Rockstar tases like high octane gasoline! Am I getting old?- Mtbr.com
    Dirt Bike Craig

Rockstar tases like high octane gasoline! Am I getting old?

Let me start by saying that I'm not a coffee drinker so I usually like a RedBull to help kick off my day at work. This morning I opted for a Rockstar (original) instead to switch things up.

Am I just getting old? This Rockstar tastes pretty bad...like a high octane gas sorta bad. Good lord, I can barely take a sip! I do like the recovery drinks they have but the original does not appeal to me like it once did back when it first came out
    Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc

Meatbomb
    I've never had any of the energy drinks so I have no clue what they taste like. Is Rockstar a caffeine drink? I thought they all were massive doses of B vitamins.

Dirt Bike Craig
    It has caffeine & a buttload of B's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I've never had any of the energy drinks so I have no clue what they taste like. Is Rockstar a caffeine drink? I thought they all were massive doses of B vitamins.
    Mostly, it's sugar, with a little caffeine. I usually only drink the sugar-free or zero carb lines, or Recovery. Recovery is pretty good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Speed Energy is pretty good. I really like the orange one. Taste just like an orange soda.

mtbr member
    I don't drink any of those energy drinks. I don't even drink coffee any more. What I do drink is vegtable juice. I have juicer at home and toss in a mixture of vegtables and drink that each morning. I am not health food nut, but all vitamins in there gets my going all morning. When I don't have accesst to my juicer I drink the bottles stuff as replacemnt. Naked Green Machine or Odwall original superfoods. Not as pure as my homemades stuff, but close. I like my homemade because it fresh and zero preservatives or added anything. I control the taste by what and how much I add.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FMX_DBC View Post
    Let me start by saying that I'm not a coffee drinker so I usually like a RedBull to help kick off my day at work. This morning I opted for a Rockstar (original) instead to switch things up.

Am I just getting old? This Rockstar tastes pretty bad...like a high octane gas sorta bad. Good lord, I can barely take a sip! I do like the recovery drinks they have but the original does not appeal to me like it once did back when it first came out
    You're not a flatbiller (when did these creatures migrate here from CA anyway?), congratulations.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Meatbomb
    I have a vitamix for the same purpose.... Not the cheapest but worth it. I swear it could make a smoothie out of a trailer hitch.

https://www.vitamix.com/Discover-Vit...an-Make#juices

Dirt Bike Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    You're not a flatbiller (when did these creatures migrate here from CA anyway?), congratulations.
    Haha once they figured out that CA is gonna fall into the ocean they've been coming in droves!

I do need to start eating & drinking healthier though...

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    crap i totally forgot i had a juicer (still packed away since we moved)..
    i bet the wild buns would chow down on a pile of veggie pulp dumped in the grass.

How much further ???
    The fact you drink any of that stuff on a regular basis, I'd say, no you are not old.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I like 5 hour energy. It gives me what I need (a quick shot of caffein) and nothing I don't ( a bunch of sugar and artificial ingredients). I was addicted to Monsters and the like for a long time. They made me fat and instead of giving me energy, made me feel lethargic. Now I only drink 5 hour Energy and I only do that every once in a great while. Juicing vegetables or drinking green drinks is a much better choice for energy in general.

My $.02
    Evan

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    original rockstar is pretty gross. The rockstar zero in the blue can is quite tasty

I usually drink the absolute zero monster. I can take the taste of the regular.....the sugar is overpowering.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    I like 5 hour energy. It gives me what I need (a quick shot of caffein) and nothing I don't ( a bunch of sugar and artificial ingredients). I was addicted to Monsters and the like for a long time. They made me fat and instead of giving me energy, made me feel lethargic. Now I only drink 5 hour Energy and I only do that every once in a great while. Juicing vegetables or drinking green drinks is a much better choice for energy in general.

My $.02
    Evan
    5 hour has Citicoline - this stuff is used in Japan for stroke victims. It also has like 50,000% of B12, which is probably safe since you don't absorb most of it. Anyway, I like 5 hour energy the best, cuz it works the best - I wouldn't over do it though.

Monster KAOS is the best tasting, IMHO !

Meatbomb
    Apple and some peanut butter works for me when I want a boost me up.

mtbr member
    Apple and some peanut butter works for me when I want a boost me up.
    apples and peanut butter? Are you pregnant?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    apples and peanut butter? Are you pregnant?
    I'm about to neg you for that one. Apples and PB is the shizz. Apples and almond butter is the double shizz. Apples are in season right now too. Winco had some killer Fuji and Braeburn the other day. Crisp and juicy as can be. Ain't a damn thing better than a good Fuji.

Too bad I can't keep Almond or PB in the house or I'll just eat it all with a spoon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    I'm about to neg you for that one. Apples and PB is the shizz. Apples and almond butter is the double shizz. Apples are in season right now too. Winco had some killer Fuji and Braeburn the other day. Crisp and juicy as can be. Ain't a damn thing better than a good Fuji.

Too bad I can't keep Almond or PB in the house or I'll just eat it all with a spoon.
    I smear peanut butter on of these....

bland
    I don't do caffeine in any of its forms be it coffee, tea, or those "energy drinks" the kids love these days. That junk just makes me feel all jittery and weird. Call me old-school or a hippy but I feel best with just a little bit of PCP in my system. Keep it natural.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I don't drink any of those energy drinks. I don't even drink coffee any more. What I do drink is vegtable juice. I have juicer at home and toss in a mixture of vegtables and drink that each morning. I am not health food nut, but all vitamins in there gets my going all morning. When I don't have accesst to my juicer I drink the bottles stuff as replacemnt. Naked Green Machine or Odwall original superfoods. Not as pure as my homemades stuff, but close. I like my homemade because it fresh and zero preservatives or added anything. I control the taste by what and how much I add.
    +1, I am big juice/kale/spinach smoothie guy... I have tried red bull and drank it a couple of times... Energy drinks in general taste pretty bad and I really don't care for them at all...

mtbr member

I used to be a strictly red delicious apple guy, then I tried a honeycrisp.

HOLY CHIT!! They are the size of a small watermelon and scrumptious. On sale at Frys right now for just $1.27.

Stock up, you won't be disappointed

Elitest thrill junkie
    Any of that stuff is crap, whether it's the "full" versions or diet. Study after study have shown that the diet stuff messes up your metabolism and other functions, while the "regular" is chock full of sugar, sodium and caffeine. Anyone who thinks this somehow helps them with any athletic activity is simply a marketing success story. It's not that they taste bad, I think they do some amazing chemical engineering to taste decently (well, some do just taste like bad sweet chemicals), but these things are so bad for you in the first place. I don't eat 3 chocolate cakes every day, or a loaded cheeseburger every day, and I like the way those taste. One problem may be caffeine tolerance, as people get somewhat used to it by drinking coffee, so they feel the caffeine part of it isn't so bad (and doesn't have as drastic effects), but the other stuff you are ingesting with it is just terrible for you. It's hard to describe how I "function" without that kind of stuff, but I notice a huge difference. It's kind of like the difference between a "dirty" engine struggling to move all it's parts against sludge and slime, and being "clean" and operating at max efficiency and power.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    I don't do caffeine in any of its forms be it coffee, tea, or those "energy drinks" the kids love these days. That junk just makes me feel all jittery and weird. Call me old-school or a hippy but I feel best with just a little bit of PCP in my system. Keep it natural.
    The ONLY caffeine I'll have (outside of chocolate evidently) is in Tea, but even then I can't have it for anything past an early lunch, or it will keep me up all night, it's rare that I have it in any case. No coffee, no soda, etc. It's strange because all of the people that do coffee HAVE to have it to "wake up" or whatever. They've literally almost never done it without the drugs, so they don't know what it's like or that it's even possible (and it's not if you've been doing the caffeine thing forever).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    I used to be a strictly red delicious apple guy, then I tried a honeycrisp.

HOLY CHIT!! They are the size of a small watermelon and scrumptious. On sale at Frys right now for just $1.27.

Stock up, you won't be disappointed
    The truth, you speak it. Honeycrisp is a killer apple too. Red delicious can go extinct. I don't think I ever had a Red that wasn't brown inside mush held in form by the peel.

mtbr member
    Oh, here's what Furious Pete has to say:

Elitest thrill junkie
    Red Delicious from "Apple Hill" in CA are the bomb. As big as grapefruits (some bigger) and super tart, sweet and tangy all at the same time. They are my all time favorite.

The only places I've seen these are at the actual apple ranches (there are a few dozen up there) and the local supermarkets. I'm not sure if this is true for any other area that grows apples, but I've never seen apples like that in any supermarkets anywhere else that I've lived.

