Rode after the rain today -- and it was still dusty!- Mtbr.com
    Fragile - must be Italian

Rode after the rain today -- and it was still dusty!

Oh how Arizona is different than the rest of the world. Where else can you get dusty after it rains?

We had 3 hours of drizzle this afternoon, which screwed up my early PM riding plans. By 3:30 or so the rain had stopped and by 4:20 I jumped on the Trail 100 for a quick 90 minute ride (it's just a block away).

I somewhat expected the trail to be soft from the rain. My own yard was a little soggy...

But once I got on the trail it looked like it hadn't rained for days, not minutes. The soil was "crusty", not soggy.

And to my disbelief, when I returned to my house my previously clean NRS was covered in a fine layer of dirt. Unbelievable. Here I was worried about dealing with muddy conditions and I ended up with a dusty bike.

Oh how I love Arizona

Thx...Doug

Occidental Tourist

Bet its not dusty now

I didn't ride this weekend for the first time since I can remember (got to spend some time with the fam after being gone for four days at the OP and Moab coming up) and planned on riding today.....guess I'll have to wait a day or two. I don't mind the rain - its the cold that gets me
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

XC Geek
    Am I the only one that has a problem with this? If you expect the trail to be soft shouldn't you stay off of it?
    From IMBA's web site

"2. Leave No Trace.
    Be sensitive to the dirt beneath you. Recognize different types of soils and trail construction; practice low-impact cycling. Wet and muddy trails are more vulnerable to damage. When the trailbed is soft, consider other riding options. This also means staying on existing trails and not creating new ones. Don't cut switchbacks. Be sure to pack out at least as much as you pack in."

Don't we have enough good riding days in AZ that you sit this one out?

Occidental Tourist
    Good point but I think it allows for some discretion depending on conditions and the trail. There are trails that are negatively impacted if you ride them wet and there are others that are not negatively impacted. I generally avoid wet trails but not always....
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Skinny legged XC geek

Easy, Hoss

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Steelhead
    Am I the only one that has a problem with this? If you expect the trail to be soft shouldn't you stay off of it?
    From IMBA's web site

"2. Leave No Trace.
    Be sensitive to the dirt beneath you. Recognize different types of soils and trail construction; practice low-impact cycling. Wet and muddy trails are more vulnerable to damage. When the trailbed is soft, consider other riding options. This also means staying on existing trails and not creating new ones. Don't cut switchbacks. Be sure to pack out at least as much as you pack in."

Don't we have enough good riding days in AZ that you sit this one out?
    It would take a deluge to make Trail 100 muddy enough for our tires to rut it. The most noticeable thing about rain what rain does on T100 is wash the soil out from between the rocks on the steeps, making the climbs much looser and more difficult until they get packed together again during the dry spells. Kind of a nice, natural refresher program to keep things challenging out there.

XC Geek
    I don't ride it that often, and have never ridden it after a rain, but it seem to me that it's one of the places where a lot of hiker/biker confrontations occur. Riding when it damp just gives them more ammo.
    He did say he expected the trail to be soft from the rain.

Steep Hill

Riding after AZ rain...

AZ hasn't had to address this topic in awhile! Glad we have the opportunity.

Here is my $.02:

Yet another great thing about living in AZ, more specifically the Sonoran Desert, is we have excellent drainage of the desert. I find that after a day or two (or less) the standing water has been soaked in and the trails are once again hardpack.

For example, last year at 24HTOP several postings stated heavy rains fell leading up to race day. Riders expected trail conditions to be very muddy and poor but that was not the case. There was very little standing water on the course. I find this to be the case on my local trails.

I try me best to avoid muddy/wet trails as this leads to widening of the trails. Lucky for me that muddy trails do not last very long in my neck of the woods. Definately not nearly as long is every other state I have ever ridden or hiked on a trail.

Do you agree? Let me know...

Ouch, I am hot!

Muddy Trails

Agree. I too live at Trail 100, which has trails similar to may trails in Arizona. Wet muddy trails are never an issue even during and right after a rain on Trail 100 and the many side trails at this system. There is simply very very little standing water or mud, if any. Plus, hikers are all over this place at the same time. So if there was any damage happening, which there is not, they would share the blame. I would guess that most hikers are even less aware than bikers that using trails when wet is a no no. Bottom line, over the last 4 years I have never seen Trail 100 wet enough for trail damage to be an issue. Often, the trail is better after a good rain. Just another advantage to Arizona riding.

Occidental Tourist

That being said....

maybe I will ride after I get out of here - 50 minutes and counting

Steep Hill

Trail Report...

Quote Originally Posted by crash test dummy
    maybe I will ride after I get out of here - 50 minutes and counting
    Cool, and I'd be interested in hearing how the trail conditions were after this latest rainfall (and which trail too). I hope to ride up the west side of the McDowell's tomorrow morning.

