Rode the Hawes loops for the first time...- Mtbr.com
    Fragile - must be Italian

Rode the Hawes loops for the first time...

Today I rode the Hawes loops for the first time and wanted to report my experience. I typically ride in the north parts of Phoenix/Scottsdale (So Mo if I want to drive) but my group arranged a ride at Hawes so I figured I would join them to see what the area was like.

We rode the TRW loop (I think that is the name) from Thomas/Recker over to Power Road, crossed Power, and then jumped on the Hawes loops right where Power starts to go downhill. We road pretty much all of the outer parts of the Hawes trails -- south towards the neighborhoods, up a long hill to a saddle, then to the Mine loop which carried us back behind the hills, and then back around to the front of the hills for some more windy singletrack that put us back to Power road (where we started).

The trail was SOOO much fun! It has a lot of curves and whoop-de-dos that were a blast to shoot through. There were a few decent grades (nothing too bad) and some pretty gnarly downhill sections (switchbacks) that kept things interesting. Because of the recent rain the trail was nicely packed down (but I could tell the trail would get loose when the weather dries up). All in all this was a fun, fast trail.

Some parts of the trail are carved into the side of the hill, so there isn't much to save you should you fall over the edge. But since the trail is so high up, the views are AMAZING. I had a hard time keeping my eyes on the trial with such beautiful scenery distracting me.

Of course, no ride is complete without some blood -- this time it was my turn to shed some. I did a stupid move on one of the technical sections and ran into the back of my buddy. It threw me off balance. I went to put my foot down and realized that I was about to step off the side of the dowhill side of the trail. DOH. I fell over the edge but was still holding on to my bike. I fell on my back (head downhill) and slid about 4 feet below the trail. Thankfully the bladder on my pack softened the blow. But I was still holding the bike with 1 foot clipped in and was stuck - I could not move. After everybody realized I was OK they all stopped to laugh at me...and eventually help me up. My right leg got caught in the chainrings and started to bleed.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the trail today. If you haven't ridden the Hawes loops, you owe it to yourself to make the trip to east Mesa and ride them for a few hours. I will definitely be back in a few months to ride the loops again.

BTW - Since the trail was so beautiful and the weather was so clear, I *really* wish I had the digicam with me today! But...maybe I am lucky I didn't have it because odds are it would have gotten crushed on my wipeout.

Thx...Doug

MTBR Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Some parts of the trail are carved into the side of the hill, so there isn't much to save you should you fall over the edge. But since the trail is so high up, the views are AMAZING. I had a hard time keeping my eyes on the trial with such beautiful scenery distracting me.
    Had a similar experience last weekend when riding it for the 1st time. Especially true of the last serious descent around the mine ruins. Really not the time to be sight-seeing when dealing w the off-camber sheer drop trails there.

XC Geek
    If you like Hawes you should ride Pass Mtn, just East of there, I think you can link the 2 together for a nice long ride.
    I should be doing something more productive with my time!

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Steelhead
    If you like Hawes you should ride Pass Mtn, just East of there, I think you can link the 2 together for a nice long ride.
    You can link them and make a ride somewhere near 35 miles out of it. Pack a lunch and lots of water, it's an all day affair.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i rode at Hawes today for the first time. i was mostly solo but met up with other riders along the way. man, that trail, i think it is ridgeline or pig trail? whatever, i rode it, kept looking towards the upside so i would not follow my eyes downhill. it was fairly level but when i got to the end my heartrate was waaay up there as if i had ridden a climb. what a ride.

some of Hawes reminded me of P&D or McDowell, all that pea sized granite. it can be slippy if yer not careful. i really liked how cacti and other plants were right up against the trail, true singletrack. it has been a while since i rode the 'real thing.' i will definitely be going back, though it may wait until fall, it is about 60 miles one way from home. depends on how our spring temps play out. yeah, i know, i am a wuss, cannot take the heat and all that. also i do not like getting up way extra early for the long drive to beat said heat. yeah, i am too delicate.

Rita

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

How Do I Get There?

I'm moving to Chandler (near McQueen & Ocotillo). Can someone either post or email me some directions to this ride? Thanks in advance...

Occidental Tourist

My .02

I rode Hawes for the first time a few weeks ago - we pretty much did the same loop but instead of going left to hit the mine trail we went right for a bit and did an out and back and then back to the mine trail. It was a good trail but I wasn't terribly impressed - maybe it was the distance from my house coupled with the lack of unique but it just didn't do it for me.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie
    I'm moving to Chandler (near McQueen & Ocotillo). Can someone either post or email me some directions to this ride? Thanks in advance...
    Check out my long-winded instructions for Spring Fling. In there you will find directions to get to Hawes as well as a map of the trail system.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=5206#poststop