LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015

Riding the White Line trail

Heading to Sedona next week and want to check this out. Whats that left hand sewitchback like after the first white line part? Is it all blown out or a nice line through it? I notice in the videos everyone goes very slow and steady, ive never saw a video of it up close though. Ill be there from the 21-28 if anybody wants to ride it with me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    Heading to Sedona next week and want to check this out. Whats that left hand sewitchback like after the first white line part? Is it all blown out or a nice line through it? I notice in the videos everyone goes very slow and steady, ive never saw a video of it up close though. Ill be there from the 21-28 if anybody wants to ride it with me.
    It's on slickrock. Nothing switchback about it. Turn down the nose and turn again to go back the other way. A party trick really but if your brakes fail your dead.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    It's on slickrock. Nothing switchback about it. Turn down the nose and turn again to go back the other way. A party trick really but if your brakes fail your dead.
    I am going to walk it with my dog for sure i just wanted to start the mental visualization process. Im not that good of a rider in like slow tight steep areas going down yet and my bike setup plays into that some.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    If you plan on walking, I would make sure you have some good rubber on your shoes and not the hard plastic soles of some XC shoes.

I was given advice to walk it out and back first before riding it a couple years ago and scared the hell out of myself a couple of times when my shoes slid a little some of the steeper, off camber sections.

I should have not bothered walking as the tires gripped it waaaaaay better.

mtbr member
    it is not scary when you get there as it looks from below. However the penalty for failure is massive. You die. It not as much test of skill than of bravery.

I am not brave.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    This is the first video of anyone making the turn. Rider is m77ranger and filmed by raisingarizona in Dec 2010.
    Last edited by rockman; 03-12-2018 at 03:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    No Strava segment??
    Who's got the KOM ?

mtbr member
    The lower line is trickier than the white line IMO.

Meatbomb
    My palms are sweaty just from watching that.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin MD View Post
    The lower line is trickier than the white line IMO.
    Keyhole? It does look quite a bit more off camber. Mad props to anyone duplicating Simon's line on Cathedral Rock.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar-man View Post
    If you plan on walking, I would make sure you have some good rubber on your shoes and not the hard plastic soles of some XC shoes.

I was given advice to walk it out and back first before riding it a couple years ago and scared the hell out of myself a couple of times when my shoes slid a little some of the steeper, off camber sections.

I should have not bothered walking as the tires gripped it waaaaaay better.
    I was planning on walking it barefoot, because i heard if you walk barefoot on the rocks in Sedona they have magical powers.

livin' the dream......
    Super impressive. What are the recommended tires for this? (j/k, could not resist!)
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    Super impressive. What are the recommended tires for this? (j/k, could not resist!)
    Hah! el imposer already got the first jab in with the STARVA inference tho!😎 Like a train or car wreck I just has to slow down to checkout where this post of Lanes will end up going. 😜
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandy Mclovin View Post
    It's like one GIANT roller! lol, nice!
    The video doesn't do this ride justice, it's extremely steep and a fall will result in 100' + tumble. About 40% of the way down there is a 10' jump to a negative slope landing.
    Unlike the white line (now done by many others) which is scary but not technically challenging, this has not been attempted by anyone else, to my knowledge.

mtbr member
    This is one of the better vids of alternate lines in Sedona.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The WL is all about the visuals and to see that turn before anyone else did is something I'm proud of. I pointed it out to Ryan and then he wanted to ride it, I have to admit, I was happy he wanted to go first! We didn't think much of it other than it was creative and would look cool on video but you gotta admit, being the first to attempt that move took some serious balls. Everyone else made a big deal of it and then the Sedona folks didn't want to admit that it was our first apparently. Chewy did ride the WL first but he didn't make that connection to the lower ledge like Simons Bike Magazine article suggested. And lets be honest, it was that turn that made the WL what it is and gave it the notoriety.

Making false claims is some seriously shameful sh%t. Some of the Sedona riders could use a good lesson on integrity.

Edit: I need to add that it wasn't Simon that fabricated that story about the first person to ride the nose off the WL to the lower ledge but someone that was interviewed either told a tall tale or they at least didn't clarify the story so it was truthful. Either way Bike Magazine should want to get the story straight on Sedona's most famous move on their most famous line.

Beyond all of this, I think Chewy's line off of Hangover is the coolest line in Sedona that I've ridden. It's just the right amount of tech, exposure and fun ride-ability imho. Once the thrill is gone doing the WL it really isn't that much fun.
    Last edited by raisingarizona; 03-14-2018 at 12:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Keyhole? It does look quite a bit more off camber. Mad props to anyone duplicating Simon's line on Cathedral Rock.
    I think Justin MD is referring to the Plus line below the WL down the steep face to the close out crack. It's definitely a lot harder and it upped the ante but that's progression and it might have sat there for who knows how much longer untouched if it wasn't for the notoriety that zone gained from our efforts exploring in there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HoJo View Post
    The video doesn't do this ride justice, it's extremely steep and a fall will result in 100' + tumble. About 40% of the way down there is a 10' jump to a negative slope landing.
    Unlike the white line (now done by many others) which is scary but not technically challenging, this has not been attempted by anyone else, to my knowledge.
    Was awesome watching Simon ride that, however, I really wished they would have filmed it differently. While videos rarely capture how steep lines are, this one in particular was filmed so far out you just couldn't see anything in terms of technicality etc. I think had the drone been up closer it would have captured the reality of what he was riding. Regardless, amazing job Simon!

mtbr member
    This is a link to the Bike Mag article: http://devononeil.com/Stories/BIKP-170900-BOSMAN-1.pdf

The era of drone footage is over. Sedona is now anti-drone without prior authorization within 5 miles of the airport. That pretty much rules out all trails.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd531152.pdf

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HoJo View Post
    Simon is the man at riding the steep and awkward. there are so many lines in Sedona that I just refer to as Simon lines. I love steeps but I often don't even really see the lines he does until he rides em in front of me. Then I'll follow like......maybe 50% of the time.

mtbr member
    The era of drone footage is over. Sedona is now anti-drone without prior authorization within 5 miles of the airport. That pretty much rules out all trails.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd531152.pdf
    Yeah, that will stop people....
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Yeah, that will stop people....
    True but there are signs all over the place now. So you can't feign ignorance especially at Chicken Point which is crawling with pink jeeps and the occasional LEO.

mtbr member
    True but there are signs all over the place now. So you can't feign ignorance especially at Chicken Point which is crawling with pink jeeps and the occasional LEO.
    Fair enough. I just couldn't resist the opening. FWIW, I've yet to see a drone in use while mountain biking.....anywhere. I'm sure the day is coming.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer