Break it, Fix it, Ride it

It was a Ripsey Weekend

Freeskier and I took to some new-to-us AZT in the Tortilla Mountains, and it was good. We made a loop that used Florence-Kelvin Highway to get us south to some jeep roads, which eventually got us to Ripsey Ranch ruins 16 miles later. There we picked up the AZT for an 18 mile ride back north to the start, which included the Ripsey ridgeline ride. That is quite a climb to tackle at mile 26, but worth it. It was seven miles back down to the car, with intermittent climbing. Great stuff. Its a long day at 9 hours, but we sure weren't pushing the envelope, just happy to be out there, and taking in every moment of it. AZ sure is a special place with some really great riding opportunities. Imagining this section connected to the Alamo Canyon section through White Canyon is almost too much!

Getting ready to set out. Parked at the bridge to catch the new AZT that heads south from the river.

Trailhead is easy to find.

Fog hung among the mountains for quite some time.

There were quite a few corrals along the way.

Great Tree at Ripsey Ranch Ruins.

A portion of the AZT after the ranch followed the powerline, and buzzing followed us the whole way. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Finally, we approach our prey. Ripsey. The ride up is prefaced with a nice downhill run into the wash.

Past the fist set of switchbacks and on to the main event. Riding along the side of that mountain with so much valley below almost made me feel like I was flying, even though I was sucking wind and doing quite a bit of pushing. Freeskier taking in the sights:

The ride between switchback isn't bad at all!

I didn't make one of these, but I came kinda close on one or two. They are tight, loose and some rather steep. Possible, yes, by me - not with legs 27 miles old.

Different view of the switchbacks.

The start of the ridgeline descent.

We'll cross to this ridge, and drop off the north side, back down to the F-K Highway.

Coming down the backside. You can see the F-K highway far below. Two miles beyond that is the car.

It was a perfect day out on the bike. Temps hovered around 65 and puffy clouds watched us ride all day. No serious mech issues, and route finding was a non-issue. Even the mile connector I drew in to get us to Old Florence Road was a success. Its nice seeing a route you put together work out. Thanks to all those that went before to make the ride possible. GPX make planning something like this in a few days possible.

The AZT was pretty faint on the southern stretches at times, but it is signed really well with carins and AZT signs. There was certainly lots of jeep road and double track we rode on, probably the majority of the ride, but it was still a worth-while loop. To get another 18 miles of the AZT (even if part of it was jeep road) was certainly welcome. The Ripsey rideline certainly has to be one of the best in the state. The views were stunning on both sides and the descent back down to the road seemed to go on forever.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    What he said. ^^^^

Awesome pics Dag, I just re-rode our route in my mind scrolling through those gems. Really can't say enough about how much fun the Ripsey descent was, just goes & goes. While the 'Big Hill' was daunting as we approached, neither one of us having much (if any) success on the switchbacks, we seemed to creat the top rather quickly.

Like the photo shows, the TH is super easy to find, with a short paved turnoff from AZ177. It only took us about an hour to drive out there from the Williams Gateway area.

I'll post up a few pics probably on Wed.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Awesome. Great post and pictures. Mind sharing a GPX if you have one?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Looks AWESOME!

I am interested in the GPX also please.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    GPX here
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

My other ride is your mom
    Thanks for the stoke...the fog must have been the icing on the cake.

DFL>DNF>DNS

More pics from Ripsey

From Ripsey

From Ripsey

From Ripsey

From Ripsey

From Ripsey

From Ripsey

From Ripsey

From Ripsey

From Ripsey

From Ripsey