mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival & Blues Festival

The Strawberry Valley Blues Festival and Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival are only weeks away. Just wanted to plug the event again and invite any and all who want to come ride the Rim with us on June 12 and 13 while also enjoying a Blues Festival in Strawberry.

Below is a weekend itinerary. I know it's long, but I wanted to try and be as thorough as possible. Some of my mileages may be off a little, but you'll get the gist! If I've made any mistakes, nicely bring it to my attention. I am a busy guy and wrote this up late last night.

Hope to see as many of you there as possible.

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival 2010 Weekend Itinerary

Friday June 11th

-We figure some of you will want to show up on Friday. We donít have an official ride planned for Friday, but we encourage all of you who come into town to do a little exploring on your own. Stop in at Hike, Bike, & Run to say hi, check out the Natural Bridge, hike down to Fossil Creek, hike or mountain bike from the Pine Trailhead, all while taking in the beauty around Paysonís Rim Country.

Saturday June 12th

-THIS IS A FREE RIDE! We will be meeting between 9:00am-9:30am at the General Springs Cabin to ride the Cabin Loop trail system. We want to take a group photo of all riders at 10:00am to start the ride. To find the General Springs Cabin, take Hwy 87 north from the town of Strawberry to Forest Road 300. Turn right (or east) onto Forest Road 300 and drive approximately 10 miles. Look for our white Hike, Bike, & Run van which will be parked alongside the 300 Road. This is where the Arizona Trail crests the top of the Rim. There is a war monument at the junction. The General Springs Cabin is about a half mile down the dirt road to your left (going north, away from the Rim). Here is a link to a map of the Cabin Loop http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/rec...aught-tr.shtml

There are multiple route options to cater to all level of riders.

-Short Loop - Out and back on Fred Haught Trail - 12 mile round trip (easiest option)

-Standard Loop - Fred Haught Trail to Houston Brothers Trail back to Forest Road 300 - 20 mile ride (this will be the loop most of us will be doing - it is a difficult 20 miles).

-Long Loop - Fred Haught Trail to U-Bar Trail to Barbershop Trail to Houston Brothers Trail back to Forest Road 300 - 30-40+ miles (this is a difficult loop with lots of hike-a-bike)

-These are not mandatory group rides. We encourage folks to team up, make new friends, and enjoy some trail magic, but ride your own ride, know the route you will be riding in advance, be prepared, and have fun. This entire route is above 7,000 feet in elevation, and the trail is remote, so be prepared for any trail problems and for any inclement weather.

-After Saturdayís ride, weíll head back to Strawberry or wherever you are staying, clean-up, and hit the Blues Festival. The Blues Festival is in the heart of Strawberry approximately 2 Ĺ miles down Fossil Creek Road. Enjoy the Blues Festival, but make certain to save some energy for Sundayís mountain bike ride.

Sunday June 13th

-ANOTHER FREE RIDE! We will be meeting between 9:00am-9:30am at the Rim Lakes Recreation Area. Go East on Hwy 260 approximately 30 miles east of Payson. When you crest the top of the Rim, you will see a Forest Service Visitor Center on your right. Take a left onto Forest Road 300 (heading towards Woods Canyon Lake), and park in the first parking lot on your right. You will see our white Hike, Bike, & Run van parked here. The parking lot is only a quarter mile off Hwy 260. Here is a link to a map of the Rim Lakes http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/asnf/maps/im..._lakes_map.pdf

We will once again take a group photo at 10:00am to start the ride.

-Short Loop - Rim Vista Loop, using part of the General Crook trail to Woods Canyon Lake and back - 12-13 mile ride (easiest option)

-Medium Loop - Rim Vista Trail to Meadow Trail to Woods Canyon Lake Trail, around Woods Canyon Lake, taking Meadow Trail back to Rim Vista Trail and back to your car - 16-18 mile ride

-Medium Long Loop - All of the above, but going west on the Rim Vista Trail, riding to the Mogollon Campground, then taking the General Crook Trail to the Carr Lake Trailhead, riding the Boulder Hop Trail, then riding back to your car - approximately a 25 mile ride (it is worth checking out the Carr Lake Trails if you can manage the mileage).

-Long Loop - all of the above, but after the Boulder Hop Trail we will take the Drew Trail and ride down the face of the Mogollon Rim (it is a steep downhill but I do it on a rigid single speed), once down the Rim we will take the Highline Trail to See Canyon, then ride back to Christopher Creek where our Hike, Bike, & Run van will shuttle all of us back to our cars on the Rim - upwards of a 30-35 mile ride (this ride is Epic, and if you can go the distance, there is no better way to end a Rim Lakes ride then by dropping the Rim and riding to Christopher Creek - the last 6-7 miles of this ride is extremely technical and difficult, but amazing).

After the ride, you are on your own. You can go home, try and squeeze in a bit more of the Blues Festival, or meet us for dinner in Payson at the Payson Pizza Factory.

Over the course of the weekend, if you like the trails you ride, and can see the potential of Paysonís Rim Country as a mountain biking hot spot, please leave a donation. 100% of all donations will be given to the Black Mesa Ranger district, and will be used for trail maintenance and new trail signage for the Rim Lakes trails.

If you have any questions, email Mick Wolf @ Hike, Bike, & Run at shop@hikebikeandrun.com

Master Gardener
    This sounds great. Nice work, wish I could make it.

My other ride is your mom
    I'm there! (actually, I'm here....I was just projecting)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    A link to the Festival Website would be good.

Also I have heard and seen nothing of this advertised in Flagstaff!

With PMA down for the count for the time being I imagine alot of folks are jonsin for some live outdoor music up in Flagstaff!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

www.mtbikeaz.com

Mike at www.mtbikeaz.com enhanced my post a bit, and re-posted it onto his website with more links and maps. Check it out!

Thanks again Mike

sprocket
    mmm. Cabin Loop was sublime last weekend!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival & Blues Festival-f.jpg  

Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival & Blues Festival-g.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I haven't built an official website for the Mountain Bike Festival, but may do so for next year. Mike at www.mtbikeaz.com has done a fab job listing the event on his website. The Blues Festival can be found at www.strawberryvalleyblues.com. The event link to the Mountain Bike Festival on Facebook is http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/event.php?eid=109073905778030. The Blues Festival Facebook site is here http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Strawberry-Valley-Blues-Festival/111745495508850?ref=ts.

The Mountain Bike Festival only became a reality a couple of months ago. This will be the 2nd year for the Blues Festival. Hopefully both will grow into something great.

I will heavily promote the event over the next week (late notice to many I know), and will try and better get the word out to the Flagstaff crowd and all the other towns too!

Cheers!

ride more, blog less
    if you have facebook you can find more info as well
    i like these odds....

anyone have .gpx files for these loops?

Tucson, AZ
    Looks like some stellar events. Great idea!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Mike at www.mtbikeaz.com may have those files!

Losing Ground
    Check out this super site! There are downloadable .GPX's (check the attachments)
    http://www.gpsjoe.net/

mtbr member
    Mick - a little more info for you. Hope it helps.

Saturdays standard loop should be a little less than 20 miles. Having ridden this area regularly, I would term it a moderate ride. Lots of flowy singletrack through the pines with some small climbs. FR 300 going west is easier than 300 going east. Good choice of route.

For the Long loop it should be about 25 miles and yes, it is a difficult ride because of several loose and HAB sections on UBar and Barbershop. Fred Haught and Houston Bros. are absolute blasts to ride. Lots of flowy singletrack through the pines next to a stream with ferns lining sections of the trail. There are some climbs, but totally doable for those with a moderate skill set. UBar and Barbershop both have some steep loose climbing and HAB on them. The change of terrain on these two trails will challenge people on this loop because of the length of the ride. This isn't a 2 hour, 24 mile ride at SOMO or McDowell. Plan for at least a solid 3-4 hours of saddle time.

Looks like you have some great rides planned, hope mucho people show up. The temps will be awesome and the views even better! Great job putting this together.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    mmm. Cabin Loop was sublime last weekend!
    Looks great Yeti. Heading up 30th for a week to R&R with the family and ride. Looking forward to it.
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Very glad to hear that some dirtheads will be up for the blues fest. Cold IPA's, mt bikes, and live music.. (and cool temps) must be what heaven is like.

im4Gsus

question about sunday's ride

i'll be camping friday-sunday near the carr lake trail system with some friends who kayak and are beginner/intermediate XC riders. on saturday we're riding the carr trails. my question is about the difficulty of the loop described below. i've never ridden any of these trails and would like to join y'all if they're not too technical. your help is appreciated.

Sunday's Medium Loop - Rim Vista Trail to Meadow Trail to Woods Canyon Lake Trail, around Woods Canyon Lake, taking Meadow Trail back to Rim Vista Trail and back to your car - 16-18 mile ride
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

!@#$%&!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    i'll be camping friday-sunday near the carr lake trail system with some friends who kayak and are beginner/intermediate XC riders. on saturday we're riding the carr trails. my question is about the difficulty of the loop described below. i've never ridden any of these trails and would like to join y'all if they're not too technical. your help is appreciated.

Sunday's Medium Loop - Rim Vista Trail to Meadow Trail to Woods Canyon Lake Trail, around Woods Canyon Lake, taking Meadow Trail back to Rim Vista Trail and back to your car - 16-18 mile ride
    Ditto.

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by zukicidal
    Ditto.
    huh???
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

!@#$%&!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    huh???
    Sorry, I meant ditto just on this part:

my question is about the difficulty of the loop described below. i've never ridden any of these trails and would like to join y'all if they're not too technical. your help is appreciated.

I'm thinking of coming up for that too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Trail Mileage

Thanks for the update on the mileages. I'm an old school single speeder who doesn't use GPS or a cycling computer, so I'm a bit antiquated. I figured someone would set my mileages straight as I was guestimating high I have done a whole Cabin Loop ride in which my buddy's computer had 45 miles on it, but we did a bit more than the big loop that day.

I've been meaning to get up on the Cabin Loop this year to get the mileages, but winter held on later than normal, and I am working 6-day weeks, averaging 60-70 hour work weeks in my shop, plus I have 3 kids under the age of 3. I'll go up this weekend or next.

As for the Rim Lakes and the Carr Lake loop, I was at Woods Canyon Lake on Sunday, and there was a lot of deadfall on that trail (the most I've seen in the 2 1/2 years I've been here). I noticed the Rim Vista Trail was under construction in some parts.

The Carr Lake loop offers some of the most mellow, non-technical riding on the Rim. It's perfect for all levels of riders, and I haven't met a person yet who doesn't come away from that trail saying it is absolutely beautiful. Most of the Rim Lakes riding is mellow. Woods Canyon Lake gets really rocky and techy on the backside. The hardest part of the Rim Lakes Ride we'll be doing on Sunday during the festival is for those who will choose to drop the Drew Trail to Christopher Creek!

For those of you coming to the Festival who live in towns that have well maintained, regularly ridden singletrack, our Rim Trails are a bit rougher around the edges. Expect more deadfall than you are use to. The three biggest limitations to our Rim Trails are regular maintenance, good signage, and regular use. A lot of the trails get used so little that they get overgrown. The first few times you ride these Rim Trails, it's easy to get displaced too.

All that is slowly changing. The Forest Service has ordered new signage for the Rim Lakes trails, more people are coming up to ride them, and there is an interest to do more maintenance. The Cabin Loop has gained a lot of interest since 08.

If you can see the potential the Mogollon Rim above Payson has for mountain biking, then hopefully this Festival will generate a lot more interest and we can get a lot more people out on these trails.

It's an awesome area with huge potential. The trails are already there. They just need your LOVE.

I'm excited about the Festival and can't wait to see you all there.

Cheers,

Mick Wolf

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Trail Maintenance

I plan to ride the Cabin Loop this Sunday, so if anyone wants to join me, meet me at the General Springs Cabin at 10am. I will be riding the pace of my dog, who is quite the runner, but I plan to take some breaks, do a little trail maintenance, etc. etc. and basically spend all day outside.

I just got off the phone with the Rim Lakes Forest Service guy, and he said he has trail crews scheduled to come in the first/second week of June to do some maintenance, clear deadfall, etc. etc. I hope they can clear most everything we will be riding. They are also re-paving the Rim Vista Trail from the Vista Overlook to the Meadow Trail (which is paved too), and they are paving a new mile of trail from the Meadow Trail to the Mogollon Campground. They should be paving it the first week of June as well.

For those who've ridden the Cabin Loop this spring, was it clear, or did it have a lot of deadfall?

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by mickbwolf
    I plan to ride the Cabin Loop this Sunday, so if anyone wants to join me, meet me at the General Springs Cabin at 10am. I will be riding the pace of my dog, who is quite the runner, but I plan to take some breaks, do a little trail maintenance, etc. etc. and basically spend all day outside.

I just got off the phone with the Rim Lakes Forest Service guy, and he said he has trail crews scheduled to come in the first/second week of June to do some maintenance, clear deadfall, etc. etc. I hope they can clear most everything we will be riding. They are also re-paving the Rim Vista Trail from the Vista Overlook to the Meadow Trail (which is paved too), and they are paving a new mile of trail from the Meadow Trail to the Mogollon Campground. They should be paving it the first week of June as well.

For those who've ridden the Cabin Loop this spring, was it clear, or did it have a lot of deadfall?

Not to bad! But, I kinda like the downed trees.

mtbr member
    I'll be up there Sunday through Wed and will check some of it out.
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Carr Lake

Got 16 miles in at Carr Lake this evening. The trail is in rockin' good shape, only 6-8 downed trees on the main loop. I cleared everything I could by hand and added a few cairns and downed trees at some of the junctions to better mark the route. Will be riding the Cabin Loop tomorrow, though I may hit the trailhead a little later than 10am as posted above!

mtbr member
    You riding the whole loop? I'm heading up this am and will most likely hit parts of it Sun, Mon, Tues.
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Cabin Loop

Yes, I am just about to leave to go ride the Cabin Loop, I'm going to ride the Houston Brothers/Fred Haught Loop counterclockwise! Likely be at the trailhead by noon!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Cabin Loop

Spent all afternoon on the Cabin Loop. I cleared a lot of debris off the trail, and was able to move quite a few big trees too. Lots of hikers and backpackers out today. The most I've ever seen. I'm split on whether the trail is better ridden clockwise or counterclockwise, but I will say that the northern 4 miles of the Houston Brothers trail, as you are riding north, are 4 of the sweetest miles of singletrack you could ever ride. Fast, flowy and oh so f'ing beautiful.

Dave
    Spent all afternoon on the Cabin Loop. I cleared a lot of debris off the trail, and was able to move quite a few big trees too. Lots of hikers and backpackers out today. The most I've ever seen. I'm split on whether the trail is better ridden clockwise or counterclockwise, but I will say that the northern 4 miles of the Houston Brothers trail, as you are riding north, are 4 of the sweetest miles of singletrack you could ever ride. Fast, flowy and oh so f'ing beautiful.
    I remember the Houston Bros being a *****, a lot of HAB in a nd out of small canyons. You must have rode that part CCW?
    I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Cabin Loop Route

The southern 2 to 2 1/2 miles of the Houston Brothers Trail are a *****. I don't enjoy them (especially on a single speed), and it is a lot of hike-a-bike.

I think the way I am going to ride the Cabin Loop from now on is as an out and back riding from General Springs Cabin down the Fred Haught Trail to the Houston Brothers, riding the first 4 miles of the Houston Brothers (before the hike-a-bike sections begin), and then turning around and riding back the way I came. I am guessing it will make it a 20 mile ride. This way will be all trail, it will take out needing to ride the Rim Road, and it will by-pass the bad hike-a-bike sections on the southern end of the Houston Brothers Trail.

When you leave the Pinchot Springs Cabin heading south on the Houston Brothers Trail, it's a gradual climb up that drainage. When the climb gets steeper and you top out at a double track (there will be a large brown metal Houston Brothers Trail sign to your right), that's the place to turn around. From that point back to the Cabin is pure bliss!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Any groups heading up from phx and camping?

Need more cowbell
    The southern 2 to 2 1/2 miles of the Houston Brothers Trail are a *****. I don't enjoy them (especially on a single speed), and it is a lot of hike-a-bike.
    We did this loop clockwise 2 weeks ago and it was great. The last part of Houston Brothers is pretty brutal, especially after riding all day. We camped at General Springs cabin and had a great time. If you haven't been up there, its worth the trip.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    So where's the best place to camp up there? I know of a few places such as Woods Canyon, Willow Springs, Blue Ridge etc. but have never been to any. I'd like some place that is close to both rides, but I think they are on opposite sides of the rim. Woods Canyon seems like a good place to start. This seems kinda far from the Blues Festival though. I'm guessing that it would take a while to get there from Woods Canyon. Blue Ridge is a little closer though..... And this is my dilemma. Any tips? I've got no problem going primitive.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm in the same boat. Thinking this will be a good place.

http://www.camparizona.com/Campsites...ton%20Mesa.htm

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Looking forward to the ride on Sat., first time on the Cabin Loop. Planning on just making it an up/back on Sat. Sounds like the turnout should be pretty good.

!@#$%&!
    I'm planning on the Sunday easy run. Will there happen to be any loaner or rental bikes available? I'd like to bring my wife but she doesn't have a bike yet. She wants to try it out first.

!@#$%&!
    Bueller...

Dave
    I'll be camping at large so dont take my spot!!

Its a nice spot too

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast
    I'll be camping at large so dont take my spot!!

Its a nice spot too
    How close is it to the trail heads, and strawberry?

Dave
    Jimmyj it's a couple of miles away from the AZT TH. That's all the info you're getting out of me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm coming up for this ride with my wife, although she doesn't ride. We're gonna drive up Saturday morning, I'll ride and then we'll go to the blues festival later that day and camp Sat night. Hope to see y'all up there.

I've decided to camp at Houston Mesa. The location seems maximized for both the Blues Festival and the Cabin Loop. Strawberry is about 15 miles away. I didn't find anything closer to Strawberry. For the rides on Sunday there is a bit of a drive east on 260, but I think getting to the Cabin Loop might take some time too. Houston Mesa is a little more civilized than I like my camping, but we're not in the camping zone just yet and it would be nice to be next to some amenities while we work the bugs out. There are some sites further down Houston Mesa Road if one wants to venture up the AZ Trail straight up to where the Cabin Loops start but that is a steeeeeep up. Hiked it last year and riding it would be some work. Nice camping at the bottom but it was packed when I was there. Can't wait to hit the Cabin Loop for the first time. Love new Trail!

Here's a good interactive map of camping up on the rim for those still searching.
    http://www.camparizona.com/Campsites...ampgrounds.htm

!@#$%&!
    Edit
    Last edited by zukicidal; 06-10-2010 at 09:04 PM.

Just another half mile...
    There are lots of great primative camping spots along the Rim Road (FR 300) between SR 87 and General Srpings Cabin TH. Lots of side roads off of FR 300, some lead to camps right on the edge of the rim with awesome views. Here is a MAP that may help you naviagate the road along the Rim road. Detailed trail MAP of the Cabin Loops

Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    So where's the best place to camp up there? I know of a few places such as Woods Canyon, Willow Springs, Blue Ridge etc. but have never been to any. I'd like some place that is close to both rides, but I think they are on opposite sides of the rim. Woods Canyon seems like a good place to start. This seems kinda far from the Blues Festival though. I'm guessing that it would take a while to get there from Woods Canyon. Blue Ridge is a little closer though..... And this is my dilemma. Any tips? I've got no problem going primitive.

mtbr member
    Im in.... but not sure which ride to do. I want the distance without all the hike a bike . Any reccomendations for long but clipped in the whole ride??

"Yabut"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri-girl
    Im in.... but not sure which ride to do. I want the distance without all the hike a bike . Any reccomendations for long but clipped in the whole ride??
    You'll be fine.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBike'sBroken
    You'll be fine.
    So you guys think this is a Santa Cruz blur or a Single Speed sort of loop?
    I can only fit one bike to bring so I'm trying to decide.

mtbr member
    The HAB on Houston Bros is short and steep through the pines, there are 2 ( North to South) and in the end of the middle third / start of last third of the trail.

HAB on UBar ( going clockwise ) is after the first couple miles and loose rock, steep, and a little longer than Houston Bros. Some beautiful scenery at the bottom of UBar after you cross 139 and drop down to the creek( to set you up for the HAB around the corner ). The last third of UBar is fun and kind of a side hill trail.

Barbershop is pretty good all the way through with some ups and downs in and out of the trees.

Keep in mind I ride a SS 29er with a 32/18 gear.

All the meadows and undergrowth beneath the pines is super green right now. Absolutely georgous.

Weather Saturday is calling for 68 degrees and a chance of showers / T storms. Same on Sunday. Pack a rain shell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rim Country Mountain Bike Festival & Blues Festival-aztblueridge_tr.gif  

you're lucky enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    There are lots of great primative camping spots along the Rim Road (FR 300) between SR 87 and General Srpings Cabin TH. Lots of side roads off of FR 300, some lead to camps right on the edge of the rim with awesome views. Here is a MAP that may help you naviagate the road along the Rim road. Detailed trail MAP of the Cabin Loops
    Nice maps, thanks. I've enjoyed many of your other ones and I'll be glad to add this to the collection. Thanks for the tip on primitive sites along the rim. I like it but the rest of my crew appreciates the basic amenities afforded by a campground. Gotta get up there and explore some more. Next time. Sure would be nice to find that AZ highways and get the legend for that second map. I'm curious as to what the numbers are. I have an old bound collection of them somewhere....

sprocket

cabin loop!

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    -Standard Loop - Fred Haught Trail to Houston Brothers Trail back to Forest Road 300 - 20 mile ride (this will be the loop most of us will be doing - it is a difficult 20 miles).

Anyone familiar with this loop? I would like to get in this distance yet would like to have ideas on type of terrain. Its posted as a "difficult 20 miles" ....meaning technical steep loose rocky shale cliffs wanna get off my bike n go back to the car ride??

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri-girl

Anyone familiar with this loop? I would like to get in this distance yet would like to have ideas on type of terrain. Its posted as a "difficult 20 miles" ....meaning technical steep loose rocky shale cliffs wanna get off my bike n go back to the car ride??

It is not that terribly bad. There are a few stretches of difficulty, but they will be over before you know it.

mtbr member
    South to north, Fred has a nice start and builds into some short climbs. Some are steep, but not long. Totally doable on a geared bike or SS. The last part of Fred has some techy stuff, but not as much as you'll see at SOMO. You'll descend to 95 and climb 95 to Houston TH.

Houston north to south starts along the creek bottom and winds through the pines for a few miles and then mixes it up with a short, steep climb then flattens back out and then another short / steeper climb to the top. Then you go along the sidehill and start to drop down to FS 300.

300 to General Springs is pretty easy this direction. A couple of ups and downs, nothing major.

This is a great ride with a good combination of terrain. Look at epicrider's topo above and you'll see the contour lines get closer / more climbing. Farther apart / less climbing.

Shaley cliffs back to the car get me out of here ride? No. This ride is a workout, but what a reward!
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Yeti - heading up or too crowded for the bike packer in you?
    you're lucky enough.

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy
    Yeti - heading up or too crowded for the bike packer in you?
    too crowded, but I will be there on the periphery.

mtbr member
    Trying to get the family to let me do all of Cabin Loop sat with a friend.
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

New Update From Mick

Sorry I am responding so late with this post and update. I am a busy man.

All my original itinerary still applies. I am not changing anything, and don't want to confuse people, but for Saturday's Cabin Loop ride here are two more options that I think may better suit MOST of us.

First, from the junction of Hwy 87 and Fossil Creek Road in Strawberry, it is 10 miles north on Hwy 87 to the 300 Road. Once you turn onto the 300 Road, it is 12 miles of dirt road driving to the Cabin Loop trailhead.

As for camping, there are endless opportunities up and down the entire Rim. Houston Mesa Campground in Payson is the best choice for those who want a campground with amenities that is smack dab in the middle of everything. Good choice for those who posted that above. There is some great camping right at the Cabin Loop trailhead too, and there are endless campgrounds in the Rim Lakes, though they fill up in summer. There is free dispersed camping near the Blues Festival, but it is primitive, and isn't at an official campground.

Going back to the Cabin Loop route, I should have made this an option from Day 1, but I like loops, and for larger group rides, loops are often better. After riding the Cabin Loop 2 weekends ago, I PERSONALLY think the Cabin Loop is best ridden as an out-and-back. Others may disagree

With this said, those wanting the 12 miler can do the Fred Haught as an out-and-back as already planned. Those wanting 20 primo miles of the Cabin Loop that don't include riding 5 miles of the 300 Road, or having to incur the tough hike-a-bike on the southern end of the Houston Brothers Trail can do this............ride the Fred Haught Trail to Pinchot Springs Cabin, then ride the first 4 miles of the Houston Brothers Trail (heading south). It will be a gradual climb. When the climb steepens, and you top out at a double track, this is the turn-a-round spot. There is a brown metal Forest Service sign that says Houston Brothers Trail at this double track. When you turn around, those 4 miles you just gradually climbed will be 4 of the sweetest miles you will ever ride (heading back down), and the Fred Haught Trail back to the car will be mellow as well. This is the route I am likely going to ride on Saturday, and I will re-announce this option then too.

For those wanting longer miles on the Cabin Loop, who also want to skip the 300 Road and the hike-a-bike on the Houston Brothers Trail (at least most of it)...........you can ride Fred Haught Trail to U-Bar Trail to Barbershop Trail, then when the Barbershop Trail meets up with the Houston Brothers Trail, you can head north on the Houston Brothers Trail to the Pinchot Springs Cabin, then take the Fred Haught Trail back to your car. I've never ridden the loop this way (it kind of makes a partial figure 8), though I have ridden all of these trails, but I think it would make for a more enjoyable route.........Just my two cents!

Like I said before, this an open, do-it-yourself, ride-at-your-own-pace ride. Ride in a group or ride on your own. There are no group leaders, or mandatory stay in group rules. I plan to hang back, ride a mellow pace, and help anyone with any trail issues. I am also not going to be in any hurry to get the ride over with (unless it rains), so for those with the same mindset, just keep me and my dog in your sights if you don't want to risk taking a wrong turn, or being out on your own There should be a couple of other local Payson riders who are fast and know this trail, who can lead out the front of the pack.

Last weekend I was in Heber, and there was a monsoon to the NE (the first one I've seen this summer). It didn't hit Heber or the Rim Lakes, but BE PREPARED for an afternoon shower. If it rains up there, it can pour, and it can be quite chilly when these monsoons blow through. There is a 30% chance of rain for the weekend in Forest Lakes, which likely means the entire Rim above Payson could see rain. Forest Lakes often gets pounded with monsoons, and I've seen it pour at Willow Springs Lake while Carr Lake stays dry.

As for Sunday's ride, nothing has changed for the route. I talked to the Forest Service guy a couple of days ago and he said that his trail crews should have our entire route cleared by Sunday (fingers crossed).

One last thing about Sunday's ride. If you are going to do the entire ride (dropping off the Rim to Christopher Creek), some of you may want to park your cars at Christopher Creek. We definitely need a few vehicles parked at Christopher Creek to help shuttle people back to their cars on the Rim (it's an 8 mile drive). If anyone wants to help shuttle, or wants to park at Christopher Creek, call or email me and we will work out the details. I have a passenger van that I will be shuttling with, but it would be great to have a few more cars to help.

As for Sunday's ride, if you can go the distance, there is no better way to end a Rim Lakes Ride than by dropping the Drew Trail down to the Highline Trail and down to Christopher Creek. It is an incredible downhill (and I do it on a rigid single speed though it is technically tough).

I am looking forward to seeing ALL OF YOU there!

Cheers,

Mick Wolf
    shop@hikebikeandrun.com
    (928) 478-6918

mtbr member
    Count me in for both days. May have a couple friends show up as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

AZOkie?

AZOkie, You from Oklahoma?

Dave
    Thanks Mick you're doing a great job. I hope we stay dry, who's in????

My wife and I will be there.

Hoping it stays dry!

--Jeff

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    2 from Prescott showing up in my car. Looking forward to riding some new trails. Undecided on if we are camping and staying for the Sunday rides too. See y'all in the morning.

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy
    Trying to get the family to let me do all of Cabin Loop sat with a friend.
    Not sure what I am riding yet. All day though!

mtbr member
    Had a blast today! I got there 10 minutes late and missed the main group but I eventually ran into 4 other people and had a blast with them! We got lost pretty badly at one point and somehow looped back onto ourselves. We did the Fred Haught trail to Houston Brothers, down HB until just before the HAB and turned around. The lighting was getting closer so we tried to book it back but I bonked out pretty badly on the way back. Then add the rain and hail storm and everything was just peachy! In the end we did 22 miles (thanks to those lost miles wondering back and forth on FR95).

