mtbr member

Rim/tire recommendation for AZ trails

I'm asking here because I'm a New England transplant and trail conditions in Scottsdale are different. I have a Giant Trance 27.5 with 2.20 tires. I trashed the rear rim. Not a trail accident. My question is, should I go with something like the new Stan's Crest or Arch that are a little wider and Maxxis Ikons 2.35 120tpi? Or just replace the rear with a factory replacement wheel and keep the same tire?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

My other ride is your mom
    Stans flows have been bomber for a lot of folks around here....crest and arch are on the narrow side unless you're looking for XC racing...as for tire rec's.....seriously?

mtbr member
    I'm 67 y/o. Most of my riding is Brown's Ranch but live close to the Quartz / Taliesen Trail which is Rocky. I weigh 170 RTR. I was thinking the new Wider Arch 26mm. What tire do you recommend? I only mentioned the Ikon because I had good luck with it in Massachusetts
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

IPA tester
    Your tire for AZ question is a good one and there are many, many threads you can find quickly here about what works best. The last few were a bit of a play but there are many real ones to read.
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    i'm asking here because i'm a new england transplant and trail conditions in scottsdale are different. I have a giant trance 27.5 with 2.20 tires. I trashed the rear rim. Not a trail accident. My question is, should i go with something like the new stan's crest or arch that are a little wider and maxxis ikons 2.35 120tpi? Or just replace the rear with a factory replacement wheel and keep the same tire?

Sent from my ipad using tapatalk
    best.post.evah.

.15in is effectively meaningless, you trashed the rim because you rode the McDs, and perhaps you need to get better in those types of conditions. Strength is better than light in AZ, unless you race. Another vote for the Flows.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

live long and huck
    Flow with a MinionSS on the rear. Bullet proof setup for Phoenix area.
    Low and slack.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm a touch heavier than you are loaded up and have been running arches built up by Dave at speed dream. They've been rock solid for three years and probably close to 7k miles. I'm on the XC side of things though, but I ride plenty of rockier stuff including the passes in the McD's. That being said, I'm not fast and I ride pretty conservatively. I roll IKONs for what it is worth.

So... that combo is good for me. Depending on how you ride, it should work out fine for you. If you want even more durability, it can't hurt to go with the Flows.

Trail Ninja
    I suggest Schwalbe ProCore + any 23-30mm ID rim.

Only weighs as much as a normal $5 tube, lets you run low pressure that rivals plus tires, etc. Can find it for as low as $175 shipped. I wouldn't go too wide on rims, since they merely gain volume by pushing the tire sidewalls out (and exposing them more to things that would slash them open). Most of the benefit to traction is from low pressure, and the ProCore prevents burping better.

I think the only reason why it isn't more widely adopted is cause people think 200-250g per wheel is unacceptable. That and it's not cheap.

Opens up lightweight rim and tire options too. Velocity Blunt SS, heck even Light Bicycle 28mm ID Assym rims.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.