riding in Tucson before SSUSA- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

riding in Tucson before SSUSA

I am rolling into town Wed before SSUSA with a few friends of mine. We are looking to ride Thurs and Friday before SSUSA on Saturday. Can anyone give me a few must ride trails if we only have 2 days? We are staying east of the city by Park Place Mall. I appreciate it. Also, any gear reccomendations? I typically run a 32-18 in GA and when riding in Asheville will run a 32-19...on a 29er of course

Tucson, AZ
    19t is good, possibly a 20t if you are not "racing."

I would head over and do 50 Year and either Brown Mtn/Starr Pass (Thrs) or Bug Springs (Fri-easier). A shame that the SSUSA does not do Bug Springs. Although, logistically, it would be a lot of road to add it to the route.

Riders should coordinate a shuttle ride out on the AZ Trail south of Tucson....it would be a great, recovery ride, 38 miles of almost pure singletrack.

mtbr member
    there is actually many great rides in Tucson to fill your two days. but I'm in PHX and all Tucsonian's know PHX people are scared of Tucson riding.

I normally run a 32:17 on my 26er. (same as your 32:19 29er). But for SSUSA, I'm drpping to at least 32:18. which is what I used for the Crazy 44. around the mountain in Flagstaff. the initial climb will be long, and can be steep once we get to trail. But if you climbing stuff in DuPont et al. on a 32:19 you might be fine.
    b

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    there is actually many great rides in Tucson to fill your two days. but I'm in PHX and all Tucsonian's know PHX people are scared of Tucson riding.
    PHX people are scared b/c they suddenly find themselves alone and confused. No trail markers, nobody on the trail....Not having competitive loops typically throughs them for another loop (pun intended).

Plus size jersey model
    I would also vote for 50yr for sure and Starr Pass/Golden Gate with possible a little Robles thrown in for some extra miles. Then what Chad said for Sunday some AZT or Bug Springs to get some beautiful recovery miles in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    PHX people are scared b/c they suddenly find themselves alone and confused. No trail markers, nobody on the trail....Not having competitive loops typically throughs them for another loop (pun intended).

You forgot to mention the COWS!
    b

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    You forgot to mention the COWS!
    The cows are primary trail builders in some parts of the area!

Fear not the cow -- fear what the cow leaves "behind"!
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

Tucson, AZ
    Maps/GPX are now up for the route this year.

Members who have read this thread: 0