, she kicked my ass on the climb up Shnebly. I suppose I just need to get used to that
    Once again, many thanks to Chad for putting on another memorable grass-roots event.

--Jeff

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    wow i just got back home after an 8 hour road trip back to LA and awoke from my nap. as soon as i hit the door i fell on the floor and went to sleep

i have a bunch of good pics of yall but i wont be able to load them till next week. i am about to pack for a seattle backpacking trip and then hit the hay.

just wanted to say thanks to chad for an epic journey. this was my first attempt at a 100 mile ride and i was able to complete it without too many problems. i know i was a bit slower than most so i appreciate chad waiting up for me espcially when i had my 2 different flats. next time i come to flagstaff i wont be riding on a maxxis maxlite 310

banned
    Sep 2007
    Kind of curious, as I was interested in doing this ride... is this a ride, or a race? 60 miles, would have been a personal best for me, but at my age... I'm sad to say, I would have slowed most of you down if you all are racers.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Kind of curious, as I was interested in doing this ride... is this a ride, or a race? 60 miles, would have been a personal best for me, but at my age... I'm sad to say, I would have slowed most of you down if you all are racers.
    This one was definitely a ride - we gathered up from time to time in case anyone fell behind. The halfway option (stopping in Sedona) was a good choice if you were not sure about your fitness. If you look at the course profile, there was not much climbing (except for that nasty little bump up to the top of Casner) from Flagstaff to Sedona. Although that jeep road going into Sedona was pretty tough.

This ride was mostly about seeing some terriffic Arizona countryside and riding our bikes all day. What could be better?

Tucson, AZ
    It was a group ride. I am thinking about doing one more enduro group ride later this fall. I will post it up on MTBR.

As Jeff said, Nancy is one of the toughest singlespeeders on a climb. She kicked my butt climbing Schnebly.

jimfab

Thanks

Everybody!

Thanks for a GREAT ride! I had an absolute blast Good people, Good fun, Good ride, and Good eats! You guys and girls are some seriously strong riders and a ton of fun to hang with!

Thanks again! -JIm
    Rock On

Rhino
    Chad - thanks for the route, you rock man. Loved all the Sedona trails. Climbing and bombing Casner was intense, almost made me want a suspended fork (not really).
    -rhino

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    It was a group ride. I am thinking about doing one more enduro group ride later this fall. I will post it up on MTBR.

As Jeff said, Nancy is one of the toughest singlespeeders on a climb. She kicked my butt climbing Schnebly.
    Sounds like my kind of ride. Great peeps, great vibe, great aesthetics on the ride seeing some beautiful country from a very unique perspective. Would a Niner RIP have sufficient travel with all the AZ chunk on these fire roads? Some of that HAB in the pics looks "oh sh*at!" steep.

I'll have to git 'er done getting out there for one of these epics, AZ has so much great riding to explore. Surprisingly, Sedona just doesn't "do it" for me, my days of gnarly chunk are behind me now. But this ride, while jeep trail, looks pretty darn nice for it's views.

Did anyone download the Half Enchilada on Garmin Connect or Geoladders from their GPS units? If so, a link to it would be nice.

Running unsupported, Chad, what does the contents of your back consist of? How many liters of water, did you guys do water, endurolyte drops in advance, how many calories did you throw in the pack to make it to Sedona? Unsure, as I've limited/no experience in rides of this length and would want to be prepared properly. 6 to 7 hours/56 miles to Sedona is a lot of calories burned.

One last question, what are good 29'er tires to run on a trip like this, good low rolling resistance and strong enough sidewalls to avoid tears? I'm a 6'5" 225 # Clyde. AZ rock is tough on tires. What works locally, and what should be avoided?
    Last edited by Boyonabyke; 05-17-2010 at 09:45 AM.

jimfab

run what you brung

How many liters of water, did you guys do water, endurolyte drops in advance, how many calories did you throw in the pack to make it to Sedona? Unsure, as I've limited/no experience in rides of this length and would want to be prepared properly. 6 to 7 hours/56 miles to Sedona is a lot of calories burned.

Randy

IMO any bike you are comfortable on will work. This ride had everything from full rigid, HT, FS, FR. SS, 29, 26, 650/29er, you name it, Everybody got the job done. What people took with them was as diverse as the bikes they rode. It was cool to see how dialed in everyone was to there individual needs, you could tell there was a great deal of experience in this group. Some just took 2 water bottles, others like me took a total of 6L of water. I am close to your size at 220LBS and use allot of water/ food. For me on rides this long i like to take 3-500 cal/hour of food. The lighter folks can use much less. For tires, any tough tire you are confident in, just be prepared to fix a sidewall tear on whatever you bring. Myself, i like the saguaro but you need to be on top of things if you use it as a front tire on those types of roads.

