Roadies!!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Roadies!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Roadies!!

So I finished the racing season just not quite good enough from an endurance perspective and everyone I talk to says they improved drastically when they incorporated road riding into their schedule. With the help of an in-the-know lady at my LBS, I bit off on this and have a road bike now. Some observations from some completely fresh eyes to the road biking scene.....what a bunch of arrogant unfriendly tools! No one says hello or acknowledges anyone and its a sharp contrast to MTBing. I have noticed the tool curve raises sharply the more racy the road bike and or the more coordinated the biking "uniform" is. You know what? I fit right in!!! Now off to the bike shop to get my matching bib and biking shorts!

mtbr member
    What Part of town are you in? I train a lot on the road but I'm a mountain biker at heart and the folks I road ride with are super cool. I can introduce you to some anti-tools.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

My other ride is your mom
    I've seen huge improvements in MTB friends who take on road riding....with that being said.....it's still a different game and apples vs. orange rules apply. Road will increase your endurance to pulling a gear for a long time.....but most folks forget....folks that ride a MTB for 12 hrs at a time do the same....we just do it slower over rougher terrain which requires instant access to a "reserve gear" in our power structure......so what I guess I'm saying is.

There is no difference.....you're still writing circles with your toes, for hours on end.......it's up to you if you want to spend it drawing the same circles for hours on end......or if you want to have some circles that are drawn faster, then slower, then faster again.....then some which are drawn in a language called HAB.

We all love the two-wheeled life: Let it be..............there are far too many things to hate in this live, for us to hate each other. I think it's awesome that folks are finding appreciation in road riding.....I once did it as a kid....and I will again soon. It's all good.....

Blood, Sweat, and Gears
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkracr View Post
    I train a lot on the road but I'm a mountain biker at heart
    That^. I picked up a Trek 2.1 road bike to aid in my training goals. My work and travel schedule has really stepped up and made my ride time more scarce recently, when i have the time its been tougher to get motivated in this heat. If I could have ridden more i think my tolerance would have been better by now. I think it allows me to ride more in the summer than on my MTB, faster pace and longer stretches of maintained speed. So far the other roadies I have seen while I'm out have been just as friendly as the other MTBers I have encountered. I'm definitely a mountain biker at heart but this keeps me moving on two wheels until the weather cools a bit.
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. -- Abraham Lincoln

parenting for gnarness
    a spoonful of roadieing and spoonful of pump track has awesomeized me. I am so awesome, i feel awesome just thinking about my awesomeizationizing.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    a spoonful of roadieing and spoonful of pump track has awesomeized me. I am so awesome, i feel awesome just thinking about my awesomeizationizing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjaghblb View Post
    ... to get my matching bib and biking shorts!
    Call it a "kit" and it'll up your roadie street cred times ten.

Ahhh the pain....
    Yep, I've noticed the same thing about the roadies...some kinda rude, and some not so much. For me, the roadie thing is just simpler logistically (ride from the house) and in the summer, the higher average speeds cools better. I've also found that riding a SS off-road has changed the way I climb on the road bike though...I used to be a sit and spin type up hills, now I alternate between sitting and standing.

wretch
    Both are fun, both have their places, and both deserve respect. Both also have great characters participating, and both are also littered with knuckleheads. I picked up road riding last year and love it. Hauling balls downhill on a road is totally different ball game.

Just don't ever let me try and wear lycra to the Trail!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I am in Chandler and ride up/around SoMo, Ahwatukee, and even out to the Williams Gateway Airport. I am really enjoying this from two perspectives: I get to ride right from home and its not as dull as I thought it would be and I don't have to clean my bike when I get home! Up with the roosters and its just quiet and quite nice temp-wise. I do have to say I have noticed the more unfriendly nature of the groups I encounter in Ahwatukee and the groups I have seen on my rides around and up SoMo. I really don't care honestly...I am doing base miles under the watchful eye of my inside contact at my LBS and am constantly told to reduce the intensity and up the cadence. Both are harder that it would seem! I ride alone primarily to manage my HR and such and riding with a group would mess that up. Riding with others will come though, I did have to get over not being able to hide my Lycra under board shorts though!!

Need more cowbell
    I train a lot on the road but I'm a mountain biker at heart and the folks I road ride with are super cool.
    Yep....same here.

Ahhh the pain....
    Some sick part of me wants to get a well-conditioned group of us MTBrs, put on cut-offs, camelbaks, helmets w/ Visors, and wife-beaters, and go blow-the-doors off some roadies...

I did have the satisfaction a few weeks ago of passing a guy going up Snow Bowl Rd, while on my SS mtb...felt better than I thought it would...

Rhino

Need more cowbell
    That video is...... awesome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Do roadies mt. bike?

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath View Post
    That video is...... awesome.
    I think so too...then again I drive around in a Creepy Van. I'm awesome.

Huffy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ARIZycle View Post
    Do roadies mt. bike?
    I do, just started last year. Hard to get me back on my road bike now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Just got my first "road" bike this week too.

I don't think any roadies want to be seen with me though. It's a steel Surly Cross Check. I ride it in gym shorts, mtb shoes, mtb helmet with visor, and a dry-fit t-shirt (none of which are even remotely the same color), and of course I can't ride a bike without my camelbak (also not same color as any other clothing apparatus).

Cross Check has knobbies on it too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Some sick part of me wants to get a well-conditioned group of us MTBrs, put on cut-offs, camelbaks, helmets w/ Visors, and wife-beaters, and go blow-the-doors off some roadies...
    Not unique, it just makes you a hipster.

pedaller
    Quote Originally Posted by ARIZycle View Post
    Do roadies mt. bike?
    I've been MTBing since 99.
    I've had a road bike for about 15 months and around 5,000 miles.

Some of the "roadies" I know are some of the best MTBers I know.

As Cholla said above, there is definitely a cross-training value to each discipline.

If you want to become a better mountain biker, ride.
    If you want to become a faster mountain biker, road ride.
    If you want to have better flow on a mountain bike, ride at the pump track.

There are aspects of each that translate to being a better rider period.

As Maad said, check the hate. There are cool peeps and not so cool peeps in each group. Represent.

PS: The other thing that greatly improved my MTB...getting a SS!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    What Part of town are you in? I train a lot on the road but I'm a mountain biker at heart and the folks I road ride with are super cool. I can introduce you to some anti-tools.
    Yeah - I agree 100%... There are a lot of really cool roadies that are super fun to ride with (and a lot of d-bags too... just like mountain biking). I can introduce you to tons of anti-dbag roadies as well too... (most happen to be fast MTB racers too).

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Are we called mounties?

parenting for gnarness
    totally awesome
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    So I finished the racing season just not quite good enough from an endurance perspective and everyone I talk to says they improved drastically when they incorporated road riding into their schedule. Now off to the bike shop to get my matching bib and biking shorts!
    I knew it....blow off the Fire on the Rim MTB race, sneak out and buy a "road?" bike....ROADIE!

Alive and Lurkin'
    Best part about road riding is, loading your road bike up in the road car and then drive on the road, to go ride on the road. In Colorado we called this the road-bird phenomenon, because in CO the best ride is the one right outside your door.
    Pumpin & Pimpin

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibro View Post
    Best part about road riding is, loading your road bike up in the road car and then drive on the road, to go ride on the road. In Colorado we called this the road-bird phenomenon, because in CO the best ride is the one right outside your door.
    Bawahaha
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by azokie View Post
    I knew it....blow off the Fire on the Rim MTB race, sneak out and buy a "road?" bike....ROADIE!

HAAAAAHHHAHAAHAHHAHAHAAA.....I can't stop laughing! Yeah, Charlayne just beat me into submission and I bought one. Can't say if its helped as of yet but I am giving it a go and find a few things I like about it (ride straight from the house = more ride time and the bikes as clean when done as it was when you started!!) I couldn't do that race due to my servitude to the US Govt anyway so its all good. How was the race anyway? You know, taking a break from MTBing is going to be good for my MTBing soul! All the trails will seem fresh and new when I return!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Dammit!!! How did I get rep points!! Doesn't someone have to give those to you? I was fond of my 0 rep!! Take them away PLEASE

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah, Charlayne just beat me into submission and I bought one.
    Gotta love her!
    Yes, I'm the crazy christmas guy!

K3N
    Certified slacker
    [/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hhhmmm...so what do roadies to do be a better roadie? Ride more road?

Need more cowbell
    [/QUOTE]

Hhhmmm...so what do roadies to do be a better roadie? Ride more road?[/QUOTE]

EPO

mtbr member

[/QUOTE]

Hhhmmm...so what do roadies to do be a better roadie? Ride more road?[/QUOTE]

If you want to be a better road crit racer, add mountainbiking and maybe sport motorcycle skills at speed.
    ....improve jumping, cornering a mtb, downhilling -- motocross

2 wheels....it's ALL good crosstraining for the others.

Nobody has mentioned unicycles, but that's a whole different game and skill set.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Just got my first "road" bike this week too.