As far as at a regular supermarket, like in AZ, a lot of the "good" varieties are "mush". They aren't any good here, or from wherever they get them. The pink lady's are a good tart crisp one that seems to come out decently in local stores (in AZ), but apart from that there's usually nothing good. Believe me that Granny Smiths and Red Delicious come in sizes far greater than 2.5" diameter.

mtbr member
    I get my red delicious from Sam's Club, $10 for a 10 pound bag. Always huge, crisp and all around awesome. That being said the same size bag can be had for the same price at Costco, but they are from a different supplier and normally mealy.

mtbr member
    Back on topic...

http://m.cbsnews.com/storysynopsis.r...catid=57539278

Who let's their 14 year old drink energy drinks?! I could have an occasional soda at that age, but never coffee.

mtbr member
    Rockstar juiced in the orange can tastes the best IMO, I can't do the original flavor anymore, but I used to like it. The "Rockstar 21" was the best though (Booze in a caffeine sugar bomb), bummer they had to stop making it.

I go through phases with CSBs (Caffeine Sugar Bomb). I know they're probably pretty bad for me so I try to not drink them too regularly.

mtbr member
    Who let's their 14 year old drink energy drinks?!

Ideally you start your kid on energy drinks at 6 and then put your kids in beauty pageants, and then get your own TV show!

Mom gives her kid "go go juice" to get here all jacked up for the camera, go go juice is a mix of energy drinks that obeseoid mom figured out.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    the 99 cent store has those little bottles of MIO energy water enhancer (18 servings per bottle). they're over $4.50 at albertsons
    who says you actually have to put it in bottled water,, a squirt in the mouth should do the trick too...

Dirt Bike Craig
    Oh, here's what Furious Pete has to say:

This guy died shortly after, right?

Dirt Bike Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    the 99 cent store has those little bottles of MIO energy water enhancer (18 servings per bottle). they're over $4.50 at albertsons
    who says you actually have to put it in bottled water,, a squirt in the mouth should do the trick too...
    That stuff is pretty good. I used it to get myself drinking more water but now I just drink the water straight up, about a gallon every 24 hours.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I just snort sweet and low.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I just snort sweet and low.
    I can believe that.

Didn't your ancestral people bring us the refined powder of the coca plant?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I enjoy the Monster Rehabs and Rockstar Recovery. 1-2g of Sugar and 10-20 calories in a can. The normal stuff pretty much sends my body into sugar shock.

If you need a nice boost after a ride pick up an Orange gatorade/powerade and mix it with the orange rockstar recovery. Tastes great!
    "This fish who keeps on swimming, is the first to chill upstream" - 311

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I can believe that.

Didn't your ancestral people bring us the refined powder of the coca plant?
    Indeed they did. Hawaiians only brought us sugarcane, we went for the kill shot.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    Indeed they did. Hawaiians only brought us sugarcane, we went for the kill shot.
    And for that, we thank you.

mtbr member
    Back on topic...

http://m.cbsnews.com/storysynopsis.r...catid=57539278

Who let's their 14 year old drink energy drinks?! I could have an occasional soda at that age, but never coffee.
    My job puts me on a lot of school campus around the valley, and some high schools actually have a coffee vendor come in and serve up vanilla lattes and carmel machiattos. I almost flipped when I saw that.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Vitamin Bike Added
    Do they sell 'Bawlz' energy drink down here? A Montreal exclusive perhaps, but tasty and effective indeed...
    Keep the rubber side down

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    Ideally you start your kid on energy drinks at 6 and then put your kids in beauty pageants, and then get your own TV show!

Mom gives her kid "go go juice" to get here all jacked up for the camera, go go juice is a mix of energy drinks that obeseoid mom figured out.

Honey Boo Boo.... WTF has this country come to when you need subtitles to understand rednecks. Sad.

mtbr member
    Honey Boo Boo.... WTF has this country come to when you need subtitles to understand rednecks. Sad.
    Its so bad on so many levels, and just more proof that idiocracy might be a documentary :-/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBCanuck View Post
    Do they sell 'Bawlz' energy drink down here? A Montreal exclusive perhaps, but tasty and effective indeed...
    Rocket Burger has it, I believe. 35th Ave and Cactus. Bring a gun and a friend with a gun for that neighborhood though. Church's Chicken, Bail Bonds, African Braiding, and Check Cashing all on that corner. Draw your own conclusions.

mtbr member
    I live 1/2 mile from Rocket Burger. The neighborhood isn't as bad as you make it sound.

mtbr member
    I live 1/2 mile from Rocket Burger. The neighborhood isn't as bad as you make it sound.
    I know somebody else who lives by there and they said the same thing. I've only been there in the dark though.

I'm just saying, in the part of the world I'm from, if you see Church's, bail bonds, title loans, and African braiding in one area, you unass it. I guess 35th Ave and Cactus is the exception to the rule. Better safe than sorry, though.

Meatbomb
    What part of town are you from ?

mtbr member
    What part of town are you from ?
    Cave Creek and Union Hills.

I know, I know, I don't have a leg to stand on. Least there isn't a check cashing joint and a title loan shark right here.

Vitamin Bike Added
    Rocket Burger has it, I believe. 35th Ave and Cactus. Bring a gun and a friend with a gun for that neighborhood though. Church's Chicken, Bail Bonds, African Braiding, and Check Cashing all on that corner. Draw your own conclusions.
    Sounds like a night on the town with the Brady Bunch if you ask me! Buuuut I'll bring my multitool for defense just in case...

Vitamin Bike Added
    Sounds like a night on the town with the Brady Bunch if you ask me! Buuuut I'll bring my multitool for defense just in case...

mtbr member
    Cave Creek and Union Hills.

I know, I know, I don't have a leg to stand on. Least there isn't a check cashing joint and a title loan shark right here.
    I go to that Costco all the time, the neighborhood is totally Mayberry.

There is nothing wrong with 35th and Cactus.

Now Indian school and 51st area... gets a bit seedy.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Or just have some Rockstar!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Blend and drink:
    Water
    Avacado
    Sun Warrior Raw Vegan protein
    Flax oil
    Mixed greens (kale, chards, spinach, collars greens, etc)
    Wheatgrass blend
    Banana or blueberries

Even if you are getting old, this will make you young! Here's another variation of it:
    Ebens Green Drink - YouTube

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    I go to that Costco all the time, the neighborhood is totally Mayberry.

There is nothing wrong with 35th and Cactus.

Now Indian school and 51st area... gets a bit seedy.
    Driving through 35th ave is almost like driving though Mexico... not sure about the Cactus and 35th though, but whenever I go pick up our parts orders from our component suppliers on 35th & Thomas, I feel pretty nervous and wishing I was packing.

-S

Dirt Bike Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Driving through 35th ave is almost like driving though Mexico... not sure about the Cactus and 35th though, but whenever I go pick up our parts orders from our component suppliers on 35th & Thomas, I feel pretty nervous and wishing I was packing.

-S
    Thomas is quite a bit different than Cactus on 35th

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    I'm with you here. There's nothing like the feeling of a bit of blow to perk you up. Just make sure to have some heroin to get rid of the jitters and paranoia.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Gumnut Peddler
    Quote Originally Posted by RickRandhawa View Post
    Blend and drink:
    Water
    Avacado
    Sun Warrior Raw Vegan protein
    Flax oil
    Mixed greens (kale, chards, spinach, collars greens, etc)
    Wheatgrass blend
    Banana or blueberries

Even if you are getting old, this will make you young! Here's another variation of it:
    Ebens Green Drink - YouTube
    You lost me at the Avocado. Avocado should never be blended. Never.

Brings back terrible memories of an Avocado soup I once had. Sick for ages

DFMBA.org
    The second thing I do after I wake is crack a Rockstar. Nectar of the gods!

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Shift less, Pedal more.
    Rockstar, redbull, and all those crap drinks have taurine. You know where taurine comes from???? Bull piss, hence redbull.

"Taurine is named after the Latin taurus, which means bull, as it was first isolated from red bull (Bos taurus) bile as well as semen in 1827 by Austrian scientists Friedrich Tiedemann and Leopold Gmelin."
    Taurine in the pharmaceutical and lab setting is synthesized through a combination of cysteine, methionine and vitamin E.
    "Urban legends surrounding the source of taurine have included bull urine extract and bull semen. While it's true that taurine is found in both sources, it is not the source of taurine in the pharmaceutical or food industry. And while taurine is sometimes extracted from the intestines of cattle, many food industry sources, including the popular energy drink Red Bull, make efforts to use synthesized sources that are vegetarian friendly." -wikipedia

Like going downtown on a bovine.....not for me. Key words here is RB "makes efforts"
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

Meatbomb
    Yummy .. bull semen.

No Clue Crew
    Sounds more like it gives you balls, not wings...

Shift less, Pedal more.
    I got called homophobic for saying "It's like going down on a bovine."

How is that homophobic? Lame.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

windrider

on topic and hijack topic too...

Quote Originally Posted by FMX_DBC View Post
    Thomas is quite a bit different than Cactus on 35th
    On topic; these days it's green tea. Easier to deal with than coffee, way better for you than the "energy drink" crap, and works at any temperature.

Hijack topic; I work at/around 35th Ave. In my opinion it is a never don't carry zone- the double negative is for effect.

M.
    BRM

Members who have read this thread: 0