Thanks to Pat, Amy, Rick, Jean (I think?), and freeskier46 (I am REALLY bad with names!!) for waiting up for me and dealing with my sloooowness. Had a blast guys!

II'll post up some pics soon!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    No worries Arturo (sp?), had an absolute grand time today. Like yourself, I was late in arriving, 20 mins., and wasn't sure I'd catch up to anyone. Luckily, AZFarmer, John, showed up late as well and we were off. Didn't expect it to take an hour from Payson!! I was able to get through the HAB on Houston, the hail, 6 elk, 2 mule deer and an early submerged left foot during a water crossing. Good times. I'll post some pics & a link tomorrow.
    -John

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey Mick, I missed meeting you entirely (sorry about that), misjudged the driving time from Mesa by 15 minutes. I took a bad spill on one of those steep switchbacks about 1/2 mile in and tore up my knee, but continued on. Except for that first techy part, the remainder of the Fred Haught that I saw was pretty rideable and gorgeous. Some of the uphills were pretty trying, but fun nonetheless. My knee was swelling and hurting pretty badly by the time I got to FR95, so I took the trail a short way down further and then turned back to catch 95 back to the cabin. Had a great time, except for that crashing part. Maybe I'll catch you next time. Thanks for a scenic ride.

mtbr member
    AZOkie, You from Oklahoma?
    Yes sir, born in Anadarko, OK...lived in OKC and moved to AZ back in '87 to seek my fortune!

!@#$%&!
    Hey, just want to say we had a blast today (Sunday). We followed the rim trail and then made the loop around Woods Cyn Lake and back. 14.5 miles. Great views and good times!

Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro
    Had a blast today! I got there 10 minutes late and missed the main group but I eventually ran into 4 other people and had a blast with them! We got lost pretty badly at one point and somehow looped back onto ourselves. We did the Fred Haught trail to Houston Brothers, down HB until just before the HAB and turned around. The lighting was getting closer so we tried to book it back but I bonked out pretty badly on the way back. Then add the rain and hail storm and everything was just peachy! In the end we did 22 miles (thanks to those lost miles wondering back and forth on FR95).
    Its not a mountian bike ride unless you're wandering around lost for a bit. You were at least smart enought to bring a map. Left mine in the car. I wanted to head up HB with you all but I was sitting on a bit of a schedule, had to turn around at Pinchot Cabin. So when you came back, did you take Fred Haught all the way back through that section that we missed? I just went back the way we came up. I was getting tired, hungry and I left behind my PB&J so my exploing time was over. I'm curious to know what that section was like and where the turn off was. I think finding it is a good excuse to revisit. I got back to the car right when the hail started coming down. Ended up with 18 miles. Good times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    Its not a mountian bike ride unless you're wandering around lost for a bit. You were at least smart enought to bring a map. Left mine in the car. I wanted to head up HB with you all but I was sitting on a bit of a schedule, had to turn around at Pinchot Cabin. So when you came back, did you take Fred Haught all the way back through that section that we missed? I just went back the way we came up. I was getting tired, hungry and I left behind my PB&J so my exploing time was over. I'm curious to know what that section was like and where the turn off was. I think finding it is a good excuse to revisit. I got back to the car right when the hail started coming down. Ended up with 18 miles. Good times.
    To be honest I don't remember if we covered the missing part because I think we may have stuck to the original track. I know we bypassed the steep switchback part taking the forest road up but the other part we originally missed I think we hit on the way back. I was too hungry and tired on the way back so there are gaps in my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro
    To be honest I don't remember if we covered the missing part because I think we may have stuck to the original track. I know we bypassed the steep switchback part taking the forest road up but the other part we originally missed I think we hit on the way back. I was too hungry and tired on the way back so there are gaps in my memory.

Funny, I would have been in the same place if I continued on with y'all. The last mile or so my legs were already at the car. That elevation eats up all my energy. I spend too much effort on just trying to breath. It must be a lot of work spinning those big tires you've got...

Dave

Video Rim MTB Festival June 12th

Video I made of the Rim MTB Fest can be found at this link.

Some of you are in here for sure. Mick , yeap, Doug yeap, Rick yeap, keep looking to find yourself there was a lot of us there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Thank You!

Thank You to everyone who showed up on Saturday and Sunday. It was an awesome turn-out, and I was blown away by how many people came. I was absolutely in shock to see so many riders. I hope all of you enjoyed the riding, and I hope all of you will come back to ride these trails again and again.

I think we all got our money's worth on Saturday. It was cool, breezy, lush, green, wet, it rained, it hailed, and it thundered and lightning'd. The Cabin Loop is not an easy trail, and it sounds like we were all feeling it after the ride. All good stuff!

