Riding in Sedona/any where in Arizona after christmas.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Riding in Sedona/any where in Arizona after christmas.

I am from Wyoming and the snow is already here. I am planning a trip after christmas for 7 to 10 days and wanted to know what the riding at that time of year is like in the Sedona area or locations in Arizona in general. Also was wondering if anyone could recommend a trail guide book or some literature to make the most of a trip. I have several bikes and thought that I would bring my 6" nomad but also would like to know if possibly a 4" 26er or hardtail 29er might be a better option. I am looking to get out of the snow so the warmer the better and I would be camping the majority of the time so places that are ok to leave a bike or two locked up in a truck would be most desirable. Basically any help is what I am after. I can go to Vegas and ride Bootleg and out by redrocks as I have a place to stay down there but I wanted to try something new. Plus I have read and heard that Sedona is pretty amazing.
    Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I would recommend making it down to Phoenix to ride the Black Canyon Trail, the Goat Camp DH or XC in the White Tanks and all of the trails in the McDowell Mountains. You can camp at both the White Tanks and the McDowells. The BCT is on the way from Sedona to Phoenix.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sedona is great, but it's not going to be 'warm' around X-Mas . . . . You could easily ride there for a week straight but I would have a contingency plan based on weather. Have you ridden South Mtn yet? Definitely worth it. I would also recommend Tucson- tons o fun rides round here and a smaller town. Check out the vistors page for more recommendos or sdmb.org. . . . . I would just bring the Nomad, but I'm biased.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatass View Post
    Sedona is great, but it's not going to be 'warm' around X-Mas . . . . You could easily ride there for a week straight but I would have a contingency plan based on weather. I would just bring the Nomad, but I'm biased.
    Solid advise. It's usually warm to somebody from Wyoming! I ride Sedona year-round but if I were you, I'd have a back-up plan to ride some of the lower elevation if it's cold and rainy or snowy here.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

pedaller
    "The warmer the better" will bring you to PHX. I would plan for at least a day or 2 in Sedona because well, it's Sedona.

There are usually plenty of rides around PHX during the holidays so you shouldn't have trouble finding some "friends". If you like tech, then you have to ride South Mountain.

You could easily ride for a week without riding the same trail twice.

Any of those bikes will get the job done. The 4" bike can handle most of the trails around here and you could also have a lot of fun on the 29er too. Ride your favorite!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Good advice about the back-up plan. I do think that I will make it down to the pheonix area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Where you coming from in Wyoming? I lived in JXN for 4 years before moving here to Flagstaff. Sedona is a good choice, bring your Nomad and a full on XC bike. Lots of good trail riding and fr stuff as well. Send me a pm and if I can I'll tour you around Sedona.

Sedona Segment, Winter 10/11 - YouTube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfronk1 View Post
    Good advice about the back-up plan. I do think that I will make it down to the pheonix area.
    Just to give you an idea of what Sedona can be like in the winter, yesterday morning I woke to a heavy dusting of snow on the ground. Today, I rode and the trails were great. Granted, it was a little chilly at the trailhead but I was just fine when I got pedaling.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado