Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival weekend- pics

So the Mrs. and I went up to Rim Country for the festival this weekend. It is one of the areas we had not really explored so we wanted to see what it was all about.

I have pics from ride on Fred Haught to Houston Brothers HAB section and back. And a couple of pics from the rim - off 300. That view was just stunning.

On the way back to Payson we stopped in Pine for the Strawberry Festival. Still trying to wrap my head around why that didn't happen in Strawberry - a couple of miles away. Got some pie and strawberry shortcake and then headed out to the Tonto Bridge. This was well worth the side visit. I didn't expect something so, well, big. It was quite stunning. Like the view from the rim - pictures just can't translate the experience.

Camped near Payson and headed up Sunday for the ride along the rim vista trail and around Woods Canyon Lake. Nancy and I headed out before the group since I had to be back home early to pack for a trip. The trails were and odd mix of rocky fun and paved trail. This ride was really about the views. Also, at the lake we got to see some baby bald eagles in their nest and one of the parents perching nearby - very cool.

All in all the weekend was a 10 for us. As always we met some really nice folks and saw a few people we knew from other rides. Saw lots of cool stuff and, despite couple of minutes of rain/sleet/snow, the weather was really great. It was nice to be cold in June.

Anyhow, the pics can at the link below. Hopefully some other folks will post up their pics as well.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/21117...01986607RdSenc

oooh, shiny...
    Very cool. Great pics! Thanks for sharing. All of a sudden my decision to stay local seems like it may have not been the best. At least we had some fantastic weather this weekend in the valley!

Dave
    @ Ryan Yeah I was surprised not to see you there. It was good day. Cold camping the first night. THen hail and snow Sat. made us leave early and drive home Sat night. Bummed I didn't get to camp two nights. YOu never know what's going to happen up there.
    I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, thanks for posting up the pics...they are excellent. It was fun chasing you guys up the hill on Saturday. So you were both on single speeds, taking photos all the way up, and still kicked everybody's a$$...very impressive...

Too bad you guys couldn't have stayed longer on Sunday, after getting around the lake, we rode on over to the other trails, then dropped off the rim on Drew and continued on some killer singletrack back to Trailhead 260. If you get back up there, you'll have to catch that section.

MTBikeAZ.com
    Woods Canyon Lake
    From Woods Canyon-Carr Lake

Carr Lake System
    From Woods Canyon-Carr Lake

Fred Haught (North of AZT)
    From Cabin Loop June 2010

Houston Brothers

Houston Brothers

Tracks:
    Woods Canyon to Carr: https://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=663907

Cabin Loop: https://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=663931
    Mike
    MTBikeAZ.com
    --
    How fast can you climb?
    http://helipadtt.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by azokie
    Too bad you guys couldn't have stayed longer on Sunday, after getting around the lake, we rode on over to the other trails, then dropped off the rim on Drew and continued on some killer singletrack back to Trailhead 260. If you get back up there, you'll have to catch that section.
    Yeah, that drop from the rim sounds great. We'll have to get back up there to check it out.

mtbr member
    Great pics all! A group of us drove up Saturday, and met up with Kaboose and her Kayak buds, at their camp site at Carr Lake for a brisk morning ride. It's always a nice change from the lower Valley...here's a short video of our ride.

Dave

Video of RIM MTB FEST

A short film I made of the great time last weekend at the Strawberry Blues Mountain Bike Festival. I make up my own titles.

I shot this mostly at the beginning of the ride. Many of you were fast and just rode enjoying the wind in your hair or over your head. Some of us took a more relaxed pace. I was somewhere in the middle of both. I rode in the front at the start then stopped to shoot the first video clip and I never saw you guys again. Alone, I rode up the beginning of Houston Bros, and I turned around at 2 miles up and I did enjoy the ride down HB. You were right Mick it was fun maybe I should have gone for the entire 4 miles. Anyway, I ran into a big group at the cabin after I came down HB. Said hi and then continued back and rode most of the cabin loop back without another soul around. It sure is quite up there.
    Thanks Mick W. for advertising the event.
    Be back soon Dave

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Good job!

Mick,
    Nice to meet you and a BIG THANK YOU for putting this together!!

I met so many cool people. I hope to run into them again along the trail sometime.

This is me:

Here is a little bit of video of our ride around Woods Lake and along the Vista Trail.

I put some more pictures on my little blog at www.soaztim.com

mtbr member
    I posted a bunch of pics in this thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=7026873

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast
    A short film I made of the great time last weekend at the Strawberry Blues Mountain Bike Festival. I make up my own titles.

I shot this mostly at the beginning of the ride. Many of you were fast and just rode enjoying the wind in your hair or over your head. Some of us took a more relaxed pace. I was somewhere in the middle of both. I rode in the front at the start then stopped to shoot the first video clip and I never saw you guys again. Alone, I rode up the beginning of Houston Bros, and I turned around at 2 miles up and I did enjoy the ride down HB. You were right Mick it was fun maybe I should have gone for the entire 4 miles. Anyway, I ran into a big group at the cabin after I came down HB. Said hi and then continued back and rode most of the cabin loop back without another soul around. It sure is quite up there.
    Thanks Mick W. for advertising the event.
    Be back soon Dave
    Hey Dave,
    Cool video with a great song (candlebox i believe....correct me if im wrong i gotta download it!) and hey.... i might have been the only one with "no socks" on but riding through that water I bet you all wished you didnt wear em!

Losing Ground

Loop Option

I asked around, but there were not takers. So here's some of what you missed.
    Fred Haught > Ubar > FS 321 > FS 300

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival weekend- pics-cimg5242_ed.jpg

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival weekend- pics-cimg5243_ed.jpg

Heading down into Barbershop Canyon

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival weekend- pics-cimg5244_ed.jpg

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival weekend- pics-cimg5246_ed.jpg

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival weekend- pics-cimg5247_ed.jpg

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival weekend- pics-cimg5248_ed.jpg

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival weekend- pics-cimg5249_ed.jpg

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival weekend- pics-cimg5250_ed.jpg

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival weekend- pics-cimg5252_ed.jpg

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival weekend- pics-cimg5254_ed.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Great video Dave! Thanks for shooting it. The guy in white going over the bars on the stream crossing is a local Payson rider. Glad you got him going down! I had a great time. I too, like you, rode a lot of the ride on my own. Cheers!

Losing Ground

Loop Option Continued

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival weekend- pics-cimg5255_ed.jpg

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival weekend- pics-cimg5256_ed.jpg

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival weekend- pics-cimg5257_ed.jpg

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival weekend- pics-cimg5259_ed.jpg

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival weekend- pics-cimg5260_ed.jpg

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival weekend- pics-cimg5261_ed.jpg

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival weekend- pics-cimg5262_ed.jpg

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival weekend- pics-cimg5263_ed.jpg

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival weekend- pics-cabinloop-06-12-10.jpg

I headed for the road at the Barbershop Trail because of the storm. Just about 27 miles for this loop. I highly recommend getting out in this backcountry. It is a special place.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Wow, Guipago. Nice loop. I see you missed the Fred Haught turnoff as well. At least is looks like you were smart enought to turn around! Great pics too. I sure want to make it back up there.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    Wow, Guipago. Nice loop. I see you missed the Fred Haught turnoff as well. At least is looks like you were smart enought to turn around! Great pics too. I sure want to make it back up there.
    Damn Fred Haught we all missed you! but hey getting lost is at least half the fun....its like a treasure hunt or even worse like "Survivor" if you use up all your water!.....Do bladders come in 200 oz size?

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri-girl
    Hey Dave,
    Cool video with a great song (candlebox i believe....correct me if im wrong i gotta download it!) and hey.... i might have been the only one with "no socks" on but riding through that water I bet you all wished you didnt wear em!
    Yes you are RIGHT Candlebox "Dont You" I didn't get my feet wet cause I found a nice spot 100 ft from the crossing that was a hop-skip-and-jump across the stream without water in my socks.
    I hear you qwere quite cold later, I bet you wished you had some wool socks in that backpack, along with a wool sweater. That rain is frickin cold up there.

Dave
    Guipago, In your 5th and 6th picture in the first post, going down into Box canyon, did you ride that section? I've been there before and its fun, I made that the first time I saw it. Pretty steep. On that aspen tree, chainring marks or something on four legs???hhmmmmm

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    I was in the "pack" at that point. I think everybody missed that turn. I wanted the full trail experience so I turned around. Actually you can loop back around to FS 95, which is what some people did. The trail turn-off is basically a short cut with a steep section.

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival weekend- pics-fedhaughtturn-off.jpg

Losing Ground
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri-girl
    Damn Fred Haught we all missed you! but hey getting lost is at least half the fun....its like a treasure hunt or even worse like "Survivor" if you use up all your water!.....Do bladders come in 200 oz size?
    MSR makes some nice Dromedary bladders. I have a 4L DromLite that will fit in larger CamelBaks. Problem is; water is heavy.

Losing Ground
    Guipago, In your 5th and 6th picture in the first post, going down into Box canyon, did you ride that section? I've been there before and its fun, I made that the first time I saw it. Pretty steep.
    I rode some, walked some. There's not much to save you if you fall over.
    On that aspen tree, chainring marks or something on four legs???hhmmmmm
    Definitely not chainrings. Way too random and all the down and on the other side of the tree. I'm guessing bears sharpening their claws.

Quote Originally Posted by Guipago
    I asked around, but there were not takers. So here's some of what you missed.
    Fred Haught > Ubar > FS 321 > FS 300

Good for you on doing the "full meal deal". No Javelina encounters this time?
    Nancy and I would have come along, but I'm in "get fat for the summer" mode after a full season of AES events. While people like Chad never seem to stop, us old guys need a little down time during the year.
    However, the Crazy 88 is coming up so I might have to start easing up on the beer and ramping up the miles sooner than I thought.

I'm glad we did the shorter version since it gave us a chance to visit the Tonto bridge and the Strawberry festival and fun stuff like that. Made for more of a relaxing weekend.

I'm sure we'll meet up again soon.

--Jeff

Losing Ground
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb
    Good for you on doing the "full meal deal". No Javelina encounters this time?
    Nancy and I would have come along, but I'm in "get fat for the summer" mode after a full season of AES events. While people like Chad never seem to stop, us old guys need a little down time during the year.
    However, the Crazy 88 is coming up so I might have to start easing up on the beer and ramping up the miles sooner than I thought.

I'm glad we did the shorter version since it gave us a chance to visit the Tonto bridge and the Strawberry festival and fun stuff like that. Made for more of a relaxing weekend.

I'm sure we'll meet up again soon.

--Jeff
    Right on, I hear ya.
    I have some routes planned, ~30mi. for the likes of anyone who's interested. No racing, just riding and enjoying company. Does a Prescott Half-Ass sound intriguing?

Right on, I hear ya.
    I have some routes planned, ~30mi. for the likes of anyone who's interested. No racing, just riding and enjoying company. Does a Prescott Half-Ass sound intriguing?
    Sure does. Haven't been to Prescott since the Monstercross. Ready to get back there.

Losing Ground

Prescott Half-Ass

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival weekend- pics-prescott_half-ass.jpg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prescott_Half-Ass.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	439.3 KB 
ID:	550523
    interesting. do you have a .gpx?

mtbr member
    The full cabin loop is a lot of great scenery and one good workout. UBar can be a little tiring, especially on the SS. A couple of good HAB sections also.I love where UBar hits Barbershop and you sidehill through the pines. Barbershop is a great trail too. Kudos for doing that portion.

I usually carry a filter when riding rim country. Which reminds me that I need to get a new one.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Members who have read this thread: 0