Route choice for bikepacking from Los Angeles to Sedona- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Route choice for bikepacking from Los Angeles to Sedona

In two weeks I'll fly my bike and me to LAX and start riding east. Hope to make it to Sedona somehow. The route through California is more or less figured out... one day south along the beach, then across towards Palm Springs with some good single track, off road through Joshua Tree, then "Bradshaw Trail" jeep road to Blythe and on to Parker.

As for Arizona, I am still a bit clueless and was hoping you could help me with some local knowledge. https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/567495/ArizonaTrails.kmz seems a good resource for ATV trails. It looks as if I could connect Parker / Lake Havasu through "Bill Williams nature reserve" to something called "Swansea Rd", "Rawhide Mountains", "Signal Rd", "17 Mile Rd" to then next resupply point in a mining town called "Bagdad".

Anybody ever been to this area? I was wondering if those jeep roads were more or less ridable or if its a hundred miles of impossibly deep sand. Or maybe you would suggest a completely different route with funnier places? Kingman? Williams? A bit too early in the year I guess? I have never been to western Arizona really... no idea whats going on there besides that it looks pretty desertish on google earth :-).

From "Bagdad" I should be able to get to the Prescott area pretty easily and enjoy some good(?) single track before finally reaching the really cool stuff in Sedona. Never been there either.

Thanks for all ideas and suggestions...
    Joe.

Vincit qui patitur
    Sorry no answer from me. Try:
    Bikepacking.net forums - Index
    Vincit qui patitur
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2016 KONA Operator
    2017 Salsa Powderkeg
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy 29 C R

mtbr member
    There is a route. I have done bits and pieces of it. If you are looking at I40, about 7-10 miles east of the 95, in Yucca you will see CaliAriz dr.(?) Exit there and I think the road is called Alamo road there. It is paved for about 5 miles I would guess. It will go across a HUGE expanse of desert(85-95 miles?). You will find yourself a little trailer park/bar in the middle of absolutely no-place, called the Wayside Inn. I know it's called Alamo Road (#15) there. It will spill out on 93 about 16 miles NW of Wickenburg. From there, you can put dirt roads together and get to Wickenburg. I think Salome road is there someplace as well.

Look at Google maps to put it all together, I did this over Thanksgiving weekend and only got lost about 30 times. Made it to Wickenburg finally. I started off of 93 past the Bagdag exit on a road I think is called Signal Rd.

Steve
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

Give it a crank
    Try http://www.adventurecycling.org/‎, one of their routes goes between CA and AZ.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well... at least it sounds like those desert roads are somewhat ridable. I will be coming out of Bill Williams River Nature Reserve and then connect to this Alamo Road that you were talking about. Then resupply either in Wikieup or Bagdad and on towards Prescott, probably on a paved Highway 96.

Wickenburg might be a bit too far south if my destination is Sedona.

mtbr member
    I have spent quite a bit of time in Bagdad and the back way to Prescott (Camp Wood Road). Beautiful, remote area with a ton of wildlife (lots of antelope too). Roads there are very passable. No worries there. There is a grocery store in Bagdad (Bashas). I would recommend going through here if you can.

96 is not really busy. But an ok paved road to get on.

Ill be camping out there March 15th for some rabbit hunting just off of 96.

Let me know if you need to know more about this back way to Prescott via Bagdad.

Meatbomb
    That is an aggressive trip... How long do you expect it will take?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I found the Camp Wood Road. Looks like a bit of a detour to get to Prescott from Bagdad, compared to 96. But the whole trip is a massive "detour" anyway so I will probably go for it :-).

Is there anything worthwile in Prescott or should I not bother and zoom straight through to Sedona?

How long this all takes? No idea really, but I have 4 weeks total to get from LAX airport to PHX airport.