Hope that helps a little.

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jimfab
    How many liters of water, did you guys do water, endurolyte drops in advance, how many calories did you throw in the pack to make it to Sedona? Unsure, as I've limited/no experience in rides of this length and would want to be prepared properly. 6 to 7 hours/56 miles to Sedona is a lot of calories burned.
    Randy

Hope that helps a little.
    I only had 100oz of water with Elete in it + bottle with same. Drank 1/2 the bottle on the drive up and finished on the ride. Needed more. I ate 3 goo's, 1 1/2 banana's, some Stinger eletrolye chews (1 pack). Didn't eat my peanut butter muffin I had. Had toast and PB at IHOP before the ride + oatmeal at 2:45 am. Yeah that's when I got up. I had no water left at the end.

Jim you are absolutely right about the Saugro's tires, mine washed out bad on the forest road, I thought Maad was going to run me over b/c I drifted right in front of him doing a two wheel slide. Lucky my shoe unclipped easily and I got to stick a leg out quick and catch myself before going down. This was due to my rear brake no working well at the beginning of the ride. My Garmin said I went thru 3600 cal. So that hot dog most likely made up for it.

My ride was a 29er FS Pivot
    Last edited by liteandfast; 05-17-2010 at 11:09 AM.

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb
    . A broken seat post, that was swapped out with another rider who didnít need a super tall post. BTW, a seatpost from the 90ís does have a good chance of failing soon.

--Jeff
    Jeff,
    I have been trying out that no-set-back post for the past two weeks. That was the only reason such an old pos was on my bike. Now I have to buy a nice one. Do you know of any good Ti posts? I've been thinking of a Joplin or something along those lines but am put off by their weight compared to a regular one.
    Nice meeting you and your superwoman wife, Nancy.

Losing Ground

First the Pictures

RR Casner Mountain Dirty Century-cimg5191_ed.jpg

RR Casner Mountain Dirty Century-cimg5197_ed.jpg

RR Casner Mountain Dirty Century-cimg5199_ed.jpg

RR Casner Mountain Dirty Century-cimg5200_ed.jpg

RR Casner Mountain Dirty Century-cimg5201_ed.jpg

RR Casner Mountain Dirty Century-cimg5202_ed.jpg
    There are riders down there if you can find them.
    RR Casner Mountain Dirty Century-cimg5206_ed.jpg

RR Casner Mountain Dirty Century-cimg5208_ed.jpg

RR Casner Mountain Dirty Century-cimg5210_ed.jpg

RR Casner Mountain Dirty Century-cimg5212_ed.jpg

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Guipago
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG5191_ed.jpg 
Views:	582 
Size:	278.0 KB 
ID:	544035
    Love that shot with the Kachina Peaks in the background. Somehow I missed that moment of reflection at the top of Casner this time around. I really did not even see the peaks while we were stopped up there, I was too busy enjoying the view to the south.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanseeds
    Chad - thanks for the route, you rock man. Loved all the Sedona trails. Climbing and bombing Casner was intense, almost made me want a suspended fork (not really).
    -rhino
    Casner is a pretty unique drop, I will post up the aerial shots with those switchbacks a little later. It's pretty interesting to see it 3-D.

This ride was really all about the riders and the scenery...both really were perfect. Thank you to everyone that showed up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Regarding nutrition, etc. I started with 100oz bladder 3/4 full and one bottle of Perpetuem (spelling?). Perp is great on long rides because it has protein in it and will help your muscles not be depleted so quickly. Too much (like only drinking that, for example) makes my stomach hurt but, it works great to have a little of that with seperate plain water. I had about 4 gels, and two clif bars before Sedona. In Sedona hit BK for a plain chicken sandwich (I'm not manly enough to rock the fries like Chad and Jeff). I filled my bottle with coke and ice (a secret I learned from a hardcore ironman friend). The ice waters it down a bit and as it flattens it was awesome for a little extra sugar/caffeine going up Schnebly. Then a Payday, Snickers, and some gatorade on the way back to Flag.
    I run Schwalbe Racing Ralphs (tubeless) tires for everything. They seem to work ok but, I don't have much experience. Regarding a bike, a 29er SS seems to work. If it is too tech I walk and otherwise I just ride a comfortable cadence and get there when I get there.

This is interesting....everyone's different w/r to hydro and nutrition. I only did the ride to the brewery, so my nutrition and hydro were different. I had 100oz of 1/2 strength HEED and carried only 3 gels with me (100 calories each with ~22gms of carbs). I figured a gel every other hour for me since this was a ride. This formula has served me well the past year or so on the longer rides in this general time range.

If I had been doing the full 100 (or anything longer than 60), I would have prolly gone with a gel every other hour just like above, but with some more substantial food in between those hours....like the bacon that Chad let me bum or some bagel bites. I wound up with about 1/2 a cup of my hydro left when I got to the brewery. I was not bonked or dehydrated when I got to the brewery....but would have been in another 30 minutes.

FYI...like Phil above, I'm a fan of having some protein in the hydro mix, but just forgot it before the ride; so I went with HEED.

Tucson, AZ

Did anyone download the Half Enchilada on Garmin Connect or Geoladders from their GPS units? If so, a link to it would be nice.
    Check the Google Group for the GPX at the AES Website in my sig

Running unsupported, Chad, what does the contents of your back consist of? How many liters of water, did you guys do water, endurolyte drops in advance, how many calories did you throw in the pack to make it to Sedona? Unsure, as I've limited/no experience in rides of this length and would want to be prepared properly. 6 to 7 hours/56 miles to Sedona is a lot of calories burned.
    I started off with 100 ounces in my bladder and two scoops of HEED in one 20 ounce bottle. With a hearty IHOP breakfast, I knew I was only going to really munch before I got to Sedona for a refuel. Buy some water purifying tablets and leave them in your bag, you never know when that cow water pond water is going to be needed.

This was a source we used on the back side of Mingus during the Coconino 250 pre-ride:

You should plan on about 250 calories/hr on the bike. I had dried mango, 3 bars, 2 pieces of bacon (from IHOP), 1 bag of nuts, and chees/crackers. I can really eat a lot because I have such a high metabolism. The IHOP breakfast set me up for a pretty good morning.

This would be a great beginner ride (with respect to endurance, not skills/bike handling) because you could have a support vehicle come get you in almost every place we rode. Cell support is near 100% on this ride.

One last question, what are good 29'er tires to run on a trip like this, good low rolling resistance and strong enough sidewalls to avoid tears? I'm a 6'5" 225 # Clyde. AZ rock is tough on tires. What works locally, and what should be avoided?
    I used to love Saguaro Geax and Rampages, both have made me look like a fool recently. I am making the switch to Bontrager, so I will get back to you.

My full story with pics are here.

Losing Ground

My Account

I started the day in good form. I was never pushing it and felt my energy level was pretty good. After the Casner descent on the longish gravel grinder I started to lose sight on the main group and they were slowly putting distance between me. I caught Jeff and Nancy on a flat and tried to really stretch it out, but when they caught me again after a fairly minor climb I knew I'd be a straggler for the rest of the day. From here on out is when I started thinking of best options to get back to Flag that night.

The real story starts when I decided to split the group at Dry Creek and follow a path on my topo map which indicated it was a jeep road like anything else. As I look at the map overall now, I realize that I would've saved only about 1 mile with no pavement. What I didn't realize is that it would lead straight into now private property with fence lines, No Trespassing signs, and mansions.

I followed a faint fence-line trail for a little bit until I came to a "T" of more fenced private property. I could see the original route on my GPS to be only about 200 yards away and at this point the last thing I wanted to do was back-track. I was in a ravine, and I could see the road right at the top, so I decided to duck under one fence and came across a highly manicured walking trail (which was not a good sign) that led me up to a tennis court and swimming pool. I figured the mansion would also be walled or gated and all I could envision was a couple of Doberman Pinschers chasing me back into a barbed-wire fence. So I ducked back under the fence, and headed back to the T (which would mean I would still have enter private property somewhere).

Along the way, walking in a creek bed, I startled some javelinas in the bushes above. I was ahead of them and I kept walking faster, hoping they would forget about the situation, but apparently they weren't too pleased. When I got to the fence I started sliding my bike underneath first, and then I heard some more snorting and rustling through the brush. One of the javelinas went under the fence to where my bike was and the other stayed on my side, both staring and grunting. After a few minutes of stand-off they were still not moving. So I made a move up to the top of the other side of the ravine and gathered some throwing rocks. Except now I was up next to another mansion where I could plainly see their patio and balconies. Moving further away I was hoping they would lose some of my scent and go their separate ways. After awhile this is what happened, so I slowly went back down to my bike and very cautiously continued on through the creek (and I still didn't know how I was going to be able to get back up onto the road). Finally I was able to scramble up out of the creek onto somebody's private drive and luckily the gate was open. One more fence to jump from the private rd and I was back to the original route and Dry Creek Rd.