For a FREE event that wasn't heavily promoted, it couldn't have been better in my opinion. I was hoping to do a little more with the event, and originally I had my wife and parents coming in to help out, but my wife had a pregnancy/medical issue that left me on my own, so it limited what I could do. Next time we do this, we'll better plan the whole weekend.

I think the one thing that would make this type of event even more primo would be a big group camping spot near the trailhead. When I got back to my van in the thunder, hail, rain.........I was sure wishing I had a campsite set-up with some cold drink, a warm campfire, and other riders to talk trail with. We'll have to make that an option the next time.

Cheers!

Mick

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Good job!

Mick,
    Nice to meet you and a BIG THANK YOU for putting this together!!

I met so many cool people. I hope to run into them again along the trail sometime.

Here is a little bit of video of our ride around Woods Lake and along the Vista Trail.

I put some more pictures on my little blog at www.soaztim.com

Thank You to everyone who showed up on Saturday and Sunday. It was an awesome turn-out, and I was blown away by how many people came. I was absolutely in shock to see so many riders. I hope all of you enjoyed the riding, and I hope all of you will come back to ride these trails again and again.

I think we all got our money's worth on Saturday. It was cool, breezy, lush, green, wet, it rained, it hailed, and it thundered and lightning'd. The Cabin Loop is not an easy trail, and it sounds like we were all feeling it after the ride. All good stuff!

For a FREE event that wasn't heavily promoted, it couldn't have been better in my opinion. I was hoping to do a little more with the event, and originally I had my wife and parents coming in to help out, but my wife had a pregnancy/medical issue that left me on my own, so it limited what I could do. Next time we do this, we'll better plan the whole weekend.

I think the one thing that would make this type of event even more primo would be a big group camping spot near the trailhead. When I got back to my van in the thunder, hail, rain.........I was sure wishing I had a campsite set-up with some cold drink, a warm campfire, and other riders to talk trail with. We'll have to make that an option the next time.

Cheers!

Mick

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Great pics and awesome video! If anyone else has pics and video, post them!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Here's a link to a photo album from my Cabin Loop ride: Fred Haught-HoustonBros-FR300

mtbr member
    I put some more pictures on my little blog at www.soaztim.com[/QUOTE]

SOAZ - Thanks for posting up the pics and video...looks like the chesty mount worked out OK...Enjoyed riding with you and you're buddies. Too bad you didn't drop the rim with us on the Drew Trail...the crazy downhiller dude (with the beard) from BC just bombed it, plowing through technical rock sections, flying around corners...I've never seen anything like it...You were doing well on the single speed, that may be your calling!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by azokie
    I put some more pictures on my little blog at www.soaztim.com
    SOAZ - Thanks for posting up the pics and video...looks like the chesty mount worked out OK...Enjoyed riding with you and you're buddies. Too bad you didn't drop the rim with us on the Drew Trail...the crazy downhiller dude (with the beard) from BC just bombed it, plowing through technical rock sections, flying around corners...I've never seen anything like it...You were doing well on the single speed, that may be your calling![/QUOTE]

azokie,
    I think I need to angle the chesty up even more, but thanks for showing me the upside down trick. I can't believe it never occurred to me! hahaha.
    I have to admit, Sunday's ride was so mellow I was ready to follow you guys, but both of my friends are getting back into riding after many years so I think they were done.
    The SS is fun so far, but I think I'll be keeping my Santa Cruz though. I was envious seeing you guys ride down some of the really rough stuff and drop offs.

I can only imagine what it looked like seeing him ride the really rough stuff! He flew down a couple of tough spots on the backside of Woods Lake.

If you want to hit a ride up down here in the valley of death let me know!

mtbr member
    I think I need to angle the chesty up even more, but thanks for showing me the upside down trick.
    If you want to hit a ride up down here in the valley of death let me know! [/QUOTE]

Yes, I've shot quite a lot of video with my knees bobbing up and down in the bottom of the frame. You really have to angle that mount up. Probably should mark it somehow, once it gets dialed in.

I'll probably be doing most of my riding up North for a while. What part of the Valley do you live in?...I'm way out on the west side in Palm Valley, so I ride Estrella and the White Tanks a lot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by azokie
    I think I need to angle the chesty up even more, but thanks for showing me the upside down trick.
    If you want to hit a ride up down here in the valley of death let me know!

Yes, I've shot quite a lot of video with my knees bobbing up and down in the bottom of the frame. You really have to angle that mount up. Probably should mark it somehow, once it gets dialed in.

I'll probably be doing most of my riding up North for a while. What part of the Valley do you live in?...I'm way out on the west side in Palm Valley, so I ride Estrella and the White Tanks a lot.[/QUOTE]

I HOPE to do a lot of riding up north, but I'm in north phoenix so I ride over to 40th street entrance to the Trail 100 area after work a couple times a week.

Members who have read this thread: 0