MTBR Tool
    I don't ride it that often, and have never ridden it after a rain, but it seem to me that it's one of the places where a lot of hiker/biker confrontations occur. Riding when it damp just gives them more ammo.

Agree w/the above posters that mud/erosion issues are almost moot.

As far as confrontations go - been riding there on and off for 8yrs without a single one. There are quite a few hikers on T100 itself but of all the trails that's probably the least entertaining anyway so assuming you are on 8/1A/220 the meetings are few and far between.

Fragile - must be Italian

"Soft" trails

By "soft" I didn't mean "muddy". I am terribly concerned about our environment and would never subject our trails to ruts made by my tires.

By "soft" I meant "not dusty hardpack that feels like riding on cement". You know - dusty hardpack is where you leave a rooster tail of dirt as you ride over what feels like a cement surface. "Soft" is where your tires gently roll over ground that feels like hard clay (no rooster tail of dust).

Anyway, I was really surprised that I *still* had some rooster-tail action going on even after the gentle rain....or must have, because how else would my bike have gotten so damn dusty? Geez this place is dry...

Thx...Doug

Steep Hill

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Srexy
    Agree w/the above posters....
    Hey wait a minute! Who are you calling a "poser" on this forum?
    ......Oh, you said "poster". Sorry, my mistake.

Yep, that sure is some dry land out there! Have a good ride y'all!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I rode Desert Classic today from 2:30 - 4 ish and, had rain not been beading up on my jacket, I wouldn't have known it was raining.. the trail was in perfect shape with (yes, I counted) 4 mud puddles that I (of course) rode around. I kept looking back to see if I was even making tracks ... nothing. The section back by the water tank was PERFECT and on the return, I enjoyed throwing the bike into the corners like an MX bike into big berms! I had a blast!

Occidental Tourist

rain, mud and dead bodies

Didn't ride on Monday but I did ride yesterday. The trail was perfect. It was packed and tacky. The most "damage" was done by the rain itself - making some rocky sections more rocky (which will be filled again during the summer as someone else mentioned). The deepest marks were from horses but still not bad. I think the best thing was that all the lines were less prominent so I didn't follow all my old lines and found some new better ones. I rode from 7th ave to the east side of dreamy draw and up into 1a and back via the canals. ona n unrelated note -I think there was a dead body in a dumpster at hatcher and 7th ave. 5-0 had the scene taped off and the meat wagon there...

mtbr member
    What time? I was out at DD last night as well. Kept the ride short and flat, as I'm still trying to get the SS dial in (and dropped the chain about 4 or five time, and I wasn't about to put my manhood on the line).

I was a bit discouraged to see some very long tire tracks on the trail that parallels 100 NW of DD. It almost looked like somebody went out of their way--and off the trail--to do some mudbogging. I wish I would have come upon them when they were doing it. Other than that, the trail was more soft than I would have expected, and lost of deep horse tracks.

Steep Hill

Well, that was an interesting ride CrashTest!

Quote Originally Posted by crash test dummy
    - I think there was a dead body in a dumpster at hatcher and 7th ave. 5-0 had the scene taped off and the meat wagon there...
    Tuesday morning I did an 18 mile loop up Taliesin Lookout on the west side of the McDowells. The old lines are mostly gone from the runoff. Runoff is a powerful force and 'new' rocks are all over the trail. There were 8 or 10 puddles at various places along the route, skirted the edge of each except for one. The rest of the trail was softer and stickier compared with the usual hardpack. Was it leave no trace MTBing? Well, no...I could see my marks in these wetter sections. But 90%+ of this course you could not.

My buddy wiped out on his Blur during our trip home. Cracked his knee which immediately swelled up like a grapefruit. I left to get my car so I could pick him up. When I returned, 2 police cars with lights were blocking one lane. Someone called 911 to report a possible hit and run. My buddy told me before the police arrived, three very attractive and concerned women stopped to ask if he needed anything. Anything at all. Now he says he should crash on FLW Blvd more often. What a showboat! :-)

Occidental Tourist
    [QUOTE=skinny-tire]What time? I was out at DD last night as well. Kept the ride short and flat, as I'm still trying to get the SS dial in (and dropped the chain about 4 or five time, and I wasn't about to put my manhood on the line).
    QUOTE]

Now what I wanna know is why you would use your manhood and not a leatherman? Well it is DD in the evening so I guess I answered my own question...

I was out from 4-6 was around 5:30 when I was East of DD. I toiled up the first real climb on the right once you're in the longish climb from DD east and hit some sweet ROCKY downhills and got a great spot overlooking phx for the sunset. Wish my camera wasn't broken....

Members who have read this thread: 0