By this time I was pretty frazzled and almost sure my best option would be to hitch it back up 89 to Flag. I cruised into town, and for some reason I really needed some soda. I pulled into a gas station right next to BK and right then I saw Rhino coming through the round about. He was the last person I was expecting to see. Whether you believe in miracles, karma, the attraction of the universe, etc. -- this was it. It was no coincidence I'm sure. You see, since our first ride together, only a couple of weeks ago, we've been talking and planning for this event. Rhino wanted to stay way out in front of the group because he was SS and as a result rode all the singletrack in western Sedona. And because of my slowness we met up at same exact time.

After some refueling and gathering my composure, I decided I would go with Rhino the rest of way out of Sedona by way of Schnebly Hill Rd. By the time we got to I17 and Munds Park the sun was setting so we geared back up with clothes and lights for the rest of the ride into town by freeway. We arrived back at Safeway at 9pm with our cars being the last ones left (usual for me). That's the story--everybody was safe and that's a good day!

Tucson, AZ
    We arrived back at Safeway at 9pm with our cars being the last ones left (usual for me). That's the story--everybody was safe and that's a good day!

On the way back to Tucson, we stopped at Starbucks (having just finished eating and running at the Brewery) and I ran over to see if your cars were gone. I did not see them at 8ish. It was dark, but I ran over to where we parked. Had I known, I would have put my phone number and a beer. Are you sure it was 9? I am almost certain it as 8ish when we stopped by.

Losing Ground
    On the way back to Tucson, we stopped at Starbucks (having just finished eating and running at the Brewery) and I ran over to see if your cars were gone. I did not see them at 8ish. It was dark, but I ran over to where we parked. Had I known, I would have put my phone number and a beer. Are you sure it was 9? I am almost certain it as 8ish when we stopped by.
    Pretty sure it was 9. We were parked clear in the back row, parallel to the street. I would've stopped by the brew pub if I knew anyone was left. I don't have a cell phone anyways. It's all good.

Tucson, AZ
    Pretty sure it was 9. We were parked clear in the back row, parallel to the street. I would've stopped by the brew pub if I knew anyone was left. I don't have a cell phone anyways. It's all good.
    BTW, Max said you were bailing. Glad to see you kept chugging.

Losing Ground
    BTW, Max said you were bailing. Glad to see you kept chugging.
    I'm pretty sure I would've if it wasn't for Rhino. Mostly because of the unknown. It was a day of emotions for sure. First feeling defeated at around 2pm in the Sedona sun, and then literally laughing and grinning as we rolled through Flagstaff in the night, knowing that nobody else had just done what we'd done (except for a few ). I gave Rhino a big hug at the finish!

Tucson, AZ
    I'm pretty sure I would've if it wasn't for Rhino. Mostly because of the unknown. It was a day of emotions for sure. First feeling defeated at around 2pm in the Sedona sun, and then literally laughing and grinning as we rolled through Flagstaff in the night, knowing that nobody else had just done what we'd done (except for a few ). I gave Rhino a big hug at the finish!
    endurance riding really is all mental....way to prevail.

A plethora of pinatas
    endurance riding really is all mental....way to prevail.

I agree... You HAVE to be mental to do endurance rides. :-)

Looks like an awesome ride and hats off to all that diid it!
    Marty

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I rolled out of Flag at 8pm and I saw your lights as you headed northbound on I-17 (down near Munds I think). I wondered if it was you. Glad you made it safe and sound!

Rhino
    I'd ride this again. Loved it.

I would like to ride Mingus next, get some training in for October

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast

That was Epic and amazing.... simply brutal accomplishment for the guys that even did the Half Enchilada.... and for the folks that did the full meal deal... Mad Props to you on the Endurance feat.

Greeat Video there liteNfast... I want to try this for sure.

That's the story--everybody was safe and that's a good day!

Wow! Way to pull through to the end. That kind of mental toughness is what makes a good endurance rider. And now you have a great story to tell.

Funny thing is, when we were having lunch we were joking about Rhino being in Flagstaff and drinking already. We were sure he was far ahead of us. I guess the singletrack that we missed was as "challenging" as the parts we hit. Just like riding on the beach.

Anyhow, great job to the two of you - glad you made it back OK.

--Jeff

Rhino
    Wow! Way to pull through to the end. That kind of mental toughness is what makes a good endurance rider. And now you have a great story to tell.

Funny thing is, when we were having lunch we were joking about Rhino being in Flagstaff and drinking already. We were sure he was far ahead of us. I guess the singletrack that we missed was as "challenging" as the parts we hit. Just like riding on the beach.

Anyhow, great job to the two of you - glad you made it back OK.

--Jeff
    The single track was awesome, the high cliff bands were neat. The slow going was all the wrong turns I kept making and having to backtrack.

Losing Ground
    As always it was just as great meeting and riding with a bunch of awesome people as the journey itself!
    Thank you all for your concerns and encouragements.
    Valley Boys, I'm sure we'll meet again soon.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Curious, what did you folks eat for your Pre Ride Dinner on Friday night? What did you load up on, what did you avoid, did you hydrate like crazy for 2 or 3 days before the event? what kind of pre ride personal preparation did you make/change from your regular routine? Last taper ride you took before doing the Casner ride, etc.

Tucson, AZ
    Curious, what did you folks eat for your Pre Ride Dinner on Friday night?
    Spaghetti and a few beers

What did you load up on, what did you avoid, did you hydrate like crazy for 2 or 3 days before the event? what kind of pre ride personal preparation did you make/change from your regular routine? Last taper ride you took before doing the Casner ride, etc.
    First 100 mile ride in a day since January. Nothing changes before the ride, I still commuted everyday last week. I consider these types of rides exactly that, a ride. I have done enough of them to know that it really is all mental.

A rest day before the ride is sometimes recommended. I did not eat/drink anything specific for the ride, just carried on with my normal routine. I used to not drink/eat dairy products before a big, hot ride since it makes my mouth dry, but I have not had that problem recently.

Perhaps others can chime into what they do before a ride also as mine seems to be rote.

mtbr member
    This looks awesome.

Curious, what did you folks eat for your Pre Ride Dinner on Friday night? What did you load up on, what did you avoid, did you hydrate like crazy for 2 or 3 days before the event?
    The only food related thing I do before a big ride is taper off on the beer consumption. I try and make up for it after the ride though.I had yummy Pad Thai before Casner. Highly recommend Pa To Thai in Flagstaff.

Like Chad said, there is a really big mental component to this. As the Ken says (a million times) before Leadville - "you can do more than you think you can, you are better than you think you are".

Tucson, AZ
    "you can do more than you think you can, you are better than you think you are".
    Similar to my motivational speech before every race, "pass this beer around, it will make you go faster.Oh, and please make sure to close the gates. Let's ride!"

jimfab
    Curious, what did you folks eat for your Pre Ride Dinner on Friday night? What did you load up on, what did you avoid, did you hydrate like crazy for 2 or 3 days before the event? what kind of pre ride personal preparation did you make/change from your regular routine? Last taper ride you took before doing the Casner ride, etc.
    I am with the other guys, nothing different. I just make sure i get a good dinner and breakfast before. Nothing special in particular. I just go out and trust in my base strength to help me through and try to eat all i can stand on the ride. I did not eat enough on this ride and went harder than i should have and payed big near sedona. But it was still a blast! I find that as long as your mind thinks it is fun, your body is OK. As soon as i take a turn to negative town the suffering begins. I like to tell myself that each challenge or hill or whatever is just a fun challenge and that i should be so lucky to be able to suffer in this way and not with some illness. Gets me through most stuff.... sometimes just a simple turn or whee-lee gets me back to the serious biz of having fun.

Rock Rock

The night before I had 4 beers at PnT for happy hour followed by 2 more at that new place on San Fran - believe it's called Cirillo (spelling?) and I ate their fish taco plate. No taper, no change in hydration except slamming 1 liter of water the next morning before the ride. I did wipe out a plate of cookies at my dads house afterwards since I was pretty buzzed....guess that was the carb loading....but then again, I usually get drunk and eat crazy carbs on friday nights after drinking.....so no change from the norm.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I was pretty buzzed.....
    Yeah you were, you were trying to whisper sweet nothings into my ear. BTW, you need to tone done the dirty talk when you drink.

Yeah you were, you were trying to whisper sweet nothings into my ear. BTW, you need to tone done the dirty talk when you drink.
    .....that was you? I could have sworn I was talking to Joe Murray....

.....delete double post/fat thumb entry

Nice work people.

Members who have read this thread: 0