I don't think any roadies want to be seen with me though. It's a steel Surly Cross Check. I ride it in gym shorts, mtb shoes, mtb helmet with visor, and a dry-fit t-shirt (none of which are even remotely the same color), and of course I can't ride a bike without my camelbak (also not same color as any other clothing apparatus).

Cross Check has knobbies on it too.
    I remember back in the day in Indiana when I used to ride nothing but the road on my Schwinn Le Tour. Roadie (with nothing but a water bottle on his frame) comes up to me and asks (pointing at my Camelback) what's in that? Funny thing is, it's basically the same stuff I carry in there now.....

banned
    Jun 2011

um... ok.

this is for you.

banned
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    I remember back in the day in Indiana when I used to ride nothing but the road on my Schwinn Le Tour. Roadie (with nothing but a water bottle on his frame) comes up to me and asks (pointing at my Camelback) what's in that? Funny thing is, it's basically the same stuff I carry in there now.....
    yeah those where the days!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibro View Post

100% agreed. I always ride to the ride unless it's like 40 miles away to the meeting point. Here's the latest group ride times for Scottsdale:

Saturday Group Rides...
    1- Bicycle Ranch leaves @ 6:00 am behind the shop
    2- Bicycle Haus - BOS leaves @ 6:00 (?) Scottsdale Rd & Shea
    3- The Village at Gainey Ranch leaves @ 6 am
    4- Tribe Multisport leaves @ 6 am

Thursday group rides:
    1 - The Village at Gainey leaves at 5:30 am
    2 - Southwest Bicycles leaves at 6:30 am
    3 - Tribe Multisport NIGHT RIDE leaves at 7:00 pm. Lights required!

Tuesday and Thursday morning is Hour of Power leaving from 64th street and Exiter at 5:30 AM

On Tuesdays in north Phoenix there is also the Swiss American ride leaving the shop at 7:00 pm. They do a really good neighborhood loop where you don't have to stop for stop lights and you can go as fast or as slow as you want.

There is also an underground crit series that happens Tuesday nights as well and they are working on adding an MTB crit to the format but it's a bit on the DL so you'll have to do some digging for info if you wanna hit that up.

If anyone is interested in riding I do the Tribe ride every thursday night and I'm going to check out the crit this tuesday.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for all the info. mtbkracr. I might have to start doing the Bartlett ride here again soon. Also thinking about doing the 4 Peaks ride at night if anyone is interested.

Meatbomb
    what is a 'crit'?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    what is a 'crit'?
    I think it's Cajun for "something to BBQ." Racoon, possum, etc. are crits.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Big B's Trails
    Yummmmmy... crits & grits
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    What is a Crit? Crit is short for Criterium. A Criterium in short is NASCAR on bicycles. it's a short circuit course, sometimes less than a mile. Instead of going for a given distance the race is run over a time period, 20minutes-90minutes depending on the event and what category you race. They are very spectator friendly with lots of action and a blast to watch. During the race, to help keep the action interesting they offer Primes (pronounced preem, don't ask me why). on a Prime lap a bell is rung as the riders cross the line to begin the next lap. at the end of that lap, the first person across the line wins the Prime which is some sort of prize, could be 30 bucks, a saddle, or a bag of cookies. Anyways, they are fun to watch but even more fun to ride in, especially for us mountain bike riders. Most "pavement only" roadies are afraid of their own shadow on the bike let alone ripping corners at 30 mph in a group and letting loose so it tends to be a good place for a mountain biker to have fun on the road.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg View Post
    I've been MTBing since 99.
    I've had a road bike for about 15 months and around 5,000 miles.

Some of the "roadies" I know are some of the best MTBers I know.

As Cholla said above, there is definitely a cross-training value to each discipline.

There are aspects of each that translate to being a better rider period.

As Maad said, check the hate. There are cool peeps and not so cool peeps in each group. Represent.

PS: The other thing that greatly improved my MTB...getting a SS!
    Well said, I agree completely. Except for the thing about the single speeds, single speeds are just a fad. That's what I keep telling myself since my wife will kick me out if I get another bike. At least the three I have are nice.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Recently I have been doing the BoS ride on Saturdays, I have only done it 3 times so although still a newbie I can already feel a difference in my speed and stamina (faster and longer) while mountain biking. I think it allowed me to complete the FLAG2GC ride in a somewhat respectable time (around 6 hours). I highly recommend it! It is absolutely grueling the first time but I am starting to enjoy it even though I still get dropped around pima and pinnacle peak. One of these days I will be able to hang in the pack for the entirety of the ride.

Oh and yes I do not wear a "kit" I rock sport shorts, a tech T and a helmet that has a visor. No one seems to mind.

Meatbomb