Roadtrip: Phx to Moab Question?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Roadtrip: Phx to Moab Question?

Planning a trip up to Moab in May. I want to know if any Phx locals have made this journey. Looking to see if there is a place to overnight with trails to ride on the way, or it better to drive straight thru and save the riding for Moab?

Also, any tips on lodging is welcome.
    The only trace I leave behind is tire marks.

mtbr member
    Flagstaff (but closures will prevent that). In my opinion not much interesting for bikes or lodging in between. Iíd just get there ASAP to have more riding time there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please don't mistake my enthusiasm for mountain biking as an indication of my skill level.

recovering roadie
    I second that - just blow right on thru everything else.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    We typically leave town after work about 6pm. Drive all night. Get in town about 3 am local time. Rack out for a few hours. Hitting a trail by 10am.

I like to stay at Moab RV Park. Itís right by the river. You can get basic cabins for about 60.00 a night Just a rack and a TV, but we spend very little time there. Just a place to shower and sleep. Itís great location if you plan to ride THE or Mag7. You can ride right back to camp. Also many shuttles will pick up from the parking lot right outside the entrance. The have a bike wash and work station with tools.

Staff is friendly and I have had great service there for over 15 years.

EDR
    I've made the trip several times and agree with just getting there asap. We stop for a couple bathroom breaks and eat while driving. It's a fairly boring drive, maybe the highlight is catching authentic Native American music on the radio.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    No trails that I know of, but Navajo National Monument is about at the midway point and is a great place to camp, with a short hike to a viewpoint overlooking some incredible cliff dwellings. We were fortunate to have the entire place to ourselves a few weeks ago during the shutdown.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad.Mtb View Post
    Planning a trip up to Moab in May. I want to know if any Phx locals have made this journey. Looking to see if there is a place to overnight with trails to ride on the way, or it better to drive straight thru and save the riding for Moab?

Also, any tips on lodging is welcome.
    Why not skip the drive to Moab and just go to Sedona, so that youíll have two extra days of riding?
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'd drive straight through. The drive through Monument Valley is a short detour and well worth it.

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by eonicks View Post
    I'd drive straight through. The drive through Monument Valley is a short detour and well worth it.
    If you're not going thru Monument Valley you are doin it wrong. Love the drive.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    If you're not going thru Monument Valley you are doin it wrong. Love the drive.
    You have a point. I've lived here too long I guess, I kind of take the scenery for granted. It's nothing like driving from here to Albuquerque, that's truly boring. Monument valley is a movie star, at least back in the day of American westerns.

Time permitting, the Petrified Forest National Park is out that way as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    If your into tech these new Sedona trails might peak your interest. I apologize if you have already seen the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FmDh1ZUnBu8

mtbr member
    First, just want to say I appreciate all the input. Monument Valley is a great suggestion and is going on the to do list, as we have never been. Also, thanks Five0 for the RV park suggestion, just the type of stay we are looking for with plenty available on our dates. It seems pretty clear to just drive thru then ride.

As for the Sedona suggestions, thanks. The wife and I did that last year and will do it again in the future. We had a glorious stay at the Junipine Resort. Not the most economical choice, but top notch accommodations and they let me wash our bikes at the maintenance shed a couple times during our stay. We are lucky to get away once a year without the kids, so Moab it will be this year.
    The only trace I leave behind is tire marks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    You will really like Moab RV Park. Also if you plan to do any shuttles may I suggest Coyote Shuttle. They will pick you up from the RV Park. They are a little hookie. They use VW vans over commercial vans. But they are good people.

Zips Pizza is a must too All you can eat pizza and Salad bar.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Zips Pizza is a must too All you can eat pizza and Salad bar.
    Where the heck is that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    Where the heck is that?
    I think he means Zax Pizza. Main St. Moab. Good wood fired pies.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    May would be early but this loop in the Abajos (Blue Mountains) outside of Monticello is stellar and arguably better than anything in the LaSals. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/701...ertson-pasture

You didn't specifically ask for it but other things to do if your looking to break up the drive...
    -short hike to the Wolfman Petroglyph panel. https://utahscanyoncountry.wordpress...l-butler-wash/
    -quick stop to the Goosenecks Overlook. https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/goosenecks/
    -A longer hike to the San Juan River on the Honaker Trail in the Goosenecks is pretty awesome. https://www.summitpost.org/honaker-t...n-river/998032
    -You can jump in the river and go tubing at Mexican Hat. Take the dirt road near the Hat itself and not near the town.

Moab is ok and all but there's lots to check out along the way. The view of Monument Valley from the top of Cedar Mesa at Muley Point is among the best anywhere in the southwest. And you get to drive the Mokee Dugway! https://www.dangerousroads.org/north...ugway-usa.html

parenting for gnarness
    There is also the Needles district of Canyonlands to hike.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Zips / Zax. Close enough for government work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    Zips / Zax. Close enough for government work.
    I suppose you're right. Knew which place you meant right away.
    Veni vidi velo!

livin' the dream......
    Like Rockman suggests, the Abajo Mountains are really nice. I have camped at the Devils Canyon Campground and ridden up the main double track into some amazing forest with more deer than you can imagine (during the summer). Views out to Bear Ears and other vistas await. I did not get to explore too much as I arrived 2 hours before dark, and left for Denver early the next morning.

This is a great spot to camp at in the summer as it sits at over 7,000 feet and will be much cooler temps vs. camping Moab. I've used this spot to break up two trips to Denver over the past few summers.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

Formerly of Kent
    As others have suggested, the gems of ďMoabĒ arenít in or connected to Moab at all. But thatís just my opinion.

Abajos, Needles, Maze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

No Clue Crew
    If you wanna go the long way you can travel through Vegas and then St George & Hurricane all of which have good riding. I don't know if there's anything up 15 and across 70 on the way to Moab but it's an idea...

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    May would be early but this loop in the Abajos (Blue Mountains) outside of Monticello is stellar and arguably better than anything in the LaSals. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/701...ertson-pasture
    Hmmmm.... I'mma hafta see what I can find about this. It's a black diamond so could be good...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Hmmmm.... I'mma hafta see what I can find about this. It's a black diamond so could be good...
    It's quite good. I descended both trails during an Enduro race there a couple of years ago. Spring Canyon is used for the climb in the loop described on mtbproject but is a pretty fun downhill. Robertson Pasture is arguably a better DH than the the singletrack portion of TWE in Moab and certainly has better views. Once you drop in on TWE your in the drainage and don't really get the views until Hazard.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    It's quite good. I descended both trails during an Enduro race there a couple of years ago. Spring Canyon is used for the climb in the loop described on mtbproject but is a pretty fun downhill. Robertson Pasture is arguably a better DH than the the singletrack portion of TWE in Moab and certainly has better views. Once you drop in on TWE your in the drainage and don't really get the views until Hazard.
    Never ridden Moab so I'll have no bias...

I usually head to Moab at least once a year for work during Easter Jeep Safari so a break in the drive would be a welcome distraction to that long drive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerdave View Post
    Why not skip the drive to Moab and just go to Sedona, so that youíll have two extra days of riding?
    have you ridden in moab in the past 5 years ?
    Last edited by RajunCajun44; 02-11-2019 at 09:53 AM.

mtbr member
    drive straight through ... don't stop... leave early so you can get a short ride in on the travel day... Bowen Motel is cheap if you pay ahead of time,