mtbr member
    Jun 2005

route from globe to phoenix

thinkin about riding home form the globe mbaa race this weekend and am curious if anyone has experience with any off pavement ways. apache trail seems to be the only one i can find. anyone ever taken it and how long is the ride? thanks!

dirt visionary
    Thats one long as ride. There are some good climbs and climbing up fishcreek to the top is going to be next to impossible since its one lane for both up and down. If I recall and I will check there is a combination of trails used to go from picketpost east to new mexico.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    first figure out the road distance,, then imagine exerting 2-3x the force for offroad

mtbr member
    The Grand Enchantment Trail combines the AZT south from the Supes past Picket Post then down past Ripsey and east from there lots of Wilderness on that route.

Now as far as the Apache Trail goes it's part of the AZTR http://www.topofusion.com/azt/aztr.php route though they turn north at the dam. It should be safe enough to ride along the lake over to Apache Trail and then head west. The west end once it's paved there's a lot more traffic and not much of a shoulder. I have only done it in the other direction but it wasn't that bad on a weekday morning. Weekend afternoon the first time was a little sketchy.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by RideTURNER128
    thinkin about riding home form the globe mbaa race this weekend and am curious if anyone has experience with any off pavement ways. apache trail seems to be the only one i can find. anyone ever taken it and how long is the ride? thanks!
    Sounds like are in the wrong racing crowd. If you have the kind of ride idea, you might need to start bikepacking! Check out bikepacking.net

Members who have read this thread: 0